Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
PWeldon Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello ... I am relatively new to BIAB, having purchased it about a month ago. So far I have found the software relatively intuitive for what I have been using it for, which is primarily to create backing tracks. I have knocked out quite a few backing tracks already and am having fun with the software. I realize I am barely scratching the surface of what the software can do. It does seem a little intimidating with regards to the GUI.

I am having an issue charting one small passing section in a tune called Labelled with Love (Squeeze), which is a somewhat straightforward country-ish tune in 4/4, key of E, at 90bpm. I am charting it in D since the vocal is pretty high. Throughout the song, there is a little passage that is a quick 3 beat turn-around, and I cannot seem to get it to sound quite right. I assume I am missing something, but I have tried a number of ways of charting it, but it just doesn't sound right. My thought is that this is not very uncommon, so it must be possible. As a reference, the passage is here at 41 secs in: https://youtu.be/j3R7Op1oufA ... and also repeats a number of times throughout the song whenever he sings the title "labelled with love' and is one chord (or note) per word. My thought is that because it is 3 beats and resolves back on the D in this manner: G > F#m, Em .... D, that bar is not in 4/4, but instead only has 3 beats, so I tried changing that one bar to 3/4, but the timing still doesn't sound correct and/or I cannot get the G > F#m > Em to match the vocal line in the same timing. I also tried changing the tempo for just that bar in an attempt to match the timing of the vocal, but in playing around with various tempos for that bar, I cannot seem to get this to sound right, so I figured it was time to post my first question. What it sounds like to me is that the tempo of the song overall is 90 bpm, but that one bar is perhaps double-time, so I attempted that, but again, it did not sound right. I imagine I am missing something obvious, but alas, I cannot figure it out. I will be happy to share my song (SGU) file, if needed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone may be able to provide.

Peter

BIAB for Windows Version 2020 (713)
Windows 7 64-bit
DAW: Reaper
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
It sounds like a triplet over 2 notes.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

What's happening in that bar is a set of 1/2-note triplets. That is, three 1/2-notes are played in the same time that it normally takes two 1/2-notes to play. In other words, 3 x 1/2-notes are played in the time of a single 4/4 bar.

Your approach to the solution is correct. To get the chords to sound correct, it's necessary to create a bar with 3 beats and it's necessary to change the timing so that the bar plays those 3 beats in the same time that it takes 4 x 1/4-note to play the song's main tempo. The chords then need to be added to each of those beats.

To accomplish this....

Firstly.... some calculations are needed because the tempo needs to be slowed down for that bar so that three notes play in the same time as four notes.

To do this, set the tempo of the first bar to 3/4 the tempo of the original song's tempo. This slows that bar's tempo down so that 3 beats will play in the same time as the rest of the song's 4 beats.

Here's how I would do the above...

I'm going to use a tempo of 96 (which seems to be around the bpm of the Youtube clip). I'm applying the below procedure to bar 18 (it will be a different bar for you).

1. select bar 18

2. enter into Bar Settings (press F5)

3. Change "# beats this bar" to '3'

4. Calculate the tempo of this bar = 3/4 of 96 --- that is 0.75x96 which is 72

5. still in bar settings, set the "Tempo change to" to '72'

Now the following bar needs to be returned to the song's main format. To do this...

6. click on bar 19

7. enter into Bar Settings

8. change "# beats this bar" to '4' and set the "Tempo change to" to 96

Lastly, chords need to be entered into bar 18. The first half of bar 18 requires two chords. These will separated by typing a comma between them. The second half of bar 18 will use a single chord on beat 3.

9. select bar 18 and type G,F#m <enter> Em

10. it is also worth trying these chords using the 'holds' option in Chord Settings (ALT+F5) --- to this, type G...,F#m... <enter> Em... (the three periods tell BIAB to 'hold' the chord).

11. If neither the above work, try using 'shots' instead of holds -- that is use two periods rather than three: G..,F#m.. <enter> Em..

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
PWeldon Offline OP
OP Offline
Noel ... thank you so much for your reply and detailed explanation/suggestion. I truly appreciate it. I'm glad I was on the right path, particularly since I am pretty new to BIAB. I got pretty close in setting the bar to 3 beats and then changing the tempo by various amounts, but while it was 'close', it didn't 'feel' natural ... but since this doesn't feel unnatural to play, and is somewhat common, I figured it could be done. This does sound a bit long winded to achieve, I will give your suggestion a try.

Thanks again for the help. There is one other song that has a similar thing happening that I will likely be able to apply this to.

Cheers!

-peter

Windows 7 64-bit
Veteran
Veteran
When you have to do tempo adjustments over time it involves math .. sometimes complex math.
I hate doing math (too much room for error when I do it), so I started writing little calculator apps to do it for me.
The third entry at the link below does this for you.
"Adjust Tempo for Time Signature"
It'll tell you the tempo change needed to make a 3/4 bar take the same amount of 'real time' to match a 4/4 bar .. or 6/4 or 5/4 for that matter. The computer does the work.
http://tools.masteringmatters.com/

The calculator assumes quarter note as the tempo (*/4), and confirms Noels maths <grin>
If your time signature is eighth note, you have to double all the input numbers.

/I thought about making the denominator an option (half, quarter, eighth note etc) but then it looked too complicated for the user (mainly me).

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
TempoCalc.jpg (24.01 KB, 46 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
To Both RHarv & Noel, these solutions should both be in the Tips And Tricks section (if not already there)

Excellent, really excellent.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
PWeldon Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Noel ... just a quick follow-up; I had pretty much done exactly what you laid out prior to me posting my query aside from the calculation of .75 x 96bpm = 72bpm. I actually had it in my mind that it needed to be quicker, not slower ... but also must admit that I am terrible at math and wouldn't have thought to use math here. I just kept trying different higher tempos, but obviously without using the math, none of the tempos I tried sounded right/even.

In trying your suggestion, which had a similar outcome as my earlier attempt, the 3 beat passage was actually slower. So using your logic, I tried 1.50 x 96 (= 144bpm)and that seemed to do the trick in terms of timing. I will say this, BIAB does not deal with this gracefully, however. I am trying holds and shots and while holds seem to sound a bit better, it feels a little stiff and the beginning of the following bar back at the 96bpm tempo seems to get a little cut-off (hard to explain).

All of that said, your explanation/suggestion was very helpful in me understanding how to handle this situation, so I greatly appreciate the time you took to explain it.

My hope is that PG Music improves upon this. I can think of a lot of situations where this is used.

Thanks again.

Last edited by PWeldon; 02/26/20 07:45 PM.

Windows 7 64-bit
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Peter,

Ahh... I didn't listen closely enough to the music. It's actually a triplet played across two notes in 4/4 and not four notes. In other words, the tempo needs to change by 3/2 x 96.

The formula for the new tempo is still given by the below, it's just that the denominator of the fraction now becomes 2 instead of 4.

With more considered listening, it sounds like this bar is a 2-beat bar in amongst 4-beat bars and that it contains a quarter note triplet in it. Your solution is perfect for this.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
PWeldon Offline OP
OP Offline
rharv ... thanks so much for reply. And for that nifty calculator. I’m absolutely terrible at math, so this will come in handy. I think I now have an acceptable passage in that bar in terms of timing, but as I mentioned to Noel, the sound during that bar is not very good and/or sticks out. Perhaps it’s a limitation of the software, or what I am asking the software to do.

I learned something from posting this question, so that is a positive. I really appreciate folks taking the time to help, and I hope I can get to a place with the software to help others myself.

Thanks for your time and again, for sharing the calculator.

Peter

Windows 7 64-bit
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,317
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182