Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi folks, as per my bio, I am using 4 external synths. Originally, I had these daisy-chained through my MOTU 828 Hybrid audio interface but I kept hearing a faint tone of another synth playing along with my main synth (the DX7II). I turned off all the other snyths except the dx7 and could still hear the other synth. I assume this is the ForteDXi. In fact, I can change the tone of this ghost sound by changing the voices in the pull down in the upper left corner of BIAB. By the way, the DX is showing up in the keyboard that runs across the top of BIAB.

In reading somewhere on the BIAB site, or a mention by you folks, I remembered that BIAB uses channel 1 and also noted that the ForteDxi is using channels 2,3,4,6,7,8 and 10. I set my DX up to use the default channel 5 but still heard the sound of another synth. I changd the default channels in BIAB and on my synth to send and receive on chaneels 15 and 16....the only channels that weren't indicated by Fortedxi or the harmonization channels. Still I could hear the other synth.

I then disconnected the synth daisy-chain from the MOTU 828 Hybrid sound card and brought out my MOTU Express XT 8 port midi interface. I hooked each synth up to a different port and a different channel on each port such that BIAB and Forte has exclusive use of all 16 channels on port 1. Still I could hear the internal BIAB synth with only the DX7 on.

On my setup I have the non-BIAB ports selected as the midi input drivers, have tried various settings for the midi output driver, the "use DXi/Synth" is checked and the "route midi through to midi driver" is unchecked. Still I'm hearing the other synth. All the other external synths are powered down so only the DX and BIAB are running....so I am assuming the "ghost" synth is the ForteDXi.

The only way that I have found to stop this is to click on the "Thru" pulldown at the top of BIAB and mute the thru track. Once I do that everthing if fine, the DX plays clean and does not trigger the ForteDXi. Is this the right way of setting up the thru track or do you think I have setup some kind of midi loop that is triggering the Forte DXi plugin?

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
There are a few things I don't understand about your description, and I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are *trying* to do. In any case... you have a MIDI cable going from the OUT on your interface to the IN on your DX7, and another cable going from the OUT on the DX7 to the IN on your interface... is that correct? Are you sure you haven't plugged the cable into the THRU port instead of the OUT port? That would explain why the MIDI data is being echoed back to the computer.

If not, I suppose the DX7 is echoing the MIDI data to the OUT port, and there is likely a way to turn this feature off (although I couldn't see it from a quick glance at the manual).

Looking at the MIDI Monitor in Band-in-a-Box is a good way of seeing exactly what's happening.

Note: You can disable MIDI thru in Band-in-a-Box in Opt. | Preferences | MIDI Options. The "Thru" track in Band-in-a-Box is used for MIDI data received by an external MIDI device. e.g. so you could play along in realtime on your keyboard.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Andrew, thanks for getting back to me. Sorry for the convoluted explanation, it gets complicated using 4 hardware synths, a sound interface and a midi interface. What I am trying to do is to play the DX7 in realtime and not hear the ForteDXI play along with it. Whatever voice the Forte assigns to channel 5 is the voice that plays along with the DX7. Its the same pitch, its just another voice sounding with the DX7. I would prefer to hear only the DX7 when playing in realtime.

To resolve this, I moved the midi part of my system over to a MOTU 8 port midi interface. Now the DX is on port 2 channel 2 and the other synths are assigned to their own independent ports and channels.

Still what ever voice Forte assigns to channel 5 is played by the DX7. The only way that I have found around this is to mute the "Thru" channel in BIAB, then the DX7 sounds by itself.

Perhaps I am not undestanding what the "Thru" channel is supposed to do. Do you have to mute it when you play live with a hardware-based synth?

I appreciate your continued help and support.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Oh I see, I had thought you were hearing everything received by the DX7 echoed back to Band-in-a-Box, but it's only the part you are playing.

Yes, that is expected. The "Thru" track in Band-in-a-Box is used for hearing your live playing. If the word Thru is confusing, think about it as having a MIDI cable connected from a (imaginary) Thru port in Band-in-a-Box to the MIDI output driver/synth.

If you don't want to hear that live part in BB, you can do one of the following, whatever happens to be most convenient:

1. Mute the thru part.
2. Disable the thru part all together (Opt. | Preferences | MIDI Options)
3. Unplug the MIDI cable that goes from the OUT on the DX7 to the IN on the MIDI interface.
4. Toggle some setting on the DX7 that prevents it from sending MIDI data OUT. (? perhaps turn the 'transmit channel' parameter off)

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Right Andrew, I think my misunderstading of the function of the Thru track has been my problem all along. I have found, as you suggested, that by muting the Thru track I can hear the DX only and if I want to play the voice that Forte assigned to the Thru track, I just turn "local off" on the DX. So everything is fine now.

Thanks for the help and continued support.
Jeff

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi, Can I ask a what may be a silly question but why are you wanting to use 4 synths if that is what I assume you are doing from what I read. Are you wanting them all to play via biab at some time or other?.
Jeff

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Jeff, over the years have collected a few synths, midi interfaces and sound cards. Always looking for a way to keep it all together. Currently I am using the DX7II to do live play into BIAB but also use it as a controller to play the other 3 rack mounted synths. Love the DX with the E! card, it was way ahead of its time and still holds it own today.

Have to admit, I got into VSTi's a year or so ago and find that I am using them more and the hard synths less but I've got the hard side of system widdled down now to the point that it takes up a small corner and not the entire room.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the explanation, I understand now especially as 3 are rack mounted synths. I had a DX7 a long time ago, great sound. I recently got a Korg M50, does all I want and superb sounds. I too also used the VST's for a long time but I'm getting back into hardware of late and trying to get to grips with midi again.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about midi to be of any help but the other guys seems to know what they talking about, it's a great forum for friendly help.
Regards. Jeff

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,658
Posts735,502
Members38,527
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173