#116591 06/08/11 02:28 PM
Off-Topic
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hi All.

Post follows on from my previous one about speakers v. monitors. I learned a lot from that - thanks.

Upshot is that I got some Wharfedale Diamond Pro-Active 8.1 monitors from ebay (used)

Initally the sound was excellent - I was very pleased. But afte a week I suddenly developed a mains hum that I cant lose.

I've connected them direct to laptop via unbalanced TRS/RCA (phono). When powered and cabled up, but with the TRS jack out of the laptop I dont get any hum. If I connect the TRS to the laptop, but disconnect either of the RCAs from the monitors I dont get any hum. If I switch off the power to one particular monitor I lose the hum - But not if I depower the other instead.

Its most odd - either one seems to work OK, but not together. Because the hum resolves when one unit is depowered it suggest to me a defect in one unit.

I've had lots of help from these forums - but this is probably too big an ask. Hoping for flash of genius/insight/wizardry

Any ideas gratefully received. BTW I've had a quick peek inside and nothing obviously fried.

thanks
Tom

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Try the lappy on battery.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Yep tried that - makes no difference tho - the hum doesnt seem to come from there.

Thanks for the idea tho

Tom

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Are both monitors plugged into the same outlet? Use a powerstrip to make sure they are.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
What Matt said. If either one can be silent in a particular setup, then both are ok and it's probably your cabling gone bad. Replace all cable and any adapters in the chain with new and see. Also, other sources can cause this. Be careful to not have the audio monitor cables near the laptop power adapter. Computer monitors can cause this too. Light dimmers. All kinds of stuff. Noodle with all that and see.

Dan

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Lift the grounds. (earth) Ensure polarity is right on all mains plugs. Not uncommon for someone to wire it wrong.

Mess with the plugs. Another thing is having something else plugged in that is feeding you R/F.

Plug, unplug, and mess with this. It's usually easy in the end.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That gave me chills. I have the Wharfedales too (8.2 model) and have the hum problem on ONE of them. Only one. And when I switch channels, if it was the feed, logic says the hum would follow the channel, right? Wrong. The hum stays in the speaker on the right side of the room.

HOWEVER.....

I had reason to go behind the knee wall (to tack up some fallen insulation) and discovered a junction box there I never noticed before. I have my electrician coming in to look at that, but with all the other testing I did, there HAS to be some spurious AC causing the hum because the speaker sits right in front of it.

I also took both speakers into another room, with first the same mixer and then a second mixer, and there was no hum. So as the responders have suggested, it seems like an AC related issue. If you swap left and right out of the mixer, does the hum stay with the channel or the speaker?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hey great responses - thanks.

Power supply is from common strip - have changed that, tried plugging in on another mains circuit - still get the loud hum.

I have tried changing leads, swapping units, changing locations, all sorts.

And whatever I do I get the same hum - and it always resolves when I depower the same monitor.

Eddie - I wish it simply were just some hidden AC pickup - but I get the same thing in any location. BTW what do you think of the speaker soundwise?

Key observations:

1 I dont get hum if I dont plug the TRS in.
2 I get hum if I plug the TRS into any input source.
3 No hum if I depower one of the units - always the same one.
4 I removed the earth/ground connection from mains lead on the suspect unit - hey presto - no hum - all works perfectly - except risk of getting fried if goes faulty.
5 When I first got the monitors, I didnt have this problem. Same cables, same set up. It just started out of the blue.

I dont have the luxury of a balanced OP from the laptop. Anyone know how to wire unblanced OP to balanced IP?

Thanks again

Tom

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Anyone know how to wire unblanced OP to balanced IP?

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/cables.php

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like you have both unbalanced RCA inputs and balanced inputs to the monitors.There is no point in using the balanced inputs when the outs are unbalanced. Buy a small mixer with balanced outs. Plug the lappy into the mixer.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
That link seems to show how to wire cables - but not specifically how to use unbalnced OP for balanced IP.

Could buy mixer I guess but trying to avoid more gear.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/an003.pdf

Shows this I think, and seems to suggest some benefit from connecting unbalanced to balanced.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/aug94/groundloops.html

is also quite useful on the subject in general.

...still cant figure out why it used to be just fine though.

TOm

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Eddie - I wish it simply were just some hidden AC pickup - but I get the same thing in any location. BTW what do you think of the speaker soundwise?

I love them. Good low end response and crisp highs. Plenty of power for near field use. 100w is enough to send sound 8 feet to my ears.....

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I found my problem and resolved it, and it had little to do with anything I thought of in the past.

I noticed that one keyboard was flickering on and off when I played it. I decided to change out the power strip. That power strip had 3 keyboards, a tremolo/Leslie effect stomp box, and another power strip that only the Wharfedale monitors plug into. When I changed out that power strip, I took out an older generic strip and put in one that has an indicator on it when a line fault is present. As soon as I hit the power button, the red fault light came on. Reset the strip, red light stayed on. Took that power strip to another outlet on another circuit, no red light. So I ran that power strip from a different wall outlet and now everything is quiet. So bottom line, the problem in MY case was a bad wiring job inside one of my walls, not surprising given what else I inherited when I bought this house in early 2009. NO ground lifts, no re-routing, just a bad wall outlet. Fortunately that wall is going to come down anyway and I will just eliminate that wire run.

But yep, everybody who said it was power conditioning for the few of us who talked about AC related hum was right on it.

And now back to the Stanley Cup game.....

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
"I removed the earth/ground connection from mains lead on the suspect unit - hey presto - no hum - all works perfectly - except risk of getting fried if goes faulty."

Seems like a ground loop issue if you lift the ground and all is well. If you can't track it down, take a look at some of these products that are made to help these situations-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=ebtech

And also-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=power+conditioner

Good luck.

Dan

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, I once managed a computer center, and we wondered why the life of the electronics in the display area was so short. Because of the faulty wiring, anything that caused the equipment to be connected to more than one outlet, like a shared switched printer for many PCs, allowed substantial stray voltages to flow. A new wiring job for the whole wall was needed, and after that, no problems.

The first thing I do before plugging equipment in, is take out my three-prong outlet tester. These testers are cheap, like $5, but they can quickly save you time and money.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I worked for 8 years with one of those 3 prong testers in my pocket. A fire inspector should have tools. I also had a proximity tester and another one I could use on stainless steel in restaurants to detect stray voltage. People said to me, I got tingling from that thing for years and now it's gone. Go figure.

In a burned out building don't touch the bare phone lines. As long as no call comes in you are not like the electrocuted cat in the cartoon. It may not seem like lots of volts but you only do it once in a wet basement.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John, when you say proximity tester, is that the thing that you can just touch to the outside of the wire and see if it is live?

I have my electricity guy coming in later this week for something else and I am going to have him look at every circuit upstairs. He rewired my basement to add circuits for the woodworking shop and kicked me up to 200 amp svc because I was also adding an electric range. Before his visit, if I ran the shop vac to catch the sawdust when running the table saw I would blow a breaker. He added 6 outlets in the basement, each on their own 20 amp breaker. Need him to nose around upstairs now. The hum was cut 85% by moving it to the other circuit. Of course I would like dead silence. Much like the audience wants when I sing....

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well as an Electrical Contractor & Chief Electrical Inspector IF you want dead silence what you need to do is isolate your studio circuits from the rest. The only way to do this is have an Electrician run a 50A/220VAC circuit to an isolation transformer and from the trans former to a new panel.Then individual branch circuits as needed from there. The grounding electrode systems is re established at either the transformer or the new panel depending on the wiring configuration and in essence provides you with a new SERVICE that is just for the studio.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks John. I had a feeling that for perfect silence I needed perfect wiring for perfect power. I will have my guy give me some numbers for that. When he worked on my basement 2 years ago he did a lot of work (New panel, upped the service to 200amp,and put in 6 new outlet boxes, as well as removing 2 very bad pieces of home made wire run form the previous owners) and did me okay on the price.

Great to get input from an actual professional like yourself! I freak out when I change light fixtures! Took me 6 years to work up the courage to remove a 1960s ceiling fan/light fixture and replace it with a florescent. Took 15 minutes, went without incident, but still took 6 years....

Don't even ASK me about plumbing.... LOL!!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Another way that may be as effective in the home is to wire the studio using all metal boxes and Medical Grade AC Cable. AC cable otherwise called Armored cable is UL listed so that the armor can serve as the equipment ground. It looks similar to the old BX cable but is not at all the same. The medical Grade also has an insulated grounding conductor run inside with the other 2 conductors. Patient Care rooms per Art 517 NEC requires redundant grounding. In the case of the studio you'll use receptacles that have isolated grounds. In this way the boxes are grounded with the armor of the cable BUT the ground on the receptacles is done with the insulated equipment ground.This way the armor actually acts as a shield preventing stray currents & EMI from getting in.Mention both methods to your Electrician. If he has that "deer in the headlights" look find another Electrician.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,646
Posts735,421
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 97
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.