Without specific suggestions and examples of why change is better, you seem to be advocating change for the sake of change, rather than to obtain a measurable improvement.

Changing an interface for the sake of changing an interface is not necessarily progress. For example, the core interface of BiaB is the "chordsheet" - a spreadsheet-like interface used to enter the chord progression. It's not particularly "fancy", given that the primary way to enter information isn't a popup menu, but typing. The basic design hasn't changed since the days of DOS, and a constant complaint seems to be that it's some sort of eyesore.

But it's a very fast and effective way to enter chord information, and it's not immediately obvious to me in what way it could be improved. In fact, it even allows commands to be entered into the cells ("begin" to set the beginning of the chorus, for example) which is a lot faster than using a mouse.

All complex software has a learning curve. I've found that, despite the amount of clutter in the interface, BiaB has a pretty low level of entry. Once the software configuration is complete - unfortunately, always fraught with issues on a PC - a beginner can quickly find success by entering a chord progression and choosing a style. Using this core idiom, BiaB leverages very little work on the user's part to create substantial results.

Did you have any specific ideas in mind for using a more modern UI to create results better than BiaB currently does?

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?