Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#753554 02/13/23 03:43 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Make Interface Great Again! For young people!

As an undercover FBI agent, I would like to propose the following operation plans to prevent BiaB from becoming a victim of the hate crime committed by musicians of the younger generation.

Operation #1 - Codename Ueberschall
In Style Picker, RealTracker Picker, RealDrum Picker, introduce the view of subcategories, like Ueberschall Elastik. Instead of giving people 3000 RealTracks to choose from, give them 429 RealTrack sets, under each set, there are different genres, under each genres, there are different intruments, etc, and the selection process goes from left to right. Of course the old filter system is still gonna work.

Operation #2 - Codename Antares
In Antares AutoTune, there are two tabs on the top, Auto Mode and Graph Mode. User first select a mode, then interface changes to that mode. Instead of jamming 50 buttons into one dialogue box, maybe BiaB should split them into two or three tabs? For example, in Melodist, "Generate Melody Only" in one tab, "Generate Entire Song with Chords" in another tab, with respective & relevant buttons and commands.

Operation #3 - Codename iZotope
For complicated tasks, such as ACW, Molodist, Soloist, introduce step/chain processing interface, like iZotope Ozone/Nectar. A few steps in the order, displayed on the top of screen, under each step, there are only a few commands, so user can focus on one step, get it done, and move to the next step.

Operation #4 - Codename Ujam
Introduce modern graphic to the interface, like any Ujam product. Important action buttons, big with color, round shape, in the middle of screen. Unimportant option buttons, small, square shape, on the side, not to distract.

Operation #5 - Codename Toontrack
Make audio file and MIDI file easy to drag & drop into BiaB, like Toontrack EZdrummer. User can drag a .wav file or .mid file like a song block, to any bar any beat in BiaB, and perfectly aligned to the quantization grid, then can easily copy, move, duplicate the block to other desired positions of the song.

Operation #6 - Codename Native Instruments
Using BiaB should be fun and smart, not tedious and complicated. If BiaB could be as intelligent as Native Instruments Kontakt, with self-explanatory graphic interface, self-explanatory buttons and commands, self-explanatory functionalities and features, without the need of watching a tutorial video.

Operation #7 - Codename Image-Line
"You don't have to teach users how to use all your features, you just need to teach them how to use a few important ones to get things done."
Image-Line FL Studio has one of the most successful YouTube channels in the production community. Why? Because they have many short workflow videos, creating a complete song from scratch, in less than 30 minutes. PG Music should do the same, make more Boot Camp / Workflow type of videos, with real life examples, and a unique YouTube thumbnail (not the generic yellow black on the left, white on the right ones), so viewers can search YouTube and quickly find these special videos.

Conclusion
Millennials and Gen Z musicians love fancy stuff, such as an iPhone, a Gucci handbag, Louis Vuitton sunglasses, Yeezy sneakers, and TikTok.

BiaB already has the top-of-the-line sample library. Imagining if BiaB could consider investing a little money into revolutionize its interface and graphics, advertising itself as the Tesla for futuristic musicians. Guess the young people would desperately rush in to get a proudly BiaB of their own.

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
M
Enthusiast
Online Content
Enthusiast
M
Did you ever stop to think.......what is unimportant to one is very important to another? Who makes the call?

Mike

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
Windows 10 pro 1709 16299.125
Intel core i7 6700k CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.01 GHz
16 gig memory
BIAB UltraPak version is 2023 (Latest)
Cubase pro 9
Veteran
Veteran
+1
I have been at this too long to try and get all of the above.
I went looking for knowledgeable users in other forums to come here and get Biab into the modern age. I tried to get EvilDragon who is in lots of other forums and is very knowledgeable but he said he was too busy with other beta testing.
I think MusicVillain is the next best thing to EvilDragon. He must be sent here for that reason smile

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Music Villain,

Thanks. There’s a lot of great suggestions in there. And a nice presentation. Lots of food for thought, and hopefully others will add to the discussion.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I'm eager to hear experts' opinions on the most efficient workflow with BiaB.

Vector vs Scalar
The most important part of core technology in BiaB is the vector generation. Vectors are location addresses pointing to the source material (RealTracks & RealDrums), aka the green colored style tracks. Because each vector track is just a collection of link addresses, it is light-weighted, fast processing, and can be regenerated easily, most ideally to work with.

On the other side, once BiaB is rendered and exported as an audio file, such as WAV, WMA, MP3, it becomes a scalar track, which can not be relinked to the source material or regenerated anymore.

BiaB VST DAW Plugin
It's just a lite version of BiaB with less features. When you drag tracks from the plugin to the DAW, all tracks become scalar tracks (rendered audio tracks). BBPlugin doesn't seem to offer much of value.

RealBand
RealBand is supposed to be the best DAW to work with BiaB, and I don't know why there are not many people using it. It's true while compare to BiaB, RealBand is lack of features. But within RealBand, without the need of BBPlugin, RealBand itself can read chord sheet, generate vector tracks, of which can be regenerated as wish. Why RealBand hasn't become the most popular DAW in the BiaB community?

Cockos Reaper
Why Reaper seems to be the most popular DAW in the BiaB community? Does it have any advantages over other DAWs such as Ableton, Cubase, Studio One, etc?

BiaB Track Injector
It is a genius idea to utilize the vector technology of BiaB. But it's currently in beta and there're bugs and may not work for all users.

BiaB vs RealBand
Since RealBand can do exactly what BiaB is doing, generate vector tracks from a built-in chord sheet, plus RealBand has the visual sequencer view like a DAW, why does everyone seem to work with BiaB and export to DAW, completely skip and ignore the existence of RealBand?

* Vector = Address Data File, Contains Data Linking/Pointing to Source Soundbank
* Scalar = Rendered Audio File

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Vector* vs Scalar*
The most important part of core technology in BiaB is the vector generation. Vectors are location addresses pointing to the source material (RealTracks & RealDrums), aka the green colored style tracks. Because each vector track is just a collection of link addresses, it is light-weighted, fast processing, and can be regenerated easily, most ideally to work with.

On the other side, once BiaB is rendered and exported as an audio file, such as WAV, WMA, MP3, it becomes a scalar track, which can not be relinked to the source material or regenerated anymore.
* Vector = Address Data File, Contains Data Linking/Pointing to Source Soundbank
* Scalar = Rendered Audio File

RealDrums and RealTracks are the most important BiaB sound sources because they offer the realistic sound users overwhelmingly prefer. The technology implementation, you name part of it vector generation, is just one reason those sources are preferred. Software algorithms and source material are two other reasons.

This statement overlooks the other sound sources available to BiaB users. Midi patterns present in most styles have been available since the program's inception. MidiSuperTracks combine human midi recordings with high quality patches. Artist Performance Tracks (APT) provide a path for users to consolidate audio or import song specific performances. UserTracks allow users to build their own audio library.

Some sound sources, specifically APT and UserTracks, are overlooked and underutilized gems. But at the same time that means even in it's present state there is plenty of resources for users to explore.

You and I seem to agree the longer you stay in Band-in-a-Box the more you can utilize it's resources. The instant you render and create a scalar track to move out of Band-in-a-Box you lose ALL the unique resources the program offers. If you want to change anything you can always go back but that's starting over and losing all your preceding work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

BiaB VST DAW Plugin
It's just a lite version of BiaB with less features. When you drag tracks from the plugin to the DAW, all tracks become scalar tracks (rendered audio tracks). BBPlugin doesn't seem to offer much of value.
Agree. I believe the main reason it exists is to introduce traditional DAW users to Band-in-a-Box. If it's Saturday night and the guitar player has left the studio a producer can still create a backing track. It is also useful to video studios.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
RealBand
RealBand is supposed to be the best DAW to work with BiaB, and I don't know why there are not many people using it. It's true while compare to BiaB, RealBand is lack of features. But within RealBand, without the need of BBPlugin, RealBand itself can read chord sheet, generate vector tracks, of which can be regenerated as wish. Why RealBand hasn't become the most popular DAW in the BiaB community?
Short history lesson. PowerTracks was created by an independent developer and distributed by PG Music. The core of PowerTracks was used to create RealBand. RealBand does not support all the features available in a song file created in BiaB. Why move a song file from BiaB to RB if all the stuff in the song file doesn't translate?

Quote:
Rockos Reaper
Why Reaper seems to be the most popular DAW in the BiaB community? Does it have any advantages over other DAWs such as Ableton, Cubase, Studio One, etc?
Reaper may or may not be the most popular DAW but it's members within this forum are certainly the most vocal about their DAW. smile Most forum users do not discuss their DAW by name. Most of those that do mention their DAW by name seem to use Reaper. One reason is because Reaper supports scripting that can customize how it looks. Scripting also allows Reaper to support BiaB influenced features that it otherwise can not support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
BiaB Track Injector
It is a genius idea to utilize the vector technology of BiaB. But it's currently in beta and there're bugs and may not work for all users.
This is a feature developed by forum user Musocity using a Reaper script. You should discuss any issues or enhancements with Musocity.

Over the years Musocity, previously known as SolidRock or Pipeline, has presented feature ideas in the forum. It's possible some of those ideas inspired PG Music to develop or enhance BiaB features.

Quote:
BiaB vs RealBand
Since RealBand can do exactly what BiaB is doing, generate vector tracks from a built-in chord sheet, plus RealBand has the visual sequencer view like a DAW, why does everyone seem to work with BiaB and export to DAW, completely skip and ignore the existence of RealBand?
Band-in-a-Box was already a mature product when RealBand was introduced as a free companion product for Window users. It's possible long time BiaB users developed a workflow that included a DAW before RealBand was available.

RealBand and it's parent product, PowerTracks, is not available to Mac users so a huge chunk of the BiaB audience does not have access to RealBand.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
MV.
re..REALBAND VS BIAB.

its not a question of one versus tother imho.
its useing the best of each imho.

(i guess i have to defend rb a tad…lol. even tho' i love reaper and was an early adopter at v 0.99 and with others used to bug the reaps dev with feature ideas.)

if one notices in my sig …the 3 music software i use ??
includes realband.
as ive said before rb has some nifty unique features IF ONE IS A SEEKER…..and if one…

1.. spends a decent time with rb to really delve into its plethora of features.its a massive feature list.
2.. really developes one own work methods with rb.

i know no daw on the market that has its set of features…which is why i'm sooo avid that just with a few added features it would sweep all contenders away.
and i dont want to see rb go away.

eg notice MCity's brilliant graphics in this thread of what could be with rb with just some extra dev work.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=754298#Post754298

look at the great MCity graphics for bb and rb that is in the above thread/discussion. ie above my current post.

ive explained some of rb's features in the past and am too tired to repeat same over and over …lol.

all i would suggest is like i and various other pg users have found out…dont dismiss rb out of hand.

just 'dig'...theres nice rb nuggets in 'them thar hills'.
take some time with reading the plethora of features laid out in the rb manual and watch the vids on you tube etc.

just an idea. mix a bb song to bed ruff guide stereo... THEN import into rb the stereo guide mix and then go bonkers on testing//genning rd's//rt's//midi//vi's//loops
and so on.

its sorta like we used to do in commercial studios...give em' a rough song guide then use for overdubs real session musicians...cept in this case rb has its own session musicians... plus more traks than old 24 trak 2 inch tape machines.

WHATS NOT TO LIKE ABOUT THAT FOR FREE ??

(note i started on powertraks yonks ago which saved me a bundle over paying several 'undred bucks for each 2 inch tape reel. powertraks is another steal imho. for those just doing regular mtr stuff.)

happiness.

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
"why does everyone seem to work with BiaB and export to DAW, completely skip and ignore the existence of RealBand?"

Because most DAWs can handle big audio / MIDI projects better.

With all arguments "for" RB I have seen, most "missing" things can be done in BIAB these days, as a lot of features were added in the past 3 years. As one prominent user said a few years back: Real Band should be kept "working" as a legacy product, focusing on BIAB and Plugin. I agree with that statement 100%.

MusicVillain,
I am curious, if you had a chance to change only one item in BIAB. What would that be in your opinion, to make most impact for the better?

Veteran
Veteran
The BiaB Track Injector is just waiting for PG to get BiaB to write a txt file BBoutput.txt to bb\Data instead of having to hack into menus to get the data txt (this txt will also allow the BBPlugin to import the same track sections in the BiaB project).
This will then be easy to use by running one script that will read the track data for all current tracks in BiaB then import those into Reaper instantly, or be able to select the track/s or track section to update to any fractional/decimal tempo map.
A total no brainer, giving total control to the users, way ahead of current way.

BBlugin uses bbw4 in the background to render tracks to lots of wav files that the Plugin reads. Needs upgrading to play the track section direct from the source files, giving instant generate/play instead of having to WAIT (the reason why users now use BiaB instead).

RealBand uses bbw2 in the background to render tracks to lots of wav files that RealBand will read. Also needs upgrading to play the track section direct from the source files, giving instant generate/play instead of having to WAIT (the reason why users now use BiaB instead).

EDIT: This is one you can try now that works with the BBPlugin without any mods
Inject BBPlugin Tracks into REAPER (Simple Script)

This is injecting a multistyle from Biab of current tracks from track data txt.

Last edited by musocity; 02/19/23 01:52 AM.
C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: musocity
The BiaB Track Injector is just waiting for PG to get BiaB to write a txt file BBoutput.txt to bb\Data instead of having to hack into menus to get the data txt (this txt will also allow the BBPlugin to import the same track sections in the BiaB project).
This will then be easy to use by running one script that will read the track data for all current tracks in BiaB then import those into Reaper instantly, or be able to select the track/s or track section to update to any fractional/decimal tempo map.
A total no brainer, giving total control to the users, way ahead of current way.

This would be absolutely brilliant.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
For me Band in a Box serves two different purposes:

a) Developing a song from scratch, having only some idea of a melody in mind. The standalone version helps a lot to easily and quickly create some result, to experiment with different styles and instruments, I otherwise would not have at hand. The possibilities of the standalone version to tweak and to experiment with different styles are absolutely great and I don't want to miss it.

b) To add further instrumental tracks to songs I have already recorded in my DAW. Here the plugin comes into play. It is a reasonable tool either to take over what I have created with the standalone version beforehand or to make some further refinements before taking over any instrumental tracks to my DAW. The more simple and quickly this can be achieved, the better. I don't need fancy functionality for this. A good basic audio or midi track will do the job.

I also wonder why tracks have to be re-generated by the plugin first, instead of using what has already been created by the standalone version. Especially as the outcome differs. This makes no sense to me. But for sure, I will stay with my DAW for the final mixing and mastering. Often enough I just take over the midi file from BiaB and replace the instrument by some other sound library in my DAW.

To sum it up: Any way to select or take over tracks or only parts of of a song to any DAW, without additional hustle, would be absolutely appreciated by me. All thumbs up for the injector idea.

Last edited by Roland S; 02/19/23 02:48 AM.

BiaB2023 Plus, Win11, AMD 6-core, 32GByte RAM, RME Fireface UFX, Samplitude ProX7, REAPER 6, Studio ne 5, Melodyne Studio, Toontrack SD3, iZotope MP4, NI Komplete 12, Korg Collection, etc.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@Jim Fogle

Quote:
... the longer you stay in Band-in-a-Box the more you can utilize it's resources. The instant you render and create a scalar track to move out of Band-in-a-Box you lose ALL the unique resources the program offers. If you want to change anything you can always go back but that's starting over and losing all your preceding work.

This! Should become a music production motto, printed in the welcome/splash screen, every time when BiaB is launched. So every user can see it!

Quote:
Artist Performance Tracks (APT) provide a path for users to consolidate audio or import song specific performances.

To be honest, I have always been confused with Artist Performance Tracks (APT) and Songs Lessons Pak (SLP). What exactly does each of them offer? Are they simply some pre-made SGUs/MGUs, aka pre-made styles with chords already entered? Do they have same contents overlapping each other?

I understand that SLP is included in Ultra+ but not Ultra version, in other words, SLP is basically the "+". On the other hand, APT is included in both Ultra and Ultra+ version, usually from the 49 Pak and Bonus Pak. The question is, what are they and how do I use them?

Biggest Concern
In Windows, installing the same program/content to the same location will result in two possibilities:

(1) Same folders/files were replaced/overwritten, which is the most ideal.
(2) A new folder/file is created by the system, making a mess. For example, previously a file exists called "MyFile", when install again, system created a new file in the same folder called "MyFile (1)", having duplicate files in the same folder.

BiaB offers many different Add-ons and Paks, and many of them have overlapping songs/styles/tracks/contents. My biggest concern is, when install all these different Paks to the same C:\bb folder, is system going to generate duplicate files when overlapping contents are installed?

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@Rustyspoon#

Quote:
MusicVillain,
I am curious, if you had a chance to change only one item in BIAB. What would that be in your opinion, to make most impact for the better?

This a tough question, cause I have over thirty items want to be changed. Just to pick that one most important item to change, mine would be:

Multi Tracks View & Edit in the Audio Edit Window

I do tons and tons of Volume Automation in BiaB, pretty much in every four bars, I would turn on/off/hold an instrument, in order to make the song built up in a sophisticated manner. However, currently in the Audio Edit (Waveform) window, you can only view/edit one track at a time. If you want to view/edit a different track, you have to click the mixer channel to switch.

Currently I work with BiaB on two monitors. The left screen is the main BiaB interface with chord sheet and mixer. On the right screen, I opened a floating Audio Edit (Waveform) window, to do the volume automation, but I can only see one track at a time, and work with one track at a time.

Would be holy smoke, if I could see/zoom/edit several tracks in the Audio Edit window at the same time, just like working in a DAW.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@Jim Fogle
@justanoldmuso
@Rustyspoon#
@musocity

It seems PG Music doesn't even bother making tutorial videos for RealBand. The latest video about RealBand I can find on YouTube is dated in 2019.

I would like to hear your opinions on RealBand from a musical perspective, not a technical perspective. So, if I ask you to create two songs from scratch, without using any DAW. Two same songs, but one is using BiaB 2023 only, the other one is using RB 2023 only (without BBPlugin).

Are you able to tell, off the top of your head, the top 10 life or death things/features/functionalities, of which can be easily done in BiaB 2023, but can not be done in RB 2023?

I will look into these things in details, so I can understand the true limitations of RB, and pull the trigger.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
@MusicVillain
Before I answer, I would like to apologize to any who might feel different. This is only my opinion.
I tried investing time in RB several times in the past 5 years. Especially gave it a good shot when Cakewalk went belly up as I was trying to find a single DAW that I could do most that I want and the way that I want. What can I say.... To me, RB is ages behind every single DAW on the market in almost every single aspect except for working with proprietary content. From GUI to workflow. Especially given known inconsistencies and limitation of transferring PGmusic projects between the two. To me RB is a big NO NO. Is it a "tool" - yes it is. So is manual hand driven drill. Is it a tool of choice? Absolutely not. I sincerely hope that certain features of RB are transferred to BIAB that "people can't live without" and RB would just be kept as a working legacy product, focusing on BIAB, Plugin and content.

Having said this, enjoy essays of die-hard fans that will follow smile

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Dear Peter,

For the moment I would be happy, if the VST3 plugin would work correctly. With all those discussions about injectors and the defects of the plugin, another idea came to my mind:

The BiaB standalone application already has some DAW mode onboard. Why not using the Biab plugin just as a bridge to the main BiaB application?

As long as the plugin would be able to start/stop BiaB from the DAW, to write the DAW tempo changes to the BiaB chord sheet and to provide some audio signal back to the DAW, everything else should be manageable somehow with little manual effort.

A full ARA2 implementation like Melodyne Studio plugin has, would likely be the perfect solution. But the above workaround could already be a big step forward. At the moment I am struggling more with deficits and defects of the plugin than using it.

I already start to regret the switch from the 2022 to the 2023 version. Maybe there was less functionality, but at least it was stable.

I don't wanna miss BiaB, but at the moment it is getting a bit tough.

Cheers
Roland

BiaB2023 Plus, Win11, AMD 6-core, 32GByte RAM, RME Fireface UFX, Samplitude ProX7, REAPER 6, Studio ne 5, Melodyne Studio, Toontrack SD3, iZotope MP4, NI Komplete 12, Korg Collection, etc.
Veteran
Veteran
Band in a Box is being made into a DAW because everyone likes how fast it generates and can't change things easily once in the DAW. It could play files direct same as a DAW but because PG worry about old users with old computers it generates into RAM. Maybe they have been losing old Win users and more younger Mac users are coming with faster hardware ?
The BBPlugin/BBplugin Standalone is too slow.
RealBand is too old and too slow, Tried here but but all issues forced Track Injector to come about.
The ideal would be the BBPlugin/BBPlugin Standalone have the generate code with in it and play back the source files direct and instantly to allow users to be in the DAW of choice and do it all in there with the Plugin being able to have decimal tempo maps, more than 255 bars, more time signatures that will match the existing tracks in the DAW. So to give what Track Injector gives but in any DAW.

Right now so many users could be using it with their copy of Reaper and get any track/s or sections instantly if PG give the current track data txt file in bb\Data (same as the BBPlugin gives) that Reaper will read and get the track sections instantly having way more control and adjustment of riffs or drum sections than you can do with a consolidated wav file. I'll say it again, this is way ahead of current ways of doing things giving the user full control. This works even better using the RewireVST.
I asked for a sync VST for BiaB to sync it with any DAW, if the DAW has a decimal tempo map Biab could just adjust the playback rate to sync and then files exported will have Acid info so they will fit the DAW decimal tempo map.

So I have tried really really hard for a really long time to get all these issues fixed, implemented and modernized.
They may listen to you because I'm bitter and worn out from being at it for too long so all my nagging is just ignored now.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
MV.

instead of posting to you in 2 threads…i'll comment further in this one as follows….

i dont think one can say bb versus realband (rb)...for example on the speedway song i just put up on scloud….

..the idea started out as a rough beds guide idea in bb…then..

..i tested a bunch of pg content in rb using the guide.
(on a serious song like this one thats how rb found for me the lead break i like out of thousands ie lots more traks in rb to try things and i can see lotsa waveforms at a glance.)

..then i transferred some traks to reaps for some fancy schmancy deep editing//manipulation.

..then i transferred to reaps the car fx sounds cos i wanted a certain pan effect.

..after more work//manipulation in bb n ' rb n' reaps...i made final tests n' mp3 using rb.

in summary its all a question imho of using the features in each software as to ones work methods.

as to rb specifically all i can say is fairly that it appeals to some but not others.
i like it cos i can see all trak waveforms n' can gen on more traks than in bb. for example in rb i might gen n' save many pg content traks before culling the herd down to my final choices of rd'd//rt's//loops//whatever etc etc. whereas in bb i have fewer traks.

i think its important at this point that you dont listen to any of us , and just go thru' all the rb manual//help//vids etc etc and see if its for you cos what is groovy for me might not be for you.

(BIG NOTE >> REALLY EXPLORE THE RB LOOOONG MENU BY RIGHT CLIKING OVER A RB TRAK..cos lots of power in that menu.)

ps i KNOW some folks might feel i'm biased to rb...but i'm really not. its just it does some nice things i like.

you might want to look at this thread where MCity posts
wonderfull graphics of firstly future biab wishes and then for rb the same. read the whole shebang and our idea exchanges. he is fab at graphics and as i say in my last post if pg implemented these wishes rb wouold be the daw leader over other daws.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=752469#Post752469

have loads of enjoyment creating songs…whatever you use.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/19/23 07:53 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@Roland S

Quote:
I already start to regret the switch from the 2022 to the 2023 version. Maybe there was less functionality, but at least it was stable.

Can you be a bit more specific on what stabilities / performance issues you had experienced with 2023 compare to 2022?

I am about to help some colleagues to update their BiaB from 2022 to 2023, in the upcoming weeks.

And now I'm hesitating.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: musocity
... but because PG worry about old users with old computers it generates into RAM. Maybe they have been losing old Win users and more younger Mac users are coming with faster hardware?

I really wonder how many people actually have old versions of BiaB on old computers; How good PGM's knowledge is of the demographics of users and their PCs.

I think I originally bought BiaB in 2013(?) but concluded then that the interface was not really compatible with the notepad PC on which I was trying to run it (~11" diagonal wide-screen). I abandoned BiaB and didn't try again until 2020(?). That suggests that for 7 years I was an 'old user who hadn't updated'. Various friends similarly.

What definitely is important/useful is that .SGU files that were copied to me by band members are still usable quite a few years later ... but most of the time I open the old file, adjust it to what I'd like with the current version of BiaB and save a copy in my personal songs folders. I think similar is also important for people like Bob Norton, who produce after-market add-ons.

But I can't help feeling that people on very old hardware are probably few and far between and if they haven't updated recently, quite probably never will.

I also can't help feeling that the combination of historic compatibility and a business model that seems to be driven by incremental upgrades has become rather a "tail wagging the dog" situation.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,687
Posts735,976
Members38,539
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb
38,539 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 179