Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
LT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Steve,

How do you find the glossy monitor? That's one thing that concerns me a bit. It looks really nice, but I'm not sure about glare.

-Larry

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
LT,
I had assumed you were considering a MacPro instead of an iMac. So, my question is this. What audio interface are you going to use? Can you configure the iMac with two hard drives, especially if you're going to be doing a lot of audio data. A single hard drive with two partitions doesn't really work if you have lots of audio tracks, because your system uses it, and it gets used to write and read audio. You should have a dedicated drive for audio and a dedicated drive for the system.

WIth an iMac, it appears that you can only use USB or Firewire, instead of a PCI or PCI-e audio card. What were you planning on using?

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
LT at this point, you should hang out at the Biab for Mac forum to get a different perspective. I just checked, didn't see you in there.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
LT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

LT,
I had assumed you were considering a MacPro instead of an iMac. So, my question is this. What audio interface are you going to use? Can you configure the iMac with two hard drives, especially if you're going to be doing a lot of audio data. A single hard drive with two partitions doesn't really work if you have lots of audio tracks, because your system uses it, and it gets used to write and read audio. You should have a dedicated drive for audio and a dedicated drive for the system.

WIth an iMac, it appears that you can only use USB or Firewire, instead of a PCI or PCI-e audio card. What were you planning on using?

Gary

Gary, I'm not sure if you can have two hard drives in an iMac. I suspect not, but I don't really anticipate doing a lot of audio tracks. I bought my current system expecting that I would be doing a lot more recording and it turns out I didn't. When I tried to do some simple couple track recordings with BIAB or a midi file as a backup track, sometimes it worked, but more often than not the computer would start sputtering and mess things up. (that is using separate hard drives for the system files and for data/tracking -- however, I was just using my soundblaster card and who knows what other things on the system might be slowing it down. I can't say I spent a lot of time troubleshooting).

I have tended to simply use BIAB, and for fairly basic things -- as a backup band for practice and to put together some lead sheets. But who knows whether I may get motivated to do more recording/mixing in the future, especially if things actually work without frustration. So the hard drive issue is something to keep in mind. The MacPro looks great, but boy are they pricey. For what I tend to use the computer for, I think the MacPro might be overkill.

As far as an audio card, I haven't gotten that far yet. The options are open, so a firewire or USB card would be fine with me.
I'm sure I could find something that would suit.

Off-Topic
LT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

LT at this point, you should hang out at the Biab for Mac forum to get a different perspective. I just checked, didn't see you in there.

Bob

Will do -- thanks.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, Firewire, IMHO, is something you should stay away from. I don't like it, and I don't think it's a good choice, but there are those who use it, and will disagree with me.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
M
Expert
Expert
M
gary.
no probs mate.
all the best to you.

LT
i would sincerely suggest before spending any money at all you
try out a mac n run tests with music software and do the same with a powerfull i7 system.
for me i would have the latter. seriously mate i would talk to lots of people
with i7's before makeing a decision.
particularly watch carefully how quikly apps start up on an i7.
(assuming its configged properly.)
actually let me ask you a question.
in any song of yours whats the max no of traks you would have and max no
of synth and effects plug ins. ??
any real time synths that are heavy on resources ??
if not...here quad core amd 620 systems are 560 buks.
not an i7 in power, ..but might tide you over for a few years
till 8 and 16 cores get affordeable.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
LT,

About the glare issue, I will have to admit that if you have a lot of lights or bright areas behind you there is quite a bit of glare. I just position the screen where that doesn't happen.

Manning,

Sorry for not responding earlier. (i suspect you'll get red spikes.) That is exactly what I got. When i got the red spikes it would glitch and i would have to start over. Also it did have separate drives (I have now sold it). I used one to load the programs and the other to store the data.

I apologize if i have missed anymore questions to respond to. You guys have put out a lot of information for LT to think about. If I would have known some of the things that y'all have put in this thread I would have probably kept my HP laptop and saved myself some money.

Thanks guys, This is an outstanding forum with outstanding people who really care about others.

Steve

Steve
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
We have an iMac, MacBook Pro, a Windows laptop and a Windows desktop (all for business-use). So I have experience with both PC and Mac. For both the platforms there are pros and cons. Here are some that come to mind:

Windows based system pros:
-Relative cheap to purchase
-familiar lay-out to most people

Windows based system cons:
-System clutters up in time, making the system slow
-Windows uses a up lot of resources
-System needs constant maintenance to assure smooth operation
-Upgrade from one Windows version to the newest version is expensive

Mac system pros:
-a Mac WORKS, no need for constant maintenance
-installation of printers and other devices are super easy (yes, easier than Windows Plug and Pray)
-fantastic controls (mouse and touchpad) and intuitive lay-out
-cheap to upgrade from one OS to the next
-Windows can be run on a Mac
-great design

Mac system cons:
-Mac does not support Flash; certain web-content is not visible
-when connecting to a Windows Exchange server for webmail you are limited to use the light version
-Initial purchase is more expensive than a PC

Take into consideration the licenses for Windows-based software you may have. If you cannot migrate them to the Mac, you may have to buy new licenses. On the other hand: a Mac already comes with iLive, and iWorks is pretty inexpensive...

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
@Garry: On a Mac you can use USB, so USB-audio interfaces are always a good option. On iMacs, Mac Pro's and MacBook Pro you can go for FireWire (IEEE1394) which works fabulous for audio-interfaces.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mike,
I know the interfaces are there. My displeasure with the firewire interface is just that, with the interface, in that it was designed for moving massive amounts of data, such as hard drives and such, and not really for the timing critical application that music needs. Macs, PCs, in that case, it doesn't matter.

Gary

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
LT,
Then this came across my desktop this morning, so something else to consider in the purchase of a Mac. It used to be that you didn't worry about this kind of stuff, I guess now you do.

Quote:

Security Firm Discovers Spyware in Mac Software!

Brought to You By:
MacWorld

Intego, makers of security and privacy apps for the Mac, warned on Tuesday that some Mac software include a new piece of invasive spyware. Macworld has obtained a preliminary list of the applications with the spyware.

In a press release, Intego states that a number of apps and screen savers distributed through sites like MacUpdate, VersionTracker, and Softpedia are installing a little more software than users bargain for; Apple’s Mac OS X Downloads site also contained entries for some of the apps, though the download links appear to now be inactive. The spyware in question is called OSX/OpinionSpy and it’s a variant of Windows spyware that has existed since 2008.

As to the spyware’s invasive actions, it allegedly dupes users into handing over their admin passwords with a dialog claiming that it "market research" software will be installed to collect browsing and purchasing history. OSX/OpinionSpy then installs a process called “PremierOpinion” that runs as root. Intego says the spyware then opens an HTTP backdoor on port 8254, scans all accessible local and networked volumes, and injects code into Safari, Firefox, and iChat in memory (meaning it doesn’t alter the applications themselves). It also regularly transmits encrypted data to a variety of servers, which contains e-mail addresses, iChat message headers, and URLs—as well as potentially personal data like usernames, passwords, credit card numbers, bookmarks, and browsing history.

OSX/OpinionSpy can also upgrade itself automatically with no user intervention and relaunch itself via Mac OS X’s launchd, the system-wide process that manages a number of automated systems, background daemons, and launch processes. Furthermore, upon uninstalling the original program, OSX/OpinionSpy remains installed on your Mac.

So far, Intego has found OSX/OpinionSpy in one application—MishInc FLV To Mp3—and a number of screensavers (here's a MacUpdate example link) that are all made by 7art-screensavers:

* Secret Land ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Color Therapy Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* 7art Foliage Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Nature Harmony Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Fiesta Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Fractal Sun Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Full Moon Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Sky Flight Clock ScreenSaverv.2.8
* Sunny Bubbles Clock ScreenSaver v.2.9
* Everlasting Flowering Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Magic Forest Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Freezelight Clock ScreenSaver v.2.9
* Precious Stone Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Silver Snow Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Water Color Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Love Dance Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Galaxy Rhythm Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* 7art Eternal Love Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Fire Element Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Water Element Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Emerald Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Radiating Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Rocket Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Serenity Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Gravity Free Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Crystal Clock ScreenSaver v.2.6
* One World Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Sky Watch ScreenSaver v.2.8
* Lighthouse Clock ScreenSaver v.2.8

PremierOpinion, an “elite research community” that provides the namesake software, offers a privacy policy, a snippet of which is a bit alarming:

For certain commercial customers, we may provide individual-level information. We make this data available so that these customers may enhance their own understanding of Internet usage and online commercial trends. In all cases, we make commercially viable efforts to automatically filter confidential personally identifiable information such as UserID, password, credit card numbers, and account numbers from the data being provided.

While the policy also states that “customers” can opt out of the program at any time, it only offers uninstall instructions for Windows, not Mac OS X. It also explains that PremierOpinion gave OSX/OpinionSpy the ability to analyze, repair, or reinstall itself out of concerns over system stability, in case third-party software does more harm than good while attempting to remove it.

That said, Intego claims that as long as VirusBarrier X5 and X6 users update to the latest version of its threat filters, released May 31, 2010, its software should be able to remove OSX/OpinionSpy successfully.

Gary

Off-Topic
LT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

Windows based system cons:
-System clutters up in time, making the system slow
-System needs constant maintenance to assure smooth operation

Mac system pros:
-a Mac WORKS, no need for constant maintenance
-installation of printers and other devices are super easy (yes, easier than Windows Plug and Pray)
-fantastic controls (mouse and touchpad) and intuitive lay-out
-great design

I know there are other issues to consider, but these are the things that really made me start thinking about a Mac. I realize the computer is just a tool, but most typical consumers (of which I consider myself one) want it to be fun to use also. The fewer headaches the better.

I admit that the Adobe/Mac issue and resulting lack of flash is a bit of a pain.

@Manning -- I don't intend to use many audio tracks. Probably not more than 3 or 4, tops. I also don't use tons of soft synths. The truth is music RECORDING is a small part of what I use the computer for. I hear you regarding checking out systems first. With my own inquiries and all of the good information from the friendly folks here, I will certainly be in a position to make an informed decision when I decide to make a purchase. In the end, I suspect it will be fine either way.

@Steve - Thanks for the information about the glare. I don't have lots of light behind my work space, but I do have windows in front of and to the left of where my computer is located. As I use the computer for some light photo editing and for working on documents, this could be something worth thinking more about.

@ Gary -- I figure it's only a matter of time before Macs have similar issues to PCs re: viruses, etc. I suspect the first big virus is going to be a real problem, because everyone assumes Macs don't have this issue and I doubt they will be ready for it.

Off-Topic
M
Expert
Expert
M
LT
crikey with those low needs a 600 buk amd 620 quad core pc
is way more than you need mate.
so i would look at that cos it will have enough oomph as your
needs change. test one out mate.
with money saved get a nice sound device and mic pre n mic etc
n some monitors. thats what i would do.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
For Music Studio: 3 XP's.Pro series.
For Gigs, MP3's, BIAB, and Electronic Real Books & their MP3's: I Pod 15 Gig and I Pod Touch with 30 Gigs.
For biz and music Toshiba Portable Qosmio with XP.
For water anchor ala 17 Foot Osage Aluminum Canoel: Mac Plus
For poetry writing and early serious multi-tracking: Mac Powerbook *8* Megs of Ram really goes far boosting music composing!

Retired, gigging, goofing off in the sun and playin' with lots of toys.

If I only could afford a new Mac, I'd jump at the opportunity...even get a free I Pad Touch for free. (Education student or teacher offer)

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
It is great to get a free I Pad Touch for ..... free!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
LT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi again everyone --

So it's now been a few months and I've been continuing to use my old PC as I haven't had the time to fully consider the purchase of a new computer. Now I'm back in shopping mode and after looking at prices for similarly equipped systems, my needs, etc. I am leaning strongly toward buying another PC with WIndows 7. If I go that route, I was looking at another Dell or an HP. Assuming budget is not a large limiting factor (within reason), what type of configuration would you suggest? Does the old addage of "buy the most computer you can afford" still hold true or is that wisdom no longer appropriate?

So you don't have to go back and read all of the old messages I'll give you a quick summary of my useage again: My needs for BIAB and recording/editing are relatively basic. I would like a little room to grow (just in case), but I generally use BIAB more for practice and background tracks and only very occasionally do any recording. When I do record, it is typically only a couple of tracks or so. I have only been using my soundblaster card up until now.

I also use the computer for transcribing software, some digital photography editing (nothing too intensive), storage of photos and music that I stream wirelessly to my stereo, ripping CDs and sometimes converting DVDs for use on a netbook or iPod, typical office applications (Word and Excel), e-mail, internet ... I'm sure you get the idea.

Thanks again.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, LT -

I'd recommend getting the most processing power you can afford, but I think you'll find you'll do better by purchasing additional hard disk space and memory somewhere else (for example, NewEgg). Sometimes it's actually cheaper to buy it with the smallest hard drive they offer, and then save money on multiple larger, faster hard drives elsewhere. Likewise for the memory. You might find that you can get a system with 2GB (for example), and then find you save a bunch bringing it up to 4, 6, or 8 GB by buying elsewhere. I would shop for those other components at the same time as shopping for the computer, so you can keep track of what costs what where.

I usually create a little spreadsheet with the different components I'm looking for and then price it all over the place to find the best deal. A little research can save you a bunch of money.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
LT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, John. What I have generally found is that places like Dell and HP sort of force you to get more memory, larger hard drive, etc. by not including the smaller drives/memory as options,if you configure a system with more processing power, but I'll check that out as a possibility.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been using the same computer for the last 4 years and I don't have a problem with it. I've been known to run up to 12 tracks loaded with synths and plugins. Many of them are not pg softsynths. I run a drum synth called DR005, an old outdated synth. Then I use DX plugins and VST synths. I've recorded using ASIO4ALL since the only card I'm using now is a simple $30 soundblaster card.

This computer has 2 gigs of memory, 2.3 gighz processor, 1 100 gig PCI hard drive, one SATA 500 gig hard drive and 1 1 terrabyte ext drive.

I'm running windows xp sp3. I've got 3 different email accounts running. I have windows menu bars galore, half of which I don't use. The system is a 32 bit single processor type by AMD.

I've found that, when the system gets over loaded and starts stuttering, I just switch it over to ASIO to do my recording with. That also eliminates any sync offset my software produces.

One last thing you have to remember. To run a really great DAW you need to shut down a lot of background software. (TSR's) Also there are a lot of windows apps running that probably never get used. Best thing is to eliminate them altogether. Shut down any screen saver. Those are only good for eyecandy now as the new screens don't burn. There are web sites out there dedicated to setting a PC up as a DAW. Use google or bing and look 'em up.

Last but not least, don't think a MAC is always going to be a fast, smooth, running machine. Sooner or later it's gonna get bloated just like PC's do. Software for the MAC is gonna cost more and will probably do way less.

About BIAB for MAC. My understanding is Pgmusic just came out with the latest version for it with real instruments. But many of the features found on the PC version are not included for the MAC version.

Now one of my grandsons has a MAX and swears by it. He says that it's so fast. But I'll give it another year and he'll be griping about slow downs due to software and internet gloat. It's just part of the problem.

There is one thing to consider. Just because the MAC isn't troubled much with viruses doesn't mean they're not on the way. It's just a matter of time before the hack-heads come up with something to mess 'em up. Life just ain't no fun if these loose cannons can't come up with some kind of problems for MAC users too.

My 2½¢ worth of thought.

Russ
Anyday above ground is a good day

Computer is Hp Pavillion Vision
6 Ghz quad core AMD processor
8 Gig memory
1 TB hard drive
6 GB hard drive
Windows 7 Premium
Loose nut behind the keyboard laugh

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,523
Members38,529
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
William L, gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay
38,528 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173