Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#729335 08/27/22 11:21 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello everyone - how are you? Long time no see.

I'm (supposed to be, at least) on a sabbatical from songwriting, for a while ... but I had some spare time, this morning, so I sat down to write. I came up with this - hope you like it, but all comments are very welcome. Thanks for listening, and thank you PG Music.

Happy Birthday

THE LYRICS:

I'd just like to wish you "Happy Birthday"
I have waited long to tell you this,
The last time we talked, it ended badly,
Now we've lost the chance for that one kiss ...

I'd just like to wish you a good life
And, what else you do, don't think of me ...
I'll be fine, with my dreams and my angels,
Whatever you do, please let me be ...

I know, very well, you saved me often ...
Your beautiful, soft eyes and stunning hair;
I know you're somewhere else by now,
You coming back, the chance of that, is never ...

I'd just like to wish you only joy
And may all you desire become true ...
I know, no need to hope, you will be happy ...
Forgive me, please, for even thinking of you ...

I'd just like to wish you "Happy Birthday";
No need to lament the bitter past;
If you wrote back, I know I would be happy;
But you will not ... and I have peace, at last.

THE BAND:

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Happy Birthday - 28 August 2022
File:Happy Birthday - 28 August 2022.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 85, Length (m:s)=2:49
No intro. 56 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 56. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _FRESNO.STY (Fresno California Songwriter Pop)

RealTracks in style: 3467:Bass, Electric, AmericanaSyncSteveAB Ev16 085
RealTracks in style: 1006:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment, PopCaliforniaSlow Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2975:Vocal Oohs-Aahs, Rhythm Pop3-part Ev 085
RealDrums in style:AmericanaSlow8thsFred: a: Snare, HiHat b: Snare, Ride

Voice recorded and mixed in Mixcraft Pro Studio 9

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very romantic song James. Well done.

I particularly liked the Voice oohs in the mix.

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This was a surprise. Not what I expected from the title. Really cool song and lyric. Excellent delivery of the vocal. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
James,

A very signature sound and vocal delivery—really like the tempo of this one, and the use of the BIAB background vocal tracks (they fit really nicely). It’s a good write, and it could have been done with a more sad tone . . . but I think the tempo and your vocal delivery is more in keeping with the message and spirit of the lyric. Not sure my comment makes sense, but there it is.

All my best to you,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Rob: thank you. I was going for "romantic", so glad it came through! :-) Thanks again for such a nice comment.

Scott: thanks for listening, once more. Again, I was going for that - the surprise effect. I'm so glad you enjoyed the song.

Deej: firstly, thanks so much for listening. It's always an honour when someone like you listens and gives honest comments and genuine advice. Yes, a signature sound. I have to move away from this kind of songs, but - then again - the cup ain't empty until it's empty, I find. That's what my sabbatical, away from songwriting (for me), was supposed to be about ... refresh my mind, recharge my batteries and return with a fresh, or at least refined, sound. But ... a certain birthday was approaching, so I decided to return to the songwriting table, haha. In short, the sound is the same, I find, whenever I write THIS kinda song ... for good or bad, I guess.

Yes, could have been done in a more sad tone, but there are sunny sides to the song. Better to have loved and lost, etc. - that kind of thing, right? Would have been unfair for me, I find, to have used a sadder tone, here, given the "spirit of the lyrics", as you yourself say, no? So ... I'm going to differ from you, here, and say that I rather like the tone of the song, haha :-) No need to be sad about anything, here, is the ultimate message of this song, perhaps ... who knows, right?

I'm glad you liked the tempo and delivery :-) They are of course crucial in putting the message across, so I'm glad they worked :-)

THANKS for listening!

EDIT: erm, oops. Sorry, Deej. I think, on re-reading your comments, that we may actually be on the same page. Sorry, in that case ... teach me to log in late at night on here and read comments - argh, haha. From now on, I'll try to only reply to comments with a clear head, and read them properly before I do reply :-) . Hope you get to read this! Thanks again for listening, to you and all.

Last edited by musician17; 08/28/22 10:16 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James,

It's good to see you pop in for a quick post! The track sounds great! Hope you don't have to stay away long!

Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Torrey! Let's hope the musical cobwebs clear quickly in my head, and I am able to think of what (and how) I want to write next :-) Glad you liked the track :-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful and sad lyrics turning slightly on to the positive side, nice chord progression to support the story. The arrangement sounds pleasantly smooth, that piano is the highlight, one of the best RTs, works with many songs. No need for any sabbatical if your creativity flows this well smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi James ...

As I've said so many times previously, you are the master of the spoken word song. This is so sentimental and truly lovely. Your [hrasing is perfect and you have a certain likeable panache about your delivery that I enjoy.

Excellent work, my friend! Always enjoy your work.

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Alan, ever so kind from you, as always. Hope you and yours are ok? :-) Take good care!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James,

Very lovely piece, nice chords. I was trying to think of some artists who did a lot of spoken material. All I could think of was Red Sovine and Conway Twitty. I'm sure there are others. Looks like you've got your own niche. You might want to try working with synth voices, some here have gotten good results with them. Just a suggestion.

*I went back and googled 'spoken word artists" and of course I found plenty. I even found a list of spoken word songs by artists who normally sing. So you're in good company!

Last edited by TuneMonger; 09/01/22 02:59 PM.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James, you are the master of spoken words set to music!

The lyrics are outstanding as is your delivery of them!

Outstanding backing band.

IMHO this is your best to date.

Loved it

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice take on the lost love sentiment.

Excellent arrangement and that piano is standout.
Gonna have to check and see if there is a MST version.
A Grand Steinway sound on it would be superb.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Tunemonger: thank you. Yes, plenty of spoken word artists around. I do like to sing from time to time, haha ... but also feel that, in my most recent songs, the message was best conveyed through speech. Whether right or wrong, who knows! Thanks for listening! :-)

Mario: you're way too kind, but I'm so glad you liked it. Thanks!!!

Janice and Bud: thanks! Yes, I thought it would be a good way of bringing this theme to an end, or at least a standstill, for now. I didn't know how I'd do it, but then the "pretext" of a birthday came to mind ... they're always a good way of reflecting on what has been and what the future may bring. And yes, the piano is a great track!!! Do let me know if you can find an MST version of it ... I haven't had a chance to look for myself just yet ... argh ... :-)

Thanks so much, everyone, for listening and for such kind comments - and thanks PG Music!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, JAMES. Long time no see, but I DO get to hear you often and I like that. Happy birthday to you --whenever that is. Birthdays without the year and first names are what I remember about almost everyone I know. Your song is one I can sing every September first. Wonderful lyrics and a beautiful sentiment.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks, Marty. Kind as always.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,634
Posts735,250
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181