Band-in-a-Box for Windows
U
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
U
Hello,
I have never heard a song anywhere that had a melody created by the melodist,
so since 2022 I have created over 1400 AABA MGU`s with a few simple RT styles.

I still have the following problems with Release 1010 under Win 11 pro:
1. "Melodist Jukebox" stops after the first song.

2. Rt styles are not loaded. Midi styles only.(manual reload helps)

3. Melodist Edit Femster "5" will not be accepted in the tempo indications. (e.g.: 105 becomes 104)

4. Change Melodist File does not open the list of soloists but the last opened one.

5. Melodist does not create usable melodies or chord progressions outside of AABA song form. (e.g.: 12 bar blues, verses with odd bars....)
I was hoping that the parameter for changing the instrument might do something, but it didn't. And yes, I tried to regenerate individual parts manually.

6. None of the 217 melodists seem able to deliver a musical melody out of the box.
Disabling the "change the melodist" function results in the melodies sounding less interesting, but helps to connect the offered melody fragments more quickly to usable melodies.Then you can try to reactivate them to get more interesting suggestions.
Here it could be helpful if BiaB would recognize which part I am working on and only make further suggestions that make sense melodically.
E.g.: I have an 8 bar chord progression, but I want to change the beginning (bar 1), then BiaB should only offer me changes that are suitable for starting the melody.
For example, an 8 bar chord progression could be structured like this:
Bars 1-2 = theme ; Bars 3-4 = theme variation (energy increase) with half cadence ending; Bars 5-6 = new theme; Bars 7-8 Topic ends with full cadence.

7. Super minimalist documentation. The manual says less about the functions than the popup help for the individual settings.

8. The reharmonist regularly chops up great tunes with terrible chord progressions. It seems he doesn't like to reharminate the melodist with himself.

9. It would be nice if there was a checkbox for using the Vocal Wizard function within the Melodist window.

The songs I have made contain around 700 really great ideas that are worth working on.
Unfortunately, it is necessary to correct a lot manually.
Some of the melodies occasionally get "ghost notes" that need to be erased. Very often the melodies have to be transposed, but the function for this is hidden deep in the menus. Right click with mouse after selecting the area to be transposed would be great, Hotkey for "Melody transpose in range" great.

I think that's enough points to test for now.
What are your experiences?

Some examples i did made with the Melodist and "HalionSonic Noisy Tenor Sax" and "_Strong.STY" :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1frRnKIRAaIeuenYVIGknLmMfwg_ZrYvF?usp=sharing

Last edited by Uwe Schwarz; 05/02/23 07:45 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Uwe Schwarz
6. None of the 217 melodists seem able to deliver a musical melody out of the box.

FWIW - I have never hear a "musical melody out of the box" from any software program. Maybe there is some out there but I have never heard one write a good complete song yet. YMMV

IMHO it takes a human to write musical melodies. I should add that I have heard some non-musical melodies from humans also.

The melodist, as well as other music generating programs, are good a producing a section or two of notes that one can build melodies. That is how I use both the melodist and soloist.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
U
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
U
Originally Posted By: MarioD

FWIW - I have never hear a "musical melody out of the box" from any software program. Maybe there is some out there but I have never heard one write a good complete song yet. YMMV

IMHO it takes a human to write musical melodies. I should add that I have heard some non-musical melodies from humans also.

The melodist, as well as other music generating programs, are good a producing a section or two of notes that one can build melodies. That is how I use both the melodist and soloist.

have you listened to some of my examples? They`re all biaB melodist songs.
I love your great footnotes.

Veteran
Veteran

have you listened to some of my examples? They`re all biaB melodist songs.

I listened to several of the examples. In my view there is a mechanical feel to the melody and it is either predictable, or completely non-predictable. Certainly not convincing melodies (in my view).

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
U
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
U
hey "Audiotrack" thanks for listening.
Does your criticism mean that you were able to achieve better results with the melodist?
It is well considered that the examples are pure selections and not further editing of the melody parts by a human being.
This means that only the melodist worked here and what went best was spared from regeneration.
A comparison to human-written melodies may not be relevant (maybe not yet)
I'm looking for tips and tricks to improve the results. Preferably something you can hear, of course.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hello,
I have never heard a song anywhere that had a melody created by the melodist ...
I could be completely wrong, but I've always assumed many of the PG Music demo songs were created that way. Some of the demo songs even contain very recognizable chord progressions from standards, since that is not copyrightable, with unique melodies they add. The combination IS copyrightable, and they have done so.

But I don't think we know for certain where all those melodies came from.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
U
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
U
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Hello,
I have never heard a song anywhere that had a melody created by the melodist ...
I could be completely wrong, but I've always assumed many of the PG Music demo songs were created that way. Some of the demo songs even contain very recognizable chord progressions from standards, since that is not copyrightable, with unique melodies they add. The combination IS copyrightable, and they have done so.

But I don't think we know for certain where all those melodies came from.

Hi Matt,
I don't have melodies for most of the demo songs.
I think you have the artist performance demos in mind?
Have you ever played with the melodist?

My hope was to start something like a competition here.
It would be great to hear from you BiaB professionals what you can get out of the Melodist.
Maybe we can use it to uncover program errors and share ways to better deal with BiaB.
Just hearing "good song examples" would help me to recognize the limitations of the melodist.
I have created about 700 songs with the Melodist and was surprised how high the variability of a single melodist can be.
However, I am not able to predict whether further changing my results would not bring an improvement.
A few sample songs would be a kind of benchmark.

So you're all invited to measure your Melodist songs against mine. For those who don't have the xpro4 pak and therefore can't use the _Strong.sty, _Popmhrt.sty is an alternative.

Please become active and surprise me with facts and share your experiences with me.

Veteran
Veteran
hey "Audiotrack" thanks for listening.
Does your criticism mean that you were able to achieve better results with the melodist?

To be absolutely honest, I have never used the melodist (nor soloist). I only ever write my own.
Incidentally, I wasn't criticizing your work, just commenting on the mechanical feel of the melodist, but I guess you know that already smile

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
U
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
U
@audiotrack,
as a musician I love criticism! Preferably constructive criticism.

I'm trying to encourage a more interactive exchange of experiences here. Maybe I can motivate one or the other to participate? I think it would be great if that worked.

So everything is OK, more criticism please! That's about 20 Melodist creations, all of which were created within about 1 hour. You can probably get better results with a little more work.
However, the most meaningful are the results without further manual processing!
I think the effort of about 30 minutes for 2-3 AABA-form songs is manageable?

Please join us and let's hear and discuss.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I usually use the melodist in the following manner.

1. Create a chord sheet to my liking.

2. Add my lyrics (bar based.)
(Pop open a beer)

3. Test a few melodist I think will sound decent.
(Drink second beer)

4. Open the piano roll and move a few notes around to adjust the melody more to what I hear in my head. (Have my second beer, no wait third)

5. Shorten, lengthen, add, and delete notes till they fit my lyrics better
(Hate it and start over.) (bink another dreer)

6. Rinse and repeat till I get something I like.

7. Take a nap I suddenly feel tired

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
U
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
U
Hello Rob,
Thank you for your feedback and Prosit.

Did I understand you correctly? So you use the Melodist to provide your chord progression with a suitable melody?

How satisfied are you with the performance of the program?
I'm having trouble with the melodists getting a good result on forms other than AABA.
Do you have a suggestion for me please?

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
It is never perfect. It requires some work. Looking at the melody in connection with the lyrics. Adding missing notes. Subtracting extra notes.

I look at it this way. If I had to create a melody from scratch i would spend hours adding and moving notes around. Matching them up to the lyrical needs. At the minimum the melodist gives me a starting place. Sometimes I need to try different melodist and settings.

I think some we (myself definitely included) expect to much from software. I do carpentry work and I never expect my tool box to hang a door. They are just tools I am the craftsman.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
Hello,
I have never heard a song anywhere that had a melody created by the melodist,

So here is one for you. https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=762642#Post762642

My experience reinforces exactly what Rob reported above.

The BIAB Melodist worked well for me, at first. But, the songs actual melody may be better consider "inspired by the BIAB Melodist" rather than written by the BIAB Melodist.

Once I heard a couple different options I settled on this Melody and began working on how to integrate my lyrics into the music. The BIAB melody, as written, is shown below and is used in the opening 8 bars of the song. After that my vocals take over the melody. The issue I had was not so much the notes themselves but rather the timeing. As you see in the picture the BIAB melody is way behind the beat. As a result when I tried to add drums and bass and sing, the off timing of the melody caused a problem. I needed to do a lot of adjustment in the midi editor.

Bottom line. I used the Melodist only as an ispiration for the melody. After that I had to created the adjustments I needed. But I was happy with the results overall.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2023-05-10 071636.jpg (160.42 KB, 150 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

U
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
U
Thank you Rob and MusicStudent for your contributions.

I apologize for my problem in expressing myself more clearly.
You've already arrived at the step of producing songs. I would like to stay with the step of finding ideas.

The melodist can create chord progressions and melodies together for an RT style.

My examples above are the result with the "_Strong.STY".
The sax plays a vocal part just without lyrics.

These are not complete songs!
The format is more like: Intro; Verse; Chorus; 1/2 Verse; Ending

However, it is important to note that these are results in which neither the melody nor the chords have been edited! These are results produced by the melodist.

The aim was to get ideas for interesting combinations of chord progressions and melodies.
That's what you can hear above. From these ideas I choose the best ones and only then do I create the song.

With this topic I would like to get and share tips for improving and understanding how the Melodist works.
Maybe you think a little differently about the examples above?
Please let me know.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi I use it sometimes for a starting point for songs and a melody when the creative well is dry!!!! not for lyrics, but phrases however if you change chords which I do. the melody creator will not make music sense and maybe
the reason is, it's not following a standard progression, I am very limited in music theory perhaps there's a pool of instructions it follows. I'm sure!!! however realtracks did work in later versions.. creating chord progressions with reatracks. why not improve it!! just saying there's a lot of talented people on PG team so the medalist and chord builder I use together great working tools thanks to PG my 2 cents

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
U
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
U
It's a shame, it looks like nobody's going to join in.
Topic ended.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,546
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173