Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
D
OP Offline
D
New User - using SW40BND style but the brass "hits" in the "Strings" part of the Mixer sound terrible. BIAB support suggested downloading VST or DXi MIDI sampling files to improve the sounds. I found Garrian but that's almost as expensive as BIAB ($120+) - have any others had success with a less expensive set of files? Thanks Michael

Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum from another trumpet player.

Garritan JABB is pretty reasonable when compared to the price of some dedicated horn libraries. I confess I haven't kept up with all the possibilities because writing and recording horn parts is something I do for other artists on their CDs.

Just a comment on the 'strings' part: BIAB has long outgrown the original choices of instrument buttons shown. Styles, both RealStyles of RealTracks and MIDI parts including HQ tracks can be many instruments. Since most songs still have drums and bass etc. these other instruments can often be found on the strings or guitar track, and even piano. Just make a mental note of what's what. [On a hardware mixer, I would use masking tape and a magic marker to make a scribble strip.]

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I just refreshed my memory of your other posts about creating big band tracks to put this thread in context. Here's an idea: are you familiar with loops? There are many brass loop packages out there. BIAB has been able to use loops for a few years. You may already know this, but in case you don't, loops can follow both key changes and tempo changes. One of your other comments was that you didn't like the tempos of the Hal Leonard backing tracks, so this addresses that comment. The downside is they play what they want. If you know how to write your own horn arrangements, then you want to follow the advice in that other thread.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
You can often pick a "strings" pad and get away with it. Even "woodwind" will work.

But "brass"... Not so much. It'll work for fast stuff like stabs, but for anything that holds for a second or two will often sound synthetic and fake. Reverb can help a lot.

But you'll get better results if you can split the chord and assign it to individual instruments. A single "brass" pad won't do the trick.

Even then, if you listen to the JABB demos, you'll hear an emphasis on individual instruments, and not on groups. The sounds work as a pad, but JABB doesn't really have much in terms of dynamics. I think what you hear in the JABB demos are lots of different colors - switching between different instrument groups - rather than expressive dynamics.

There's a reason that good brass libraries cost money - there are a lot of articulations and expressiveness that needs to be captured. And it won't come free, once you get the library - you need to tweak each line to get things to work.

So the short answer is: I don't think you're going to find a single "patch" that will solve the problem.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
D
OP Offline
D
Hi Matt - thanks for remembering my challenge. So yep, I bought the MegaPak and have got a good chord sequence for Lullaby in Birdland - that's my model piece to learn on. I've got the whole thing down with tempo, styles, key and getting HiQ Midi, but unfortunately, the brass doesn't have that yet (according to BIAB today).
I must admit that I am not familiar with brass loops - where would I find such? Also, unfortunately, I do not have the ability to write horn arrangements. Can I take the brass accompinament that comes with BIAB and split it into solo instruments?

Veteran
Veteran
In BIAB you can save MIDI harmony parts to separate tracks to take into a notation program and hand out as parts to players. RealTracks that have notation are shown with an underline of the green instrument name.

Since you are not familiar with loops, take a look at this one that I know can work in BIAB. Caution, the demo (left) includes solos by real players mixed in with the rhythm and horn parts; wish they hadn't done that because the loops by themselves are quite good. This example is Big Fish loops of Latin Jazz, but there are tons of loops out there.

http://www.bigfishaudio.com/Latin-Jazz-by-Peter-Michael-Escovedo

Veteran
Veteran
Doc, if you google/bing free brass vsti you will see a number of free ones. I can not vouch for how they sound but you may find something that you like there.

Also the free FSZ+ Professional is a soundfont vst that you can load free soundfonts (SF2). You may find some good brass SF2s there also. These are old technology and I haven’t used SF2s in years so I can not vouch for them either. But then again you may find something that will fit, especially as has been said before you stay away from the brass ensembles.

Good luck.

I just posted a selfie and all of the responses were get well soon!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Doc,

This has been a problem for a long time. Midi sounds terrible because it's synths and oscillators trying to imitate a horn. That never sounds good.

The better stuff is the sampled libraries. Unfortunately, the free stuff mentioned.... SFZ+ and the sound fonts that are free, are old technology and very often still don't sound much better than the midi patches. I too, used to use SFZ and fonts quite a bit. Many of the free ones didn't work or sound right so I stopped using them many years ago.

Over the years I have purchased a few really good products. Native Instruments Kontakt is a must have synth for general purpose music composition. It is sold by itself and also bundled in a collection of synths called Komplete. NI makes a bunch of packages of sampled sounds, including Session Horns

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/orchestral-cinematic/session-horns/

In addition, a number of third party companies make 100% compatible sample libraries for the Kontakt player. I've picked up a few of these in the $20 each price range. Better than midi....and they sound reasonably good.
I recommend Kontakt as the first step into the better quality synths that will do the job required. Lots of guys doing film & TV stuff use this synth as their go-to synth ... it's that good.
It's not free, and it's not the cheapest out there but it is a workhorse of the industry and for good reason.... it does a great job.

Kontakt is actually on the lower end of the price spectrum with sampling synths. I've seen quite a few really nice sounding sample library synths that are several thousand dollars each. Too rich for me.

Back to the lower end......

I have Sonar X1 and use these as plug ins.....

Currently, Cakewalk has DimLE and GPO for $50 for both.... they also have SFZ+ and Square 1 totally free.

http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/category.aspx?categoryID=39&cat=39

Spend some time using google and Bing to search for free fonts and samples.... you may find something useable. I used to spend time looking for free stuff and I found a bunch on KVR.

http://www.kvraudio.com/

Most was not really much better than a good midi patch, and a large percentage was worse or didn't work right.

Good luck searching.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/13/13 06:51 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Michael, I agree with Herb that Kontakt is the best. That along with SampleModeling instruments will give you the most natural sounding brass sounds. But they each cost considerably more than JABB, as do all good sounding MIDI VSTis or synth hardware.

If you are thinking you can take a BiaB brass MIDI track and use a good sounding brass VSTi that you will get a realistic sounding brass section you will be disappointed. In order to get good sounding MIDI tracks you must know how to use MIDI. Continuous Controller (CCs) and pitch bend are a must to obtain good sounding tracks. Even those old formats, especially if used as stabs, may be acceptable to you if you use CCs and pitch bend. Sorry for the redundancy if you already know this.

The bottom line is more money along with a working knowledge of MIDI will yield the best sounding MIDI tracks.

I just posted a selfie and all of the responses were get well soon!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
One thing I like to do is hang out in other music forums as well as here.

The Cakewalk forum is a great place to hang out and learn things, and since I use Sonar, it's a natural. In the cakewalk forum, there is a sub forum called SOFTWARE. I like to drop in there every so often and read the postings. That is where people discuss the latest and the greatest new offerings from various companies....

It was in such a posting that I was able to pick up a FREE copy of one of the East West synths with a limited but excellent sample library. E/W is one of the better sample libraries out there and they are priced above Kontakt. I could not believe EWQL was giving that thing away, but they certainly did because it came from their web site. It didn't last long before they took the offer away. You have to be paying attention and act quickly on some of the deals.

Just this morning I found 2 FREE sample libraries for the Kontakt player... drum loops and heavy guitar all sampled.... I may never use them but then again, I just might.

I have discovered other cool freebies in this same forum. Plug ins for mastering, and samples..... all sorts of things and of course, the "No-Brainer" deals on VSTi's and FX..... super low crazy prices..... all the good inside scoop.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Doc, I'm guessing here so don't be offended if I'm wrong. It sounds like you're not just a noob with Biab, you're also a noob with digital audio recording in general.

Your question comes up all the time with folks who are new to this stuff. "Why can't I get a better sounding (fill in the blank), this midi stuff sounds terrible". Midi by itself is not terrible. Midi is not sound, it's merely computer commands telling a synthesizer what to play. The sound is coming from the synth, not midi itself or Biab itself.

The short answer is money. You have to think of this hobby like any other hobby. How much does it cost to fly model airplanes? How about golfing once a week? Maybe water skiing or cabinet making? Anything people do as a hobby costs thousands in equipment, floor space, transportation, trailers, whatever.

It's the same thing here. Good, pro quality software and home recording equipment costs real money. Here's the full Komplete 9 package from Native Instruments for example. Note the Ultimate package that includes Session Horns is a cool thousand:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.p...CFYt_Qgod9DsAdA

This is merely one package from one company. There's many others. Good sounds cost real money. You can also buy a hardware synth like my Kurzweil PC3. The new K series with on board sampling is selling for about three grand.

You get what you pay for. If you're a casual hobbyist and you get your head out of the clouds you can get pretty decent sounds for say $400 by using the Ketron SD2 hardware sound module or a lower cost software VST. IK Multimedia's Sampletank is a good place to start. The basic player with some sounds is free and is included with Biab 2013. The extra sound libraries are on sale all the time especially around Christmas so you could have a pretty nice setup for a few hundred bucks. Is that going to satisfy you? Depends on your ears and your budget.

After getting this set up you still have to learn how to use it. There's whole books written on that subject. Lots of very good info is right at your fingertips. It's called Google.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks Matt - these sound really great - good enough for me to go with. I now understand what is meant by horn loops - I'm on my way again. So much to learn! Thanks again

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,788
Posts737,348
Members38,582
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
trumpet man, Harlow Davis, limelitevibe, Nickolas, philou33
38,581 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 171