Quote:

...if you're writing simply for your own pleasure and you like it - it's fine.

I can't think of another reason for writing but my hope is others will enjoy it too. Else, I wouldn't share.

Quote:

Otherwise, this is a poem being sung.

Yes. That was more or less the intent of this song.

Quote:

Esoteric lyrics in poetry don't translate well into song lyrics.

No translation needed; it was meant to be esoteric. I hoped to create a feeling in the listener.

L. Rosenblatt argues that act of reading literature involves interaction between the reader and the text. Each "transaction" is unique insomuch as the reader will bring his own experience to the text. A written work (which she often refers to as a "poem") does not have the same meaning for everyone.

I think the same is true of music. Each listener brings their unique background knowledge and beliefs to the act of listening.

Quote:

Most songs are written with everyday language so people can sing along and remember the lyrics easily.

True, but I don't write (or listen to) pop music. The closest I come to that is folk and bluegrass.

Quote:

The challenge in writing lyrics is to make it descriptive using conversational...

I would agree with one change in wording. The challenge in writing ^pop^ lyrics is to...

Quote:

Listen to the lyrics of your favorite songs.

Is there For Honest Poverty
Flow Gently Sweet Afton
Highland Mary
Green Grows the Laurel
Roll on Silver Moon
Shenandoha

Quote:

Don't feel singled out.

Quite the opposite! I appreciate the feedback.

Quote:

Most people coming into songwriting from a poetry background...

I do write poetry. However, most of my lyrics are far less “poetic” then those of “The Wren”. I typically write family music with a touch of bluegrass and gospel
Quote:

Hope that helps. All the best.

Thank you again for your feedback.