Go To
#185115 12/17/12 10:36 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Harpo Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi All

I just responded to a new BIAB buyer/user who just purchased the BIAB Audiophile Edition.
I've been eyeballing this option for some time now, and really haven't seen many (if any) people posting on the forum any info about these files.

So what I want to know is,
"Are there any people out there who have opted to buy the Audiophile Edition of BIAB?
And those who have,
"What is your experience? Have you purchased the compressed files in the past and were not satisfied, Is there a drastic difference in sound quality between the two, are they easier to work with within RealBand or other DAW's out there, etc?"

It would really be awesome if PG Music had some sound demos to show the quality difference between the two for us to hear. Maybe they woud get more people to buy that particular edition if we could actually "hear" the advantages.

So the next best thing is to hear from you "Audiophiles" who have purchased it, and hear your views (the pros and cons, if any).

Can anyone convince me to buy into it?

Harpo

It's not what you're "Playing", It's what you're "Saying"!
Harpo #185116 12/17/12 11:35 AM
A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
I haven't purchased the audiophile version and would have no use for it but just a couple of thoughts.

Most importantly, the quality of the OUTPUT of sound has a LOT to do with the equipment used to produce that output.

I am certain that PG could provide statistics on the amount of DATA generated by the audiophile version vs. standard. But that would only describe what data is PRESENT...and would have nothing to do with what data anyone's system is capable of PRODUCING.

Having been in a LOT of recording studios in my life, I guarantee you that there is a STUNNING difference between how the SAME musical data sounds when produced via different combinations of amps/speakers.

Trust me...a lot of recording engineers sort of laugh in their sleeves when mixing/mastering music on rigs costing twenties of thousands of dollars MINIMUM when they know that a lot of that music will be listened to on car stereo systems or cheap in-home systems. Heck...one German company offers an Ipod speaker system for FOUR GRAND!!!!

And high end audiphile sound systems can cost WAY more than $100K!!!! So listening to audiophile music over inexpensive systems is sort of the opposite of "garbage in--garbage out."

(-:

So my own personal take is that unless you are producing music for commercial release and/or are able to listen to your BIAB files on a VERY high end stereo system AND you have very highly critical hearing, then you just won't HEAR the enhanced data contained on the audiphile version.

Just my 2 cents.

Best,
Jim

Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Jim. The average ear will not hear any difference...

Cheers,
Mike

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
MikeK #185118 12/18/12 06:24 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi Harpo,

I can't really help answer your question at this point in time because UPS has screwed me around good and proper and STILL not delivered my shipment of BIAB, so I'm unable to give you any feedback on the Audiophile edition. However, if you go back FOUR pages on this same forum, you will find my original thread titled "Confusion over compressed files vs un-compressed files". It's the THIRD thread down from the top. Peter Gannon is the the first thread on the same page.

It may be worthwhile having a look at my first thread, because several members here kindly explained how the two file types (compressed and un-compressed) differ from each other, and how in the main, most people would never be able to tell the difference between the two, and how the quality of your recordings depends a lot on the quality of the gear one uses, more than the different file type. It's worth reading.

Like you, I would have liked to have heard demos from both the Regular edition as well as the Audiophile edition prior to my purchase, just so I could tell from my own personal audio perspective if I could actually detect any difference between the two, but there was no demos offering a comparison, so, I weighed up the knowledgeable information given to me by the other members, and made my purchase. For personal reasons, I needed to commit to purchasing one edition or the other by the end of this year. So, in the end, I simply chose to buy the Audiophile edition.

I'm sure there are a number of members here who have either the Audiophile or the Regular edition, or have had experience with using both. I sincerely hope a few of those members can chime in and help answer your initial question regarding the Pros and Cons of each edition or their comparison from personal use.

All the best,
Dome

EDIT: Before I asked the forum members here what the difference between the two file types was, I sent an e-Mail to PG sales and asked them this same question, but didn't hear back from them for several days, so I decided to ask my question here on the forum. When PG Sales eventually got back to me, the answer I got from two of the sales team (they answered my message twice) was ..."The un-compressed files sound better". Still very difficult trying to make an informed decision with an answer like that and no demos comparing the two file types.

Last edited by Dome; 12/18/12 06:44 AM.

BIAB Audiophile, Reaper, Kontakt Full Edition, Roland A90-EX Master Controller MIDI keyboard, Windows 7 x64
Dome #185119 12/18/12 08:39 AM
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Consider the following analogy:

When you print a document out on a laser printer it looks sharp with no artifacts around the edges of text. That`s the uncompressed first-generation version. When you make a photocopy of that page it generally looks very good but a keen eye will distinguish the difference. That`s the compressed second-generation version. If you were to photocopy the copied page you would begin to see noticeable artifacting. You are essentially compressing an already compressed version, making it third-generation.

When you play music through BIAB using the compressed version you are hearing high quality second-generation audio. When you save that music as a MP3 or WMA file you are recompressing the compressed files, giving you third-generation audio. If you futher manipulate the music in a DAW and save it out again, you are compressing it even further.

Still, as Jim and Mike point out most people can not tell the difference.

When deciding on which edition to purchase, the driving consideration should be 'What is the intended purpose of the generated tracks?'

If your tunes are backing tracks for gigging or jamming with, or background music for videos, then the compressed version is completely adequate, in my opinion. If your needs are more professional, such as charging people to make demos, you should buy the Audiophile version.

If you plan on editing the tracks in a DAW then you would benefit from the uncompressed tracks of the Audiophile because there is more `headroom` in the files for the nuances of musical overtones and such. Naturally you would work in the realm of WAV as much as possible. (For the record, WAV files themselves are compressed and the concerns around recompression exist here, too.) CD quality is 16-bit, 44.1 KHz but modern recording is now done at 24-bit, 192 KHz to allow for more manipulation without artifacting.

"The un-compressed files sound better" is an accurate but lazy response. IMHO the response should be "The un-compressed files are higher quality samples better suited for further audio editing." Or something like that.

- Walter

BIAB 2016, build 427, i7-2600k, 10 GB RAM.
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
If you want to buy it just for your own listening pleasure, I would think the Audiophile is overkill. I bought it first time for 2013 now. I am busy producing an album and will use mainly the accoustic guitar from realband for this.

Maybe it is just my imagination, but I think it makes a huge difference. When audio is compressed, the high end is usually lost, or at least impacted more severely than the mids.

Accoustic guitars are usually mixed in a busy rock mix by taking the bottom out, and even the mids, to make place for the vocals. What you are left with is the highs. So, all you end up with in a rock mix is the highs - exactly those areas that has been lost when the waves are compressed as wmv.

When I got my audiphile disc, I dropped the new files into my songs, and had to re-adjust all my mixes again.

So, yes, in my opinion, it does make a difference.

Last edited by Sepheritoh; 12/19/12 08:15 AM.
Harpo Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Sepheritoh,

I'm sure there's a difference or they wouldn't be available as a separate option from PG Music, but I wonder if it comes down to the individuals expertise as an engineer/mixer that would allow the compressed tracks to sit in the mix as well as the uncompressed tracks.

Which brings us to "samples". Are they not compressed as well?
Samples are used almost as much as live sounds these days in music production and they seem to not have any derogatory effect on the mix as far as sound is concerned. Something to think about.

What do you think?

I still wish i could hear them side by side.

Harpo

It's not what you're "Playing", It's what you're "Saying"!
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Maybe it is just my imagination, but I think it makes a huge difference. When audio is compressed, the high end is usually lost, or at least impacted more severely than the mids.

^^^^
This...

The Upper-Mid to Highs sound "edgy", or "washy", especially in the Cymbals & Acoustic Guitar Range, when .wav's are converted to.wma, .mp3 or .ogg or any other "lossy" format. Tho using a higher bit rate "320kb instead of 160kb) helps SOME, the artifacts are still there.

Like has been said, most folks would not even notice, but you would be surprised how many do....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,689
Posts736,026
Members38,541
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
hcginjections2024, carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez, Isrra29
38,540 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176