Hi Robb,

Your wife has a wonderfully ethereal quality to her voice. I really liked listening to her singing. I was reminded of Mary Hopkins and her folk songs back in the 60s and 70s.

Time only allowed me to listen to the "Mastered" version and I'm typing this now in case I forget. The mix and the balance sounded fine through my headphones. Every now and then, though, I found myself wondering about how an acoustic (or electronic), plucked bass would sound rather than the sustained bass (i.e. a single note on beat 1 of each bar that faded out as the bar progressed). Not that there's nothing wrong with that you have, it was simply a curiosity on my part and I mention it in case it's food for thought.

Musically, this song is very well assembled in all aspects. It is well written, well arranged and well produced. Kudos to you! At 5 minutes, though, it felt slightly longish. Have you thought about making the intro a little shorter? Lyrically, you've invented some terrifically rich word phrases: for example, "Beat one wing at the edge of the night", "morning's lone lark", "light quakes and waxes" etc. The lyricist side of me really envied your ability to come up with such phrases. They are wonderfully original and created good, strong images. At the end of the song, though, I wasn't sure of the journey that I'd been on. That could be me, though. I appreciate that in art we have the full spectrum from realism to abstract. With your work, while the genre is outside my understanding, I can feel the strong sense of musical "impressionism" that your lyrics conveyed.

Kind regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024