Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Loz Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm back re-visiting how to make some new backing tracks for my solo guitar work.

In the past I bought and used Coyote... but now with the options in BIAB 2022 I am a little confused by the options.

Am I right thinking that the CoyoteWT is not the same as my old DXi version? From what I've read its just a wrapper of the old MS WT?

I have installed Cubase so have Roland TTS-1 - but noy convinced this is the best option.

Which leaves Sforzando and vstsynth64 as VST options. My feeling is that I should now be using VST for the MIDI output. But which of these two would you recommend? I guess the other linked question is which soundfont files to use? I'm a little unclear as to which is the PGM recommend synth between these 2?

Also I see Sforzando says there is an update available, but I think the BIAB version is specific to BIAB - is that right, or can it be upgraded via the vstsynth site?

Apologies for so many questions - I have looked thro past post and looked at the PGM tutorials.

Thanks for any help.

Loz.

U
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
U
With installed Cubase I use the halion sonic in GM mode. The others make my ears bleed.

Veteran
Veteran
"Am I right thinking that the CoyoteWT is not the same as my old DXi version?"

See here:
Coyote Forte SF2

Veteran
Veteran
Another vote for Halion Sonic, tried most of them but keep coming back to it.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
First, you are correct, the CoyoteWT is not the same as the old Coyote Forte DXi version. However, that old version no longer works in BIAB 64.

Second, the vstsynthfont gets my 100% recomendation. It is free with BIAB and includes the newest update.

And finally, if you look around carefully or ask the right person, you can find the Coyote Forte SF2 (which is Coyote Forte Dxi) to use with the current version of Vstsynthfont in BIAB or in your DAW.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
For its GM bank, I really like the Ketron SD2. It's an external synth and hard to get in the US but I believe Thomann still sells it.

All the GM sounds are solid and useable, and IMO noticeably better than the Coyote soft synths.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Depends on the task.
Just GM or the one that does program changes?

The top ones that I know of that do program changes are:

The budget, and the one that you probably already have is VSTsynthfont, which is very flexible. Quality depends on SF2 bank you have.

The best, in my view is Halion / Sonic from Yamaha. Comes as VSTi or stand alone software. Prior to this year, it had VST2 version, which works great in BIAB. As of now, only VST3 (and standalone). Peter Gannon confirmed in wishlist that VST3 support is coming next year, so I will hold off on upgrading for now.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#

... Quality depends on SF2 bank you have.

Just to be clear...

Quote:
...if you look around carefully or ask the right person, you can find the Coyote Forte SF2 (which is Coyote Forte Dxi) to use with the current version of Vstsynthfont in BIAB

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Dan, since your posts are normally ever so clear, I'm assuming there is a reason for the lack of clarity here. I trust you so even though I don't know, I won't ask.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
FWIW, I use Roland Sound Canvas VA and am really pleased with it. Maybe I was hit in the head with one too many U-220's though...

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (59.14 KB, 257 downloads)

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
Loz Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you all for the valuable feedback.

I mainly just use BIAB for Drums and Bass with occasional keys. I just want simple backings for my guitar. I use VST plugins (MODO Bass and SSD 5.5) in Reaper, so I'm not whether a full GM2 synth is needed... I've experimented with loading the VST's onto each track in BIAB but had a few crashes. I know I could just drag the MIDI into Reaper, but I like the spontaneity of using BIAB.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Loz
Thank you all for the valuable feedback.

I mainly just use BIAB for Drums and Bass with occasional keys. I just want simple backings for my guitar. I use VST plugins (MODO Bass and SSD 5.5) in Reaper, so I'm not whether a full GM2 synth is needed... I've experimented with loading the VST's onto each track in BIAB but had a few crashes. I know I could just drag the MIDI into Reaper, but I like the spontaneity of using BIAB.

Loz, your Modo should work on your bass line, just be sure that you are using the VST 2 version.

SSD-5 will not work for your drums because it is not GM compliant. You will need a VST 2 GM compliant drum kit. I think Addictive Drums 2 is VST2 and it has a GM drum setting. Google/Bing and I'm sure you will find others. DO NOT get a VST 3 version as VST 3 plug-ins will not work in BiaB right now. It has been rumored VST 3 is coming soon though.

I hope this helps.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Loz Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Cheers Mario,

I may well have been loading the VST3 modo bass, hence the crashes.

I find when I drag the bass midi to Reaper that it is 1 octave below where it needs to be to trigger Modo Bass.... not sure whether I need change the mapping on Modo or if I can get BIAB to automatically increase the bass octave by 1? Need to do some testimng.

Regarding SSD drums... interestingly that has worked ok to a point. I see its not GM compliant... but it seems very close and I have a GM midi map for it... so hoping I can get that working well.

Thanks for your help.

Veteran
Veteran
If you use VstSynthFont as default synth you can set any channel to any VST.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
VstSynthFont-Assign-VST.png (73.76 KB, 216 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Loz

I find when I drag the bass midi to Reaper that it is 1 octave below where it needs to be to trigger Modo Bass.... not sure whether I need change the mapping on Modo or if I can get BIAB to automatically increase the bass octave by 1? Need to do some testimng.

Regarding SSD drums... interestingly that has worked ok to a point. I see its not GM compliant... but it seems very close and I have a GM midi map for it... so hoping I can get that working well.

Thanks for your help.

Bass guitar and regular guitars are written one octave higher than they sound. That is so all of the notes will stay in either the bass clef for the bass or the treble clef for guitars with out a lot of ledger lines.. BiaB writes bass in actual notation. Good sounding bass VSTis expect the input to be an octave higher, i.e. as written for a bass. Hence your problem. If you raise the BiaB bass track 1 octave it will not sound right in BiaB.

The very first thing I do when I bring MIDI into my DAW I raise the bass track one octave as I also have good bass VSTis.

For your I like the spontaneity of using BIAB statement forget using SSD-5 drums and use a GM drum kit. Many BiaB drum tracks use percussion and SSD-5 has no percussion instruments, only a major drum kit: This is true for many good drum VSTis. There are some really good SF2, and SFZ GM drums available.

On a side note I when I bring a GM drum track into my DAW, Studio One Pro 6, I assign the SSD-5 drum VSTi to it. I then explode all notes to different tracks and label said tracks, i.e. kick, snare, crash cymbal, etc. Then I find the matching SSD-5 to the track label. If I want this also allows me to assign various SSD-5 kits to individual tracks and to assign various percussion instruments as needed.

I hope this helps.

{edit} - PS, don't forget you can use Realdrums also.

Last edited by MarioD; 05/05/23 03:06 AM.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Mario, questions about the correct register when writing notation for guitar and bass show up here pretty often. Would you consider making a post with your helpful info for the Tips and Tricks Forum?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Loz Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Brilliant... thanks Mario, that is very informative and helpful.

I see in the channel prefs I can change the bass from -1 to 0... which if I have my Modo Bass vst assigned works fine, but as you say a regular midi synth would then be 'wrong'.

So it looks like using a GM is probably best in BIAB and then finish off in Reaper using my dedicated vst's.

I've experimented with readdrums... but I'm trying to get a consistent (and editable) drums and bass tone for each song, much as you would get with a live band if that makes sense.

Expert
Expert
I've looked and looked but don't find a source for the 'Coyote Forte GM 2.sf2'. Anyone got a location for me?

Kevin smile

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Mario, questions about the correct register when writing notation for guitar and bass show up here pretty often. Would you consider making a post with your helpful info for the Tips and Tricks Forum?

I just uploaded some information into the Tips and Tricks forum. I hope it isn't to complicated.

U
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
U
HalionSonic7 is for free!
For everyone who may need it:

https://www.steinberg.net/vst-instruments/halion/sonic/

But only VST3. Since PG has not implemented any VST3 support since the first VST3 in 2008, you have to use vst3shell_v1.2.1.

https://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/vst3shell_v1.2.1.zip

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,550
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 164