Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I have searched forums, asked questions and talked to PG support.
I we can discuss this one more time...please share with me you suggestions/comments on display lyrics in Realband during live performance. Although they have served me well, I want to get away from my stacks of binders with lyrics and chords. I am too old to remember dozens of songs! BIAB and Realband are SO great there is got to be a good way to integrate this. I have created many songs in BIAB with line based lyrics. This is great for a lazy man since I can copy and paste from lyric websites. But I really want to tweak my songs in Realband and then use Realband for live performance. But Realband won't copy the line based lyrics from BIAB. The only alternative is to use note based lyrics which to me seems REALLY cumbersome.
I would sincerely appreciate the comments and solutions to this problem from those of you who use BIAB and especially Realband during live performance.

Todd
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
you can take the whole line of lyrics and attach it to the first note of the line. I don't think there is anything that forces one word or syllable to each note. If you get creative you might try it at the bar level - a set of lyrics attached to the first note in a bar.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Veteran
Veteran
Here is how I did it for years:

Several months ago I switched to this for Live Shows

But I think you have been around long enough and knew all this

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Is it feasible for you to move a whole line at a time from the line lyrics to the note lyrics?

As Dave said above, the note based lyric entry does seem to accept an entire line of text at once. You can copy a complete line from the line lyric and then paste it into the lyric entry box. If your melody track is empty, all you need is one note at the middle of the line as the location point for the lyric (which is actually now a whole string of words). In this case, the note based lyric editor will apparently just see the line as one big long word with spaces in it. Then all you need is one note per line (right in the middle of the line) for the "lyric" to align itself with. Just erase the track to remove the notes afterward.

Hitting return after pasting in each line will advance the entry point to the next note, which in this case would be in the middle of the next line. I'm not sure how you initially select a note to locate a lyric with, though.

When each lyric aligns itself with a note, it centers the lyric on the note. Therefor you need the note right in the middle of the line. So for a 4 bar line, that would be bar 2, beat 4, or bar 3, beat 1.

You can also use Edit in the note based button section to open the lyric event list editor. You can then enter a bar and beat number for the middle of the line you want the line of lyric on, and paste the whole line in there.

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
In fact, depending on how you have your lyrics set up now, it might actually go pretty fast. It might be just little more than a copy and paste for each line of lyrics.

Are your line based lyrics now lined up pretty well with each line of bars? And is the the melody track empty?

Mainly I am wondering if you can scroll through notation editor and display one line of text along with one line of bars, and do that for each line.

Expert
Expert
I know it is a real pain when you have to change a huge number of files to accommodate an improvement in a software program. It has taken me ages to swap all my BB files from Midi to RealTracks and now I may have to look at Super MIDI tracks. However, it was well worth the effort for the superb quality of backing. I was thinking that Note lyrics are so much easier to enter and look so much better on a printed leadsheet or on screen, that it might be better if in the future you swapped from line based to note entry. As you have commented, they do convert to RealBand a lot better. Honestly, it is a much improved system of entering lyrics. Not at all "cumbersome" as you now believe. And, if you can touch type, you can enter all the lyrics without even looking at the screen.

Or you could get your secretary to enter all the lyrics.

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."
Journeyman
Journeyman
This has been a long time problem for me as well. Quite frankly I would be happy to use the memo method you have at the top example. BUT where do I find the memo pad you're using?0. OK I found it. Now how do I pin it to the side of the song file like you have it in your picture above. I have figured out how to enter the lyrics and update, remove the Summary check box check and resize. If I resize and place the memo outside of the biab box along side like you have will it automatically load like that everytime I call up the song again?

Last edited by earl kirby; 08/12/12 09:13 PM.

Dell 610 dual Monitor, win 7-10, Sonar Plat, ProTools 10 & 11, Reaper 4, BIAB/real Band 2022, Easy Drummer, Superior Drummer, Kontact Essentials, Personnel Orchestra, Korg Legacy Analog & Digital
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just played with it and figured it out but I wouldn't have had a clue if you hadn't gotten the thread going and the answers given here didn't lead me in the right direction. I believe that this is going to allow me to finally use this program in a much more usefull way. I expect that I will be able to enter in my lyrics on the side as shown and make my programs much song files much more useful in a live situation.

Thanks again.

Dell 610 dual Monitor, win 7-10, Sonar Plat, ProTools 10 & 11, Reaper 4, BIAB/real Band 2022, Easy Drummer, Superior Drummer, Kontact Essentials, Personnel Orchestra, Korg Legacy Analog & Digital
Journeyman
Journeyman
Sorry to beat a dead horse to death BUT I can't get the layout to save the way I want it to open. When I save the file I have it laid out with the song memo sized correctly and to the right hand side of the biab window. When I close biab and reopen and then reopen the song the song memo is above the chord sheet layout. How do I get it to save the way I want it to and have it come up the same way I have it laid out?

A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
HA!!! Since this topic is about lyrics, I guess it's fair game to ask who thinks jazzmandan's lyrics are correct when he uses "falling leaves" in the 2nd line instead of "AUTIMN leaves. (-:

I don't know what the OFFICIAL lyric is but I vote for Sinatra and Nat King Cole who both sang AUTUMN leaves in the second line!!

I think the song was translated from the original French so maybe that's where the discrepancy has arisen.

NO big deal...just curious what others think.

(-:

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
EEEEE HAAAAW,

Finally had a chance to try Meg's suggestion and it works beautifully!

Todd
Expert
Expert
I always thought the correct solution was to move from line based to note lyrics. Certainly, with any new tunes you enter, it is the best way. I don't really have the same on-screen need as yours but I did try converting some of my old BB tunes - without as much success as you are having.

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Quote:

EEEEE HAAAAW,

Finally had a chance to try Meg's suggestion and it works beautifully!

I was wondering what you did to solve the problem so I looked through this whole thing trying to see who "Meg" was. LOL

Glad to hear it worked well!

Quote:

I always thought the correct solution was to move from line based to note lyrics. Certainly, with any new tunes you enter, it is the best way. I don't really have the same on-screen need as yours but I did try converting some of my old BB tunes - without as much success as you are having.

In this case, an entire line of line based lyrics is being copied into the note based lyrics as if it were a single word. The note based lyric entry system will apparently accept a long string of characters, including spaces, as if it were a single word. It uses an "enter" or "tab" to separate one word from the next. So a whole line of words can be entered, followed by an "enter". The spaces between the words are simply treated as other characters in the lyric "word" (which they are, actually). This whole "lyric" is then aligned with a single note, which is placed wherever the lyric line needs to appear. There are no actual melody notes, just one note per line for positioning the lyric.

The lyrics are still in the form of a line of text, and are not note based in the sense that that each word or syllable is associated with a note. But they are still note based and will show up in Real Band, for example.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,710
Posts736,311
Members38,550
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ricki Susic, kcowmusic, guylamar2006, John Hunt, Oraus
38,549 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176