Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi,
Just received my Everything Pak on HD.

I had to pay an additional 46.49 British pounds to UPS for customs clearance.
I guess I will be updating by download only from now on.

George

P.S. Just checked GBP to USD = 74.8779 USD

Last edited by George Nelson; 12/11/12 09:31 AM.

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

Veteran
Veteran
Well won't be buying this year but in last two years I belive £13 or so for hard drive when they delivered.

I would check this if I were you,

1 what price did PG put on customs declaration as regards value of delivery?
2 I think its 20% vat plus a delivery charge on our side.

I would be interested to know how they worked it out, maybe you might repost the info as to how its worked out a warning to us on this side of the pond users.

Thanks
Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi musiclover,

Costs are as follows:

PG Music value 184 USD = 114.172 GBP

Duties 35.49 GBP

Other Government Charge 11.00 GBP

Total 46.49 GBP

I will call UPS tomorrow to find out how they arrive at this figure.

I do know that when it was an other company that used to deliver, the cost was very reasonable( 17 pounds)

Regards
George

Veteran
Veteran
I feel for you George, and the thing is if you had done the download if you wanted a portable drive you could probably have bought a 500gb drive for not much more.

I have 2 drives from PG now and one dvd mid year upgrade, to be honest I think they were good enough to put a fair value on the stuff that I got in the past, keeping my duties low here in N Ireland.

Anyways George enjoy this years upgrade.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
I used to import software from the USA. This was a fairly major supplier, and we agreed that there was no value in the software as such, so the bill was made out for support, 1 year at x, and the media for the software, ie. 5 diskettes at 2.40$ each for example. This kept records straight, and I did not incur what was, at the time, a huge hit. Now anything made in the US has zero duty coming or going from Canada, Free Trade. Includes Mexico also. But if it is Japanese or European there might be. Canada and the UK normally would have free trade, that baffles me somewhat. I thought Commonwealth trading partners got a free ride. That should be looked into. However, most clearing houses know the rules.

My mother's ancestor, as far back as we go on Islay Scotland was a tax collector. Excise man. Came to Canada with recipes for stuff to ward off the chill and such. Good medicine. Some called it scotch. My Grandfather called it a tonic. Three at night and one at lunch. Even the presbyterian minister had his own made up. A bit of sugar or something put in it later, 1.5 oz a dose. 2 doses every 3 hours if you were down with a cold. Apparantly my aunt was sick in bed with the doctor on Sunday and 9 months later they had a baby. Confusing as I'll get out. That kid was a girl and became a doctor and married one. They are so poor to hear them tell it. Can't find a decent ski resort in Canada, and are forced to travel to Austria. Such a shame. Long way to go to break a limb.

I think a trip to N Ireland is in order. I 'd like to find a weekend without rain perhaps.

Well, I'm on my bike so to speak, perhaps a stout before bed would be the ticket. Winter beer, black as Toby's..never mind.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Yup, I agree, George but then I thought how long would it take me to download the Band-in-a-Box Everything PAK Upgrade. 2 maybe 3 hours, with my internet connection, and having to be close to the computer to start the next download etc and I then thought differently!
The last I upgraded with a hard drive it was delivered next door, as I was out, and there were NO extra charges, or my neighbour paid them for me and didn't tell me for some reason altho' it cost me beer and mince-pies as he was fascinated by BIAB and I couldn't get rid of him for a few hours

Could you post what UPS say as that would be interesting?

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi,

Just got off the phone with UPS and WOW this is bad news for everyone in the UK.

PG Music don't declare how much the freight costs, so freight has to be added by customs.
This is ...and I don't believe it... 89.8087 USD (converted from 55.65 GBP)

So added to the value of 184 USD another 89.81 USD gets tagged on for freight.

So the new value is 273.81 USD which you have to pay duty on + 11 GBP handling charge.

Be aware....

George

Veteran
Veteran
This is bad news indeed.

So did they say that if PG did disclose the cost of the freight shipping costs on the customs form which is $20 I believe then it would be a lot less duty to pay?

Musiclover

FB Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hello,
Same thing in France. I had to pay 45 € for customs clearance in 2010.
Now, I download the upgrade.
It was UPS too.
FB

Veteran
Veteran
I'm in Warwickshire, UK. UPS hit me for £40.85 comprising £29.85 and £11.00 UPS clearance fee. The courier took the commercial invoice away with her so I couldn't check the PG declared value. I assume it must have been £149.25 including shipping as the duty on this sort of item is 20%. Well, it's not Duty, it's actually a VAT charge. It would be the same if PG shipped Fedex or even Canadian mail, although in the latter case your package would go into the maw of Parcelfarce (aka Royal Mail) here in the UK and they charge £12 clearance fee, and your package wouldn't be actually delivered for another three weeks. I'm not joking- it happened to me a couple of months ago.

I used to order stuff from Amazon.com, and lots of other stuff from the US and never get charged. However, I think that was more by luck. Perhaps couriers are all sharpening their act, I don't know. I will not be buying again like this. Next year I will have to sit and download everything between the hours of midnight and 8am when my ISP (Plusnet) charges zero.

What does the US and Canada charge for such imports the other way? I suggest they respond in kind and start a full scale tariff war - whack all EU imports with 20% duty.

Some companies, (e.g. I know Cakewalk used to do it), bulk ship/assemble in the Irish Republic (EU member)when a new release takes place. I think Apple do something similar with hardware? All shipments to EU countries are then free of duties and VAT and therefore free of a handling charge, so totally free to the recipient.

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi musiclover,

UPS said that because PG Music hadn't declared the Freight cost then the Customs office add their estimate.

I would think that if PG Music did declare the freight costs then Yes it would be cheaper.

Ah well.. At least I got the Upgrade

George

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi skyline,

You would think that UPS would charge us both the same.

You saved 6 pounds on my costs

Something a bit off there.

Just had a thought, maybe they add for travel to Scotland.

George

Veteran
Veteran
George, I had the Ultraplus Pak and you had the 'Everything'. I guess that's the difference.
I still feel I took it up the tailpipe though...

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Journeyman
Journeyman
I paid about $45 for import cost, over the $25 PG Shipping fee.

At our download speeds (and I have what is termed "high speed" ADSL , only managing 2-3mbs at best, I will not even attempt it. Only started such an attempt once about 2 years ago, and it has seriously grown in size since then.

I have decided to just pay Caeser (even if he had no hand in this) and save myself the agony of watching a download to South Africa.

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

Veteran
Veteran
We're fortunate here in Oz (at the moment) as we don't pay extra on imported items under $1000.00 (except alcohol & tobacco products). However the Australian retailers are lobbying the government to take the level to zero. We have a 10% GST(goods & services tax) for products puchased in Australia, but it doesn't apply to goods brought in. Hence the retailers do not have a level playing field.

Cheers,
Keith
F
Apprentice
Apprentice
F
My BIAB 2013 arrived via FEDEX today. No additional spondulicks. Thanks PGMusic.

I know we should not talk about these things here but really Keith the retailers are whinging but if they reduced their excessive prices that still often assume the US dollar is worth only AU 80 to 90 cents instead of 104 cents then they can starting arguing about a level playing field in my book. Most of them are still using an old sales model.

Last edited by FrankK; 12/12/12 08:12 PM.
Expert
Expert
It looks like we Aussies all had an early Christmas present. My Audiophile Edition on a USB drive also arrived today. It came by UPS Express Delivery for which they only charged me A$24.87. No taxes or duties. All-up delivered to the door (I live a long way from the airport) A$222.80, which I believe is very good value for money.

Right now with the high Aussie dollar, it is very cost effective for Aussies to buy from Canada, U.S.A. & UK etc. However, I feel the freight companies are starting to take advantage of the situation and push up their charges. I cancelled several internet shopping baskets of late because I noticed the very high freight charges from the US before I had finally committed to the sale

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

My BIAB 2013 arrived via FEDEX today. No additional spondulicks. Thanks PGMusic.

I know we should not talk about these things here but really Keith the retailers are whinging but if they reduced their excessive prices that still often assume the US dollar is worth only AU 80 to 90 cents instead of 104 cents then they can starting arguing about a level playing field in my book. Most of them are still using an old sales model.

Hi Frank,
Yep, I agree. I was not supporting their cause, just trying to let those oustside of Oz know about it.

Enjoy your BIAB 2013 - mine took as long to get from Sydney to the 'Gong, than it did from Victoria BC to Sydney. But still within about 4 days.

Cheers,
Keith
F
Apprentice
Apprentice
F
Interesting Graham got his delivered by UPS and mine with FEDEX. Looks like it is a customs issue re additional costs. Well we are lucky so far but given our deficit I don't expect this will last too long.

Cheers Keith and Graham - enjoy the great Xmas version of BIAB 2013.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello,

Thank you very much for the warning about these charges.

I am in UK as well, was just about to order the ultra pak upgrade drive, but now have had second thoughts and will leave it until customs form declaration has been sorted out.

Thanks again
Jan

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,663
Posts735,564
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 163