Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am 51
I use it at home as a learning tool to play my guitar.
I like Jazz Solos mostly for now
I am not writing new music but arranging some existing ones (i.e. trying different instruments and adding some Solo parts using the Soloist and some nice Sax or Trumpets)
I use both BIAB and RealBand
Since I bought my ketron SD2, I like the midi tracks better as I can get some pretty real sounds --especially the saxes and trumpets etc., sound unbeliveably good...)
I use Realdrums if I can find one matching the midi version
I use BIAB to learn and play along the Guitar and/or melody parts
I use Real Band to record my guitar part - and although I can do this in BIAB, I prefer to do it in RealBand, because I can record my part on several tracks (one after the other), as I know there will be many mistakes LOL. Then I can cut and paste the good parts to replace the bad parts/mistakes... This way, I can end up with one perfect track, which I use it to make the final cut.
I'll make an mp3 and put it on my iPod or give it to friends so they can compliment/appreciate me more LOL!

2008 Gibson ES-339 Custom & 2010 Les Paul Traditional. Fender SCXD Amp
BIAB/RB 2015 UltraPAK + Ketron SD2
Windows 7/64 Intel i5 3550 PC, Tascam USB144MKII
Behringer X1204 Mixer
Bose Companion 3 and/or L1 II w/T1 + SM58 MIC
Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
Wyndham & Melanie Dennison
my age 63, she's younger and a lot better looking.
My wife and I use BIAB & RT to work on Gospel music and make backing tracks for her to sing to.
We both write and she sings and supposed to read my mind when I hear something I have running around in my head.
We are both potters for over 25 yrs each, trying to eek out a living at this Arts & Craft game also in computers from early Radio Shack TRS80.
Music we like is Rock & Roll to Country to Folk & Gospel.
Usually I check "Other" in most questionnaires.
Wyndham

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

Quote:

Let's start with the assumption that the people who frequent this forum comprise a reasonably random sample of PGMusic's customer base.

I too have to wonder about that. It seems to defy logic, and with educational sales and so forth, there should be some very young users of BIAB, although they may not own a copy. I also doubt highly that this would be an accurate sample of any demographics, other than 'who posts to this forum' and 'who is interested enough to respond to this post.'

Quote:

Then, let's see how homogenous the group is in terms of:
name... age... preferred music style...do you use mostly BIAB/RB/PT ?

Gary Curran
Jazz, Big Band, Swing, Latin, Classical (depending on my mood), Rock and Roll (late 50's, early 60's), and some 'Classic Rock.'

I use Band In A Box for MIDI generation, Real Tracks Generation, and suggestions. Although I will use RB and PTPA, and am a strong supporter of those two programs, I prefer to use Sonar.

Now, the one thing that you didn't include in this little survey was the experience level, or playing level, and I find that to be a very important item.

So, for those respondents who read this, I'll ask this question as well.

What level is your playing at, and how do you use these products in support of that playing level?

My answer to that question is: I've had about a year of piano lessons, I can not read bass clef, and I classify my playing as 'Poor.' I say that from a purely technical point of view. I use BIAB to do what I can not, because I do not know how. I am unable to accompany a singer, have a very poor understanding of music theory, can not transpose on the fly, and I do not 'hear' music well. By that, I mean I could not tell you the key a song is in, or *why* a chord progression would or would not work. I hear music as a whole, but can not break it down into it's component parts and the reasoning for those parts.

I do know that Band In A Box has many associated sub-programs that could help me with that, but I have not been motivated to use them.

My instruments are this computer, and my Korg PA800 keyboard.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'll be 76 on Feb 22nd, Washington's B-Day (also)....
My instruments: Korg PA-80, Roland G-1000, Ensoniq EPS+, Korg Karma, Korg Triton, 2 Korg M3R's, Yamaha CS6X, Yamaha ES-8, 2 175's, 2 335's, an assortment of solidbody
guitars and basses and effects modules and samplers, including a Roland XP-5080 and an Akai S-5000.
And lots of fishin' poles and a 17' Alum. Osage Canoe to hunt down those Florida fishies!!

I couldn't be the oldest living BIAB user, could I? At any rate, I have to go back into Rehab with Tiger for the same reason...altho all mine have been too ugly to be Adult Film ladies. Happy touring..without Mr. "T"!!

http://www.thegigbaby.com

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Quote:

I couldn't be the oldest living BIAB user, could I? I'm open to an endorsement contract!...and, like Tiger, I'll leave it open, if I return to the links this year!

I believe that Botma (Harold) has us both beat.

Don S.

Off-Topic
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Ok, I expect in return for this information a complete statistical analysis including charts with plotted targets and trendlines indexed with an overall synopsis of data sampled... Guess you can tell what I do for a living!

Name: Rick Gale
Genre: if it's got soul... I'm in. Brass/woodwind based classic funk, R&B, jazz, blues, & guitar based rock.
I use BIAB as an accompaniment practice and recording tool to fill in with the musicians/instruments I most enjoyed playing with live back in the day when we had live music. Being I use Cakewalk Sonar Home Edition for my sound integration of pieces written in Finale, BIAB, and live recording. I have not had much need for Real Band. Although I am still very much a newbie using BIAB, it has been an excellent resource for being the springboard for song development and composition.

RickeG

Off-Topic
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Hi Bob, I have to offer you this thought. If your son is young he may have peers like himself who have the time to get together and play live. Whereas, we family folk, at this stage of our lives may have a free moment here or there. But, it just never seems to coincide with the free time of others in our position. And should the time actually sync up between friends.. the music won't. BIAB makes it feasible for those in our position in life to still keep our chops somewhat sharp and still have fun playing with the sounds of other musicians expecially with the creation of Real Tracks and other VSTi.

Besides I don't know if I agree wholely with your son on the sound. Unless he is in a band with more than the standard rhythm section of bass, drums, piano, and guitar I think he would be hard pressed to find the sound any better coming from their amps! The only thing this idea lacks that can never be intergrated would be the live interaction where you read the other players and improv as it occurs. If you are one used to playing by the chart, then this should make you feel right at home. If you are one given to improv, you are locked with what you start with.

RickeG

Off-Topic
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Hi Manning, as one who teaches guitar to young students, I especially enjoy the real young ones those under teenage years. For me, that was the time when a family member really sowed his musical life into exposing me to music from concert orchestra to vocal doo-wop to Deep Purple! And because of his passion for all that music it awakened me to that passion and joy.

I don't fault the younger generation for what you see as laziness. They just have not been shown the excitement of playing in a live setting with other musicians. Where I live the school systems have cut music out of their day. The kids go home to Rock Band because it is the only thing they have been fed by the media. And marketers know one thing about teens is if you make it exciting for one you get them all. That is what triggered the massive music movement in the 60's & 70's and as it began to wain off we now have children playing their ipod or Rock Band. And those who do play an instrument are convinced that TAB and letters over words in a text document is considered reading music.

What I have done is include music appreciation in my instruction. These kids are getting turned on to major guitarists from all generations. As I mentioned in one of my posts of a jazz guitarist from the 1920's who, in modern terms, is a complete shredder only without all the processing to boost him. Then, I take them through every possible genre so they can at least get exposed to what is beyond the completely useless radio stations play.

I want to encourage each of us that have an opportunity to get a young person excited about playing a live instrument.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I will so far be the youngest to post here. manning1, you never miss an opportunity to talk about how lazy or ignorant us youngsters are!

Let's just say that things are different.

Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Im a couple of years younger than Jagger and McCartney 65 but they do say todays 60 year olds are the 40 year olds of 30 years ago.I believe Chuck Berry is nearing 80.If you feel young and can still cut it thats what its all about.Cheers Frankie

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am a 24 year old model trapped in this body trying to get out. LOL Sorry, I couldn't resist. Fabulous fiftysomething which is the new 30 which is the new 13 which is going on 30.... Boomers reign.

All music styles except gangsta rap and polka. Ok even polka if it's got a good beat and you can dance to it.

Using the programs for writing but may go back on stage when my wonderful husband (cradle robber - I was a child bride) retires to be my roadie.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
By answering this question (and even being here on the forum) does it mean I have just joined a list of 'also ran' wannabes??

Quote:

I am a 24 year old model trapped in this body trying to get out.

Can I help you, baby? Why, its cold outside... I said, baby its cold outside!

I am very surprised by this thread. Shocked and surprised. I get shocked by friends ageing and even dieing... Am I really that old? Then again, I turned 50 in September and officially have no family and no kids (that I am aware of ) or...

I do have a military cadet, aged 18, who I kind of adopted unofficially as my 'son'. He really doesn't get on well with his parents but he is a good lad. He's the son I never had...

He plays bass guitar...

I have been looking for a keys player for a long time and they always seem to turn out to be women for some reason. Why do they always seem to be women in my life?

Well, a current gf of mine is getting her keys skills back in order (with a set of keyboards that I have lent her and a piano that my best friend has lent her). Apparently, she has even played accordion in her past? This is the second time around that a gf has presented herself as a potential keys player in a band - let's hope this time she doesn't disappear. So, maybe baby, sometime soon, I'll finally have my chance to get my songs heard...

To be honest, God only knows what I am doing here (on this planet, let alone the forum). Still, see my signature. I have my dreams and I'm working on them. PG Music software is the best tool I have...

Now, let me go and have a self-pity cry in the corner for not having achieved my music dreams YET!!!

Seriously, great software. Its what I needed from the start and I have a university degree in Business Computing Systems, let alone my Master's in Arts Management, so the software met my needs exactly 20 years ago. Still does. Just give me a chance to let loose and I will have them dancing in the streets and singing my songs in their dreams.

I'm primarily a singer/songwriter for rock & roll with a country heart and I'm British (and proud to be so)

HTH

BTW, as the saying goes. 'there are lies, there are damned lies, and then there are statistics'. Go figure! Professionally speaking, this survey does NOT constitute a veritable statistical survey - the sample is too small and too biased. Still, that's it from here

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
To add to the beginning of my post...

Baby its cold outside

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Off-Topic
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
Paddy MCgurk, 54 of Irish parentage living in Liverpool UK.

I have no reason to disagree with the fact that biab (great software that it is) is used by us older generation generally.
Look at the facts,
Developed and marketed by a gentleman that fits our age group (sorry Peter) Someone who lived through our musical era and knows what we want musically and puts it into biab.

There is no market drive by pgmusic to try and get a younger user group.

I think this is a fair sample of biab users that have replied here.

Paddy

Paddy McGurk,
Liverpool,
Don't mention the Beatles!!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"There is no market drive by pgmusic to try and get a younger user group."

I respectfully disagree with that one.
Many youngun's can benefit greatly from RB and even BiaB.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The music teachers at our school board have some version of Band in a Box. Problem is they are used to being taught how to use something, and the 3 that play in my brass band admit that there is not good starting level tutorial.

What it would take is for the songs that are part of the curriculum to be put in a folder for the appropriate grades, and a how to quick start guide needs to be included. The major problem is that they then need some kind of amplification system. Too many variables I think.

Again there is an educational niche that's untapped.

Sell a computer solution with band in a box installed, a soundsystem that works for a class room, a basic mixer a mic, and the music needed and bob's yer proverbial uncle.

An aftermarket that might exceed the current user base. And then a licencing thing to allow the students a pared down version, educational in nature, with a video, on a DVD.

Thus not only the schoolboards would be happy, but independant teachers could buy a version with drills etc for teaching specific instruments, trumpet, trombone, baritones, horns (real ones in Eb), the flute etc. Tuba would be a hit.

Given the pace of RealTracks and once the sort out the market for the genres, maybe they can offer a worship package and a new forum and just plunk all the on line hymns into it, no copyright issues, and we cussin, chewin, cuban cigar smokin, beer swillers can feel safe that the sally ann is not handing out leaflets in our favorite watering hole.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, you can keep the 'Sally Ann' well away from me!

Man, if I need God or preachin', I don't have to go looking for it! Its right here on the forae!

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hi Bob. I fully agree with your statement. However, getting them to actually use it is the trick. I'm sure many younger generational people actually mess with it. Younger people really prefer to have bands because of the closeness of their souls, doing what they love together.

I suspect there are many closet midi youngsters out there. They like to sit at their computers and see what they can create with this software.

As for me? I got my first BB and PT in 1996. I think it was BB v4 and PT 3.5(came with both a DOS and win version). I didn't know anything about midi. I'd heard it used, mainly, as a buzzword. In other words, I didn't have a clue. Everything I know about midi I learned on this forum. I still don't know all that much about it either. But what I do know I can create some killer songs with it.

In using midi I use synths, such as, Forte and VSCi. I have a great sax synth and a pretty good guitar synth. I also have a really good Les Paul soundfont that I use with SFX. I have a host of DX and VST plugins for different FX.

When Real Instruments came into being I think Peter and crew had a good far sight into the music future with its software. I think this is their answer to using looping instruments, which is pretty good when you consider the possibilities you can come up with. Only time will tell.

I'm hoping that, in the future, programs like the Forte will have real sounding instruments. Specially the guitars and drums. Lots of other too. Hopefully the VSC will be improved to sound like real instruments instead of midi instruments.

When I create a song, chances are, the instruments I use will be some RI's and some midi. I always use midi drums running the DR005 drum synth. They sound real and I can control what they do. With Real Drums I have no control. What I hear is what I get. Of course, I use my own guitars and bass in many of the songs.

Here's my stats:
Name:Russ Stanton
Instruments: Guitar and Bass (Very little keyboards) and my vocal chords
I've played since I was 17
Genre is older rock 'n roll, country, soul and blues and I like ethnic music as well.

Hope that helps with the demographics.

Russ
Anyday above ground is a good day

Computer is Hp Pavillion Vision
6 Ghz quad core AMD processor
8 Gig memory
1 TB hard drive
6 GB hard drive
Windows 7 Premium
Loose nut behind the keyboard laugh

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Pat – generally I’m not photogenic – but here’s my snapshot with a tinge of sepia.
Fav genres – I’m a 61 year old folkie and played guitar before the Beatle invasion, loved the 60’s British invasion, and the following folk rock revolution with it’s electrified instruments and multi-part harmonies. Shifted focus to new country in the early 80s when rock/pop became a wasteland. Discovered that new country best suited the style of the songs I was writing. Loved 70s folk/country and played it in bars with my six, 12 and harmonica plus a good buddy on bass and harmonies. Prior to computers I recorded on TEAC 3340s and a Tascam Portastudio 488.

Discovered BIAB in the mid 90s to create my midi backup tracks for my original tunes but never used it for live venues. However after my divorce I had much more time to be creative. Only one of my six kids decided to get involved in music as a lead guitar player (modeling himself after Edge). He was very much a purist and not a fan of midi. Guess if his band had had a keyboardist there might have been a different outcome. All my kids just wanted me to play my songs with the acoustic.. . forget BIAB. . . forget Midi . . . too fake.

I sketch the song in BIAB 2010 usually with country overtones and now move it to RB and use RTs where I feel they suit. I still like the flexibility of Midi Drums, Bass and organ and mix some combo of those and stringed RTs. I also export the RB Seq to Powertracks for editing tracks. PT is not as much of a memory hog graphically as RB is. I keep the RB track layout and export back to RB to regenerate Midi or RT tracks. I use Audacity for final tweaking and MP3 generation.

As for my familial critics - they seem to be enjoying the RTs more . . . . or else I've just worn them down and keep Midi hidden under the hood. BIAB is a great songwriting tool.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

And as you might expect, I respectfully disagree with Bob here.

There's been several posts that 'youngsters' don't want to learn MIDI- things to that effect.

I'm not saying that younger people wouldn't benefit from PG products, but I don't think they are using them. Some 'youngsters' are doing things with MIDI that most here have never dreamed of.

What they are not doing is using General Midi in many respects. In fact, many of them are using MIDI and synthesis in a way that pre-dates General Midi, in that they are into Tracker sequencers, arepeggiation as a musical device, actually programming synthesizers (albeit mostly soft-synths), etc. For an example of what I am referring to, I'll point you to just one guy I've recently discovered over on the FAWM challenge site. If you click this link, you can hear the work that he has done this month: http://fawm.org/fawmers/erothyme/

I tire of hearing that the younger folks 'just want it easy', etc. While this may be true for some, it is not the rule.

The persons in this forum probably are not an accurate sampling of PG customers, but it is highly likely that PG customers are skewed to an older generation because of the focus of PG products on General MIdi backing, and now the real-band backing.

This isn't to say that there is not a market for these types of products; certainly there is. But the PG focus is not definitely not targeting the mainstream of younger computer-based musicians.

For a contrast; join in at www.kvraudio.com forums and run the same question up the flag pole there. You will see skewness the opposite direction in the demographic; as well as hearing a wholly and fundamentally different focus to the music. Active members on that forum number in the thousands each month.

I used to try to make some noise in this forum about how antiquated the packaging and marketing of PG products seems to be - but I tired of the effort. Young folks today expect professional design in all products they use - from an aesthetic standpoint. One does not see this with PG products packaging/marketing.

Anyway, I think pwhack's assessment is right on the money. Again, not saying younger folks couldn't benefit, but there exists very little evidence PG is trying to reach them.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,697
Posts736,153
Members38,545
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Oraus, KlaasB, Sid S, Uncle Hemi, KWADWO FRIMPONG
38,545 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173