Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
The tracks labeled "Silence" in the multi styles are only silent some of the time. I can't figure out the source of the RT sounds for these tracks. This is probably easy but I can't find it in the Help file. Example below. Thanks!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (229.46 KB, 225 downloads)

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
These are likely multistyles or other songs with style changes.
THe "silence" just refers to the start of the track being silent, likely because the first style used doesnt use that track, but later styles do use that track.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
As Dr. Gannon noted, a multistyle can have different instruments at different times on a track. You select the style in use with part markers. Part markers A & B will use the first style instrument selections while subsequent part marker pairs load a new style with new instruments.

Let us know what multistyle you used and we can identify the other instruments on the Silence tracks.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
These are likely multistyles or other songs with style changes.
THe "silence" just refers to the start of the track being silent, likely because the first style used doesnt use that track, but later styles do use that track.

Thanks for the quick response, Peter! Yes, these are multistyles and the "silence" tracks are not used on the first style. So I get why they are labeled "silence". But, if possible, I'd like to know what realtrack each "silence" track plays when they ARE used. Here's why

My BiaB tracks end up in a DAW where I have to manually name them. For most tracks I can see both the RT number and the name of the RT on the waveform when I drag them over. For "silence" tracks I don't see anything as helpful.

THANKS again!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
As Dr. Gannon noted, a multistyle can have different instruments at different times on a track. You select the style in use with part markers. Part markers A & B will use the first style instrument selections while subsequent part marker pairs load a new style with new instruments.

Let us know what multistyle you used and we can identify the other instruments on the Silence tracks.

Jim, thanks for the response! The multistyle in the example is _LOST+, but I'm looking for a general approach to directly accessing the RT name/number so I can efficiently name my DAW stems. "Regular" tracks include the RT number and name when I drag them to the DAW; "silence" tracks do not.

This might be in the "too hard" bucket.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
General approach to access MultiStyle RT names and numbers:

General information:

_Lost+ MultiStyle has four variations and likely 5 or six additional instruments and changes.

To access the additional Styles included in the _Lost+ style, there are 4 of them. You can highlight each and review the differences, additions and instrument deletions one by one.
_Lost1.sty
_Lost2.sty
_Lost3.sty
_Lost4.sty

and there are additional style instruments included onto some of the Utility Tracks of these styles.

To list these styles, enter _Lost.sty into the search Bar filter box

Once you've selected one of the numbered styles, you will also need to select the small pull-down arrow beside the first visible Utility Track to see which ones have content.

Entering + into the search bar filter box will filter a search for all PG developed MultiStyles of which there are hundreds.

Hope this helps.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Charlie, this is spot on, and I appreciate the reply! Even though I can do this, or go to the multistyle (or demo song) memo field description, or even just listen to the track and use my ears, was hoping there MIGHT be a way to tell what RT instrument is on each multistyle track by just looking at the "silence" track fields in the multistyle differently. But it appears that information is no longer visible in the mixer view or in the dragged/dropped track .WAV files. Not a complaint, was just interested in working through these multistyles a bit faster if I was missing something. I learn something here every day, whether I post of not. smile

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Right click on any part Marker and the letter associated with a Part Marker will display the associated Style (ie:_Lost3.Sty, etc ) and provide details of the instrumentation connected with each particular style.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2023-06-01 204927.jpg (123.7 KB, 183 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Right click on any part Marker and the letter associated with a Part Marker will display the associated Style (ie:_Lost3.Sty, etc ) and provide details of the instrumentation connected with each particular style.

Charlie, yes, this is useful but it still won't tell me, for example, which of the four identically labeled "silence" tracks are the added electric guitar tracks, which are the pad, etc. Looks like I have to figure it out by listening to each track, which seems a bit clunky but doable.

THANK YOU, again!

Capture.JPG (72.34 KB, 160 downloads)

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Have been thinking about this a bit and have a thought. Wouldn't it be more useful if each MultiStyle displayed the FULL instrument range and not only the range for the first style? In other words, the _Lost+ style would look like this:

LostPlus.png (366.9 KB, 140 downloads)

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: MoultiPass
And when we have several instruments that follow one another on the same Silence track, how would we display it?

Now THAT's a good question if more than one instrument is mapped to a track. On the _LOST+ multistyle used in my example each of the four subordinate styles (_LOST1 through _LOST4) preserve a unique track for each instrument. Looking at a couple more multistyle examples, this APPEARS to be a general rule for multityles but may not be.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
Veteran
Veteran
LOST is a perfect name for this arrangement, cause thats what I find myself trying to follow along. But carry on. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
LOST is a perfect name for this arrangement, cause thats what I find myself trying to follow along. But carry on. grin

Ha! I get it. I've possibly overplayed this windmill.

Short story is that a 10 track multistyle like _LOST+ that has 4 of 10 tracks labeled "silence" does not enable an easy understanding what is being played when the 4 "silence" tracks are not silent.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< Short story is that a 10 track Multistyle like _LOST+ that has 4 of 10 tracks labeled "silence" does not enable an easy understanding what is being played when the 4 "silence" tracks are not silent. >>

Lost+ is the master style of a MultiStyle that consists of 4 additional sub-styles so there are 5 total individual styles, each a complete Style itself; Lost+, Lost1, Lost2, Lost3, and Lost4. Lost1,2,3,and 4 are normal styles until they are included into a master MultiStyle. Any of the numbered styles can be selected and examined to see the instruments contained in the style.

For instance, Lost3 has 5 guitars and a Silence Track. There are two sub-styles (a and b) and if Lost3 is loaded and played as an independent Style, the Silence Track is the sole instrument for both sub-styles a and b. No audio is generated for that track unless it is included into MultiStyle Lost+.

Screenshot 2023-06-03 101512.jpg (110.69 KB, 116 downloads)
Screenshot 2023-06-03 102838.jpg (399.68 KB, 118 downloads)

DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Charlie, I do completely understand how MultiStyles work, and the role of the substyles. I'm simply disappointed at the amount of work it takes to extract which instruments are on 40% of the tracks (in this example). If the MultiStyle is hard wired to only reflect the a/b substyle, then PGM should make the a/b substyle a "kitchen sink" style, in this case _LOST3 plus the solo guitar in _LOST4. Then all ten tracks will be properly labeled for all 8 substyles (or 10 with the "kitchen sink").

Thanks AGAIN for the assist!

Last edited by DC Ron; 06/03/23 08:33 AM.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi everyone. I came here by searching, "what is the SILENCE track in Band In A Box" to try to understand if I need it when importing the BIAB files into my DAW. I read this whole thread and it was confusing. I don't see any audio information at all in the SILENCE track so I can't see why I need it. So, I guess my conclusion is that it is not needed for my DAW and I can safely delete it.

DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
In a multistyle, some of the instruments are often not used in the first two (A-B) substyles and so show up labeled "silent" when you use the style. However, those instruments are used and are NOT silent when other substyles (C-D, etc) are used.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
In thinking about what you said regarding the (A-B) (C-D) substyles I loaded my song file and noticed that it had 8 substyles available to me. I didn't even realize that it had more than the usual (A-B). I changed some of the substyles to include C, D, E, F, G and then exported the WAV files into my DAW and this time the SILENCE tracks do indeed contain some audio. Thank you for explaining it so that I could understand what is going on.

DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Happy to help. If you read through this thread there's a way to figure out exactly what instruments are on which "silence" tracks, but it takes some work...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
When I exported the WAV files into my DAW the SILENCE tracks were easy to see where the audio was located and then upon playing them I was able to identify what instruments they were and label them accordingly. That worked for me and was easy and quick.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,765
Posts737,119
Members38,574
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
kon, alnicorconsulting, BrianArmstrongAUS, Cheuan, trombonedad
38,573 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182