Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#802536 03/04/24 03:22 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Has anyone else had this problem ? The tips in the flash messages in the bottom right corner are total jibberish and unreadable. All other flash messages are perfectly ok, it's only the tips.
I had this problem in version 2020 and contacted support about it, but never got it solved. Now I upgraded to 2023, hoping this would be a thing of the past, but unfortunately it is still there.
Any help would be appreciated. I have been looking for a way to switch the tips off completely, but could not find such a setting.
regards,
Martin

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 16.25.52.png (887.46 KB, 19 downloads)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Martin,

I don't recall seeing this issue before..

A) If you go to the Help menu | Utilities | Display flash messages, this will show you a log of recent messages. Do you see gibberish there?

B) What language is your OS?

C) Are you using the English, Italian, German, or French version of Band-in-a-Box?

D) Which specific build of Band-in-a-Box do you have?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. I will put my answers in between the quotes.

A) If you go to the Help menu | Utilities | Display flash messages, this will show you a log of recent messages. Do you see gibberish there?

Yes, all the lines with tips are gibberish: **** New Session started at : 3-3-24 16:32:33
- Tip: ˛{˝ÿ˛q˝∆˛`˝Ø˛M˝ê˛<˝v˛.˝i˛ ˝a˛˝X˛‚¸O˛—¸A˛Ã¸1˛ø¸&˛≠¸&˛£¸4˛•¸B˛¶¸B˛ö¸9˛ã¸-˛¸˛n¸˝˝^¸Ë˝Z¸‰˝Z¸Ú˝Y¸˛X¸ ˛Q¸ı˝P¸fi˝]¸‘˝b¸◊˝[¸·˝R¸Â˝J¸Ê˝B¸È˝H¸‚˝V¸—˝a¸√˝b¸∏˝W¸Ø˝F¸∑˝E¸ƒ˝W¸≈˝g¸º˝n¸™˝s¸ò˝n¸ô˝b¸•˝[¸™˝^¸≠˝g¸¨˝p¸ú˝u¸ã˝z¸Ü˝¸à˝Ç¸è˝Ö¸î˝ä¸é˝ê¸Ç˝ [3-3-24 16:25:49]

B) What language is your OS?

English

C) Are you using the English, Italian, German, or French version of Band-in-a-Box?

English

D) Which specific build of Band-in-a-Box do you have?

Band-in-a-Box® for Macintosh
Version 2023 (707)
64 bit application

As mentioned earlier, this gibberisch started in version 2021. I contacted support about it, but no solution was provided.

Hope you can help,
kind regards,
Martin

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Is there a specific song file you could send that produces one of these tips when you play it?

Could you please try factory settings:
1. Close Band-in-a-Box.
2. Put a file called safemode.txt in the Band-in-a-Box "Preferences" folder.
3. Open Band-in-a-Box - splash screen should have red text "Safe mode" on it, and that confirms the name and location of the text file is correct.
4. See if the gibberish still appears in the flash messages.

Afterwards you can delete the file.

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 03/05/24 03:29 PM.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Is there any way to generate a situation in which a tip would be issued ? It takes a lot of time and guessing to produce a tip and be able to check if it is gibberish.

I already tried several times to return to factory default and/or removing all files from the preferences folder, does not change anything so far. But I will put the safemode.txt in and have a go again.

UPDATE
I ran BIAB in safe mode and the same gibberish came up, I will paste the session below.
I wanted to attach the song as well, but I am not allowed to attach anything else than images.

- Tip: ˇ|Xˇ•˝
˛
eÃπ˛≈˝0óˇ≈˛(˛6g_ˇ+˛w7ˇ\ ˇùˇÚï˛¥b˛éˇÒÌ˝•h˛¥õˇˇ  ∞ô~˛oÙ˛>÷ˇGˇfl˛Ñˇ ˛ûˇ9¡ï*˛í˝âïˇib·ˇ\”˛4ß„F¨ˇ»eˇ;5ˇCMuJˇå8ˇåÅÁÕˇh.ˇ∫ ¸ˇr⡶jZ≈ê¿{0Ú˛¶i˛ˇ«“ˇu7ˇr [6-3-24 16:36:56]
- Tip: ˇJˇ€˙‚˝–¸é˛¶ÇW5B¸ô˛•˚ ˚òÚ–‰˛´˛fiı"˝:˚¯WÌÒ3â˘1r:ˇw *˛fiıƒ¸¡ÙŸŒÊ˝U˛«˛;¸|∂\q˜¯˚Åfl˙q†µ˛[˝Ù˝fl˙≤ˇ$ §ˇ’Ùf˙˚ˆè¸õDˇ®l¸\˘'tÒûˇõ˝ ¸ò8ù™mˇ5˛ä˚∑ˇ˚)˚ˇ¸5´˜Z˘I˛Å˚«˚›*¸±´ [6-3-24 16:28:09]
- Auditioning MIDI style (first MIDI Drums, then RealDrums): /Volumes/Macintosh HD2/Applications/Band-in-a-Box/RealTracks/Data/Style Demos Audio/=TEXMETL.m4a and then http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/=TEXMETL_RD.m4a. Tip: Press > button to toggle between MIDI and RealDrums. [6-3-24 16:27:59]
- Auditioning style: /Volumes/Macintosh HD2/Applications/Band-in-a-Box/RealTracks/Data/Style Demos Audio/_12STACM.m4a [6-3-24 16:27:32]
- Auditioning MIDI style (first MIDI Drums, then RealDrums): http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/ZZETHNIC.m4a and then http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/ZZETHNIC_RD.m4a. Tip: Press > button to toggle between MIDI and RealDrums. [6-3-24 16:26:46]
- Auditioning MIDI style (first MIDI Drums, then RealDrums): http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/ZZCHACHA.m4a and then http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/ZZCHACHA_RD.m4a. Tip: Press > button to toggle between MIDI and RealDrums. [6-3-24 15:45:56]
- Time to scan unknown VST plugins = 0 ms [6-3-24 15:45:24]
- Time to scan known VST plugins = 1 ms [6-3-24 15:45:24]
- Time to scan AU plugins = 15 ms [6-3-24 15:45:24]
- Time to scan ALL plugins = 16 ms [6-3-24 15:45:24]
- Scanning for plugins... [6-3-24 15:45:24]
- TMacAudioInput.StartInputThread: success [6-3-24 15:45:24]
- TMacAudioInput.Init: input stream flags adjusted 9 [6-3-24 15:45:24]
- TMacAudioInput.Init: input stream sample rate 44100 [6-3-24 15:45:24]
- TMacAudioInput.Init: input stream bits 32 [6-3-24 15:45:24]
- TMacAudioInput.Init: input stream flags 9 [6-3-24 15:45:24]
- Bootup was slower this session only, because RealTracks and RealDrums lists needed to be rebuilt [6-3-24 15:45:23]
- Bootup time in millseconds =13,061 [6-3-24 15:45:23]
- Bootup is slower, this session only, due to running this: "Rebuilding list of RealTracks Parents" [6-3-24 15:45:20]
- Bootup is slower, this session only, due to running this: "Updating list of RealTracks" [6-3-24 15:45:18]
- macOS version 10.14.7 [6-3-24 15:45:17]
**** New Session started at : 6-3-24 15:45:17

Last edited by Martin Klein; 03/06/24 08:45 AM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Is there any way to generate a situation in which a tip would be issued ?

One thing you can do is to open the StylePicker and load in the song demo for Z3BOSSA. When you press play it should issue a tip that there is a better style available.

You can send the file via support@pgmusic.com referencing this thread, if you find one that reliably produces the garbled tip. Maybe there is an encoding problem with one of the messages, but I haven't found it yet. I do see some bad characters in my flash message log, so that may be related. Will do further testing.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Loading Z3BOSSA demo song does not generate a TIP, it generates a green flash message, those are never garbled.

Trying this suggestion did regenerate another problem I mentioned earlier. I have a song with an overall real tracks style, I change the overall style to a midi style and I am left with only the drum track playing, the other tracks are set to silence and still show up green. I will attach the screenshots. This one is reliably reproducable, but maybe this one is also a known bug ?

best wishes,
Martin

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 17.38.01.png (690.01 KB, 5 downloads)
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 17.38.26.png (657.2 KB, 7 downloads)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This is the same thing we were talking about in the other thread - since you have a style change to a RealStyle, the tracks are RealTracks. If the first style has MIDI tracks they will just be silent, since a single track can't contain both a MIDI track and an audio track.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Maybe I did not make it clear: I open a new song, it opens with a realtracks style, I try to change the style to midi and it does not (always) work. This time I am not trying to change the style inside a track, I am changing the overall style of the song, it needs to change the tracks to accomodate the new overall style, but it doesn't. Wouldn't it be very strange if I had to create a new song to be able to pick another overall style.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
In your screenshot, there is a style change at bar 9. That would be the cause of it. If you have a song with a single style in it, you would not see this behaviour, so I don't know what's going on in that case. Perhaps you could email a song example to support for us to test...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I see, thanks, my mistake. I can't change the overall style if somewhere in the bar settings I have a style change. Forgive me, but this behaviour is far from intuitive and again no warning of any kind gets issued (well, except that it does not work and looks weird of course). Seems to me that an awful lot is left to the user to figure out. I may have missed it, but I haven't been able to find any mention about not mixing up loops/mid/realtrack styles in the manual. Don't get me wrong, I love biab and have been using it for a long time now (maybe I am just getting too old), but I can't help getting the feeling I am kind of beta testing here...
And since I reported the garbled tips in version 2021 and now run into the same thing in version 2023, I am also starting to wonder if I will have to buy the next upgrade to get a fix...?

Last edited by Martin Klein; 03/10/24 02:03 AM.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Is there any news about the garbled tips yet ?
thanks,
Martin

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
We need to find a way to duplicate that problem. For now, you can ignore the garbled messages. I think they are probably just spurious, and not important.

Since it seems that you see it quite frequently, it would be super helpful if you could send us a couple of files next time it happens:
- the Band-in-a-Box song file (e.g. .sgu) that you were loading or generating.
- the intrface.bbw file from the Band-in-a-Box/Preferences folder (or even the entire Preferences folder)
- the FlashMessageLog.txt file from the Band-in-a-Box/Data folder.
Zip those files up and email to support@pgmusic.com, referencing this forum thread.

That might get us closer to an answer.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
They pop up now and then, of course I can ignore them, actually I would love a switch in preferences to turn the flash messages off alltogether. I will collect the files you need, but it would be much easier to do if I knew a way to force one to come up, any idea why and when they show ?
thanks,
Martin

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,521
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173