#764436 05/05/23 02:58 AM
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Hello everyone,
as you may known, while the Real Styles are great, I still work mostly with midi styles to be able to use my roland stuff which I love
I work with the built-in Microsoft synth because you can hear everything clearly when building a "maquette"
I am no much of a mixer I'm afraid
so is there a way to capture to a wav file the output of this synth to send to musical partners
thanks in advance,
musically yours,
Bernard

Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français
Expert
Expert
Hi Bernard,

I think you may not be choosing the best synthesiser for that.

I think you probably should use a DXi/VSTi synthesiser, which BiaB should then be able to render to a .wav or similar file. I think the Microsoft wavetable synth is external to BiaB.

There are several good synths that can be used in the DXi/VSTi option. There's a thread in the "Band-In-A-Box for Windows" forum that's discussing that right now.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
DefaultSynth.jpeg (155.71 KB, 213 downloads)

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Expert
Expert
read Peter Gannon's sticky post about 'no brainer' on the BIAB for windows forum. the TTS1 is free and although it has its distractors, loads of us actually like it as basic no frills GM synth. and its easy to create an audio file with BIAB using the TTS1. should answer all your needs.

Last edited by Bob Calver; 05/05/23 05:39 AM.
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
The Microsoft synth has got to be the worst sounding garbage in the world.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Expert
Expert
hence my suggestion to go for the TTS1 which is at least a reasonable sound source - i'm happy to use it as my default synth even after trying several sound fonts and halion sonic

Veteran
Veteran
"i'm happy to use it as my default synth even after trying several sound fonts and halion sonic"

really? Wow... They are miles apart in sound quality and features. To me personally is like comparing a shovel with an excavator.

In my (long) search for the best GM software module, nothing remotely came close to Halion/Sonic.

Expert
Expert
these days i normally use realTracks for just about anything but having revisited some of my midi only tracks from yesteryear listening with the TTS1 and then halion sonic i'm not convinced that to me it makes a huge amount of difference.YMMV as Mario always says but the TTS1 is free and the OP can try it easily enough. And if i remember correctly Peter Gannon says it's the default synth they use when creating BIAB styles.

Veteran
Veteran
TTS is an outdated toy that has not been updated for about a decade and a half.A very basic set of very mediocre sounds and controls. Does it do GM? Sure. But it's absurd to compare it with Halion/Sonic.

With Halion you can swap sounds from their 30gb library if you don't like their GM soundset. With TTS you are stuck with 18 year old sounds. Most likely you are comparing a Sonic that you got for free VS TTS...
Even a free version has enormous advantage over TTS.

In defense of TTS, it has a light footprint, but that's not very relevant even with average computers these days.

----
Let OP decide what is what. If TTs suits his needs, great.

P.S. Peter Gannon suggested TTS in 2018 (5 years back) I guess mainly
because it was an easy and free option. With Sonic, you had to jump a few hoops as if I remember it correctly...

B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
well, thank you guys for all the responses, but I have to say this: going "upwards" in sound quality (I just bought a second-hand Integra7) is sometimes the wrong options; because it may sound lush and all but it loses the 'feel' of the original demo; even when staying with roland hard and soft
I have some demo that sound good with the most basic of soft-synths like Edirol long-gone Super Quartet (it was perfect for country-rock stuff), wth TTS-1 and so-on; and changing the synth is not always the best option: parts are too loud or too soft, instruments suddenly sound wrong and we basically have a mess of a mix

Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Look, I'm not trying to write "What's love got to do with it" sung by Tina Turner and written by Terry Britten
but they took hours to build a lush mix just to scrap it later;
Terry just got his cassette tape out of his pocket and said to everyone: Look, this is it; this is the song
a basic demo with a Linndrum, a bit of electric guitar and a demo voice
because the song needed that intimate feel, almost frail
an I know of other songs that followed the same "going down" process

Bernard Rasson

Je parle français
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B

Bernard Rasson

Je parle français
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
oh, I do use TTS-1 too; back to when it was called HyperCanvas
some sounds are fine, other not so hot
I have used most roland romplers and ramplers
intersetingly, Bob Norton now uses an entry-level ketron module for his demos
theres is not a be-all, end-all solution for GM2 synths

Bernard Rasson

Je parle français
Journeyman
Journeyman
There is an excellent free replacement for Mickeysoft's horrible GM synth. It's called VirtualMIDISynth by CoolSoft. It is getting regular updates. There are quite a few free soundfonts available on the product/download page, as well. I use Arachno. It's got very good sounds without being a memory hog. I would suggest installing just the synth first. That may be all you need. CoolSoft also has a MIDIMapper app that replaces some functionality removed after Windows 7. I don't have it installed, and have never needed it. In BiaB, you just select VirtualMIDISynth #1 as your MIDI Output Driver under Options | MIDI/Audio Driver Setup.

Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth

Last edited by TheMaartian; 05/07/23 03:34 AM.

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 5; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
Veteran
Veteran
If you are in "search" for GM after the Integra7... I don't know what to recommend smile

Well, ok here is what I remember.
I was at the crossroads between Goliath which does GM (former Colossus) vs Halion. I went with Halion. No looking back.

P.S. I am just thinking outloud here... Is it possible that some MIDI things, such as expression, panning, FX did not translate to Integra or software synths you tried...

B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Thanks Bob
I do use the TTS1 synth and it can sound rather good on some midifiles, but again not on everyone of them

Bernard Rasson

Je parle français
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Hi rusty,
yes, the Integra is a wonderful synth, almost everything sound good on it, and I bought it second-and a couple of years ago
I have barely scratched the surface
what I forgot to mention is that I seek a non-rack solution because of (back problems) I cannot sit alongsite of it for hours
this is why I seek a built-in-laptop solution
I am currently looking at the SD50 canvas module which seems to sound good and Roland-ish of course
WinLive seems to sound good also
but I don' want to try too many soft synths

- because of memory footprint (my two laptop are almost full, even though the SSD are compressed
- because I don't want to learn yet another system like sounfonts (which I have studied extensively in the past but took to much time to handle)

Bernard Rasson

Je parle français
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bernard,

As Gordon mentioned earlier in this thread, to use BIAB to save your MIDI BIAB backing a WAV, you will need to have a VSTi synth set up. If you like the sounds of the Microsoft General MIDI synth, the VSTi synth that will give you these sounds is one that comes with BIAB. This is the Coyote WT. You will need to set it up as shown in the image below.

Regards,
--Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
coyote WT default setup.JPG (98.54 KB, 91 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
J
Expert
Expert
J
Since the OP's original question was how to capture the audio output from BIAB, I am going to put my 2 cents in.

For 30+ years now I have used Total Recorder Pro to capture any audio I play and I highly recommend it. The program does an excellent job on capturing MIDI audio from BIAB. The default saved file is WAV but there are other options as well.

It will capture any sound that is sent to the computer speaker.

It's not a freebee but a lifetime license is only $39

You can check it out here.

http://www.totalrecorder.com/productfr_trPRO.htm

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Veteran
Veteran
This is interesting. I took a look at the specs, but noted that it referenced Win versions from XP to 10 but no mention of Win 11. So my question is, will this work with Win 11?

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: jcland
Since the OP's original question was how to capture the audio output from BIAB, I am going to put my 2 cents in.

For 30+ years now I have used Total Recorder Pro to capture any audio I play and I highly recommend it. The program does an excellent job on capturing MIDI audio from BIAB. The default saved file is WAV but there are other options as well.

It will capture any sound that is sent to the computer speaker.

It's not a freebee but a lifetime license is only $39

You can check it out here.

http://www.totalrecorder.com/productfr_trPRO.htm

Glad it's working for you! No disrespect to the product intended, but I hesitate to invest in an app that hasn't been updated since 2015.

I've been using VB-Audio's VoiceMeeter (basic and extended versions (Banana and Potato)) for years. They were last updated late last year (2022). They're donationware. Many years ago, I donated $5 for the audio cables (last update 2015) and $20 for VoiceMeeter Potato (covers all three), but you're not required to donate anything to use them, so you can easily try them for free and only donate if the spirit so moves you.

VB-Audio VoiceMeeter Banana
Dedicated VoiceMeeter website with tutorials and documentation

Note that the VoiceMeeter installer (v1.0.x) installs just the basic version. The VoiceMeeter Banana installer (v2.0.x) installs the basic and Banana versions. The VoiceMeeter Potato installer (v3.0.x) installs all three versions.

Also note that the dedicated VoiceMeeter website is relatively new (first time I've seen it; found it while looking for updated user docs). The latest additions to Potato are amazing!

EDIT 1: I just noticed that there is a dedicated webshop. VoiceMeeter costs $15, Banana costs $30 and Potato costs $35 for a license after 30 days of use (to get rid of the occasional nag). I'm checking with them to see if they'll discount the Potato license by the $20 I donated back in 2016.

EDIT 2: I heard back from VB-Audio re pricing for Potato and a possible discount for having donated earlier. [I highly recommend going with Potato, since it provides all three versions, and you can use which ever is appropriate for a given task.]

You actually have these choices when buying a license for Potato. All versions are identical. You pick one you feel is appropriate for you. The devs suggested I just pick the "I'm a fan" since I'd already donated $20.

Licence prices
P1 - I'm a fan ($10)
P2 - I use it occasionally ($20)
P3 - I use it regularly ($35)
P4 - I use it professionally ($50)
P5 - I support the R&D team! ($100)

Last edited by TheMaartian; 06/03/23 11:28 PM.

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 5; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,317
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182