Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Rustyspoon# #772475 07/30/23 11:51 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
BT,

Of course AI will have an impact on industries/trades and music industry is not an exception. But are we talking about the industry here, or the other 95-99% of people who just like to tinker with music because they enjoy it?

Thankfully cars didn't stop humans from walking in the past 100+ years smile
(We do walk/move less because of cars and that unfortunately contributes to quite a few diseases.)

Rusty, I don't think anyone is saying AI will prevent you from tinkering with music (I'm certainly not saying that and it won't stop me from tinkering). Just like the adoption of cars haven't prevented me or you from walking.

I drive AND I walk.

This isn't a Boolean choice between AI with no tinkering vs no AI with all the tinkering you want. We will have both.

And if some point PG Music adds the AI I'd like to see which is real-time creation of custom styles based on an audio input like Riders of the Storm, then I could see my tinkering actually increase because I'd be producing the style of music that's actually in my head.

I'm not talking about ChatGPT creating a song for me, rather it's saying "ChatGPT assemble the best collection of great studio muscians from BiaB for the specific style of music I want". Then, once the style is created the tinkering begins.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
musiclover #772477 07/30/23 12:17 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Personally I would like to see as much of AI as possible implemented into BIAB,

1 Generate Lyrics based on ideas or words inputed(ChatGPT)
2 Generate a melody based on those lyrics.
3 Suggest a style or for AI to add its own instruments.
4 Have Vocaloid singers available to sing the song.
5 Have a lot of customization options so that the user can change things.
6 Still retain the existing way of creating a song in BIAB.

So you want software to:

Write your lyrics
Write your melody
Pick the style
Sing the song

And what is your role in this creative process? Putting your name on it?

Do you know anything whatsoever about music? Do you even play an instrument? Have you ever written a poem? A short story? A shopping list?

Wow. You want to do NOTHING and claim to be a songwriter?

I have apparently wasted 67 years of my life learning music, how to read it, how to play it on 3 instruments, how to write lyrics, arrangement, production, engineering...

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
JoanneCooper #772478 07/30/23 12:20 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
There are thousands of people out there, of all ages, who just want a song for their loved one on their anniversary or their daughter on their 21st or their dog.

So, posers, pretenders and wannabes then?

When it comes to music, be in or be out.

2. Send it to us.
Rustyspoon# #772479 07/30/23 12:57 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
People do enjoy nice postcards and sometimes can tastefully pick the one that looks good and that would even have a few nice "meaningful" words written.

Take that a step further Misha, and think about how much more deeply appreciated that card would be if the sender took the perfect picture of the perfect sunset, printed it on card stock, and wrote the verse that went inside.

All of that is what the wannabe types want to remove from the creative process and let a computer do it for them. The turn this thread has taken has done 2 things. The first is that a lot of people don't understand what AI really is. The second is that people with no talent want to crash the party that is exclusive to real music creators.

Aren't the welding robots in car factories a form of AI? They have been around for decades.
How about car engines that automatically adjust fuel and air mixtures based on what the engine air sensors dictate?
You have a Roomba? You can set a timer to start that device and vacuum your living room by itself.

Anything automated uses some form of AI. AI isn't just a computer thing.

ChatGPT created lyrics? To those who sing the praises of tings like ChatGPT, let me offer this thought to you.

On your significant other's next birthday, have ChatGPT write lyrics for a song rather than YOU telling the story of what they mean to you. Make sure you tell her that you allowed a computer to do that rather than doing it yourself. Let me know how that works out. I just hope you bought the 7 foot couch and not the 5 foot loveseat.

Songs are stories set to music. Nothing can tell your story better than you can. Certainly not a web page.

There are songs on my CD were all written after women dumped me. That is a very real, raw emotion that nobody could express but me. Here is a +++LINK+++ to a shared Google Drive folder with 5 songs that are very personal to me. If you choose to, listen to these songs and let me know by PM if you think ChatGPT could have told those stories as well as my own hand did.

2. Send it to us.
mrgeeze #772481 07/30/23 01:10 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is a song you write yourself.

This is a song you write with all kinds of AI.

I mean, they are both flowers, right? LOL!!!

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #772482 07/30/23 01:14 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
This is a song you write yourself.

This is a song you write with all kinds of AI.

I mean, they are both flowers, right? LOL!!!

Actually.... My efforts would look more like the bottom one

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Bass Thumper #772485 07/30/23 01:53 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
And if some point PG Music adds the AI I'd like to see which is real-time creation of custom styles based on an audio input like Riders of the Storm, then I could see my tinkering actually increase because I'd be producing the style of music that's actually in my head.

I'm not talking about ChatGPT creating a song for me, rather it's saying "ChatGPT assemble the best collection of great studio muscians from BiaB for the specific style of music I want". Then, once the style is created the tinkering begins.

I mean no disrespect but one can learn a lot about music by creating your own custom tracks. For me creating music that I had a heavy hand is is very rewarding, regardless if anyone likes it or not.

For it to mean anything the arts MUST be created by humans. AI can be a helping hand but a human must play the biggest part.

YMMV

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
mrgeeze #772511 07/30/23 07:13 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Oh my word Eddie, this type of attitude “The second is that people with no talent want to crash the party that is exclusive to real music creators” is exactly what I stand against. It puts people off even trying. Who exactly is entitled to call themselves “real music creators”.

BassThumper. I am also on that list of people whose jobs may become obsolete with AI. I am a business analyst BUT am already using AI in my job to produce documentation at a hugely increased rate (and with a much better quality) so maybe while other business analysts are busy lamenting how AI put them out of work I will become valuable in another role entirely. Bring it on.

Misha; you actually made my point with this statement “ What is your "story", your "feelings", "you" in it?” that is exactly it. Everyone has a story that they can tell, or write a poem or draw a picture about. What they have not been able to do, until now, is make a song about it.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
eddie1261 #772512 07/30/23 07:22 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

I have found that I can produce better quality with AI.

(Verse 1)
[G] In a painting of flowers on a [C] blue background
[G] I found a beauty that [C] knows no bound
[Am] Close up of a flower, so [C] delicate and [G] rare
[Am] Nature's masterpiece, beyond [C] compare

(Chorus)
[G] Oh, the colors they [C] blend and they [G] bloom
[Am] Like a symphony, a [C] sweet perfume
[G] Flowers on a blue [C] background, they [G] speak
[Am] Of love and joy, the [C] language they keep

(Verse 2)
[G] I see the wonders of [C] life unbound
[Am] Close up of a flower, its [C] petals unfold
[G] A story of beauty that [C] never grows old

(Chorus)

(Bridge)
[Am] And as I gaze upon this [C] canvas so fine
[G] I'm reminded of the wonders of [C] time
[Am] Each brushstroke tells a story, [C] sings a song
[G] Of nature's beauty, where I [C] belong

(Chorus)

(Outro)
[G] I find solace, peace, and [C] love profound
[Am] Close up of a flower, a [C] moment in time
[G] Forever captured in this [C] rhyme

Courtesy of LyricLab in about 2 seconds

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
mrgeeze #772513 07/30/23 07:54 PM
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Let's see AI write something like:

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief,
"There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

"No reason to get excited", the thief, he kindly spoke,
"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late".

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.
Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl. "

Last edited by Byron Dickens; 07/30/23 07:56 PM.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
mrgeeze #772514 07/30/23 08:02 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Byron. It won’t be able to write something like that but it can give you a head start.

MarioD #772531 07/31/23 02:57 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

I mean no disrespect but one can learn a lot about music by creating your own custom tracks. For me creating music that I had a heavy hand is is very rewarding, regardless if anyone likes it or not.

For it to mean anything the arts MUST be created by humans. AI can be a helping hand but a human must play the biggest part.

YMMV

No disrespect taken and all is well. I happen to agree that "one can learn a lot about music by creating your own custom tracks." These tracks could be created by assembling individual humans to play each individual instrument, or by using current versions of BiaB to create the tracks, or by using an enhanced version of BiaB that is able to build a custom style that is then used to create the track, or by some combination of the above. This list of approaches can also be expanded if other tools are considered.

In a similar way, one can learn a lot about math by using pencil and paper, utilizing a handbook, using a high-end mathematics program or using a math AI tool.

I also agree that "AI can be a helping hand". This, in fact, is how I view AI in general. It's just another [powerful] tool in the toolbox.

I applaud Joanne for being bold, brave, and forward-thinking regarding AI technology. I can tell she is not the least bit fearful of it.

Here is a quote I like to think about.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -Thomas Watson

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
mrgeeze #772536 07/31/23 03:17 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well I think there is no stopping AI as regards music making, it will in the end be accepted by more and more musicians as it becomes less expensive and more common.

Whether PGMusic intends to put Ai into their products will be a decision for them, but other than licencing reasons and what it would cost them, they could build ChatGpt into BIAB in a future edition.

Don't see any reason as other Ai tools become available, and if it was cost effective for Pgmusic to do so, they might be added too.

I think as long as the old way of creating a song is retained in BIAB, everyone should be happy.

I wrote a little song with the following lines,

"Everyday is different in life's roller coaster ride,
And it's so good to have you right here by my side"

I didn't like the last line for various reasons, so asked ChatGpt to come up with something different. It gave me this,

"Everyday is different in life's roller coaster ride,
With it's ups and downs twists and turns, you're always on my side"

Which I felt better with, so I used it.

Winner with you.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
JoanneCooper #772537 07/31/23 03:25 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Byron. It won’t be able to write something like that but it can give you a head start.

And that.... is exactly how I use AI in my musical compositions.

It quickly gives me a number of ideas from the few brief sentences I provide as guidance. It provides a lot of ideas in the form of verses and choruses. Some of which are not relevant in the course of what I'm working on, some of which are perfect or nearly so, and others that spark new thoughts and directions for ME to take in putting the song together.

Will AI be able to write another ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER, or TANGLED UP IN BLUE? I have no doubt that it will. Maybe not now.... but then again the automobile was a very crude, noisy, slow, and unreliable vehicle when it was first introduced. AI is learning exponentially and there's no telling where we'll be in another 3 to 5 years with it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
mrgeeze #772539 07/31/23 03:51 AM
Off-Topic
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
In the end, when you hear a song, you won't know how it was created.
And why should you care?
Either you like the song or you don't.

Whether someone spent hours on their own or in a collaboration, hired professional musicians,
rented a recording studio, paid to have it distributed OR

spent fifteen minutes with AI, pumped it out and put it up on the net,
if it's a song you'd like to listen to, does it really matter how it got to your ears?

LLOYD S

JoanneCooper #772544 07/31/23 04:17 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
@JoanneCooper Couldn't YOU have written those horrible lyrics?

Do you know at all what prosody is?

Those AI lyrics completely lack prosody and are the kind of sappy, pappy nonsense that makes me laugh.

I would be absolutely embarrassed to put a song out with those lyrics. There's no emotion, no story, no feeling. A well written song has to be both intellectual and visceral. It has to make you think AND make you feel. Those AI lyrics are nothing more than what happens when somebody sits with a rhyming dictionary on their lap and spits out any sort of nonsense that does nothing more than rhyme.

As far as discouraging people from trying, use cooking as an analogy. Not everybody can cook, and many will NEVER be able to cook. It is a skill, and an art form, that you either have the aptitude for or not. I am a very good cook, but I had the benefit of being married to a woman who was a food writer at our newspaper and she taught me about layering flavors, getting just the right amount of seasoning on/in the food, and cooking things to the right temperature. (Every had chicken that didn't hit 165 degrees farenheit? If so, did you enjoy the food poisoning that likely followed?)

So... layering flavors = layering sounds.
Proper seasoning = voicing chords and looking for embellished chord substitutions.
Correct temp = meaningful lyrics that tell a story, preferably one from your own life that touches people.
And if you eat dessert, dessert = arrangement.

I put up a link that either nobody cared to click or nobody cared to comment in PM. I believe that I am a strong lyric writer. You may not agree, as is your choice. But when you listen to my songs you get to hear a story from my life. I will never write a "croon moon spoon June" song. Todd Rundgren once told me that "I Saw The Light" was supposed to be a joke because he wrote down a bunch of words that rhymed and then wrote a song using them. Yet it is one of most well known songs. Irony can be so ironic.

Disclaimer: This next statement is just what I think.

I don't like it when people want to take shortcuts because it devalues music education, and that is disrespectful to the old skool musicians who have been at this for 60+ years. Put in the time. Learn the CRAFT and THEN worry about turning out (bad) songs just to feel good about yourself. There are too many Cowboy Chord guitar strummers out there who never leave the 3rd fret and have no ability to ever play a solo.

Last edited by eddie1261; 07/31/23 04:35 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Lloyd S #772547 07/31/23 04:34 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And every song sounds the same. Exactly 3:34 in duration, mentioning drinking wine, dirt roads and pickup trucks, sung by a bad girl singer that sounds like she has a, uh, well, something, stuck in her throat.

Music of today stinks. It stropped being about the music so many years ago. Now it focused on the girl singer being hot, wearing outrageous outfits, and putting on a stage show.

The Beatles, Chicago, The Eagles... they pretty much just stood by their mics and played and sang great songs at the highest level. That's when music was music. Now the music is secondary.

2. Send it to us.
mrgeeze #772548 07/31/23 04:35 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie. Maybe making music is more about personalisation than prosody?

musiclover #772550 07/31/23 05:08 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover

I think as long as the old way of creating a song is retained in BIAB, everyone should be happy.

+1
Move forward confidently into the AI future while retain the best of the past.
It's not a Boolean choice, we can have both.

BiaB 2024 Windows
JoanneCooper #772563 07/31/23 06:57 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie. Maybe making music is more about personalisation than prosody?

So you don't really know what prosody is then?

I am out of this discussion. Music is to be revered. All of the shortcutting is just disrespectful of the art. Music is about hard work and dedication, not letting AI write your lyrics and letting software write, sing and play the songs. Very few of you seem to grasp that idea of respect.

Bye.

Last edited by eddie1261; 07/31/23 07:00 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,641
Posts735,380
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.