Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Songwriting
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Has anyone on this forum used chatgpt to help them write lyrics? Does this method work very well?

Music is an expression that is a universal language, Never criticize anybody to harshly. They need time to grow but when they do, they do. Always be kind in what you say and do because the man upstairs is watching.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by trapper456
Has anyone on this forum used chatgpt to help them write lyrics? Does this method work very well?

Many threads on this.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
It's my understanding that the U.S. copyright office has ruled that lyrics generated by AI are not eligible for copyright.

There are a number of committees currently looking at AI as it pertains to intellectual property (I'm on one of them) and at this point it's a moving target. I suspect that some sort of compromise will be reached but personally I'd be cautious about using it at this point in time if you're planning on using your works commercially.

Songwriting
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by trapper456
It can help, but it tends (IMHO) to be a bit 'clunky' and generally needs work.

In addition to Roger's comments, as AI has been trained on a great deal of data from many sources, some of which, some are already suggesting has already infringed copyrights, there might also be a risk of being accused of plagiarism by using AI lyrics.

Caveat emptor.

Joanne Cooper who is on these fora has produced an App, "LyricLab" which has had a number of positive responses.

I've done the tiniest bit of exploring with AI lyrics. The English lyrics were better than I'd expected, though still pretty trite. My attempts at Proto-Indo-European lyrics appear to yield a quite high percentage "it's making this up" output. Perhaps that was inevitable laugh

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by Roger Brown
It's my understanding that the U.S. copyright office has ruled that lyrics generated by AI are not eligible for copyright.

It was upheld in the District Court last August and SCOTUS ruled Dec. 20. 2023 that AI cannot hold a patent.

Without that ruling, the WGO (writers') strike probably would still be ongoing. Producers cannot raise money on works that they can't own.

There are a number of committees currently looking at AI as it pertains to intellectual property (I'm on one of them) and at this point it's a moving target. I suspect that some sort of compromise will be reached but personally I'd be cautious about using it at this point in time if you're planning on using your works commercially.

Don't hold your breath. Congress is trying to figure out how to regulate AI without running afoul of the "major questions doctrine". We're going to hear a lot about that when the decision in the Chevron case comes down which should be very soon.

In any case, AI generated lyrics cannot rise above mediocrity since it "averages" everything. Mediocre would be a vast improvement over the longwinded AI generated blather that everyone is posting online.

There is good news, however. You can use AI to generate song and story ideas and it's great for that—get pointed in directions that you would never consider otherwise. I've used it to shorten the research time on three projects that I've been putting off for decades (fact checking still must be done since AI doesn't know what it gets wrong). Since one has never been able to copyright an idea, this is not only ok but encouraged. I took a great course on this recently and learned quite a lot.

The actual copyrightable Work Product requires that an Author roll up his/her sleeves and get busy.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
As mentioned by Gordon (thanks) I have a ai app that will assist with generating lyrics and chords using a few prompts or even a picture. It also integrates with Band-in-a-box.
You can also use a free version.
Check it out here www.lyriclab.net

Edited to add: I really cannot see how ai assisted songs cannot be copyrighted. Even if you try, you cannot get the ai engine to generate the same song twice. How would the lawyers know what was generated and what was not? What happens if you change one or two words? What if you just use it for inspiration? Personally, I think people who worry about copyright on ai assisted lyrics have not tried it for themselves.

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 01/24/24 02:24 AM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
AI generation is here to stay and will only get better with time.
I've also created an ai generator for BIAB / SynthesizerV here: SongBrain

As far as copyrighting AI generated material. Who is to know. Maybe you copyright your prompt.

If AI does produce something that is too close to an existing copyrighted piece, Who do they go after? Can't have it both ways smile

Mike.

SongBrain - AI Generator
Shiny Emeralds - Latest Single

Win 10 Home 64bit - Ryzen7 3700x / 32Gb
BIAB / RB 2024 For Windows
EWQL Composer Cloud X
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I don't think there is a problem with using AI to generate ideas, which I think is all anyone is really talking about, because I can't think of a single soul who would use any of the AI lyrics that I've seen generated without altering them significantly before trying to use them in any song.

You would just have to be really lame to use AI lyrics as they are.

But as an idea generator it's great.

I once spent a wonderful day with a Nashville Hall of famer and he talked about his songwriting process. He said that every Saturday him and his buddy would go to the record store and just spend the entire day flipping through records and looking at the titles of songs to get ideas that they would jot down in a notebook, and then they would take them back home and get drunk and piece together songs from the various ideas that they had written down from looking at the backs of albums.

It seems to me that using an AI generator tool is the same sort of thing.

You just come up with a bunch of stuff and then you get drunk and see what you can do with it.

🙂

I'm joking about the getting drunk part but you know what I mean.

Another thing is this: I've always noticed that the best song ideas that I've ever had are the ones that just pop into my head when I'm driving down the road and come out of nowhere, and I better have my phone available so I can turn on the tape recorder app and capture it or else those lyrics and the tune as well are gone forever.

I've never had AI do that for me so I'm not worried about AI.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by JoanneCooper
I really cannot see how ai assisted songs cannot be copyrighted.
Short answer: US copyright can only be given to works produced by humans.

The judge in the case ruled that copyright has never been granted to work that was “absent any guiding human hand,” and that “human authorship is a bedrock requirement of copyright.”

There are a number of points the judge did not choose to explore.

It might help to consider what copyright is. It creates a time-limited "right" to control who can create a copy of something. After some time, the copyright expires and the work falls into the public domain.

That copyright exists for the same reason that patents do - to encourage people to create works by allowing them a time-limited monopoly on that work.

Obviously, copyright or lack of copyright doesn't matter to an AI.

But let's take this a step further, and imagine that the court did rule that the AI had authored an original work. Since the copyright would belong to the creator of the work, what then?

The AI has no other legal rights, and can't enter into legal contracts. That rules out this being a "work for hire".

This means that the AI cannot transfer the copyright.

So if an AI work could be copyrighted, the work would remain uncopyable until it fell into the public domain.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I really cannot see how ai assisted songs cannot be copyrighted. .

No one has said that. The Librarian of Congress has ruled that AI generated songs cannot and the courts have backed her up. David's explanation is pretty good.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by David Snyder
I don't think there is a problem with using AI to generate ideas, which I think is all anyone is really talking about, because I can't think of a single soul who would use any of the AI lyrics that I've seen generated without altering them significantly before trying to use them in any song.

You would just have to be really lame to use AI lyrics as they are.

Wow, you are an optimist.

I get dragged to open mics now and then. People are singing that crap.

Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
“The judge in the case ruled that copyright has never been granted to work that was “absent any guiding human hand,” and that “human authorship is a bedrock requirement of copyright.”

David, the work being referred to in this article is a picture. I can understand how a picture (or a song generated with ai singers using ai generated lyrics) could be more difficult to copyright (I would contest that there was still some human guiding hand in the prompt used to generate the work?)

Ai generated lyrics are just text in a notepad and can easily be slightly modified or completely rewritten before being turned into a song. The human hand is certainly involved in the creation of the melody.

I would wonder why anybody would try to copyright ai generated lyrics.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
David, the work being referred to in this article is a picture. I can understand how a picture (or a song generated with ai singers using ai generated lyrics) could be more difficult to copyright (I would contest that there was still some human guiding hand in the prompt used to generate the work?)
That's a question that wasn't addressed, as the scope of the ruling was limited to a finding of law whether or not an AI could hold a copyright.

You're suggesting that the inputs to an AI by a human give the human some ownership of the copyright of the output. But even if a prompt is hyper-specific, I can think of two impediments.

First, the idea expressed in the prompt is unlikely to express an "original" idea. For example, A happy couple walking through a rose garden on a sunny day is enough to generate an image or song, but the idea expressed in the prompt is unlikely to be an expression that's original enough to be considered copyrightable.

Second, the AI can churn out dozens of songs with this prompt, each one different. That would show that although the work was guided by a specific prompt, the part that makes the work "original" comes from the AI, not the human. And the court has ruled that an AI can't be assigned a copyright.

But questions along these lines will no doubt be litigated in the future.

Ai generated lyrics are just text in a notepad and can easily be slightly modified or completely rewritten before being turned into a song. The human hand is certainly involved in the creation of the melody.
I suspect the question turns on how transformative the human's input was.

I would wonder why anybody would try to copyright ai generated lyrics.
I can only think of two motivations:
  • To monetize the lyric; and
  • To prevent other people from using the lyric

Last edited by dcuny; 01/26/24 11:13 AM. Reason: Fixed typo in closing list tag.

-- David Cuny

Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
“I really cannot see how ai assisted songs cannot be copyrighted”
Mike Halloran
“No one has said that. The Librarian of Congress has ruled that AI generated songs cannot and the courts have backed her up. David's explanation is pretty good.”

Yes but the OP asked if anybody had tried ChatGPT to generate lyrics and was immediately shut down by the copyright police. The OP wasn't discussing ai generated songs but rather ai generated lyrics. Ai is just a tool. Same as BIAB is a tool. Use it, don’t use it but don’t shoot down those who do.

I find it a bit odd that people who use machines to assist with the generation of music are so against using machines to help generate lyrics.

Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
David said
“I can only think of two motivations:[list][*]To monetize the lyric; and [*]To prevent other people from using the lyric[/list[“

1. Wow! If there is a way to monetize these lyrics then let me IN!

2. Why anybody would use somebody else’s ai generated lyrics when they can just as easily do it themselves is beyond me.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I find it a bit odd that people who use machines to assist with the generation of music are so against using machines to help generate lyrics.

This is a very good point. I can have BiaB completely generate a song, chords and leads, and I can copyright it as my work, right? But if I have a synth voice sing lyrics completely generated by AI added to the BiaB generated song I can't? If these are true it is quite the paradox.

{edit} Also we must understand that each country has their own copyright laws and they may or may not be identical.

Last edited by MarioD; 01/25/24 07:10 AM.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Yes but the OP asked if anybody had tried ChatGPT to generate lyrics and was immediately shut down by the copyright police. The OP wasn't discussing ai generated songs but rather ai generated lyrics. Ai is just a tool. Same as BIAB is a tool. Use it, don’t use it but don’t shoot down those who do.

First of all, thanks for making a free version of your lyrics program. smile

I spent some time playing around with it. The results were technically impressive. But I found that it wasn't really helpful for me to spark ideas. YMMV.

As for BiaB vs. AI, the issue is the ethics of how the source material was obtained.

All the material used in creating BiaB materials was done with full consent of the people who supplied the music, who knew what it was going to be used for, and they were compensated for it.

That's not the case with programs like ChatGPT, where the AI was trained on material that in many cases was used not only without consent, but was used obtained illegally and without license. As a result, people are suing for illegally using their works.

-- David Cuny

Songwriting
Expert
Online Content
Expert
My favorite BiaB forum thread ever. Really appreciate the many well-formed points of view and the time it takes to post them. Important topic for sure...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
Songwriting
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
“I really cannot see how ai assisted songs cannot be copyrighted”
Mike Halloran
“No one has said that. The Librarian of Congress has ruled that AI generated songs cannot and the courts have backed her up. David's explanation is pretty good.”

Notwithstanding the strawman about some fictitious "copyright police," how would such non-existent copyright police "shut down" somebody over something that's not copyrightable in the first place?

Another thing you and others are missing is that no one is complaining about people using "machines" to assist in composing music or lyrics. That's another strawman argument. The problem many have is with people using AI tools to do the work for them.

You know as well as anyone else here that using something like BIAB to help you compose a song and getting some AI tool to do it for you are not even close to being the same thing. You know as well as anyone else here that in order to get anything good out of BIAB it takes a lot of work and that the more work you put into it the better the finished product is going to be.

You also seem to have glossed over the whole thrust of this thread which is gone on off on two different forks: one of which is that AI generated work is not copyrightable, and that's pretty much sent in stone at this point. The other is that AI generated content tends to be lackluster at best and that it's real value is as an idea generator but in order to get anything of quality, and actual person has to take that output and shape it into something by the touch of a human hand.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
@David. Thanks for giving it a try. I do realise it is not for everyone (just as Band-in-box is not for everyone).

@Bryron. Have you tried the tool yet? You may find something useful there. (Or not, and that’s okay).

Almost everyone I know struggles with different aspects of making music. Some struggle with singing, some struggle with playing an instrument, some struggle with theory, some battle with performing live. Some people will give up, others will persevere and others will use tools at their disposal to get through it.

I do not battle with band- in-a-box as I use it in a very simple way. I do struggle with writing good lyrics as well as getting ideas. So, when chat gpt came out I was all over it like a rash.

It is a tool. No more no less. Why do fellow musicians continue to judge people who use different tools (or use them in a different way) or produce different types of music to what we like?

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 01/26/24 02:22 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,641
Posts735,363
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 97
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.