Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I actually want lipstick. And neon. A broadway theme.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
You would think it would be easy to update the GUI. When I was programming using Borland "Visual" products, each time a new OS GUI would come out, they would update their tools. It was a simple matter of opening the program in the new RAD Environment and swapping out the controls for the updated versions. They were almost always backward compatible; those that were not required very little programming-- usually just the change of a property or two.

Now if PG is using a text editor rather than a RAD Visual Environment , it could be VERY time consuming to change all of those elements. Switching over to a RAD would probably require a complete rewrite. I can't imagine what the code for BIAB must look like.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
analogy:

My Mom wasn't a messy person but she had a weird idea of order and she adhered to it. Her organizational scheme didn't make sense to anyone else. One day my brother decided he was going to help her by cleaning her house and rearranging the mess into what he considered a more orderly scheme

My Mom was furious. She couldn't find anything anymore.

Likewise, there are thousands of seats of BIAB in use around the world... many of them used by people whose musical productivity pays the bills. Making a dramatic change to the interface is almost certain to require a learning curve that wouldn't necessarily be a welcome change for everybody.

I hated the new interface in MS Office last go-round. Things I previously mastered I suddenly couldn't do at all.

(just one man's perspective)

Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
I'd simply ask pgmusic to not change the look or function of BIAB so much that there'd be a new learning curve---or to the point of feeling like having to learn a new program. As a non-techie, who hates to fool with computers, except to play music, it's taken me years to finally feel comfortable with the present setup. At my age, I don't want to start over. I don't even use the new mixer, which many rave about. I prefer the old system. Just give me new real styles and upgrades in sound and performance.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Pat,

I have yet to meet a person that enjoyed the introduction of the MSOffice 2007 'Ribbon' interface.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Pat,

I have yet to meet a person that enjoyed the introduction of the MSOffice 2007 'Ribbon' interface.

Glad to hear it's not just me. But if that's true, it makes a pretty definitive statement about how well the users of an established product accept major changes to the interface.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have lived through GUI changes with products, some minor, some major. Most have been an improvement. Office was not.

Here's GUI changes that I liked immediately:

Jamstix 1.x to 2.x (huge improvement and huge makeover)

Matlab (don't remember the version but when they went from command line only to some kind of GUI was a great leap forward)

GUI change that took me a bit but still liked it in the end after a few hours of use:
Tracktion 2.x to Traction 3.x

With MSOffice 2007, not only did they change the GUI, they changed quite a bit of VBA underneath and programs that I had written in previous versions of VBA required some changes. That was REALLY irritating.

Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Most "updates" I get for software are nothing more than re-arranging menu items and icons, and add a couple of useless new "features".

It's nothing but a huge racket.

- Bud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The 'new' volume app was a modern interface.d

I'm hoping for a similar playin' app, for much of what I do is play.

Sort of the jukebox on 'roids. Nice.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I like Comic Sans, cartoons and color.

And no offense to anyone but IMO car colors are mostly boring and have been for years. I totally get Pat's mom and like Bud find most software updates with a new look little more than a pain to learn.

With skins/color adjustments each can suit his/her own taste or keep it as it is. I'd rather that than some big overhall to look like everything else already out there.

Just my two cents.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I'd rather that than some big overhall to look like everything else already out there.

Just my two cents.

Distinctive features, distinctive look.
Same ol' features, same ol' look.

Take yer pick.

(I'll pick "distinctive" every time)

A lot of research has gon einto color combinations and design arrangements that make people pick one product over another when they're sitting side by side on a store display. And, apparently it DOES make a difference on the first purchase, when impulse is the only thing a shopper has to go on.

But all of my decisions to upgrade had nothing to do with the box design or menu arrangement. I've always felt like there was NOTHING else out there, no other product, that did exactly what I want to do musically in a way that makes sense to me.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
The hippest is gonna be THE CLOUD interface. I hear PG and Jimmy Dean Sausage Companies are working on it ...

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
Off-Topic
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
All I know is, the BIAB GUI looks very old. I don't think it has changed since the very first Windows BIAB, I believe for Windows 3.1. (I started with BIAB before that, with the DOS versions.) Other apps do not look the same as 20+ years ago, but BIAB does. It never even graduated to Windows 95. (In fact, it took quite a while after the long file names feature which began with Win95, to be usable with BIAB.) (Not a problem, but another hold-over from pre-Win95. Win95 introduced the "Program Files" folder, in which since then, 1995, almost all Windows programs have been installed. Except for PGMusic apps, which still install by default in the root directory, as in DOS and Windows 3.1. This change in Windows was made more than 16 years ago, yet PG Music never made that change.) (Not that I mind that aspect (root directory installation), but it is another indication of an app that never modernized.) Even the fact that the default directories are still called BB, RB, PT, rather than Band-In-A-Box, Real Band, and Power Tracks, is a throwback to the short file names days. Yes, BIAB is very retro. (Which could carry a certain nostalgia factor, for the early days of computing.)

Not only the program's GUI, but the documentation looks exactly the same as the very first DOS BIAB. Same thin blue book. One thing I have never found very strong about BIAB is its user manuals, not clear and easy to read, etc. Compare them for example, with the user namuals of Cakewalk and Sonar, which come with much better manuals. (OK, many apps these days do not come with a paper manual at all, but only electronic. But compare the BIAB paper manuals with those of other apps that do include them. ANd even the electronic manuals from BIAB are not as readable as others.) IT is surprising that the form and looks of the documentation has not changed one bit since the very first BIAB.

Not only looks though. Some bugs reported and complained about for decades have still not been fixed--for isntance the ability to have more than one chord change per beat. Limitations like that do not seem to get fixed, but only more features (and hundreds more realtracks) seem to be added.

Yes, BIAB is way overdue for a makeover.

There are some good things about BIAB though, that I am glad never changed. For isntance, for support, one can interact on these forums directly with the creators and programmers of the app, even with the CEO, Peter Gannon. Whereas "support" for many software companies these days, consists of, after calling and waiting for hours on hold, then finally reaching a human being, a person in India or China who is difficult to understand, and who knows nothing about the product. With some companies you have to pay to get any support at all. So kudos to PG, for retaining its good support.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Here's my guess - not going to say it's the case - but I have strong suspicions....

I bet that the underlying code used to build up BIAB and PTPA and RealBand simply doesn't allow for the 'modern' button renderings and so forth. I'm guessing it's also the reason why the VST/VSTi clock timing issues and likely the ASIO bugginess.

I don't know what they are using, but it's entirely possible it's something compiled from a language from Borland from the 1990's with workarounds and so forth to allow it to function reasonably well in modern OS.

At my place of employment, we use a CAD software that is highly specialized for working with 3D files of scans of the ear canals of individuals. Every now and then, we get an accidental 'look under the hood' with certain bugs that pop up. Sometimes the look includes a section of uncompiled code and our IT guy has said that some of the code looks like Pascal from 10+ years ago.

With all that said, it's not the worst UI I've seen for a music product. That honor, in my book, belongs to this product I've just discovered over at KVR forums called ChordWare. Have a look yourself:
[image=http://www.chordwarepa.com/aaa1131.JPG][/image]

Off-Topic
C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
I think that the program's usability would benefit just with a little bit of reorganization of its Menu and Options system. Yesterday, for example, I was looking the way for generationg scales over a chord progession, a new feature from v2011 that I've never tried until now. It took me about 15 minutes finding the way to do it, because it was just not obvious for me that such a feature would be under "Soloist" menu, and because the help file explained how that feature works, but not where it is. Then, I remember the first time I tried to assing a VST synth to a MIDi track, It took me some time discovering that such a feature wasn't present on the track right button-menu, but trough an icon that was hidden by default (or, even less intuitive, under "Option -> MIDI / Audio Driver Setup -> VST/DXi Synth Settings). An now, after several years working with the program I'm just looking the way to hide the piano on the main screen

Another key could be simplification. I don't understand, for example, why having so many different picker windows and filters for doing a thing that is essentially the same: choosing the right tracks for your song. Try to explaining a newcomer (who, remember, just want the right track for his song) the difference between Realtracks, Realdrums, MIDI Styles, RealStyles, MIDI TRacks and Loops (and where are their different picker windows), and he'll probably will get crazy. In my opinion, if all Realtracks, Realdrums, Realstyles, MIDI Styles, MIDI tracks and Loops could be choosen from a single Picker Window the workflow would be greatly improved, specially in this critical area, where having so many styles requires a simple and effective search system.

Alowing the customization of the menu system and other elements of the GUI would be great too.

Last edited by Cerio; 12/21/11 12:35 PM.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I hate change...Hank

Off-Topic
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
Cerio, you make some good points.
I think the popularity of these forums is a direct result of some of the "option overload" or redundancy for doing certain procedures.

I found that just hiding most of the unused buttons really helped reduce the clutter and simplify my workflow.

Yes you can hide the piano, in BIAB its under Opt.>Preferences> Display 2nd line from top and in RB it's near the bottom of the list in Options (Hide Piano).

Maybe a Hide or Minimize button on the piano would help but then again, it's one more button.

Another possibility could be the to open the programs in either full or stripped down mode where features could be turned on as needed.

Lots of good input in this thread and ways to approach it but in the end it will never please everyone.

Happy Holidays to all!
Carkins

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,516
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173