Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#390597 01/15/17 02:40 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Before the new updated floating mixer there was a "slider" which used to adjust the volume of all instruments. This now seems as if this function has been removed.
I used that function all the time in my songs to get max volume from each track in the mix without adjusting the differential between tracks.
I know BIAB has an inbuilt clip mechanism but I used to be able to "drag" all the sliders up in unison into the "yellow", extracting the max out of the "quiter" tracks (some as you know seem to be recorded a little lower).
I miss this feature, is this still available "somewhere" that I just can't see (ie I can't find a way to select multiple sliders to raise and lower in unison.
Yes, I know I can raise the Master Slider for this song but that doesn't accomplish the same thing as it seems to "boost" the complete mix which may push the individual instruments into the "clipper" (Sort of like normalizing which I always avoid).
I know I can just start with "quiter" intruments and work back from there but the older floating mixer seemed more functional (to me) in getting the most out of the mix.
Hopefully, in the future we might see a "step back" to linking and adjusting all the sliders.

Last edited by Beachboy; 01/15/17 02:42 PM.

WIN 10, BIAB WIN2022, Studio One 5, Audient iD4
Beachboy #390600 01/15/17 02:47 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Beachboy
Before the new updated floating mixer there was a "slider" which used to adjust the volume of all instruments. This now seems as if this function has been removed.
I used that function all the time in my songs to get max volume from each track in the mix without adjusting the differential between tracks.

Is this the control you are referring to?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2017-01-16_11-42-58.jpg (110.25 KB, 73 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks VT,

No, the old "floating mixer" had a seperate slider (underneath) which moved all the Instrument Sliders in unison.
That way you saw the indivual meters of each track rising & falling.
This way, you only see the master track rising & falling.
Therefore, you can't see if any of the individual tracks are being "squashed" by the clipping mechanism.

Col

Beachboy #390630 01/15/17 09:09 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Col, OK, yes, now I understand.

That was the "Combo Mixer".

Yes, it would be great if it was available again.

The small floating mixer with that feature does not appear to be available in the latest 2017 version.

I don't recall the removal being mentioned in the release notes.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2017-01-16_17-57-57.jpg (48.91 KB, 53 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yes, that's the one, I used it all the time.
Hopefully, it might come back in the future??

Beachboy #390634 01/15/17 10:43 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Let's go to the wishlist...

Beachboy #390890 01/17/17 09:31 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I had asked for the additional of the "this song only" and "all songs" volume control (which was originally missing from the floating mixer), but didn't request the removal of the Combo volume button (which has value, but can also create volume problems if not used carefully).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #390926 01/17/17 11:16 AM
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi John,
The way I use the Combo Slider is, get the overall mix sounding OK, slide until the loudest instrument reaches the correct level (as indicated on the "fixed Mixer")
Actually, I had no use for the old "floating mixer" other than that and still not sure what point it serves now.
Col

Beachboy #390941 01/17/17 11:58 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
way I use the Combo Slider is, get the overall mix sounding OK, slide until the loudest instrument reaches the correct level (as indicated on the "fixed Mixer")

Yep, and that's the way I used it also, but when 2017 came out, the master volume controls (for "this song" and "all songs") were missing from the floating mixer, so you had to go back to the legacy interface to access it. I requested those be added to the floating mixer...which they did, but unfortunately removed the "Combo" volume control at the same time.

My comment regarding "being careful" was that if you pulled the Combo mixer all the way to the right or the left, then the volumes of all the tracks would go max or completely silent (depending upon the direction you slid it), and then you lost all the relative volumes you previously had. As long as you didn't pull it too far, it would preserved those relative volumes when you brought "Combo" back to center.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,300
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181