And now for something different.

I had an idea for a particular groove in mind, and laid out my chord sheet accordingly. Everything from the placement of pushes to the placement of the chord changes (and yes, there are three chords in the main body) was pre-designed to serve this rhythmical idea. I found a suitable funky style to start with--a techno drum and funk bass--and began to add instruments from the funky spectrum.

Adventurous users of BIAB are likely aware that some Real Tracks may behave oddly when pushes occur on beats other than the ONE, and are more likely to behave oddly when pushes occur with less than a bar separating them.

But my mantra when working with BIAB is: "Listen to the Band" so possibilities developed as I added additional useful tracks. Before long I had a really crazy thing happening.

Between the rhythm and the main chord and instrumentation, it felt odd and swampy. And whenever I think of "odd and swampy", Marty Straub (Babu Music) always comes to mind.

Obviously.

So I sent him the prototype and asked if he'd like to join in. Join in, he did, in a delightful and delicious way, adding not only his flowing bass-line(s), but a change-of-direction bridge and outro with beautifully harmonized chords. Even before they arrived, I'd already started to carve out a production in Reaper and he helped me hone it to where it is now.

The Title--Bayou Quinze--comes from the Cajun-French word for 'swamp', roughly. "Quinze" is also French, but I will leave it for you to decipher both the definition and it's relevance. I have absolutely no idea if there really is a place called "Bayou Quinze", but if there is then this piece is a recollection of the glorious time I spent there when I was 15.

Obviously.

The piece officially ends at about 2:15, but this is the extended album cut.

We certainly hope you enjoy, but don't say I didn't tell you it would be different. We'd also encourage you, if you enjoyed the spin, to come back to it and try to figure out just why you did.

Bayou Quinze

****** Song Summary *************
Key=E , Tempo 105,

Style is _SAFARI.STY (Safari Jungle Drum and Bass)

RealTracks in song: 3756:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopFunkySoulBrent Ev16 095
RealTracks in song: 3249:Guitar, Electric, Background ModernFunkSingleNotesBob Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 2890:Accordion, Rhythm PasoMusette Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 3372:Banjo Guitar, Rhythm OldTimeBonfireAndy Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 2857:Harmonica, Background CountryPopJellyRoll Ev 120
RealDrums [in style:TechnoJungleBass-EF-HH16,OpHH [Multi]
RealTracks in song: 2763:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBluesRockMike Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 2619:Organ, Rhythm Funk Ev 100
(unknown Piano Utility track)
(unknown Utility track Steel Guitar 1)
(unknown Utility track Steel Guitar 2)
Loop in Song: Drums\CongaIsland16[single]
Straub in song: Marty

In order of appearance (to my best reckoning):

Drums\CongaIsland16[single]
BIAB Scales (ascending)
TechnoJungleBass-EF-HH16,OpHH [Multi]
Marty
Banjo Guitar, Rhythm OldTimeBonfireAndy
Accordion, Rhythm PasoMusette
Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopFunkySoulBrent
Harmonica, Background CountryPopJellyRoll
Guitar, Electric, Background ModernFunkSingleNotesBob
(unknown Utility track Steel Guitar 1)
(unknown Utility track Steel Guitar 2)
Female Vox saying "Quinze"
Organ, Rhythm Funk Ev 100
(unknown Piano Utility track)

I did my own reverbs for this using Izotope's Neo-Verb. I also used a guitarish effect on the main guitar with Izotope's Stutter which I think gave the guitar an appropriate nervous tone. There's obviously a backwards guitar line in there somewhere. Most tracks got some Neutron treatment. Mastered in Ozone 9.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground