Go To
#70458 04/19/10 08:12 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
I generated a MIDI file from MacBIAB 2010 to be read by Sibelius 6 (Mac) but I am getting a message that the MIDI file is corrupt when I open the file on Sibelius 6. On the other hand, the MIDI file generated from PC BIAB 2008 can be read by Sibelius 6 (Mac). What kind of MIDI file generated by MacBIAB that cannot be read by Sibelius 6?

I am using MacBIAB 2010 crossed over from PC BIAB 2008, using IMac 3.06GHz just a couple of days ago.

M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
I just found out while generating some MIDI files that some other MIDI files generated by MacBIAB 2010 can be read by Sibelius 6. I am clueless?

Anyway, I contacted Sibelius Support Team and sent them two samples of MIDI files that are corrupt. They e-mailed me back and said that they suspect that there's a bug in BIAB that's causing some corruption in certain MIDI files that Sibelius can't work around, and said that, "I'll ask our developers to take a look at these files and we'll get back to you when we can."

Does anyone having this issue?

Flash back: After I finish with a tune or music, I usually generate a midi file to export to Sibelius 6 for more fine tuning of notes and to generate music scores and I have no issue with that with BIAB PC. In PC BIAB, there is an option on what MIDI file to generate, i.e., MIDI file type I or type 0. In MacBIAB 2010, there is no option and it just generates the MIDI file. When I open the MIDI file using a player, it does play but when I open it on Sibelius 6, it gives me a message that the file is corrupt. According to PGTeam, MacBIAB generates type 1 MIDI file which is a standard, multitrack file.

M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Update: RE: Corrupt MIDI files

I just got a reply from Avid (Sibelius) lead developer and Senior Product Manager that say, "It definitely looks like a bug in Band In A Box's MIDI export functionality, which you should report to PG Music. Furthermore that, these files are in a corrupt format. I've run them through Midifix (the
GNMidi program should also fix them up --
http://www.gnmidi.com/gnfreeen.htm ). I would suggest to the user that
they report this as a bug to Band In A Box. The diagnostic output of
the midifix program is:

this.mid: invalid control value used at 0001459C
this.mid: Warning - format 1 track contains different channel commands
this.mid: removing invalid note command at 000145AA
this.mid: Warning - 1254 bytes lost.
this.mid: Missing end of track added.
this.mid contains errors. Fixed output written to midifix.mid

mozart.mid: removing invalid note command at 00006CFB
mozart.mid: Warning - 5 bytes lost.
mozart.mid: Missing end of track added.
mozart.mid contains errors. Fixed output written to midifix.mid

I've attached the fixed up midi files, though given the errors it's
likely that there will be missing data.........."

Those statements according to Avid (Sibelius) lead developer. I hope the PGMusic team will address this issue. I will also e-mail this to PG Music support and hopefully this will be resolved soon.

M
Expert
Expert
M
Music2go4
why dont you post the problematic midi file at stashbox.org mate.
so people can look at it n give it a try.
i'm curious to load the midi into midi software i have and have a look at it.
by any chance was this a midi you got from somewhere that you then modified ??

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
I got an e-mail from Kent of support@pgmusic.com requesting the MIDI files. I am sending two corrupt MIDI MacBIAB generated files that I sent to Sibelius. One is an original tune with MacBIAB chords entered by me to go with the original tune and the other one is a classical music by Mozart that came with the MacBIAB Everything pack that MacBIAB generated the MIDI file .

Kent, let me know when you get the MIDI files. Thanks.

M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Update:

Kent e-mailed me back and says, "I can definitely confirm that if these are indeed MIDI files, there's definitely something very wrong with them (of course)."

I am sending the MGU files where the corrupt MIDI files originated to Kent of support@pgmusic.com

Thanks,

Eliasar
http://salidonapublishing.com/MusicInDreams.aspx

M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
I am stuck! Peter, can you please update or say something about this issue. I cannot do much with the Mac version of BIAB 2010. I use BIAB a lot especially the MIDI part because with the MIDI files, I can export that to Sibelius for note editing and scores.

So far while waiting for the fixed bug, I went back and use my older PC version of BIAB 2008 on Window XP. It is still pretty good when it comes to MIDI except the latency, which is another issue for me with PC. Anyway, I was able to generate the desired MIDI file of the tune. One of the primary reason I use BIAB is to lay out the chords of a melody or tune and that is where BIAB is good at it. The other features like RealTrack and RealDrums, I am not into those at this time.

I crossovered to Mac version of BIAB 2010 because of the latency response issue. It has, I think, zero latency compared to my PC version when entering notes on my keyboard.

Anyway, here’s the final score and MP3 of that tune. To be able to see the score on Sibelius, you will need to download Scorch at Sibelius.

http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/index.php?sm=home.score&scoreID=156969

Eliasar

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,663
Posts735,574
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 162