Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
M
mhch Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Running BIAB 2019 644 64 bits Windows 10.

BIAB starts correctly when launched from the start menu or when clicking a shortcut to its .exe, then opening a SGU or MGU file from the BIAB open menu works OK and all is file (I only use these file types with BIAB).

Problem is when clicking on the same SGU or MGU file in file explorer: BIAB starts and open its main window, but this window only contains the text menu bar ( "file", "edit", ... "help" ) and nothing else.

Trying to open a file using the "file -> open" menu does not work, nothin happens. But "file->exit" works so program isn't totally dead.

One point: in between clicking inside file explorer window and the opening of BIAB main window, I can see a very temporary appearance of a small window at the bottom right of the display, similar to those in which BIAB displays messages for instance when exporting audio, but this windows disappears immediately so there is no way to see what is displayed in it, which could give an idea of what's happening.

Since clicking on a file name launches BIAB correctly, the problem is likely not due to association problems. and since BIAB works OK when launched when opening a file, there is likely no style building problems

How to debug that ?
I tried some options to obtain a log file in the BIAB data folder, but nothing was of help.

Last edited by mhch; 07/21/20 06:32 AM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Right-click on the .SGU or .MGU files and select Properties. What application is it set to open with?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: mhch

I tried some options to obtain a log file in the BIAB data folder, but nothing was of help.
Was that Help, Utilities, Display Log Text file of Yellow/Green Messages ?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
M
mhch Offline OP
OP Offline
M

File properties say those file are opened by a Band-in-a-Box application

That what I described in my message here above: BIAB 64 opens but its window contents is weird, no chords, only the top task bar.

Veteran
Veteran
Is there anything relevant in Help, Utilities, Display Log Text file of Yellow/Green Messages?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
M
mhch Offline OP
OP Offline
M
As I said, the small appearance window disappears too quick to see anything, but it seems to look like a yellow/green message at the right bottom of the display.

Something must be wrong but how to find what ?
Must add I recently updated BIAB 2019 from its last previous version (don't remember the build # 632 ?? not sure) to 644. BIAB 644 worked OK.

Then I set up BB2go on an iPad which worked OK after performing the necessary network and firewall tweakig.

In addition I had to reset my install in C:// to be in in folder bb instead of BIAB. in 2019 I renamed bb to BIAB and I just did the reverse renaming BIAB to bb. because apparently BB2go expects that ..

M
mhch Offline OP
OP Offline
M

I tried to use the "Help -> Facilities -> Display Log File" ..

This menu entry exists in the BIAB launched from the start menu or by clicking on BIAB icon. "About Band in a Box" says buld 644

But it doesn't exist in the BIAB launched when clicking on a SGU file name. "About Band in a Box" says Build 615 ... Weird isn't it !!

So something is wrong within the file associations, but how to know ? File properties only say BIAB application ....

Would it be the case that this 615 build is the BIAB server used by BB2go ??

How to identify which executable is launched by file associations ??

Veteran
Veteran

That’s in Windows, Settings. I just wrote a post with the steps. I’ll find it.

EDIT: https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=84525&Number=605522#Post605522

Last edited by Matt Finley; 07/21/20 09:55 AM.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

I tried to use the "Help -> Facilities -> Display Log File" ..

This menu entry exists in the BIAB launched from the start menu or by clicking on BIAB icon. "About Band in a Box" says buld 644

But it doesn't exist in the BIAB launched when clicking on a SGU file name. "About Band in a Box" says Build 615 ... Weird isn't it !!

So something is wrong within the file associations, but how to know ? File properties only say BIAB application ....

Would it be the case that this 615 build is the BIAB server used by BB2go ??

Be careful how to interpret the contents of that file. The latest entries are at the top of the file.
You can also manually open it:
C:\bb\Data\Logs\FlashMessageLog.txt

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

As Andrew mentioned above:
"Right-click on the .SGU or .MGU files and select Properties. What application is it set to open with?"

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
M
mhch Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

As Andrew mentioned above:
"Right-click on the .SGU or .MGU files and select Properties. What application is it set to open with?"

I did that already: Properties only say "BIAB application" which doesn't say which executable is used !!

To go further, I looked at what is shown by "help -> about Band in a Box" menu entry:

- for BIAB launched by clicking on its associated desktop icon : build 644 the correct program which works OK everything works OK

- for BIAB launched by clicking on a .SGU file, build 615 which displays an almost empty window.

Looking at the properties -> details for the .exe files located in main bb directory
- bbw64.exe and bbw.exe are build 644,
- bbw3.exe is build 509
- bbw4.exe is build 615

I'm not familiar enough with the registry but for sure File Associations must be represented in there, so I searched for the .SGU extension. I found I found entries in ApplicationAssociationToasts

Applications\bbw4.exe_.SGU
Applications\bbw64.exe_.SGU

and also

Applications\AcroRD.exe_.SGU

No idea of what that means ...

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
Properties only say "BIAB application" which doesn't say which executable is used

I wish it did also. I would expect it to normally be "bbw64.exe". Click on [Change], then click on "More apps", then scroll all the way down and click on "Look for another 'app' on this PC". Locate and select bbw64.exe. This is one way to change your file association in Windows 10, at least it usually seems to work for me.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
M
mhch Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Quote:
Properties only say "BIAB application" which doesn't say which executable is used

I wish it did also. I would expect it to normally be "bbw64.exe". Click on [Change], then click on "More apps", then scroll all the way down and click on "Look for another 'app' on this PC". Locate and select bbw64.exe. This is one way to change your file association in Windows 10, at least it usually seems to work for me.

I described how I identified the launched executable, it was bbw64.exe if clicking the desktop program icon, and bbw4.exe when clicking on a .SGU file . Use the help-> "about Band-in-a-Box" menu entry, which displays the name of the .exe file along wirh other things.

problem SOLVED when following this exact sequence of operations:

- right click on a .SGU filename

- select "open with" then "choose another app"

- the "Band-in-a-Box application" which is listed is wrong (it's the one currently used). Scroll down the list and click on "choose another app on this PC" located at the list end.

- file explorer pops up, navigate to the bb folder and click on bbw64.exe. Before clicking, make sure to tick the "always use this app" button otherwise the association isn't modified

Must do that for every type of BIAB file extensions like .MGU which you may use.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,326
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181