Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#214425 09/09/13 11:43 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is a song about being left behind. There are so many ways throughout life in which we can be left behind and in this track I've tried to capture some of the emotions, loneliness, sadness, anger, which can all get mixed up together in these situations.

I'm indebted to Ellie, Jessie and Courtney, who at seventeen have probably never been left behind, but who still sang their hearts out to make this work. The rest of it was, of course, all done in Power Tracks.

TAKE ME WITH YOU
Anywhere, any time, any place, I don't mind
Hot or cold, it's all the same
All you've got to do is call my name

So take me with you when you go
Do you want to leave me feeling low
Don't you know that time goes so slow
So won't you take me with you when you go

I don't mind, where we go, any place, high or low
There's no need, to make a plan
All you've got to do is take my hand

And if you find yourself alone
When everyone has gone
Then you'll know just how it feels.

A serious topic, but I hope there's still some entertainment value left.
Thanks for listening.

ROG.

ROG #214427 09/09/13 12:07 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
nice job on the song.

Are these BB/RB tracks mixed in with live players?

It sounds good.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
ROG #214429 09/09/13 12:28 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rog,

your stuff has such a fresh feel to it.. I suppose because you control every aspect of the song and play it yourself.

I didn't think the topic came across as seriously as I expected based on your introduction... to me it sounded like a regular pop ditty. But I'm sure you are a lot more invested in it emotionally after laboring over every aspect of the projects conception and birth.

The lead singer really impressed me... her breathy voice is brimming with confidence and control.

Your intro caught my attention... I always wonder how people think up interesting ways to begin a song other than a couple bars of exactly what the rest of the song is... but those two sustained chords created a nice opening without giving away what was coming.

I also like to note the various decorations you sprinkle throughout your songs. They are always very original and tasteful. To me, those are the touches that make a song stand out from other songs.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear this on the radio... its as good as or better than most of the music I've listened to for most of my life.

You already know how highly I regard you as a musician and recording engineer. This song just validates that even further

ROG #214438 09/09/13 02:31 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rog,

The song and overall presentation is great... Agree with Pat, this sounds radio ready.

Bob

ROG #214447 09/09/13 03:15 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Herb - thanks for the listen and the comments.

There's no BiaB or RTs in this one, just me playing the tracks into PowerTracks. The drums are our own samples programmed up in MIDI. I do have an ageing copy of BiaB, but most of my stuff gets recorded, mixed and mastered in PowerTracks these days.

I've been using PT for years and I just like the way it works - I tend to do everything from the Mixer and the Bars windows which allows me to work much like I used to do with tape and large format mixers all those years ago. Not that I'd want to go back to tape, you understand - in this song we used up 24 tracks just with vocals on! In the past, we'd have been locking machines together, or more likely just doing endless sub-mixes.

Thanks again for looking in.

ROG.

ROG #214449 09/09/13 03:23 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pat - once again you make me blush!

The voices are a real mixture on this one. The first voice you hear is Ellie and where the chorus kicks in Jess picks up the lead and Elle takes the three-part harmony. When it moves into the quiet section, that's just Jess on lead and harmony and the piece after that is all Courtney.

If we ever get the band to do the tour of the US you'll get to see them live. Now that really IS something!

Thanks again for the nice comments.

ROG.

ROG #214450 09/09/13 03:24 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob - Thanks for listening and the positive comments.

It's always a big help to get feedback.

ROG.

ROG #214454 09/09/13 03:39 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Pat - once again you make me blush!

The voices are a real mixture on this one. The first voice you hear is Ellie and where the chorus kicks in Jess picks up the lead and Elle takes the three-part harmony. When it moves into the quiet section, that's just Jess on lead and harmony and the piece after that is all Courtney.

well in that case I'm impressed with ALL of them! An outstanding job all around! You must be quite proud of your students!

Quote:
If we ever get the band to do the tour of the US you'll get to see them live. Now that really IS something!

hey, if the band tours the USA y'all are invited to stay at my house to save on tour costs. Let me know before you come so I can try to book some local gigs... or it might make more sense to contact a booking agent, explain the situation, and let him/her take it from there.

Quote:
Thanks again for the nice comments.

ROG.

just tellin' it like it is, bro!

ROG #214456 09/09/13 03:42 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
This is a good one. The instrumentation sounds mighty fine. 24 tracks of vocals!!!!! I think I am push the limits when I use 4, 5 or 6 tracks of vocals (ha, ha). Very cool sound and the vocals are working for me.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
ROG #214459 09/09/13 03:56 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Kevin.

Many thanks - I always value your opinion.

Hey, I tuned in to your live show just in time to see you signing off. A curse on this time difference! Next time I'm gonna set an alarm.

I'm full of respect for the courage it must take to do something like that. I've done enough gigs in my time, but that would scare me half to death. Be sure to post in good time to let us know about the next one.

ROG.

ROG #214461 09/09/13 04:37 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Kevin.

Many thanks - I always value your opinion.

Hey, I tuned in to your live show just in time to see you signing off. A curse on this time difference! Next time I'm gonna set an alarm.

I'm full of respect for the courage it must take to do something like that. I've done enough gigs in my time, but that would scare me half to death. Be sure to post in good time to let us know about the next one.

ROG.

he's playing this coming Saturday at 2:30 pm your time (9:30 am my time, East Coast time)

ROG #214474 09/09/13 07:40 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This sounds like what Bananarama SHOULD have been, instead of the cr*p they were. (apologies for the poor use of english there!!)Takes me straight back to the'80's....

The vocals are always excellent but 24 tracks of them!!LOL As Kemmrich I thought my 8+ was overkill but then the girls can sing and they make the current crop of girl bands sound ******

Your sound shows exactly what can be done with a DAW, if you have the talent and time. You certainly have the talent.
I do like the middle 8 bit from 2.00 onwards with answering guitar and the return with the synth motif.
It must be nice to work with such talented singers who can showcase your writing and production skills.

And who needs the other considerably more expensive DAW with the same initials?

Alyn

ROG #214476 09/09/13 10:06 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG,

I'm an 80's fan so this song is up my alley.

The best overall vocals I've heard from the girls yet - and notice I say YET because they continue to outdo themselves.

As do you on these projects. Amazing.

The only thing else I really wish you'd do is grab the camera and make a video of them doing this one for youtube ....puhleeeese! <grin>

Love it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Rog,

The song and overall presentation is great... Agree with Pat, this sounds radio ready.

Bob

Agree!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance

The only thing else I really wish you'd do is grab the camera and make a video of them doing this one for youtube ....puhleeeese! <grin>

Hey, GREAT idea Josie!
+1

and make sure YOU'RE in the video too, playing all those instruments...

ROG #214495 09/10/13 06:44 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I learned something..... Power Tracks is a DAW by PG.

I need to "get out" more.....

Nice job on this tune. 24 vox tracks..... that's a chore. but it sounds good the way you mixed it. I thought I had something when I had one song with 10 to 12 vocal tracks.... and you clock in with twice that number.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
ROG #214506 09/10/13 09:17 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Alyn.

Glad you approved.

We actually have that "other" DAW which you mentioned, but it's years since I bothered to dust it off, because I simply prefer Power Tracks to any other program I've found - and believe me, I've tried them all!

Yes, it's great working with such good singers and as a bonus, the girls insist on keeping me in the loop as far as fashion, make-up and hairdressing tips are concerned.

ROG.

ROG #214509 09/10/13 09:23 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
ROG,

Great job on this. Has a great vibe to it. Like Pat, I was expecting something a little more melancholy, but thoroughly enjoyed it. The girls did a great job, and your tracks sound excellent. Keep it up!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
ROG #214510 09/10/13 09:23 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Joanne - thanks for listening and the kind comments.

Josie and Pat - I promise to try and get a video put together nearer the end of the year when we're all together for our next gig. Until then, here's a PHOTO to be going on with. From the left, Courtney, Jessie, Ellie.

ROG.

ROG #214514 09/10/13 09:44 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
For all those of you who were surprised at how we managed to pull down twenty four tracks of vocals, this is how we did it. In fact, when I checked the track sheet we actually had 27.

Ellie's lead - 1 track.

Ellie's harmonies in the chorus - 3 parts each tracked up 4 times and panned hard L/R = 12 tracks.
Jessie's lead in the chorus - tracked 3 times and placed centre and just off-centre = 3 tracks.

Jessie in the slow section - lead vox 1 track, harmony 2 tracks panned hard L/R = 3 tracks.

Courtney in the following section - 2 part harmony, each part tracked 4 times and panned hard L/R = 8 tracks.

The total was 27, but the maximum tracks running at the same time was the chorus with 15. The difficulty when tracking-up so much is getting the phrasing sync accurate, or it can sound terrible, but the girls are really good at it by now, so we don't usually run into any trouble.

Thanks again to everyone for listening.

ROG.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,633
Posts735,255
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich
38,521 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181