#97943 12/18/10 09:42 AM
Off-Topic
D
dmrodes Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Just wondering about something....my wife and I played at a restaurant last night - it's divided into 2 sections - one is the bar area with a few tables. and the other a bigger dining room...there was a corporate party in there - about 3 feet from our setup... of about 50-60 poeple - loud & obnoxious the whole 3 hours we played...made it very difficult to hear what we were playing... and then they totally stiffed us on a tip... am I right to be extremely pissed off here?? BTW...we got nice tips/comments from the bar area crowd, as usual....

dmrodes #97944 12/18/10 09:59 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I don't know. I've never played for tips myself. As far as playing for loud obnoxious people, I've played 99% of my gigs in bars. Its expected.

As far as being pi$$ed, I've found that the emotion excerted in such an endevour doesn't do anything except increase the amount of acid reflux I get.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
dmrodes #97945 12/18/10 10:01 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I play restaurants that have separate bar areas...and even then... it's a challenge! Thanks for small favors, I don't do much of that anymore...but Bless you two and have a very Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year.

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
dmrodes #97946 12/18/10 10:22 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I also do this sort of thing all the time. From your description you were not playing to the dining room, you were playing to the bar and typically management wants you to keep it down so you're not too loud in the dining room. Unless you were actually hired by the corporation for their party, you have no expectation of anything from them. In fact, they may have been upset because you were interfering with their function.
The regular Friday evening 7-10pm gig I have at a place that appears to be the same set up ie two rooms split by a partial glass divider, does not use any bands during the holidays because of all the private parties. If any of those want entertainment they will hire it themselves but the restaurant doesn't start the music in the bar until 10pm and unfortunately it's the usual loud thumping disco.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #97947 12/18/10 10:49 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Go with the flow.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
silvertones #97948 12/18/10 12:03 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
the topic of tips is a tough one because there are many conflicting points of view. Once you subject yourself to the ignominy of allowing others to value your performance in terms of tips, you pretty much have no choice but to take what you get. You can't control whether people tip, but you can control whether it makes you angry

To paraphrase what Keith wisely said, if you personalize the tipping it can really mess with your attitude if not your health

I made extra money for a while by delivering pizza for my brother in law who manages a locally successful Papa Johns store. For a while it really bugged me when people didn't tip. Then I set up a spread sheet to log my hours, hourly pay, mileage, tips etc and to my surprise, on average my pay remained fairly constant. The bad tip days were always balanced by other days when, for some reason, people tipped more than usual. This knowledge helped me to put the moment into perspective

Pat Marr #97949 12/18/10 06:07 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
No tips . . . It all comes with the territory, including loud and obnoxious people. I've learned over the years that at times like this, and thank God it dosen't happen very often, I just play the gig for myself.

Bottomline, I can put up with the no tips (I never use a tip jar) and the loud patrons but I definetly do my best not let them get to me. Because if they do, then they win and I hate that.

Case in point I played a similar corporate gig myself last night. The crowd was into dinner and chatting so I played a very easy soft background gig for 3 hours. Sure I almost went to sleep a time or two but it was just what they wanted.

Later,

Danny C. #97950 12/18/10 07:54 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Citaat:

The crowd was into dinner and chatting so I played a very easy soft background gig for 3 hours. Sure I almost went to sleep a time or two but it was just what they wanted.

That's a pro.
You are not hired to be the star of the party. You are hired to please the croud. It is their party, not yours.
Of-course it is not forbidden to have fun on your job

Danny C. #97951 12/18/10 08:09 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
While I don't play professionally I do play a lot of gigs. Always with a band, never solo. E.G I recently bought a new trombone. In the first 16 days that I had it I played 23 gigs and rehearsals - most were gigs. While that was a particularly busy period it does give an indication of how much playing I sometimes do.

Now, I don't say that to skite, but simply to add some weight to my opinion:
As entertainers, our performances are not about us. They are about the people being entertained. If we are "prima donna's" then we are doomed to be constantly dissappointed; the "look at me, look at me" attitude will always leave you wanting more and never getting enough attention.

On the other hand, if we are doing our best to provide the kind of entertainment our audience is looking for then we are much more likely to receive accolades (or tips) because the audience is that much more likely to get what they want.

If you have managed to engage your audience the feedback is amazing and performances can reach amazing heights. If you haven't then you often end up playing for your own entertainment and it can be quite flat and dispiriting.

In the same line of reasoning: I play in the band at my church. Our purpose there is to lead others in songs of praise and worship. If anyone is there for ego, meaning they want people to take notice of them then I don't want them on stage with me. Our purpose is to bring glory to God, not to ourselves, nor is it to entertain though that may happen as a side effect. In church I do NOT want people looking at me. If the congregation has their eyes shut, their mouths open singing and their hands in the air then I am well satisfied.

To misquote Shakespeare a little, "the play's the thing", or in our case, the music is the thing. It can never be about us... At least not and still have real value.

<Edit> the above relates to performance as performance, not necessarily as art. When you can combine the two it's great, but this is not always possible in a performance situation. Then it is usually about business...

Last edited by Lawrie; 12/18/10 08:13 PM.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Danny C. #97952 12/19/10 12:38 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I can put up with the no tips (I never use a tip jar)

Put out the tip jar, man. Everybody in LA does it. When they see the tip jar, a request comes with cash. That place I mentioned is down at the beach where you have to pay six bucks for parking. We never get less than $25 or so which is enough to cover the parking for all of us but many times we get $50-60. This is still a paid gig though we're not playing just for tips. We always use the tip jar in public but not for a private function. Private functions are 50/50 whether we get a tip so if it's a $500 gig we might get a C note with the check. Or not.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #97953 12/19/10 04:35 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I was at a big market in Toronto yesterday. A guy in tattered clothes and toting a beat up guitar was sitting in an entrance with his case opened. A pretty good country western sound and covers, if you like that thing. Waiting for the wife. $30 bucks in 15 minutes. He kept hiding his 'take'. Every song, leaving pennies and dimes. Someone threw down $20 and said merry christmas. He stuffed it in his shirt and I noticed a bunch of bills were filling his pocket.

That being said some clean cut kids were playing a cello and flute thing at the other end of the south building and they had a tip jar with almost nothing in it. Lots of people watching. But they were not where you could stroll buy, reach in your pocket and drop change into the case, you had to walk up right in front of them and do it at chest height. I think the guy in the door where you had to go within a foot or so of his case was the difference.

I only once got a tip over 5$. A woman came up after and said I played her favorite tune. Gave me $100.

Picture this one. My marching band played in Baltimore. A guy heard in the distance the Marine Hymn. Came up and requested it. We were warming up and had played it once but he told the director he was a Marine. We did it. He peeled off 10 $100 bills and gave them to the director. Saluted during the playing, tears running down his cheeks. Told us almost no one ever played that anymore, and certainly not the bands you hear in parades. We saw him the next day, and we did it again. He tried to donate and got hugs instead. From 60 year old guys. We were happy me made him happy, would have done it for nothing and bought him a beer.

I have sat on a corner, dinged up baritone horn, case open, older clothes, and made $50 bucks an hour at rush hour in Toronto. $300 for the day. Sit on an old pillow. Play the same 4 pieces over and over. I can't sit on the ground anymore. And I don't really need to do that, it was a bet and a social experiment. I got $100 on the bet I could make $200 for the day. Gave $400 to the Children's Hospital, and had the receipt made out in the name of my reno-contractor, who pays too much tax and is somehow always broke. Good worker, poor businessman.

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #97954 12/19/10 09:15 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I was at a big market in Toronto yesterday. A guy in tattered clothes and toting a beat up guitar was sitting in an entrance with his case opened. A pretty good country western sound and covers, if you like that thing. Waiting for the wife. $30 bucks in 15 minutes. He kept hiding his 'take'. Every song, leaving pennies and dimes. Someone threw down $20 and said merry christmas. He stuffed it in his shirt and I noticed a bunch of bills were filling his pocket.

That being said some clean cut kids were playing a cello and flute thing at the other end of the south building and they had a tip jar with almost nothing in it. Lots of people watching. But they were not where you could stroll buy, reach in your pocket and drop change into the case, you had to walk up right in front of them and do it at chest height. I think the guy in the door where you had to go within a foot or so of his case was the difference.

I have sat on a corner, dinged up baritone horn, case open, older clothes, and made $50 bucks an hour at rush hour in Toronto. $300 for the day. Sit on an old pillow. Play the same 4 pieces over and over. I can't sit on the ground anymore. And I don't really need to do that, it was a bet and a social experiment. I got $100 on the bet I could make $200 for the day. Gave $400 to the Children's Hospital, and had the receipt made out in the name of my reno-contractor, who pays too much tax and is somehow always broke. Good worker, poor businessman.

Marketing my friend, good marketing.

Danny C. #97955 12/19/10 09:24 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
To answer your question simply. Don't be angry. Those folks were there because they work together and they probably needed to let off some steam on a social level. Don't blame them.
There will be times when people go out just to socialize and then there are times when people actually listen to the music.

My website to hear my stuff-

http://www.edbulmer.com/

guitar player, vocalist, sailor
edbulmer #97956 12/19/10 10:20 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I had a long time gig at a syndicate operated cabaret called "The Misty Ming" (tree). Just me singing the "American Song Book" in this very quiet, dark lounge, with a small u-shaped bar in the back corner...and a baby grand along one long wall *40 feet long with about 30 intimate, round tables surrounding. Dark and still, until the music started.

A beautify little musical abode where one came to listen to jazz, talk quietly or just listen to "sounds".

I had a Big Brandy Sniffer at the edge of the piano. This was in the 1959 to 1962 years, happy moments before beginning the "4-wives-thing-trial-series" over the next 40 years. Tips were good and "attendees" mannerful
and appreciative of the smooth love songs and up tempos...dreamy guitar player, (Ha,ha..what can I say at a much later day, 77years later.

One night, "Cleopatra" came in with a girlfriend and listened for a couple of sets, as I sat there playing, singing and sipping my ever-present Galliano-with-a-shot-of-Johnny-Walker mixed in a icy glass tumbler.

Ahh, I thought I was in heaven, especially when gorgeous "Cleopatra" invited me over for a nightcap. Nicer than a "C-Note Tip", for sure. Well, that's not quite true because when I entered her apartment we were surprised by the lound banging on the front vestibule door. She said, "Oh my God...that must be my boyfriend...I thought he was still in the slammer down in Stateville Prison"!!

Of course I flew down the back outside stairway and leaped into my 56 Austin Healy. A few miles down the road, I was forced over by a big, black Caddy. The guy leaned his head into the roadster, close to mine and whispered, "So I know who you are fella ...and where you work...you know "the rest", don't you buddy??!!

....So went life in the big windy city of Chicago... in much simpler days of yore! If Union Patriarch Ceasar Patrillo (Big ol'Local 5 Federation of Musicians), could see how the music biz is today...from what he left behind... He'd be playin' mournful tunes on his Stradivarius whilst spinning in his grave!!

GDaddy #97957 12/19/10 01:50 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Geez Daddy, same life diff place lol.

I once had a woman in a hotel bar I was playing (a Fancy Holiday Inn when they were truly fancy about '70, who started buying me fruit drinks. After the 4th there were 2 pianos. I had to stop playing, turns out she was feeding me double zombies. The deal with that place was (Thunder Bay) it took 6 hours drive to get there. Got off work Friday at 2, drove back Sunday at Supper. Play 2 nights, free meals for the 4 of us, free rooms, and tips. I did it once a month in the winter time for 2 years. At -45 the whirlpool, swimming pool and sauna made it seem like Florida.

The women trying to pick me up meant the wife put the kids to sleep and checked on me or sat there. She never drank much, and I got freebies.

I made $100 on an average weekend, enough to pay the gas.

I too went home from a bar with a dream woman. I get in the door and there's a pair of size 14 slippers. I ask who's the are she says 'ex boyfriend'. I ask 'how ex?' She says, '3 days.' hmm..'what's he do'. ...."local cop." 'he have keys?' "yes", ..

So I said "look a guy with a gun, a set of keys and he didn't break it off...I think you look great in heels despite being six one, and you are a lovely. But my Mom raised no fools...Bye."

They got back together, I see her now and then..her favorite line is ..."I think you missed on heck of a test drive with a really pee-d off woman. " Hm....

There was this one time at band camp NO NO NO..

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #97958 12/20/10 06:47 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This isn't a story about all the foxy girls musicians get, we all know about that that's why we became players in the first place.
First, I'm one of the straightest people around. I drink just enough to be sociable but no drugs, ever. I'm in Yakima Washington around 1970 playing and staying at the Commercial Hotel. I pick up a dancer from the strip club next door and she takes me to a little house on a quiet street, it's maybe 3am. We do our thing and just as we finished around 4 or 4:30 the SWAT team shows up. 3 or 4 cops bust in and I see more outside. Lots of guns and bright lights. One of them holding some sort of big gun tells me to sit there and don't move while a 2 more go right to the kitchen, I hear noise like they're ripping out something and they come out with 2 or 3 bags of stash. They obviously knew exactly where it was. They take her right away and ask me who I am and I explain I just got into town from California a few days ago and just met her that night. I also told him I was a former Air Force intelligence analyst and didn't have any clue about what was going on here. I kept myself under control and made my answers as short and professional as I could under the circumstances but I was crapping bullets believe me. Thank whoever that she didn't offer me anything (I wouldn't have taken it but it still could have been sitting there) and wasn't using herself. Nothing in the front room but a couple of beers. I then ask if I can put my pants on and he says ok after checking my pockets and ID. He gives me two choices. You can get all righteous and start talking about police abuse and your civil rights and all that and we'll take you downtown, book you as an accessory and get you introduced to all the public defenders or you can go with one of the officers to the station and sit there quietly, no phone calls and someone will drive you back to the hotel when this is over. I gave him a pleasant smile and said I'll take choice #2, thank you very much. The next day the news is full of the largest drug bust in Tri-State history, they arrested over a hundred people and confiscated who knows what.
This could have been a life changing disaster. I've told this story to lots of young people over the years, told them you don't want to be caught in the middle of something like this, trust me.
I was a bit more careful about who I went with after that.

Bob

jazzmammal #97959 12/20/10 07:26 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In reply to Conley, jazzmammal and GDaddy . . . . Did you guys leave a tip?

Danny C. #97960 12/21/10 01:07 AM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
You guys are hillarious! LOL

2008 Gibson ES-339 Custom & 2010 Les Paul Traditional. Fender SCXD Amp
BIAB/RB 2015 UltraPAK + Ketron SD2
Windows 7/64 Intel i5 3550 PC, Tascam USB144MKII
Behringer X1204 Mixer
Bose Companion 3 and/or L1 II w/T1 + SM58 MIC
jazzmammal #97961 12/21/10 06:56 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Now, that's a great story, with a good "musical respons", added here, from a group playing on a beach!!

These kinds of stories could be reported ad nauseum, I'll bet... Proof-Positive that "
we're all human"...especially, some of "we heat-seeking-musicians"!!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI0qQXb_y84

Let's all sing along with the provided lyrics and why not cry in our beer at the same time!!

and, about this group and it's musical selections...not a bad gig at all!!!....I love a swingin'Riverfront or Beach-Boardwalk/Bar Gig... (San Antonio/Chicago, etc.)... but not in the cold and snow!!

Just remember, according to this video...I guess it's become "A Gay Ol' Life"!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,353
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.