Print Thread
Go To
#265969 10/18/14 09:02 PM
User Showcase
gibson Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
At college in the 70's I lived in Camden Town London and Rob + Anne Marie's song Camden Town(never give up on love) set me thinking. Then I read C fogle's intro to his song From you to me and told him how I changed one song, which I wrote it between 1971-75, and it's about about a room in the basement of the Hospital Union Union bar in which an old knackered Steinway sat all lonely and forlorn. I wrote many songs in that room and this song is one of them.

It was then meant to be just me on piano but years later I found BIAB and so it became a country ballad then I got bored with it having listened to it a few times. SO. I bounced just the vocals to a 44hz stero wav from my DAW and imported it into the original, 1st version, BIAB song and experimented with random RTs to see which fitted the timing of my vocal and ended up with the second version.

BUT I don't know which sounds better now!
SO was it worth it LOL

The place that I go to

RealTracks in style: ~~535:Bass, Electric, Pop Sw 085
RealTracks in style: 2124:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryShuffleJohn Sw 120
RealTracks in style: ~~530:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 085
RealTracks in song: ~824:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Country Waltz Sw 085
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleBrushesClassicShuffle: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes,

or A place that I go to

RealTracks in song: ~1121:Bass, Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in song: ~824:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Country Waltz Sw 085
RealTracks in song: ~2053:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryWaltzBrent Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 1152:Silence
RealTracks in song: ~530:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 085

The place that I go to when I feel low
that gives me peace of mind
noone else knows it cos I'll never show it
because it's mine

its where I always go when I feel low
it makes me feel at ease
the place that I go to is always on my mind

There's a time of the day I lock meself away
just to get some peace of mind
because it's mine

it makes me feel at ease

I feel it deep inside of me
whenever I'm awake
I feel it holding me
who says that love draws no wage

There's a time of the day I lock me away
just to get some peace of mind
because it's mine

it makes me feel at ease

I hope you enjoy at least one version crazy LOL

Alyn

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I choose "THE place that I go to" as my favorite. For me, everything fits comfortably with this version. Both are good.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Alyn.

Yes, I prefer the first one - THE place..

Great song which the minimalist production suits really well.

Conjured up pictures of the basement with the Steinway as I listened to it. Maybe we could all use a room like that at times.

You still haven't written a song which I don't like. (Excuse the double negative.)

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Alyn,
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
I choose "THE place that I go to" as my favorite. For me, everything fits comfortably with this version. Both are good.

+1

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Alyn,
Originally Posted By: c_fogle

+1

Guenter

Plus 2 --- but they both fit well.

Neat write and we enjoyed
the listens.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'll go with the crowd... the first one...

Something about your songs is always so "affecting". This made me sort of sad... like I need a place to go...

I enjoy listening to your life.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I liked the second better... But it's nice having both, so there's really no need to choose!

Good writing!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alyn, both are really good but I like the first version the best. But that is today and that may change tomorrow. That is how close I think these are!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
gibson Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Thanks Charlie for commenting. The original, country version, seems to be the favourite.

Quote:
You still haven't written a song which I don't like.
Thanks a lot for that ROG. But it sounds like a challenge to little ole me LOL

Thanks for commenting Guenter, I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Plus 2 --- but they both fit well.

Thanks Janice and Bud. the 2 versions show the beauty of BIAB. I could never live with out it!!

Alyn

User Showcase
gibson Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Something about your songs is always so "affecting". This made me sort of sad... like I need a place to go...

I enjoy listening to your life.

That's a really nice thing to say, thank you floyd.
I struggle writing conventional songs as I write my songs to escape from life but my life is in my songs!!

Quote:
I liked the second better... But it's nice having both, so there's really no need to choose!
Good writing!

Thanks a lot David, I too found it difficult to choose

Quote:
Alyn, both are really good but I like the first version the best. But that is today and that may change tomorrow. That is how close I think these are!

Thanks Mario, I really appreciate what you say. BIAB is such a versatile programme.

TO ALL,
I now like the 1st version the best and may use the idea for a new song sometime. I only posted them after my comment on c-fogle's, Charlie's, latest masterpiece.
My next song WILL be different!

thanks to all

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alyn, I vote for the 1st one. Like ROG, I also can picture you in the basement at the steinway. Seems like a good place to go. Nice job. Tom

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Very cool!! There's a really honest and wholesome feel to all your productions. I think when Lennon died in 1980, a piece of his spirit jumped into your body. BTW, how do you do your vocal processing? Very cool all the way around! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
gibson Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Tom,

I spent hours in that basement room, no one else seemed to use it. Wish I had a picture of what it really looked like.

Yeh I now am stuck on the 1st version too!!

thanks for listening

Alyn

User Showcase
gibson Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Greg,
Quote:
I think when Lennon died in 1980, a piece of his spirit jumped into your body
Oh if only that WAS true. He and George were my fab Beatles!

I record my vocal flat (no fx), no effects apart from a noise gate. With either a foam mic cover, on my Rode NT2 or a home made pop shield (ladies tights over a bent metal coat hanger)Using Line Port DiG Toneport. Sometimes also holding a pencil upright between me and the mic to "break up the plosives" Mic is positioned so my head "points up" a bit as I heard somewhere that this helps to sing in tune and I need all the help I can get LOL.
Then to mix the vox I lightly compress using the Classic free compressor, then a slap plate echo, in the Line 6 VST, with early reflections adjusted for a semi live feel. Then maybe a small bit of 1/8 or 1/16 repeat echo.
I always reduce the few lower frequencies my voice has with the eg in my DAW Cubase SX
I never use autotune, GSnap in my case, on my main vox but may, very infrequently, use it on the backing vocals.
Hope this helps

thanks for listening

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Alyn,

Well I definitely prefer the first version 'The Place That I Go'
I like the steady beat and 'clean' groove of it. Makes me think of...... Gilbert O'Sullivan.
The drums sound very nice and clear.
You've got just the voice for this song!

Regards,
Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Alyn,

I like both versions and I could see myself preferring a different one as 'favourite' depending on the day of the week. As it stood today, the first version appealed.

As so many have already said, your songs are just great to listen to. When it comes to songwriting, you have a very distinctive compositional 'voice' that threads its way through all you do.

It's definitely two thumbs up from me for this one.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
gibson Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Rob and Anne-Marie,

Quote:
Makes me think of...... Gilbert O'Sullivan.

You've got just the voice for this song!

Wow do I make my influences so clear in my songs!! Must be that room, as I spent hours in there learning his early stuff.
Thank you, I have always wished my voice sounded different but I eventually realised I was stuck with it!!!

Alyn

Noel
Quote:
When it comes to songwriting, you have a very distinctive compositional 'voice' that threads its way through all you do.

I have written what I call songs crazy since my middle teens so I suppose I have developed a "style" of writing. I was a young classically trained pianist, Grade 5 of the Royal Academy of Music at the age of 11, until my teacher threw me out, much to my parents' chagrin, when she caught me playing rock and roll instead of practicing my set pieces laugh

Thanks for listening

Alyn

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,306
Posts731,340
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213