Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
FLAN Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi All,

Off topic of course, but always a fun group to share tunes with on the off beat.

Sorry gang, no PG products exposed here (bummer, I know); else, they'd be in another topic eh?

I thought I would share an instrumental I did a while ago.

The brunt of the sonic horsepower is provided by the Yamaha Motif XS, and some one-off guitar work on top of it all (done via Line6 POD and me externaly).

Guitars are all in one take...so you get the pleasure of hearing all the "what the heck was that?" moments!

Granted, there are a few LOL

Have fun, and let me know what ya'll think.

It's long...but hopefully, it will keep you interested.

Here it is on SoundClick: OPIUS MODULUS

Warmest Regards,

JOHN 10:10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eric,

Just curious. What's your thinking behind the length of your songs?

The first one of yours I listened to was 9 mins., the next was over 6 mins. This one is 7:27.

You obviously don't owe me or anyone else an explanation, but as a listener and musician I can't help but wonder.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Beethoven's Fifth was only 45 minuets, but he didn't have to listen to it!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don,

I don't think any of us can compare our compositions to Beethoven's 5th. Or even a movement of it or any of the other classics. (And I did catch the "minuets" joke).

I know the temptation of writing LOOOOOONNNNGGG songs. But sometimes we forget that others aren't nearly as "invested" in our songs as we are.

Get in. Give us a "hook" or story. Get out. Leave us wanting more.

Don't make us ask "how long is this song?"

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Beethoven's Fifth was only 45 minuets, but he didn't have to listen to it!

Don, that was a good one - made me laugh out loud.

No offense intended to you at all Eric. It's easy to get caught up in the muse and get lost in time. It's just unfortunately most times harder for the average casual listener to hang in to the end on really long songs.

Okay, I want to edit this to add that I listened to half of it. There's nothing bad about the sound to me. The real pickers can comment on the playing but it sounds like you're really into it.

This has a problem that many "instrumentals" I try to listen to here have. It sounds more like a jam session than a song to me so it doesn't keep me interested. But that's just me.

I do think you'll have a blast with BIAB and Realband.

Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
LOL. I agree. That was pretty funny don.

Seriously though, very long songs rarely get pop radio play.
Off the top of my head an exception to that is Stair Way to Heaven witch is over 7 minutes in length.
I'm sure there are others, but can't think of them right now.
I personally love the challenge of trying to say what I want in a 3 to 4 minute song.

Tim

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Josie,

Quote:

Okay, I want to edit this to add that I listened to half of it.

Since you're coming clean, ... I will too. I started the song and saw it was going to be the length of a sitcom so I muted the computer, brushed my teeth and got ready for bed, took out the trash and walked the dog so she could use the bathroom.

I then lit a cigarette, un-muted the computer and saw it was STILL playing the same song.

So I "muted" the computer again and started a comment.

Shucks, ...you could start WW3 in less time than it would take to listen to the song. Even if you were throwing rocks! LOL.

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 04/04/12 10:50 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Tim

I think it's even tougher when there's no lyrics. JESSICA by the Allman Brothers is a pretty long instrumental song. It's full of repeating musical hooks and clever arranging to keep it moving and interesting. I think that's true of successful slower instrumentals too.

Sorry Eric - don't mean to hijack your thread.

Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Hey Flan,

Well since you put it on Sound click I went ahead and gave it a listen.
I did listen to the whole thing and think you've got some nice sounds going on here.
I do think it's much too long though.
I really enjoyed it until about the 5 minute mark, then was ready for something really new to happen or it to end.
It's not often I find a song or instrumental that can keep my interest for more then 5 minutes.
I think most listeners are that way unless it's classical music which is another ball game completely.
Like Beethoven's fifth for example.
But that guy was amazing in so many ways.
I mean who can take a friggin 4 note theme and make a entire first movement of a symphony out of it.
And make it very interesting.
LOL. sorry starting to ramble here.
Time to hit the sack.

Tim

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Time to hit the sack.

Wait Tim. The song ain't over yet!

Off-Topic
FLAN Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you for taking the time to write...I really appreciate that.

I happen to agree on all points.

Bob, I don't think I can give an answer as to why I tend to make some songs so episodic.

Like Josie said, I guess I was into it.

Moving forward, I will make it a concentrated effort/goal of mine to be very mindful of the song's length in the future (as I attemtp to construct new tunes).

This older stuff I'm sharing (for fun) I can do little about.

Thanks for having a listen...no matter how long you could stand it!

Regards,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The original, uncut version of CCR"s Heard It Through The Grapevine was 12+ minuets but, in the days of vinyl, before NAB carts, tape or digital playlists, when DJs were actually "jockying disks," it afforded them the luxury of a potty break. Add, alone at night and many cups of coffee and you will realize how much airplay it got. On second thought, that may have MADE CCR so gopher it!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" not the short radio version, wasn't it the whole side of their LP? I wore out the grooves on my copy!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Okay, I went back for a second attempt at listening, got as far as 2:30 before the guitar began grating on my nerves. Maybe, if sold with earplugs, it would be a great mosquito repellant. I don't think that I could listen to the whole piece on a double-dare.

This, and all comments from this group, is meant to be constructive, not destructive. To my ears, it has none of the marks of success but, I sincerely hope that you prove us wrong.

Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Quote:

Quote:

Time to hit the sack.

Wait Tim. The song ain't over yet!

LOL. It was for me.
Man I hit those sheets, said good night to the wife and I was out.

Tim

Off-Topic
FLAN Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hey Guys...I'm working on it!

I get it, I get it...( I am thick headed as a pig on ice)...

NO MORE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG SONGS!

...honest

3.5 to 4.5 minutes TOPS!

I love you all!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Someone just pointed out that I have a 5+ minute tune on SoundClick however, that was merely a function of BPM * Number of choruses. I'll be first to admit that it's tiring to listen to.

We have had previous discussions about psycho-acoustics and came to the conclusion that the brain goes into neutral or actually shuts off when fresh stimuli is lacking. A symphony provides a constant variety of audio stimuli so we can listen intently for an hour or more without being mentally and emotionally drained.

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 04/07/12 01:52 PM.
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Quote:

Someone just pointed out that I have a 5+ minute tune on SoundClick however, that was merely a function of BPM * Number of choruses. I'll be first to admit that it's tiring to listen to.

We have had previous discussions about psycho-acoustics and came to the conclusion that the brain goes into neutral or actually shuts off when fresh stimuli is lacking. A symphony provides a constant variety of audio stimuli so we can listen intently for an hour or more without being mentally and emotionally drained.

Don,

But that's a computer generated peace of music. BIAB's good, but not that good.
I think a gifted composer can easily fill up five minutes with music and leave you wanting more.

I was just listening to California by John Mayal
It clocks out at about 9:20. I've probably heard it at least 50 times and always find it interesting.
I don't think the real problem with flan's music was the length, but the sameness of the music all the way through.
Not enough variety and musical hooks to support 8 minutes of music Imo.

Tim

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Tim,

Very true.

Quote:

"Not enough variety and musical hooks to support 8 minutes of music Imo."

I only mentioned 5 minutes, partly because it seems to be an acceptable length in Pop music and partly because it's within our brains tolerance level. Of course someone will cite an obvious exception that I am overlooking. Nothing is etched in stone, especially regarding music. There are nearly infinite variables.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,694
Posts736,131
Members38,545
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
KlaasB, Sid S, Uncle Hemi, KWADWO FRIMPONG, hcginjections2024
38,544 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 174