Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#164135 06/28/12 06:10 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My wife and I recorded this little ditty to test out the up tempo bluegrass realtracks. It's a simple three chorder that we wrote a while back when playing in a BG band but we thought it's be a good way to check out the realtracks.

Vocals: My wife on lead, tenor and baritone (hey, we don't have anybody around now days to sing harmony!)
Instruments: All BIAB
Mic: Blue
Mixing: GarageBand

Heading West

This evening we are gonna start on a project that might be interesting or a total disaster. We are going to take an 18th century murder ballad (typically done in a folk or bluegrass style) and arrange to a reggae rhythm. Guess it could be called reggaebilly or reggaegrass

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Very nice original BG song. Great voice and nice vocal chops. What BIAB style and REAL TRACKS did you use? Any MELODIST and/or SOLOIST tracks? Excelent job. Keep 'em coming!

Bob

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Nice Ditty indead. Your wife has a wonderful voice. exceptional mix! Thanks for sharing! Look forward to hearing more.

My Music

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool song and great vocals - I enjoyed this.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks folks! And to answer Hawgly's question these are the tracks we used:

Bluegrass Bass 592
Bluegrass Rhythm Guitar 598
Bluegrass Rhythm Banjo 589
Bluegrass Rhythm Fiddle 930
Bluegrass Rhythm Mandolin 432
Bluegrass Solo Banjo 433
Bluegrass Solo Fiddle 596
Bluegrass Solo Mandolin 436

I also used both of the Bluegrass Solo Guitar tracks to extract runs to add to different parts of the song as the Bluegrass Rhythm Guitar track is pretty minimalist.

There was a lot of cutting and splicing on the Solo tracks as I would generate four or five and via Garageband piece them together in a manner that worked best (I hope) with the melody that we wrote.

As far as the bass and rhythm guitar goes it would be less time consuming for us just to play the parts ourselves but it's fun seeing how far you can go with realtracks.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Here at the NC/Va border there are a lot of musicians keeping authentic traditional bluegrass alive. Your song is perfectly in synch with what I hear around here. Your wife's voice really nails it! Great job!

If you made a CD of originals you could sell them all day long at shops along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Gospel is well received in that genre, and so are traditional standards.

Originals can also sell if you sing about things that are dear to the hearts of the audience, such as local history, the mountains, a simple life style, honesty and hard work.

On the other hand, locals can tell when the CD is made by a yankee trying to commercialize bluegrass, and they typically won't support that.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Here at the NC/Va border there are a lot of musicians keeping authentic traditional bluegrass alive. Your song is perfectly in synch with what I hear around here. Your wife's voice really nails it! Great job!

If you made a CD of originals you could sell them all day long at shops along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Gospel is well received in that genre, and so are traditional standards.

Originals can also sell if you sing about things that are dear to the hearts of the audience, such as local history, the mountains, a simple life style, honesty and hard work.

On the other hand, locals can tell when the CD is made by a yankee trying to commercialize bluegrass, and they typically won't support that.

Well, I don't think anyone would accuse my wife of not sounding authentic as she comes from north GA mountain stock! I wish I could post covers here as she has done some really amazing versions of some obscure bluegrass tunes. We also have a CD of covers and songs that we wrote and recorded with the late great Randy Howard playing fiddle, mando and lead guitar -- but they aren't BIAB creations. If there is interest, as there seems to be, in Bluegrass here we might redo some of them with BIAB tracks and post them. We'll have our Reggaebilly tune finished soon to post. Thank you for your comments!!

PS If you missed our previous Civil War song/vid that we here's a link to it: Dear Mama Video

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Well, I don't think anyone would accuse my wife of not sounding authentic as she comes from north GA mountain stock! I wish I could post covers here as she has done some really amazing versions of some obscure bluegrass tunes. We also have a CD of covers and songs that we wrote and recorded with the late great Randy Howard playing fiddle, mando and lead guitar --

so THAT'S why you sound so good! You ain't no newbie to this!

Quote:

but they aren't BIAB creations. If there is interest, as there seems to be, in Bluegrass here we might redo some of them with BIAB tracks and post them. We'll have our Reggaebilly tune finished soon to post.

Cool! I look forward to hearing them!

Quote:

Thank you for your comments!!

thank you for posting!

Quote:

PS If you missed our previous Civil War song/vid that we here's a link to it: Dear Mama Video

I had missed that on the first go-round, but I just got back from following your link... very nice song and video! I'm favorably impressed!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like this too. Enjoyed it a lot!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
this is good stuff great vocals and song layout mix right on thanks for sharing eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,276
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181