Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Here is one of my go to vids for inspriation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw74sDWPH7U

How about you?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
chet atkins, doc watson, james burton, norman blake, mark o'connor, jerry douglas, mike auldridge, don rich, to name a few that have inspired me over the years, and of course, flat picker tony rice shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JFgC3Ub10E

Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

chet atkins, doc watson, james burton, norman blake, mark o'connor, jerry douglas, mike auldridge, don rich, to name a few that have inspired me over the years, and of course, flat picker tony rice shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JFgC3Ub10E

Tony Rice certainly is a treat!

I have a good friend up here in the Chicago Area, Dan Zahn, who is a extraordinary flat picker in his own right. When I watch these flat pickers, like Dan and Tony, my one thought is how do they do that!

An inspirational view of guitar playing, Thanks for the post.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Or something completely different-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MqzFN5-5jk
(Holdsworth-Road Ganes)
So effortless to him.
I love when the vocalist becomes the capo..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Tony Rice has always been one of my favorite guitarists. He inspired me to start flatpicking. I loved the flatted 3rds and 7ths that he uses so often. Tony got the inspiration for his style from Clarence White. Unfortunately, there aren't many good recordings of Clarence playing acoustic guitar. The one's that exist are of poor quality.

Another HUGE influence on Tony was John Carlini. Tony hired John to teach him jazz fundamentals after Tony was hired to replace Mark O'Connor in the David Grisman band. Tony then blended that style of playing with his own. That's what you hear in all of Tony's playing after he left Grisman.

Mark O'Connor was an amazing guitarist before he stopped playing guitar. I was fortunate enough to get to meet him while he was still playing and he played a 15-20 min. private set for me using my custom Martin. I was blown away by what he could do. Chet Atkins once stated that Mark was the "most talented musician that ever set foot in Nashville". Unfortunately for us, Mark had to quit the guitar because it was too hard on his hands. It was affecting his fiddle playing.

I play both acoustic and electric, but I'm way more impressed by someone who can play the complicated stuff on acoustic, because it's so much more physically demanding. There's really no comparison. They are almost like two different instruments. I've seen a lot of acoustic guitarist who can tear it up on electric, but I haven't seen many electric guitarist who can tear up an acoustic.

They do exist, but they're rare.

Off-Topic
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Hi Dan,

I have always gravitated to the electric guitar players. Al DiMeola was my first experience at hearing what the guitar could do. In fact, although I cannot find it anywhere on Youtube, but he did a television concert like Midnight special where he did that song live. And I saw his fingers crawl up the fretboard like a spider, it blew me away! It was my first exposure to "technique."

From there it goes on to everyone from Santana (who knew enough about playing the guitar to surround himself with the best players that made him sound better) to Stanley Jordan. I don't try to emulate them; just get inspired by them that there is life outside of the "formula".

Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

...And I saw his fingers crawl up the fretboard like a spider, it blew me away! It was my first exposure to "technique."

Ditto, and well said.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
iirc, norman blake wrote church street blues and its on the same page as tony's. frankly, i like tony's interpretation a lot better. his right hand amazes me and his execution of hammer-ons and pull-offs is virtually flawless.

bob, correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't mark o'connor win both the flat picking guitar AND the fiddle championships the same year? at age 13 i think. unheard of. i have the vinyl lp of him winning the flat-picking championship and he brought the house down. as a lad he had a very unorthodox way of holding the fiddle. while seated, he pulled it into his stomach then leaned over it. awkward looking but he certainly could make it talk.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don,

Short answer is yes. A very short list of some of the contests he won follows.

Quote:

Awards: Winner of National Old Time Fiddle Championship, 1973-76, National Junior Fiddle Championship, 1974-77, National Guitar Flatpicking Contest, 1975 and 1977, Grand Masters Fiddling Championship, 1975 and 1980, and Grand National Fiddle Championship, 1979-81.

When Mark was in a contest, everyone else was essentially competing for second place, regardless of the instrument.

Mark not only played in the national contests, he played in state and regional contests across the country. I know he won the Kentucky State Flatpicking Championship at least once and maybe twice. Fortunately for me, he wasn’t there in 1992 whenever I won the contest. I think that was the same year I met him. I didn’t get to play with him because we only had one instrument between us, and that was my guitar. That’s when he played the solo set for me. I really wish he’d had an instrument with him so I could have played with him. Now that would have been something to remember!

In spite of his immense talent on guitar, fiddle, mandolin, etc., he is a very humble person when you meet him. Very nice guy.
I think it was Darol Anger who said that Mark was the only person he'd ever met that as soon as he had a musical idea in his head, he could instantly play it flawlessly!

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 10/03/10 02:35 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Tommy Emanuel goes without saying, what a showman and player!

Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

I bought a Tony Emanuel "teaching" video once. I say once because I could not touch a thing on the video. Should have been labeled virtuosos only! Even as he would slow down to explain a lick, my only comment was, "..you got to be kiddin"

Honestly, I am not inspired by TE simply because what he does is so so far above me. I actually get a little discouraged. There appears to be a fine line between discouragement and inspiration.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
There are a lot of guitarplayers I admire. The fact that I have a very broad musical interest makes my pool of guitarplayers very, very large. Here are some I think you may like also:

Joe Bonamassa plays the blues

Stochelo Rosenberg plays " Chicago"

Dutch guitarist Jan Akkerman plays " Sylvia" (1972)

I apologise for the fact that these videos may lead to extensive loss of your time, caused by the fact that you may want to keep searching YouTube for more music by these artists

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Don Ross and Andy McKee are pretty good. LOL watch some of their youtube vids.

My website to hear my stuff-

http://www.edbulmer.com/

guitar player, vocalist, sailor
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7wagf26gJ4 Don Ross - This guy is one wild dude. I'd love to walk into a bar and find him playing for evening!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7wagf26gJ4 Don Ross - This guy is one wild dude. I'd love to walk into a bar and find him playing for evening!!

has anybody here experimented with the style of playing used by Andy McKee and Don Ross? It appears to be mostly open tunings and a lot of percussive/tapping/slapping. If anybody here has developed a similar style, I'd really like to hear an example of your work. To me this style of playing is fascinating but way beyond my ability to imitate it or even approximate it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

I bought a Tony Emanuel "teaching" video once. I say once because I could not touch a thing on the video. Should have been labeled virtuosos only! Even as he would slow down to explain a lick, my only comment was, "..you got to be kiddin"

Honestly, I am not inspired by TE simply because what he does is so so far above me. I actually get a little discouraged. There appears to be a fine line between discouragement and inspiration.

I agree Dan... and I'll take your observation a step farther. Clearly, Tommy is a gifted player.. but something about his style of playing does not affect me the way other players does. I can never listen all the way through one of his songs without losing interest and clicking away. He just seems a bit too wired for my taste... too much speed and not enough melodic overtones. I'd much rather hear something slow and tasteful than something fast and mechanical.

I speak only as a listener, not as a performer who can do better (Because I can't)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
i love all guitar playing however 'speed' playing leaves me cold. it often gets out of hand in bluegrass and heavy rock genres. i'll take precision playing (chet atkins or george benson) over speed (hendrix or roy clark) any day. i am not questioning their genius at all, its just that i find it extremely tiring to my ears.

bob and i should be embarrassed for neglecting to mention merle travis who influenced chet atkins and doc watson to the degree that they both named children after him, doc, a son and chet, a daughter. merle perfected the alternating bass runs with his thumb while finger picking the melody, often referred to as 'chet atkins style' and mis-attribruted to chet. in fact, merle may have borrowed the style from black delta blues pickers like mississippi john hurt (qv) but merle perfected it and it became synonymous with his name.

forgive us mister travis and rip.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don,

Quote:

i love all guitar playing however 'speed' playing leaves me cold.

I couldn’t agree more. A lot of flatpickers fall into that trap. A good example would be Steve Kaufman. His instructional material is very good, but his playing is really hard to listen to. I’ve never been able to listen through one CD or sit through one set without leaving. All speed and mechanics, no soul or feeling. It sounds like a good tab program. Enter the notation at a fast tempo and hit play.

Many rock and jazz guitarists affect me the same way. Listen to one song, and you’re impressed by their “prowess”. In the middle of song #2, you’re turning it off. Your term of “tiring” is a very good one.

I knew that Doc had named his son after Merle Travis, but I didn’t know about Chet. Interesting stuff. Merle Travis was a great player, but there’s no doubt in my mind that it was the black delta blues players that gave birth to it.

But we all have our influences, and there’s nothing wrong with that, as long as we make it our own, just like Tony Rice did with Clarence White and John Carlini. And I suspect that Bill Monroe’s mandolin playing also played a role.

Too bad we live so far apart. We could have some interesting conversations. Come to think of it, we are right now.

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 10/03/10 03:49 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Too bad we live so far apart. We could have some interesting conversations. Come to think of it, we are right now.

The interesting thing about internet groups is that "birds of a feather" flock to the same forums, and so it is possible to find an abnormally high number of people who like what we like... far more than most of us would likely encounter in everyday life.

Interesting.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 10/03/10 05:36 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
yes bob, her married name is merle atkins russell. don't know much about her but she'd be about 50 by now. first learned of her in chet's bio, forgotten where though.

yes, it would be nice (kewl, in the modern vernacular) to meet and swap stories but be forewarned, an irishman is apt to stretch the truth a wee tad. its an irish law, me thinks. any story passing an irishman's lips over a quaff o'ale must, by law, be well seasoned with leprechaun feces. but, so long as ye have a properly fitted feces filter, t'would be great fun. unfortunately, a stroke left me both paralyzed and mute so this may by the only means of communication available to us.

got anymore pickin' to share?

jazzmandan, consider this thread thoroughly hijacked.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,353
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.