Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
bnwitt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well I purchased the 2013 Audiophile version of BB near the end of 2013 because I wanted a full quality uncompressed audio experience and then after the new year the 2014 version came out with it's new real tracks. Now I'm narrowly focused on a particular genre of music and don't need or want all of the new real track packages so I purchased just the program upgrade and the one real track package I needed. After installing the pack I find out that what I received was only compressed wma files. I'm told by PG Music that in order to get the uncompressed wav files to match what I already have, I have to pay the $299 audiophile upgrade price and receive another hard drive. Now that is just ridiculous. I don't want all the other junk that comes with that upgrade. I just want to maintain my uncompressed bb quality format that I originally paid for when I buy additional real tracks. This is totally bogus of PG Music and has turned me off of what otherwise is a great product. I think I may have purchased my last upgrade and PGM product.

Last edited by bnwitt; 03/23/14 10:00 AM.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Welcome to the forum.

It is true that upgrading the audiophile version will cost more than upgrading the regular version. One problem is the sheer size of the files that must be sent, making download not much of an option and a hard drive a good solution for the full set. I'm guessing that most of us who have the audiophile version bought it for commercial use and value having the choices of all the RealTracks, as you never know what track will unexpectedly sound great even if it isn't in the 'correct' style.

Did you ask PG Music if they could supply you with a DVD or perhaps a flash drive? I would be curious to know more about who you spoke with and exactly what they said. I'm not disputing your statement, though; it may be that making custom update packages for the audiophile version is not something they are prepared to do. My suggestion is to ask again and see if you can work something out on another media.

I also want to make sure you are aware that PG Music does make patches available for the audiophile version via download, for free, when it updates RealTracks. Watch for an audiophile-specific patch about a week after the regular patches are announced.

In general, PG Music is the finest company for customer service I have ever encountered. Please try again, and let us know how you make out.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
bnwitt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Matt,
Thanks for the kind reply and your suggestions. I was told by an online chat operator that the only way to get uncompressed files of the real tracks was to choose the audiophile to audiophile upgrade. I am using the program for professional work but I'm afraid that $300 a year for an upgrade (especially so few months after the initial purchase) is not what I consider a fair price for a program like bb. I know that the cost of the hard drive is what is driving that price but there are certainly other ways to deliver the content that are much cheaper. I would be willing to pay a little more for a DVD or Blu-Ray disc of the real tracks I want, but that option is evidently not available. My genre is very narrow and paying for other tracks in genres I will never use is not something I'm going to do.

By the way, have you ever stayed at a Marriott or Ritz Carlton hotel? I think you'd find the customer service of those two companies is head and shoulders above that of PGM. I can name lots of other companies which have customer service that far exceed PGM's in this instance for sure. This marketing setup is all about profit and does not even consider customer service. I'll be moving on to another method of making my demo backing tracks after I've gotten my $800 out of this version of the software. Lord, $800 in less than a year! I can't believe I fell for this. Well PGM, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I'll not be had twice that's for sure.

Last edited by bnwitt; 03/23/14 11:14 AM.
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Bnwitt, I feel your pain. That is indeed a lot of money to spend.

A few points,

1 Looking back do you think it would have been wiser for you to go for the cheaper compressed ultra pak version?

2 do you know that PG has a sale every December, you could have picked up the 14 upgrade for $199 I believe.

3 How near 2014 did you buy the 13 version as I believe if its within 30 days of the new 2014 release which was near start of December then as far as I am aware they would give you a free upgrade to 2014.

4 I do see your point about Pgmucic's customer service. Please remember that every customer has different experience with them and a lot of users on here would swear that they are brilliant in this regard.

Speaking for myself I find them ok. Did contact them by phone a few times and the person I spoke to (which will remain nameless) was in my opinion unhelpful and didn't sort out the problem or make an honest effort (in my opinion)to do so for me, I would rather not have any contact with that person again if I required help.

Saying that one person is not the company and if you are on the forums often then you will find that Dr Peter Gannon who is CEO of PG music will reply often to users and is the most helpful person you would ever find.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 03/23/14 02:09 PM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Marriot, sure, but I couldn't generalize from any one experience to the whole company.

Please call PG Music. Ask to speak with Andrew, or even Dr. Gannon. It's worth double-checking the info you got in a chat.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
S
Expert
Expert
S
I have the Audiophile version also and in the past years have ask them to have Audiophile RT Sets on DVD or flash drive but nothing ever happened, you are forced to have the wma files.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: bnwitt
Matt,
Thanks for the kind reply and your suggestions. I was told by an online chat operator that the only way to get uncompressed files of the real tracks was to choose the audiophile to audiophile upgrade. I am using the program for professional work but I'm afraid that $300 a year for an upgrade (especially so few months after the initial purchase) is not what I consider a fair price for a program like bb. I know that the cost of the hard drive is what is driving that price but there are certainly other ways to deliver the content that are much cheaper. I would be willing to pay a little more for a DVD or Blu-Ray disc of the real tracks I want, but that option is evidently not available. My genre is very narrow and paying for other tracks in genres I will never use is not something I'm going to do.

By the way, have you ever stayed at a Marriott or Ritz Carlton hotel? I think you'd find the customer service of those two companies is head and shoulders above that of PGM. I can name lots of other companies which have customer service that far exceed PGM's in this instance for sure. This marketing setup is all about profit and does not even consider customer service. I'll be moving on to another method of making my demo backing tracks after I've gotten my $800 out of this version of the software. Lord, $800 in less than a year! I can't believe I fell for this. Well PGM, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I'll not be had twice that's for sure.

bnwitt, you will find some folks around here who are die-hard PG fans! maybe they have had such excellent service that this praise is well-deserved! my personal experience has not been that however! I purchased BIAB in fall of 2012 at full price and just a couple months later they released a new version at a discounted price MUCH less than what I had just paid. given that I had just paid significantly more than the new December price I kinda figured they would give me a break on the upgrade price and several regulars here on the forum were also very certain they would be willing to cut me a deal if I just give them a call.

well, I called several times and spoke with a young lady who was not very nice and actually a bit condescending to me. she was also quite slow in getting back to me. when she finally did get back to me she had come up with a deal but when I went to download the upgrade I found she had left out all of the upgrades to the RealTracks when I was clearly intending to get a full upgrade to what I had bought a couple of months prior! I got back in touch with her and after more "discussions" we finally arrived at an upgrade I would purchase that included everything to upgrade my previous purchase. but I still paid a large penalty by buying in the fall what would be released at a much lower price two months later!

don't get me wrong...I love the product! it does some amazing things and I sometimes feel I simply cannot live without it! and the PG folks on this forum, including Peter Gannon, seem very nice and helpful. and I can even concede that a company has the right to charge whatever they want for an upgrade regardless of when you bought the product.

but the experience I had with PG customer service does not jive with the reports of excellent service I sometimes hear on these forums!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 03/24/14 03:57 AM.
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
cant give any input to your price query but Im sure if you got through to the right person they might be able to help you..regarding customer service Ive had excellent service from at least four different people Im sure Peter Gannon wouldnt be to happy if someone at their customer service end was unhelpful.

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
Veteran
Veteran
To me customer service is always making the customer happy. It ain't easy to do. Some customers expectations are not reasonable - but good customer service finds a negotiable point to make a sale and keep a satisfied customer.

In my case, I can tell you I have spoken with sales at PG and I did not come away happy. So just to keep it real here, there are many stories to be told.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
I can not speak to anyone else's experience with PG or their customer service except my own.

I have always found the customer service to be of more than acceptable to exemplary depending on who you are speaking with.

In one instance, I bought an upgrade and somehow managed to order the wrong (lesser) upgrade. I called support and the lady I spoke with said , oh yeah, you got the wrong one, you should have ordered that one.... then she said, the price difference is $29 and we'll get the hard drive update version out the door today. I asked about returning the DVD's and she said, oh....don't worry about that, just keep them. The new hard drive arrived in a day or two.

Tech support is also excellent. I've always had a satisfying experience in solving a problem or answering a question both on chat and on the phone.

For most instances, I do prefer the phone since it's easier to get more accomplished in a shorter time.

As far as the quality of the tracks...... I do not have the audiophile version. I have heard, however, the work from a number of folks who DO have the audiophile version and to be honest, I can not really hear a difference in the quality of their project's sound vs that of my projects using the compressed waves....

I've never had a person comment negatively on the sound quality of the tracks in any of my projects. Actually, quite the opposite. I often get questions concerning who is playing such and such an instrument in my tunes.

just my 2 cents

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/24/14 06:12 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
When I spoke to customer service and was unhappy with the result, I then through email and live help asked to get the email of Dr Gannon so that I could contact him with the problem.

I was informed that there is no email address for Dr Gannon, that emails can only be sent to support or sales and then it will be forwarded to Dr Gannon. To be honest I didn't expect an email to be forwarded as they said, so I didn't go down that route.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: musiclover
When I spoke to customer service and was unhappy with the result, I then through email and live help asked to get the email of Dr Gannon so that I could contact him with the problem.

I was informed that there is no email address for Dr Gannon, that emails can only be sent to support or sales and then it will be forwarded to Dr Gannon. To be honest I didn't expect an email to be forwarded as they said, so I didn't go down that route.

Musiclover

I also tried to email Peter Gannon directly but the email I found on the forum in an old post was no longer valid. And I certainly understand why the head of the company would not be easy to reach. That is just fine! But you will hear a few folks on these forums suggesting you contact the doctor directly as if that is an option! smile It sounds good in a post about customer support but unless it is an official policy of the company, well, YMWV!

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bnwitt
By the way, have you ever stayed at a Marriott or Ritz Carlton hotel? I think you'd find the customer service of those two companies is head and shoulders above that of PGM. I can name lots of other companies which have customer service that far exceed PGM's in this instance for sure. This marketing setup is all about profit and does not even consider customer service.

I have a friend who was a consultant to the Ritz for many years and actually co-wrote the template for their customer service model. It is indeed the gold standard, which very few meet, or even aspire to. It is fitting for a company which has uniquely branded itself.

PG Music's customer service is head and shoulders above anyone I know of in the software business. Who else in this industry offers a money-back guarantee? Who else is so easy to get in touch with? You have to have been around the product and the forums for a while, but who else is so responsive in terms of fixing bugs and adding mods? I know of a case in which the feature request of a single customer was implemented within 48 hours and made available to everyone. Who else, short of an enterprise-level application, does that?

I mentioned the Ritz Carlton's uniqueness above. BIAB is also unique. There is nothing else that performs its core functions, and so much else as well, at any price. I agree with you that making Audiophile Style and Instrument sets is a good idea. Approached diplomatically, you might indeed find PG responsive to your suggestion. However, I find it interesting that while you appreciate great service and have taken advantage of Band-In-A-Box, you are willing to trash PG's service in your first post on these forums before a community of which you are the newest of new members.

You don't know me at all, so you'll have to trust me when I say that I ask this with the utmost respect: Are you the kind of customer to whom someone would want to render first-rate service? I don't know how you approached whomever you spoke with; if it was calm and polite, then there is no issue. If not, ask yourself how you can best present your case.

I have two suggestions. First (if you haven't already) is to post your issue as a suggestion in the BIAB Wishlist forum. It does get read and, as I said earlier, PG is very responsive. That's not a guarantee that it will be honored, but it's the proper way to begin. The second would be polite persistence. Don't give up until you've exhausted all alternatives--and you haven't. Get other people on your side and keep on until you meet a definite "no." Just a thought.

Sincerely,

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Richard, congratulations on a well presented and accurate case. I certainly endorse all of your comments, and appreciate the way you have accurately articulated your points.

I have had little direct dealing with PGM, but have always found them to be courteous and obliging. I've contacted technical support several times and reported operational problems, and always got a 'thanks for letting us know' response.

They have done me a few favors too, above and beyond what I might expect. It's a two-way street.

I do hope others with less positive feelings might take your comments on-board.

Regards

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Posted by Ryszard

"However, I find it interesting that while you appreciate great service and have taken advantage of Band-In-A-Box, you are willing to trash PG's service in your first post on these forums before a community of which you are the newest of new members"

Bnwitt, Just in case I forgot to say in my previous post "welcome to the forum" you are very welcome here indeed, its nice to see that you have taken the time to post, relating your experience and giving some feedback on your experience and what you expect for your hard earned money, I for one appreciate your views and I can well understand how you feel, spending so much as you did, and then having to fork out so much again so soon for an upgrade.

As a newcomer your were probably not aware of the sale in December.

Did the sales assistant take any time or trouble to explain to you, what your initial purchase would entail and what would be the best cheapest way for you to keep your initial purchase current. It seems not from my reading of your post.

I hope Bnwitt that you enjoy your time with your biab and there are a lot of very helpful users on here who will answer any questions you might have.

smile

Musiclover

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Bnwitt, I agree with Musiclover. Welcome to the forums and feel free to share your experiences, positive or negative. You don't have to drink the koolaid to be a part of the conversation! laugh

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Bnwitt, I agree with Musiclover. Welcome to the forums and feel free to share your experiences, positive or negative. You don't have to drink the koolaid to be a part of the conversation! laugh

Agreed! I like that, it is a phrase used here in the past and often well fitting. However, we do need to focus on the positive virtues of BIAB. It is indeed a fantastic program if you stay focused on the music. I have given up "grippin and crabin" for Lent.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>> Well I purchased the 2013 Audiophile version of BB near the end of 2013 because I wanted a full quality uncompressed audio experience and then after the new year the 2014 version came out with it's new real tracks. Now I'm narrowly focused on a particular genre of music and don't need or want all of the new real track packages so I purchased just the program upgrade and the one real track package I needed. After installing the pack I find out that what I received was only compressed wma files. I'm told by PG Music that in order to get the uncompressed wav files to match what I already have, I have to pay the $299 audiophile upgrade price and receive another hard drive. Now that is just ridiculous. I don't want all the other junk that comes with that upgrade. I just want to maintain my uncompressed bb quality format that I originally paid for when I buy additional real tracks. This is totally bogus of PG Music and has turned me off of what otherwise is a great product. I think I may have purchased my last upgrade and PGM product.
=======================

I'm sorry to hear that we don't have the right upgrade product for you. Updating the AudioPhile version by DVD's isn't practical, since it is about 70GB, which would become about 7 DVD's when compressed. That might work, but then you need to have 70 GB available on your existing hard drive, and unfortunately they don't have that much free space on them. So we have the Audiophile upgrade available as a new Hard Drive.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
S
Expert
Expert
S
"Now I'm narrowly focused on a particular genre of music and don't need or want all of the new real track packages so I purchased just the program upgrade and the one real track package I needed"

I buy the Audiophile HD every year and the program update mid year, I don't buy any RT sets unless I really need them as they are, yes wma, so would I wait till the end of the year and get them in the new version,
but if there was an Audiophile RT Sets DVD option that would be a different story.

RealTracks Set 205 : Country Award Winners - Mandolin (Andy), Piano (John) & Resonator Guitar (Rob)
On my Audiophile HD it takes up 4.7gig with the wma, 4.4gig without, plus any DI's, *DI Holds & Holds, would it still fit on a DL-DVD (8.5gig) ?.
So 70gig is that all the tracks in just one Genre like Country RealPAK Volume 10 Sets 200-205 ?

* (DI Holds yes still waiting for them for a few years but that's another Story)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,418
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 97
dcuny 89
rsdean 72
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.