Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
I
Irakli Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I
Hello, I have a question. I purchased a speedy, big and impressive external SSD disk. Do you reckon BIAB will function well provided I install it with all the realtracks on this external drive? Besides, will BIAB operate on other computers once I connect the SSD with BIAB already installed? In other words, is it achievable to turn BIAB into a portable program on SSD?

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, Yes.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Online Content
Expert
It will need to be activated on any computer on which you run it and you can have up to three concurrent activations. If you want to use on further machines than that, you will need to deactivate an earlier activation to do so.

Edit: Activations are managed via the Help menu.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 11/22/23 08:00 AM. Reason: addendum.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Gordon is correct. Install onto each of three computers using the minimal install option, that says the RealTracks etc. will be on the external drive.

Another trick I use is, in Windows, rename the BIAB USB drive to the same high drive letter on each machine (ex. I use drive R for RealTracks), so plugging in other devices doesn't bump up the drive letter. Otherwise, your drive is E sometimes, or F, or ... One reason I do this is to use SyncToy to back up any of my song files, and I never have to create new folder pairs to accommodate changing drive letters.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
If you go to a friends house and you both want to jam to Biab you can plug it into your friends PC and it will still work in 30 day trial mode before having to activate, and you won't be locked out if you have no internet to activate.

Veteran
Veteran
Good answers above. There's no reason that it should not operate for you in this way.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
I
Irakli Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I
Thanks to all

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
All excellent advice in this thread and I can vouch that it's accurate. I just wanted to mention that we introduced an SSD option for the UltraPAK this year, so it's now possible to purchase BIAB pre-installed on an external SSD! This option is available at checkout when purchasing the UltraPAK or UltraPAK+, and it should automatically prompt you.

I work here
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted by Simon - PG Music
it's now possible to purchase BIAB pre-installed on an external SSD!

Over the years, I’ve installed each new band in box over the existing version as well as any additional add-ons that I have purchased.
What happens to those add-ones if I choose to run band in the box from that external ssd ?

Last edited by pghboemike; 12/10/23 12:11 AM.

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I save every install EXE file.

If you did not, log in to your BIAB account (different from your Forum account) and everything you registered is there.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted by pghboemike
Over the years, I’ve installed each new band in box over the existing version as well as any additional add-ons that I have purchased.
What happens to those add-ones if I choose to run band in the box from that external ssd ?
When we ship out hard drives or SSD's, these contain only the new BIAB version you purchased. Any add-ons, past or present, are a download only.

As Matt mentioned, you should be able to log into your account and download your past add-ons. If for some reason you can't find the downloads there, feel free to contact us and we'll look into it.

I work here
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I pretty much have every installation media archived back to BiaB-12. But the most recent I got was BiaB-2019, and I bought it on the external USB drive. How do I use that External USB Drive, transfer ALL of RealTracks and historical stuff to it, and combine it all on the external drive? (Or, do I need to take one of my reformatted USB 1TB drives from a previous laptop and somehow reinstall it on to that drive and basically start over? If I'm reading Simon's previous reponse correctly, I CAN combine all of my stuff on that 2019 HardDrive install disk?

Sorry to be such a luddite. I can usually figure these things out. But I just got a new gaming laptop and it is scary-fast and 32GB memory, but the C:\ drive is an SSD, and I want to run BiaB from that 2019 USB harddrive if it's possible. Can I just copy the BB\ folder from my old laptop onto the 2019-Install drive, and it will find all of the styles from the previous installs when the StyleManager updates?

LJ

Last edited by LadyJazzer; 12/13/23 01:02 PM. Reason: expand on question

"You play pretty good--for a girl."
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes, in theory you can combine all your existing material by copying it to another location where BIAB is installed. Make sure whatever copying software you use will overwrite only older dated files.

I do this every year.

HOWEVER in BIAB 2018 they substantially changed the folder organization. If you are trying to recover files from 2017 or earlier onto a drive with BIAB 2018 or later, it won’t work directly. I urge caution and suggest you call PG Music Support for guidance how to proceed. Be prepared to detail everything you have and exactly what you want to do.

While I and several other fellow users have the experience and skill to do this, we cannot take on the responsibility of guiding you here in case something goes wrong.

ps ever run into Steve Dillard in San Diego? Great trumpet player.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks! I will contact them.

"You play pretty good--for a girl."
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
Yes, in theory you can combine all your existing material by copying it to another location where BIAB is installed. Make sure whatever copying software you use will overwrite only older dated files.

I do this every year.

HOWEVER in BIAB 2018 they substantially changed the folder organization. If you are trying to recover files from 2017 or earlier onto a drive with BIAB 2018 or later, it won’t work directly. I urge caution and suggest you call PG Music Support for guidance how to proceed. Be prepared to detail everything you have and exactly what you want to do.

While I and several other fellow users have the experience and skill to do this, we cannot take on the responsibility of guiding you here in case something goes wrong.

Yes!

The process is similar—nut not identical—for the Mac.

I save every install EXE file.

If you did not, log in to your BIAB account (different from your Forum account) and everything you registered is there.

Some versions only ship on external media. Audiophile ships on an HDD. Once received, I install everything into my Mac — Drums and Real Tracks are about 1.5TB so they go to a TB3 SSD*. I have to remember to reinstall all of my Extras packs both onto my computer and again onto the drive that I got from PGMusic. Same thing with Updates—both the Mac and HDD. Since I do everything twice, I find it faster to just run the individual installers than use the Install Manager though that is getting better.

*Is this really necessary? Not really as the overall speed and loading from the HDD is reasonably fast; my iMac Pro and Mac Studio are a lot faster, no denying that. There are reasons I prefer to do it this way, however. First is that I dislike the noise from the HDD. It's easier and faster for Time Machine & Backblaze to back it all up. I like having everything up to date on the HDD in case I ever had to restore from it.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
That's helpful to know that the advice applies generally to the Mac version also. The small SSD drive mentioned above that they are shipping now is only for the Windows version, since BIAB 2024 for Mac has not yet been released.

But that points out that posters in THIS forum should identify whether they are working on a Mac or a Windows machine, since this tech-topics forum does not differentiate. For other questions it may make a difference in the answer.

Expert
Expert
That's helpful to know that the advice applies generally to the Mac version also. The small SSD drive mentioned above that they are shipping now is only for the Windows version, since BIAB 2024 for Mac has not yet been released.

Not having seen it yet, I'll assume it's one of those inexpensive USB 3 flash drives that are now available up to 2TB. I've tested a few and they're slower than SATA SSDs but about the same speed as the HDDs. These should save a fortune on shipping costs and be silent (which checks one of my boxes). With shelf space at a premium in my studio, I just sent seven of those 2TB HDDs to eWaste recycling a few weeks ago — otherwise, I can't give them away here in the Silicon Valley.

But that points out that posters in THIS forum should identify whether they are working on a Mac or a Windows machine, since this tech-topics forum does not differentiate. For other questions it may make a difference in the answer.

Amen!

Everyone should add their essentials to their signature and keep it up to date as Matt and I do. No one needs to guess your setup this way.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
Not having seen it yet, I'll assume it's one of those inexpensive USB 3 flash drives that are now available up to 2TB. I've tested a few and they're slower than SATA SSDs but about the same speed as the HDDs.
Current drives are USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 over USB-C, up to 1500MB/sec. My laptop was able to sustain about 1000MB/sec, though it only has USB 3.2 Gen 2x1. WAY faster than SATA, which would top out around 450MB/sec.

Everyone should add their essentials to their signature and keep it up to date as Matt and I do. No one needs to guess your setup this way.
Mine's up to date wink

I work here
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted by Simon - PG Music
Not having seen it yet, I'll assume it's one of those inexpensive USB 3 flash drives that are now available up to 2TB. I've tested a few and they're slower than SATA SSDs but about the same speed as the HDDs.
Current drives are USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 over USB-C, up to 1500MB/sec. My laptop was able to sustain about 1000MB/sec, though it only has USB 3.2 Gen 2x1. WAY faster than SATA, which would top out around 450MB/sec.

Mine's up to date wink
Good info on speed.

About your signature, you're a funny guy. Since you have no details, I assume you have access to everything!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,412
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.