Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
hello

i've been trying for several day's to try and get a snare drum sound into an existing midi i have.

it has a good Ride cymbal and sock cymbal....it just has no snare in the beat...

i've tried changing styles...and that just muddies up the whole song...playing a whole different style over the midi and leaving the old one in place....sounds bad..

i tried putting it in Realband and adding a midi drum track to it....but none of the beats jell with the song
so i think i need to figure out how to keep the drums it has in it..the cymbal and sock....and add a snare song some kind of way if thats possible...

how can i fix this midi guy's

thanks
cajun

Veteran
Veteran
Hi cajun,

This is easily done seeing that you're working with midi. I'd do it via the Piano Roll mode (see yellow arrow below) and by editing the existing drum track. (Make sure that you save your file with a new name so that the current style is not overwritten.)

Ensure that the "D" is selected (yellow cross in image below), set the "Snap" and "Dur(ation)" to eighth notes (green bracket in image below) and then add "D3" notes on the beats you need. It may be necessary to use the slider to the right of the monitor and to scroll down and locate D3. I've highlighted D3 by a yellow dot in the picture below. To add notes, hold cntrl+shift down on the keyboard and a pencil icon will appear as the mouse pointer. Left-click the mouse pointer on the the appropriate place in the piano roll grid.

For reference, the two red eighth notes shown above correspond to snare hits on beats 2 and 4 in bar #1. The blue "1a" at the top of the grid tells me that bar 1 is set to the "a" substyle.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
if you're working in Real Band, you can also go to ACTION/DRUM GRID EDITOR
and use the editor to create whatever snare pattern you want.

You can also create and save other patterns, then insert your saved patterns into other songs with the menu selection: EDIT/ FILL TRACK WITH MIDI DRUM PATTERN

There are a bunch of presets already, but if you saved your original pattern in the same directory, it should show up in the list of available patterns

(this also works when you need more cow bell)

C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
Noel

worked with your lesson today...was able to add some snare....but i'm not adding it at the correct point
so i'm out of time on them....did several try's...either i added too many...or i added at the wrong spots....i have to figure out were the sweet spot is i guess..

also is there a way to copy and paste the measures after i add snare....so i can do a bunch at one time
a fella can go cross eyed doing one snare beat at a time....but if its the only way i'll have to deal with it...

thanks for taking the time to post the picture of the BIAB graphic...that was a big help to put me were i needed to be...

gonna keep slugging away at it....when i get the snare in the right spot i'll post back

cajun

C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
Pat

i tried the fill track with midi drum pattern approach...and couldn't get just the right beat...got close but couldn't get them to run in time together..

the beat was alway's ahead or behind midi playback

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Pat

i tried the fill track with midi drum pattern approach...and couldn't get just the right beat...got close but couldn't get them to run in time together..

the beat was alway's ahead or behind midi playback

that's interesting... the midi should have automatically lined up with the song's tempo. Is it possible that your song is not in 4/4 time but the snippet you created was?

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Cajun,
Quote:

not adding it at the correct point
so i'm out of time on them....did several try's...either i added too many...or i added at the wrong spots....i have to figure out were the sweet spot is i guess..

It may be that the eighth note duration and/or the eighth note snapping to grid are not right for the beat that you need. Try setting the "Snap" to [none] as shown below by left-clicking on the box to the right of snap where "[none]" appears in the below image.

Left click on the snare drum beat so that it turns red. Now, move the mouse to left edge of the snare drum beat (as shown by the blue in the image below). The mouse pointer should become a double arrow. When that happens, you can now left-click, hold the left button down and drag the snare drum to wherever you want to place it in the bar.

Quote:

paste the measures after i add snare

Yes there is.

Hold CTRL down and click on each snare drum note. All drum notes will turn red to show that they're selected. (the CTRL key allows a user to select more than one item). Now go CTRL+C (that is, hold CTRL down and press the C key; this copies), click on the new bar, go CTRL+V (to paste). You might need to align the beats a bit.

Note, it's also possible to select the notes by holding the left mouse button down and dragging a rectangle around the snare notes as shown below.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 01/24/12 10:59 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
i got a decent beat in the song now...all the lesson's helped me a lot...i was putting single snare hits in a song that has 140 measures in it....so the copy and paste was a life saver for me..

Biab was giving a Bossa type style with this song...and it sounded half time to what the song needed...and this is a jitterbug type song..

song title is...Don't let the green grass fool you....i think its and old wilson picket tune..

anyway....i tried changing the style hoping to find something with a nice snare snap....but couldn't find anything that would play in time with this thing..

the formula after what seemed like a thousand try's....lol was a snare hit on the beginning of a measure....count 3 blocks in measure...and snare hit on the 4th block
then another on beginning of measure.....and that put it in time pretty close....

to be exact on it...the middle snare hit would probably have to be...half in one block and half in the other...and i think noel's last lesson by setting snap to none...would let me set the snare hit across lines..

anyway i just got finished with the song a little while ago....and its good enough now to play on stage thanks to you guy's....but with noel's latest snap advice...it makes me want to mess with it again...god i'm my own worst critic with these songs....i drive myself crazy trying to be a perfectionist with this.....lol

cajun

Veteran
Veteran
I'm pleased to hear that it all came together for you

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,546
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173