Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Over in the "wishlist" forum, a thread has been discussing the fact that, when you select "lead sheet" while in the notation window, the chord sheet opens instead. P. Gannon, back in March, attributed this to the program allowing only one window at a time to be open. This appears to completely miss the point, since the chord window isn't "another" window, it's just the WRONG window. Several other users have chimed in, having exactly the same problem as me, dating all the way back to the 2023 version (I have 2024), and no additional response has been forthcoming to this older thread from PG, so I'm starting this new one in hopes of getting the attention of the right person.
Just to be clear, what I'm seeing isn't the inability to have BOTH the lead sheet and notation windows open at once: It's that the lead sheet window DOES NOT WORK. I see no way of opening it from anywhere in the program. If there was a way of first closing the notation window, then opening the lead sheet window, I could live with that. That's not the case. What we have is that the recent updates have BROKEN a feature that has worked fine for years! Please fix it!!

Veteran
Veteran
Can you show us what you expect to see? Cause the Lead Sheet link is there.
[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
This is the problem I originally reported:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=737239

When opening the Lead Sheet, the main screen always changes to the Chord Chart. The Notation Window always changes to the Chord Chart when the Lead Sheet window is opened, and needs to be opened again - every time. I also proposed a simple workaround that would only take minutes to implement.

The Lead Sheet window is non-modal, so it doesn't make sense to close the Notation window and display the Chord Chart in the background.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Enclosed are screen shots. temp1.jpg shows the notation window, just before I press the green lead sheet button shown with the red arrow. temp2.jpg shows what happens after I hit that button: it switches, not to lead sheet, but to chord window. If i then hit the green lead sheet button there, shown with the red arrow, nothing at all happens.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
temp1.JPG (198.3 KB, 128 downloads)
temp2.JPG (201.68 KB, 128 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Oh wow, I see what is happening.

1) When you are on the notation window (or any other window), and you press "Leadsheet Window" it opens up the "Leadsheet Window" as a floating window over a specific window. It is different depending on what primary window is open. In this case, it defines the "Chord Sheet" Window as primary. In my case, that floating leadsheet window appears on a second monitor with Chord Sheet as primary window on the other monitor.

So it is likely in your case that the same action at your end is putting the floating Leadsheet somewhere that you can't see it. Behind the chord sheet? Do you have two monitors? Where is it hidding on your screens??

By the way, the primary window is not always the Chord Sheet (as we have seen in this example). It depends on what window is primary when you hit the Lead Sheet button.

I do also believe we have had this whole discussion here in the forum in the not too distant past.

Dan

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
I suspect Peter didn't clearly understand the highlighted issue from the original post.

There is no consistent outcome when showing the Lead Sheet. The current view on the main form may or may not change.

• If Notation is displaying and the Lead Sheet is selected, the Notation view changes to Chord Chart
  • If Tracks View is displaying and the Lead Sheet is selected, Tracks View remains displayed.
  • If Piano Roll is displaying and the Lead Sheet is selected, the Piano Roll changes to a 'Blank Screen'? crazy
  • If the ACW View is displaying and the Lead Sheet is selected, ACW View remains displayed.

This is really sloppy and inconsistent in the way it is currently working.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Are you going got report his as a bug? wink

Studio One (latest version), Win 11 23H2 , i9 -10940X 3.3 GHz, 32GB Mem, a 4K 40" monitor, PreSonus Studio Live III Console as interface/controller. secondarily test on Reaper, Cakewalk, and S1 on Surface Pro 3 Win 10 (latest versions).
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by DrDan
I do also believe we have had this whole discussion here in the forum in the not too distant past.
Yes, and Peter replied that it was working as intended. If the way it works is the intended operation, I've got a real problem with that.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by jpettit
I don't know if it's a bug, but it's certainly totally inconsistent in its operation.
I guess it's worth reporting as a bug. It would be hard to argue that it's working properly.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
Originally Posted by jpettit
I don't know if it's a bug, but it's certainly totally inconsistent in its operation.
I guess it's worth reporting as a bug. It would be hard to argue that it's working properly.

Ya we have been down this road before. It is not a bug, it is only an awkward/unexpected process.
And that includes the missing/hidden floating Leadsheet. I believe we concluded in the past that it is there, but is hidden either on a second monitor or behind a stationary window. I would still like to hear from the OP on this since I think this is may be a bigger problem then just an awkward process.

Veteran
Veteran
It's 'Buggy' for sure, but I've added it to the Spreadsheet as a Workflow issue.

J
PG Music Developer
PG Music Developer
J
In BB, it's normal/expected for the notation window to be closed (changed to chord chart) when the Lead Sheet is open. What seems unusual is that if the Piano Roll is the current window, and then you select the Lead Sheet, the Piano Roll window disappears. Seems to me that the Piano Roll should be able to stay rather than be closed. (and if you click on the Piano Roll again after the Lead Sheet is opened, then it reappears).

If Lead Sheet isn't showing up at all, then maybe there was a 2nd monitor turned on previously but no longer present? Maybe return to Options - Return to factory defaults would restore it back to showing up again?

Last edited by Jeff Yankauer; 01/04/24 10:44 PM.

Jeff Yankauer
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Jeff Yankauer
In BB, it's normal/expected for the notation window to be closed (changed to chord chart) when the Lead Sheet is open. What seems unusual is that if the Piano Roll is the current window, and then you select the Lead Sheet, the Piano Roll window disappears. Seems to me that the Piano Roll should be able to stay rather than be closed. (and if you click on the Piano Roll again after the Lead Sheet is opened, then it reappears).

If Lead Sheet isn't showing up at all, then maybe there was a 2nd monitor turned on previously but no longer present? Maybe return to Options - Return to factory defaults would restore it back to showing up again?

Thanks Jeff for chiming in. The issue is that this is totally inconsistent. There is no second monitor available on my system.

Why close the Notation Window after the Lead Sheet launches? (Yes, it closes after the Lead Sheet has already been displayed).
Why can the ACW and Tracks Window stay and not the Notation display?
Why does the Piano Roll disappear when the Lead Sheet is selected?

I want to call this operation a bug but another has already disagreed. Buggy? Yes, absolutely.

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
I have a second monitor set up, but lead sheet is not showing up there. If lead sheet is hiding behind another window, how do I bring it to the top?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Steve2777
I have a second monitor set up, but lead sheet is not showing up there. If lead sheet is hiding behind another window, how do I bring it to the top?
I really don't think it's related to a second monitor availability issue. It's now been highlighted elsewhere with several descriptive examples. Let us hope that they consolidate this into a sensibly conforming operation, and provide a workable patch soon.

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hope so. I have used pre - 2023 versions for over 10 years, and whenever I hit the lead sheet button, lo and behold the lead sheet came up. For PG to say the new version is working as intended (without telling us how to make the lead sheet appear), is nonsense, unless they INTENDED to break the lead sheet feature.

Veteran
Veteran
Steve,
I am still struggling to reproduce what you have reported. No question there is inconsistancy in the programing regarding how the LeadSheet opens dependent on what prior screens you have open at the time. AT has pointed this out to the developers including Jeff who has weighted in. This is on the list!

But no one has indicated they can reproduced what you claim as "LeadSheet does not open". On my end it always opens. So I am left to believe the issue is at your end.
Please be sure you have hit the "return to factory settings" button so we have a baseline configuration.

I will shortly put together a video of it "working" at my end and perhaps you will see something which helps.

Hang in there...

Dan

Veteran
Veteran
Sorry, this is just a last ditch effort from my user position.

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Dan: EUREKA! That did the trick! I selected return everything to factory settings, and lead sheet now comes right up! I know several other people were complaining of the same problem, so hopefully they will see your post as well.

Thanks, Dan for your help !!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,753
Posts737,050
Members38,570
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
trombonedad, Vincent Kirk, Rupert Rowen, Luke O’Neil, Gaia Stark
38,569 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183