Off-Topic
M
MrEd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
Hello all,

I know this subject has been discussed in a previous thread but I would like your opinion or advice on mastering the final mix. I am currently using Sonar X1 Essential and that came with Boost 11. This is really the only tool I have that I’m familiar with for the final mix and it does a great job but I am considering a plug-in, stand alone app, or upgrading Sonar. I know little about this and would like to know what you guys are using that works well. I like the idea of presets that come with some of the apps at least until I learn how to use it. I have looked at T-Racks and Ozone 4 but I know there are many more out there. I have the 10 day trial version of Ozone 4 but I haven't had the time to learn to use it although I have tried the presets.

Also those of you with Sonar X1 Producer – do you use what comes with the program for mastering or something else? Do you think the difference between the Studio version and Producer version is worth it? Do you use the pro channel for mastering? Does it come with presets?

I know it’s a lot of questions but I want to make sure I spend my money as wisely as I did with BIAB. For about the same money of some the plugins I could upgrade to Sonar X1 Studio or Producer but again I just don't know enough about the choices to make a wise decision.

I’m using Windows XP 32 bit, SonarX1 Essential, and BIAB 2011.5 EverythingPak.

Thanks for your time.

MrEd #126898 08/25/11 01:44 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi MrEd,

I recently bought Ozone4 and find it exceptionally good. I use it with Reaper (by Cockos).

For many years I used Cakewalk/Sonar Home Studio and, about 12 months ago, changed to Reaper after Sonar 7. One of the reasons that I changed was because Geoffrey Francis has written some brilliant books on how to get the most out of this DAW. It's different from Sonar but well worth the effort to learn. (It's only $40 for home use.)

I have found that the many plugins that come with Reaper are terrific but I wasn't able to find one that does the job the Ozone does when it comes to mastering.

If you want to hear my latest song that was made entirely with Realtracks, Reaper and Ozone4, it's here (it's still a work in progress but you're welcome to listen) ...

... link to latest song

(Please note, the above link is a streaming one so it may take a few seconds to start.)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
M
MrEd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
Noel thanks for the reply and wow what a great tune - very well done. Sounds really polished.

MrEd #126900 08/25/11 02:31 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
noel, very nice!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The various effects included with Ozone are very nice. I use it in RB with no problems.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Okay so what exactly is Ozone and what does it do for you when mastering?

And I would sell my soul to the devil to have a voice like yours. I really can't sing very well.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Okay so what exactly is Ozone and what does it do for you when mastering?

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/

Quote:

And I would sell my soul to the devil to have a voice like yours. I really can't sing very well.

If only it could be done, you and me would be in the same line...

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Tell ya what, Dan, my dear friend Rachel here in Ohio REALLY belongs in Nashville. She is THAT good. Alas, life happens....

I am going to inbox her web addy to you. I don't know about posting it publicly until I get her permission.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ozone is worth checking out. Very nice.

Last edited by rharv; 08/25/11 07:43 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
There is a stand alone program that I like to use alot, I am not good at the final stages of mastering the finished product, and this program takes alot of the guess work out, as it is fully automated.

AAMS (Auto Audio Mastering System)
http://www.curioza.com/

Link to the song, “The Outstretched Hand” That I used AAMS on:
http://www.dannyriddle.com/music/DannyRiddle-TheOutStretchedHand.MP3

Keep The Music Alive!
Danny

Keep The Music Alive
www.DannyRiddle.com
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I also use AAMS & think it is well worth the price. I mainly use it for it's readouts on all the various EQ & compression settings, and then go back & make adjustment based on that...AND you get 21 days to try it out...can not beat that!

Another one that folks rate highly is Hal-Bar, tho I have only tried it a few times...

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
jcspro, it's har-bal as in harmonic balance.

To those of you that jumped on the killer Tracktion deal months back, the FinalMix plugin that was included in Tracktion is an outstanding 'mastering' plugin but it only works in Tracktion.

MrEd #126909 08/26/11 04:59 AM
Off-Topic
M
MrEd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
Thanks everyone for your input. Some great suggestions and it's very much appreciated.

Off-Topic
M
MrEd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
Danny I really like your song and it is a very good showcase for AAMS.

Thanks for sharing.

MrEd #126911 08/26/11 07:11 AM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I downloaded a few plugs a while back i liked for mastering. T Sledge, was good, there were others. I also bought Sonar Essentials, recently, as well as Reaper. I find Reaper to be less cluttered, but i find Sonar to be slightly better. Reaper has a gazzillion small features that you can customize ever detail, but i find that confusing, and distracting.

Many like the Reaper evolutionary growth process, but as i said i find it to be a waste of time, there is update or change every few days, and one feel compelled to make the change, as if I am missing out somehow. Also my DAW is not internet connected so all changes have to be transferred by thumb drive or such.

All the crying over at Sonar to me is just that. I have not had one single issue so far with stability. I think if you do a good plug in search for mastering plugs you can get a half dozen or so and be fine. Really what you need is a solid Multiband EQ, a good compressor, a very clean limiter, and a spectrum analyzer. Having a better reverb, and such does not hurt.

Having a very clean mix to start with helps, making sure tracks are panned properly, that offending frequencies are tamed, goes a long way to polish a project. clean up the mud, stop any clipping problems, and you are really there.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
M
MrEd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
Robh,

I wasn’t aware of any problems with SonarX1. I haven’t had any issues at all and I’m very pleased with it. I did try Reaper but I think I was already leaning toward Sonar and for me it works great but I know a lot of people use both.

I plan to in the next few days try some of the mastering software mentioned here and hopefully find something that I will be comfortable with.

Thanks

MrEd #126913 08/26/11 10:37 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've had a few challenges with SONAR Xi, but Ozone works fine with it on my system. Also, anyone with older versions of SONAR can continue to use them while testing X1, since they reside in separate installation folders.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Don, Mr Ed, and Eddie1261,

Thanks for listening to my song.

Eddie: I composed the music, wrote the lyrics and then got Jason Wyatt in Nashville to sing the vocals because I'm not that great a singer!

Robh: My experience with Reaper updates is that they're pretty much like PG Music and come out at about the same rate.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Yeah i hear you, but Reaper puts out a small update about every three of four days, and your system sees it and asks, i always feel like i should so what i do is constantly update. I do like Reaper a lot, and may end up using it, but i find MTS better at simple audio and midi tracking as it has far less options, but not really far less features and abilities, and i tend to like Sonar a bit better because the midi area is still pretty far ahead of Reaper.

We will see, I am going to give both Reaper and Sonar a solid shake down, and see which i personally like the best.

The other issue is i hope as RB matures it begins to close the gap.

Last edited by Robh; 08/27/11 10:03 PM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rob,

I agree. Reaper isn't as intuitive where MIDI is concerned but it's ok once you get the hang of it. What I normally do is to take my MIDI from BIAB as a wav file and then work with it as audio in Reaper.

If it's any help, what did I to learn Reaper was work through the instruction book and do all the suggested exercises using the demo project file "All Through The Night.RPP". It took a couple of weeks of learning but the time spent was well worth it in my opinion.

Cockos have approached the design of Reaper from a completely different perspective than the majority of DAWs. I found that this meant that what I had learned in Sonar was not always helpful with understanding Reaper. After my couple of weeks of "induction", though, I started to see just how easy Reaper made working with audio. Procedures like "auto crossfade" when a section is simply pasted in place, "splitting at zero crossing", working with "takes" as opposed to "tracks" (just to name a few techniques) have been invaluable to me.

If you get around to trying Repear again, it might surprise you. (Note: I find it better to set the Options | Themes to "Default_3.0"; I find teh visual layout of this theme easier to work with.)

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,661
Posts735,537
Members38,531
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
akbrpra, Benfil77, William L, gman97040, kadju
38,530 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173