This is a super interesting thread and I'm totally not surprised about anything each of you have said and observed (and pointed out)....and just imagine further what additional impact is coming with 3D TV (it's impressive....already just like being there...the only thing missing is the smoke, smell, touch and personal interaction with the band) and, in another short while, robotics (we already have very impressive "animusic")....I can easily see it now: a live musical (of any music genre...you get to select that with a button push...no actually it'll probably be with just a verbal request) played entirely by robotic humanoids (we already have the successful hologram entertainer approach) that go through all the physical motions of a live band choreographed (even with improvisation based on randomization possibly to make each act unique across multiple performances...even on repeats of the same tune....even with a singer whose voice is up to you to choose as well (including your own....that'll just require your entering a bar or two of your own voice once at an earlier point in time).

Don't kid yourself, this robotics stuff in coming in a big, big way to all businesses and homes (China has a gigantic "leg up" on that right now...with many many things planned for operational release in the very near future). Soon your robot will mow for you (actually that's already here), fetch your beer or Dr. Pepper (a little more work is going on here in case your refrigerator is upstairs or in the basement), go outside and start the car to let it warm up prior to your leaving for work (that's actually here already also with the push of a button on your keychain for some vehicles), go fetch the morning paper (and read it to you if you wish) and, yes, even then play the melody of any tune you select (where BIAB plays the background rhythm...this capability is already here with BIAB 2011, cough, cough). So where will that leave the professional musician then?

Anything that Chet/Eric/Les/Stevie Ray etc., could do, I can imagine a very human-like robot (i.e., humanoid) programmed to not "miss a single lick", including facial expressions, body language, and even vocals if you so request) playing an actual instrument whereby you get to see the whole thing up close. My guess is that PGMusic is already looking downstream at their strategy when this "rounds the corner", right, Peter? Initially the background band will probably be in the form that animusic uses now....but, a band member at a time could be UPSed or FedExed in until you get the whole band purchased (they will occupy a corner, possibly, of your music room). You only need one initially to play one backup rhythm instrument. He/she won't eat your groceries, talk back, have an ego, play whenever you wish, carry on a conversation, make suggestions to improve your play/vocals, etc. etc....that could be nice.

I'd love to hear a panel discussion about all this with certain ones on the panel from this forum (including each of you in this thread).

Oh well....I'm in education and, well, I got to worry about "distance learning" and related things seriously impacting my future also...oh wait a minute, I'm 66 already...its my younger colleagues that have to step up to the challenge on that one. I'm outta there soon (to do music for "fun and grins" the rest of my life...with my BIAB-based robot friends assuming everyone else is busy watching TV).

I look forward to further thoughts from others about the "future of music and musicians"...I'm seriously worried about ya'll,

Cecil