Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you are looking to hit a button and get a great solo you are best to look at AI to do everything for you. I would rather work with human made tracks in Biab and put my human creativity into it also.
Most of the generators in RC are mechanical for EDM styles.
If you have saved phrases with controllers and keyswitches in RC in the library they are easily dragged n dropped any where and with fit the set chord/scale, this IS the main thing about it, it's Rapid, I can't do that in Biab, I have asked them many times, I did make a Plugin for Biab (Biab Snap MIDI To Chords & Biab MIDI Key Snap) but because you can't chain vsti in Biab it's just another hassle of a workaround.
In Reaper I can do anything I conceive of with scripting like the Track Injector it gives so much more control in the creation process to step outside the limits of Biab.

To try and bring Biab RealBand out of the dark ages and help develop a Plugin version spending 14 years up against it all dealing with protectionism keeping it in the 90's you get worn out, disappointed and frustrated as it takes so much time and energy, so you get rid of accounts and emails to "ban" yourself so you can't log in, but then you have a rest from it all and back in the ring to take another swing. There has been so much implemented but it takes soooo long and still remains behind playing catch up.
It's easy for users to knock things rather than coming up with ideas themselves. It's a curse to able to see issues from a hundred miles away hence you are up against it with those that don't. I shouldn't have to be the main one here posting all this info for quantum leap improvements, I tried hard in other forums to get knowledgeable users here to help drive it, I was even going to BUY Biab for them but could not get anyone frown

Quote:
That's the problem with young people popping in briefly and leaving imho. An old looking GUI being talked about by their parents (or grandparents) and referencing ancient music to do it. What 25 year old cares about that? As far as they're concerned it's an old program for old people.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
All of this yapping about what creates better this or better that...

PICK UP YOUR GUITAR and make what YOU want the solo to sound like.

Man oh man. ANYTHING but putting in the time to actually learn how to play a frickin' instrument.

BE A MUSICIAN. Learn music and how to play it on instruments.

I HATE all this nonsense of avoiding what makes music fun.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
s-l500.jpg (48.42 KB, 259 downloads)
Last edited by eddie1261; 08/17/23 08:54 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>"Band-in-a-Box is bad at generating professional guitar solos"
>>Why don't you give yourself less than an hour, generate an easy 16 bar solo, and send me the mixed MP
>> Go with key of C, 65 bpm, even feel, use a typical pop melodic chord progression:

F-G-Em-Am-Dm-G-C-C7
F-G-Em-Am-Dm-G-C-C
=========================================
Music Villain,

OK. I took you up on your challenge to generate a professional sounding guitar solo for your chord progression. I didn't need one hour to do it, just two minutes, and did absolutely no editing.
I don't want to hijack this thread, so have started a new one. Hopefully you can listen to the solo, and comment on it. And let me know if you stick by your comment that "Band-in-a-Box is bad at generating professional guitar solos". Because this 'first take, no editing' generated solo sounds good to me.

Please listen to the solo I generated on Music Villain's requested song, https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=774106#Post774106 and make any comments in that thread (not this thread)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I can't do that in Biab, I have asked them many times, I did make a Plugin for Biab (Biab Snap MIDI To Chords & Biab MIDI Key Snap) but because you can't chain vsti in Biab it's just another hassle of a workaround.

I just got this email, and I'm the crazy guy here that talks BS:
noreply@mailing.image-line.com
FL Studio 21.1: Get powerful new features in this free update

Snap to Scale
Automatically snap Piano Roll notes to a selected scale when adding or moving them. Access it with the new ‘Note’ icon in the Toolbar.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
Hopefully you can listen to the solo, and comment on it. And let me know if you stick by your comment that "Band-in-a-Box is bad at generating professional guitar solos".

Peter, you have no idea how much I hope I was wrong about this. BiaB is the most efficient music software I have ever used, and generating a guitar solo with a virtual guitar instrument is a painful learning curve.

My problem with BiaB generated solo is, it's good, but not perfect, so you need to partial regen. When you partial regen, for musicality purpose, you need to regen a full bar, or at least a full beat. The result is always very close, but not the best.

The solution would be, directly comping the source material in the RealTracks folder. But I can't open and read .bt1 file, and therefore I don't know which chord is referred to which bar in the original recording. Hope you know what I'm talking about here.

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Peter, it would be kind of you, if you could tell us the BiaB users, how to open and read a .bt0 and .bt1 file. Why? Because these files are RealTrack chord mapping files. If we can read it, we will know which chord is recorded to which bar of the .wma source file in the RealTracks folder, then we can directly open, chop, and comp the wma source files according to chord, works much faster than partial regen twenty times for one bar.

I thought they were just beat files and all the info is in ST2 XT2.
If you want all that info just use the track injector.

I might have an easier way to do it all soon rather that having to use the Track Injector.
If you use wav files you can also write the info in as cue points that you can see if your DAW will display them like Reaper.
All the sections below you can edit to tweak or get the solo you want and be able to change the track to DI <> FX:

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
These are the original solo sections from a Biab track.
Any section I can extend or shorten the original playing.
If you watch the video where you have the gaps you can manually merge so there's no stop, you can't do that with a consolidated wav or in Biab now how it is:
Reaper-RT-Solo-Extend.mp4

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:
I thought they were just beat files and all the info is in ST2 XT2.
If you want all that info just use the track injector.
I might have an easier way to do it all soon rather that having to use the Track Injector.

Musocity, I tried to open ST2 and XT2 files with a txt editor and failed miserably.

First, could you provide a step by step guide with detailed explanations on how to use Track Injector without complicated installation process, scripting, or using Reaper. No way I am a tech expert to explore this deep and all I want is to view the file, and know which bar is playing which chord. The only two DAWs I'm using are FL Studio and Cubase, nothing else.

Second, it would be great if you could come up with an easier solution, just to view the file.

Third, what if I want to know the chord mapping for rhythm type RealTracks, such as rhythm acoustic guitars, rhythm electric guitars, basses, etc. Do I still need to view ST2 and XT2 files in the Soloist folder?

This, is so important, to make BiaB solos great again.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
ST2 & XT2.JPG (529.74 KB, 168 downloads)

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you can use Reaper enough to just to edit the solo it will be so easy you only need to run a script to get the chord sheet and one to get the track:

Full Screen

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicVillain
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
Hopefully you can listen to the solo, and comment on it. And let me know if you stick by your comment that "Band-in-a-Box is bad at generating professional guitar solos".

Peter, you have no idea how much I hope I was wrong about this. BiaB is the most efficient music software I have ever used, and generating a guitar solo with a virtual guitar instrument is a painful learning curve.

My problem with BiaB generated solo is, it's good, but not perfect, so you need to partial regen. When you partial regen, for musicality purpose, you need to regen a full bar, or at least a full beat. The result is always very close, but not the best.

The solution would be, directly comping the source material in the RealTracks folder. But I can't open and read .bt1 file, and therefore I don't know which chord is referred to which bar in the original recording. Hope you know what I'm talking about here.

MusicVillain,

The Band-in-a-Box Audio Chord Wizard, or ACW for short, can assist you with matching audio with bars and with detecting what chords are located in each bar. Check out +++ THIS +++ 8:53 YouTube video.

One issue is obvious from my screenshot below, each RealTrack folder contains multiple audio files. The answer is to use the import function to load each audio file back to back so there is one, long audio stream

Clipboard01.jpg (193.54 KB, 133 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Jim Fogle you've got it! ACW is exactly what I have been doing right now, using its chord detection function to figure out which chord is being played on which bar of the wma source audio, so I can chop and comp these source audios in a DAW by myself.

There's only one problem: it's a post-recording action, not a pre-recording action. Meaning, if the wma file gets a bit complex, ACW will tell the wrong chord, screw everything.

Jim Fogle you know how to record a User Track, and RealTrack were recorded in the same way. A user/player is given a chord sheet, with different chords, and he play along and record, then BiaB uses the chord sheet to determine which part of his track is on which chord, so later it can be cutout and inserted into a new song based on the new song's chords.

I wonder, why PG Music doesn't give this reference chord sheet of each RealTrack to its users? The size is very small. With this reference chord mapping chart, it is 100% accurate because Brent Mason recorded the whole track based on it. If BiaB starts to generate sour notes or inconsistent octaves on any RealTracks, a user with this chord chart can simply drag the source wma to his DAW, quickly find the chord he needs, cut it out, and get it done.

I truly hope, there's a way of achieving this.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have asked for that info for ages ! that's why I ended up making track injector you can get all this info using it.
I have been through all that with ACW and Melodyne, to get it accurately use the Injector.

Home Made Flamenco Realtracks

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The Villain, supposedly, a guitar player oops Professional guitar player.
I'd have thought he'd generate his own solos.
I find most BIAB solos a little too pro sounding - too genre specific - and lacking the sort of noise/accident/dissonant weirdness I enjoy.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
MusicVillian, could I ask a respectful question? If you are a professional guitarist why not play the guitar tracks?

Having ask that I understand part of the issue you are describing. Some times I generate a RT and it plus the chord it seems different from what I expect so the the chord adds a sound that takes the song to a different direction tone wise.

Best way to describe it is it seems to to go up in tone rather than down. Example a song you are familiar with goes from an A chord to an E chord the vocal goes down and the the chord up. You just don’t hear the notes you want in the chord. Don’t know if that makes sense or not but just my observation.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicVillain
If BiaB starts to generate sour notes or inconsistent octaves on any RealTracks, a user with this chord chart can simply drag the source wma to his DAW, quickly find the chord he needs, cut it out, and get it done.

Can't you do that by ear? You'd have to work your way through the file anyway.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
rayc, I agree, BiaB can do a great job generating chording tracks, but when it comes to solo tracks generating, there's always something off, either in notes or in timing, the solo just doesn't feel exciting.

Figuring out chords by ear would be impossible. Each RealTrack recording starts with major and minor chords, which are easy to identify, then it moves to 7th and dominant 7th, augment and diminish, then it goes to sus 4, add 9, flat 5, getting more and more complicated.

The best way, is still for PG to share with its users the RealTrack chord sequence sheet.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Rob Helms, you are right about RealTracks, many times it generates out-of-tune notes in the chord, aka sour notes. There's nothing you can do with sour notes except for having to regen.

Regarding to guitar solos, I can play very well but I'm still not Slash, so when it comes to emotional shred part with continuous 32rd notes, it's game over for me. That's why I need to rely on virtual guitar to generate Guns & Roses level solos to be put in my production.

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< I wonder, why PG Music doesn't give this reference chord sheet of each RealTrack to its users? The size is very small. With this reference chord mapping chart, it is 100% accurate because Brent Mason recorded the whole track based on it. If BiaB starts to generate sour notes or inconsistent octaves on any RealTracks, a user with this chord chart can simply drag the source wma to his DAW, quickly find the chord he needs, cut it out, and get it done.

I truly hope, there's a way of achieving this. >>

I can't speak for PGMusic and I'm not affiliated with them in any way, however, I've studied the BIAB production process, demos, and forum discussions to surmise the following.

The fact there are sour notes by top grade session players who obviously didn't play sour notes is a big clue to what's going on. What users presume are sour notes that somehow made it through the PGMusic developers, engineers and quality control that's certainly in place is a major clue that sour notes are 'out of place' rather than wrong. The Bt, ST2 and XT2 files exist for the BIAB algorithm and I presume are proprietary information that work in conjunction with WAV instructions. The decoded text files I've seen presented to capture chords and decode progressions have never contained any of the advanced processing that's in BIAB generated tracks. The fact that BIAB has a tool to correct sour notes is also a clue the issue is related to the algorithm selection process and not poorly played notes or chords.

It's my thought that users who generate tracks and export out to DAW's as quickly as possible are getting the rawest and most elementary track that BIAB can produce and users lose 100% of most advance features BIAB is capable of producing the moment they export or generate tracks from the main program, Plug-in or RealBand.

It's not possible to quickly find the best possible replacement for a sour note that's a better choice than BIAB can do it for several reasons.

First, as Jim Fogle displayed, there are normally multiple audio recordings for a RealTrack. However, BIAB can search and select audio from multiple RealTracks other than the one displayed in the Mixer. Users may or may not know of the RealTrack Medley Maker that provides 10 additional slots for any other RealTrack to be merged with the main RealTrack displayed in the BIAB Mixer. This feature is available for the seven original Legacy Tracks. Therefore, BIAB can generate up to 77 separate RealTracks in a single render and can manipulate how these 77 slots will play out in the BIAB Chord Chart in 8-10 different ways. By various bar counts (2,4,8,16,32), Part Markers, Choruses, whole song, and manually or play them all simultaneously. This is evidence BIAB can read from and select audio from a minimum of eleven different RealTracks at once.

These track sub-mixers have panning and volume controls for each additional RealTrack. There are special RealTracks to specifically interact with these sub-mixer RealTracks that along with WAV instructions direct the BIAB to make specific audio choices for intro's and outro's and process multiple actions across a single measure of the chord chart where one RT instrument is fading and another fades in, providing cross fading and correct audio for an ending for instrument and opening phrasing for the other instrument.

A user can designate all seven mixer tracks and sub-mixer tracks to specifically take advantage of the BIAB algorithm in order to comp a single instrument performance that's saved as an Artist Performance File. The Artist Performance File is imported and placed on a Legacy or Utility Track and the process can be repeated for another instrument. This process can be repeated over and over.

BIAB recognizes RT-1152 Silence the same as other RT's and BIAB will react differently and select different audio snippets than if a user chooses to use the (F5) mute feature and this method eliminates abrupt cut-off endings and intros. The difference is due to when using RT-1152 or any other RT, BIAB selects the audio based on the Chord Chart and Mixer programing which is a pre-render action whereas using (F5) mute is a post-render action.

Many users may never think of a time to need 77 RealTracks in a song and that's true. But, it's important to note these are RealTrack slots. This means as few as two RealTracks is all that's necessary to fill these slots in a pre-render arrangement format allowing a single song that consists of hundreds of variations and changes between the RealTracks. This makes it incredibly fast and easy to swap instruments while retaining the arrangement of the instruments and allows the BIAB algorithm to provide all its advanced features.

Note also that PGMusic staff finalizes all of the demos, demo with vocals, lessons and RealTrack/RealStyle videos as BIAB files. Not as RealBand Seq files, Pro-tools, Sonar, Studio One, Cakewalk or Reaper files. They use these software tools, but not from the inside out to finish them but from the outside in.

Then there's the additional features like MultiStyles that aren't recognized by the Plug-in, RealBand or any DAW.

While this is speculation on my part, so far, treating the speculation as true has given me the expected results 100% of the time.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Using the track sections you could always use Melodyne to correct notes as you can extend or shorten any section or generate a new bit.

Full Screen

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Charlie Fogle, you are getting too technical here. I read your essay back and forth twice, still didn't have a clue on how to use the medley slot to fix the bad chords.

Say, I open up BiaB, enter my chords, choose a style, generate a standard 32 bar song, all bars are set to substyle A, the song includes a Brent Mason fingerpick acoustic guitar track.

Then I single this fingerpick track, mute everything else, listen, and find the track is a total mess.

In Bar 7, the chord has obvious sour notes and doesn't fit the song.
In Bar 13, the chord sounds bad and it's transposed from a different key.
In Bar 22, the chord is in the wrong octave, notes are an octave higher than Bar 21 & 23, doesn't fit in between.
In Bar 26, the chord is in the wrong play style, it plays much more notes than Bar 25 & 27, musically sounds bad.

So, can you provide a step by step guide, on how you would fix Bar 7, 13, 22, 26?

The current method I'm using, is to freeze everything, sit there, track by track, bar by bar, repetitively partial regen, until a proper chord is generated, very time consuming.

Doing partial regen to fix a bad generated chord, is like playing Russian Roulete, you never know the next one you get is good or worse.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,667
Posts735,684
Members38,535
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
adolesentcodger, Elizabeth Stephen, Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra
38,534 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 175