Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
I am taking the plunge and moving to Nashville next week. I like to write my lyrics using a program called Masterwriter which I will likely need to take with me from time to time for cowrites, etc. I will also be using my BIAB 2010 for basic demos and such. As a result, I am looking at purchasing a new laptop.

I currently use a Presonus Digital Audio input box w/firewire for my vocals and occasional guitar so I will obviously need at least one firewire port. Outside of that, do I need a special soundcard for the new computer or will it have whatever I need? My desktop computer doesn't having a special soundcard other than what is on the motherboard and I have been happy. I mostly use the realtracks though so I don't know if that matters. To be honest, I don't even know what a soundcard is or does. The less I have to drag around, the better so if things can be installed internally, that is better unless it doesn't sound as good.

As regards the computer itself, any caveats regarding brands or operating software? (FYI, I am a PC guy and have been using a desktop computer bought from a small computer store.) Any minimum hardware or software specs I should look for in regards to optimal functioning of BIAB/RB? I generally get the best I can afford, but there are so many options now that the same price point can get you a multitude of configurations.

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice.

Ricky

________
Songwriter-Artist
RickyHarris.com
E
Expert
Expert
E
Hey Ricky,

Good on ya moving to Nashville, many great musicians and a good vibe there. I lived in Brentwood for a while, I enjoyed my time there very much, although I was working in the IT field and didn't have the time for Music related projects.

I wanted to point out one thing that I saw on your post that made my alarms go off.

Regarding needing a Firewire port>You should know that as of late, no new models are being made using the Texas Instrument Firewire chipset. This is a problem, as it is known that non TI chipsets will give you pops, clicks and other "Issues" with your audio tracks. One possible workaround would be to purchase a Belkan Firewire Express card adaptor, which would give you 3 FW inputs.
Which brings up another related point>

It's been shown that sharing the FW buss on your computer can cause "issues" with your Digital Audio stream. So, for example if you are using a FW Hard Drive, AND a FW interface, they should NOT be used in the same hub, or adaptor.

The other point I'd like to make is that the USB 3 devices are just now coming and perhaps if you are willing to wait a month or two, you could get a machine that has USB 3. There are adaptors coming that will convert from Firewire to USB 3 also.

Hope this helps,
Ed

Veteran
Veteran
+1 for Ed's statement about using TI chipset with firewire devices.

As far as running BIAB, any new laptop for sale will run it. My little 1 GB Toshiba netbook is even fine. Having said that, we have deduced that Real Tracks generate faster with higher CPU speed, and secondarily, faster hard drive throughput, so those are the two places where I would concentrate.

Not to do with music, but spend a lot of time trying out the keyboard layouts and feel. They differ greatly and make a big difference in how much swearing you will have to do in the future. I chose Toshiba primarily for this reason. Your fingers and typing style may differ.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
"Higher CPU speed" and "faster drive throughput" - not sure exactly what those terms mean. What specs am I seeking? What are the mins I am seeking?

As for the firewire issue, I am cool with waiting to get the computer if it really matters. But in two months, will there be some other new thing I should then wait another couple months for?

With the current firewire issue or USB 3 deal, what is my best workaround? Belkan Firewire Express card adaptor? USB 3 adaptor? Buying a new digital interface? Are there laptops that have XLR plugs built in?

Thanks for your help!

Ricky

________
Songwriter-Artist
RickyHarris.com
E
Expert
Expert
E
Ricky, I can't speak for Matt, but I THINK he was talking about how fast the Processor is in your computer. 2ghz is going to be faster than 1ghz and so on. If you have the money and want a really fast machine, consider the new i7 laptops. Load times are super low. The faster Real Tracks/Real Drums load, the more you get done.

By "Faster Drive Throughput, I think Matt was talking about drive speed and type. Since you would want a drive with "fast" specs (low seek time, etc) you should look for a Hard Drive that has 7,200rpm. Why???.......because the drive is able to access data at a much faster rate. The down side is that you will need to use an external power supply. The other thing you should look for is a large cache buffer. Although 16mb is ok, 32mb is much better.

Again, IF you have the cash, you should look into getting a Solid State HD. These units are super fast, don't produce heat, and are now claiming 25-30 year data security specs. In fact, the OCX Vertex series has a 250mb per second read rate, 160-200mb per second write rate, and 25 year data cycle before failure. Even the fastest eSATA 10,000rpm units don't come close to that. Check out the Youtube videos of Laptops booting up with the latest SS HDs. Amazing. The caveat is the price. The 60GB Vertex is $200. I'm sure this will come down in time.

Last, you can wait to see about USB 3, try to get a Belkan TI FW chipset Express card, or change your interface. I just ordered the Echo Indigo Express card Interface, because all the reports I have are of very low latency, great drivers and converters. The down side is you can't record as there is no Mic input.
What I bought last month was the M-Audio Fast Track II USB. Very nice unit, I have no real complaints, works well with Windows 7. For $120, it's well worth the money!!!

Good luck, let us know which direction you are going and how things work out!
Ed

Veteran
Veteran
What he said. (Thanks, Ed.)

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
If you don't have the cash I can attest to the netbook thing. Mine has been great and if it died I'd get another rather than a bigger one. Unless you want to do a lot of gigs with a computer.

If you eyesight is bad don't buy one.

If you are impatient don't buy one. ( It does take 8 or so seconds longer to render all real tracks songs.

On the other hand we travel and it fits into the wife's purse and we can stop in the parking lot at Motel 6 and send the kids pictures of where we are and stay someplace else. (They have wi-fi...just do a drive by..!)

And if the Acer has only 1 gig and you have Windows 7 stick in an 8 gig memory stick and let it use that to speed things up, I have vista and can't do that but someone else might try it.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,753
Posts737,049
Members38,570
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
trombonedad, Vincent Kirk, Rupert Rowen, Luke O’Neil, Gaia Stark
38,569 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183