Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Herb, I agree with everything you just posted. I see a lot of me in your remarks.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

I simply enjoy the pleasure of digging down inside of me to find those words and chords that go together, and when it's happening, it's the biggest and best high in the world. Then to hear the finished product... how can it get any better than that?

Same here.

I like it as much as learning a new lick on guitar, or learning a new instrument. Songwriting takes practice, and while it may not make it perfect, it is very enjoyable.

There's a crazy bunch of folks about to embark on what they call 50/90, writing 50 songs in 90 days. Kemmrich might be one of them. http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/

I do the February Album Writing Month challenge, which is 14 songs in 28 days. I had a couple of them this year that I like going back to and listening to. That's success to me.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

There's a crazy bunch of folks about to embark on what they call 50/90, writing 50 songs in 90 days. Kemmrich might be one of them. http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/

I do the February Album Writing Month challenge, which is 14 songs in 28 days. I had a couple of them this year that I like going back to and listening to. That's success to me.

I have seen this and thought about it.... a few years back I did a similar challenge on my own.... it was a 12 month challenge to write 26 songs in that 12 months.... one every 2 weeks. At years and I have over 30 songs and a bunch of cues written. It was fun.

For a different kind of challenge..... go to the TAXI website and have a look at the song listings. Some of them are specific song requests for movies. Some of those actually tell you what is happening in a specific scene in the movie and ask for a song that relates to that scene. There is also a DEADLINE date given. Usually, you have 3 to 5 days to write it and record it. Take that as a challenge and write something that you would submit to that particular listing. Hold yourself to all the particulars, the topic, the genre, the dead line.... and see what happens.

This will get you to start thinking out of the box.

The song RAINY DAY is an prime example. I was a TAXI member at that time, saw the listing, and wrote this song. The deadline was 3 days. I wrote, recorded and submitted it in 3 days. I have since recorded it better. The song was returned since it was not the "indi-rock" genre but ballad-rock according to them..... but the comments about the song included the screener commenting that it was obvious that this was written specifically for the listing and was a good write, but the genre was totally off base from what the film producer wanted.

The point is not what I wrote, but that I took the listing as a challenge and wrote a song for it in the time frame allotted.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I love Nashville. One of my first summer jobs out of high school was at a little record company on Music Row. It's changed a lot - population growth. Never getting the big cut wasn't Nashville's fault - it was my fault for making wrong decisions and I still got close. Lots of opportunities, great people and enough great times there to fill a book. No other place like it. Wish I'd never left but some things we do for people we love and that's okay too.

Josie

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I just do the odd song now for my own enjoyment and to put on youtube. Even on youtube if you are not known, your dog or cat is likely to get more hits. A lot of stuff anyways is driven by social media such as facebook in conjunction with youtube. For example the singing priest that got over 30 million hits on youtube recently was helped greatly by facebook shares.

As regards writing songs and sending them to singers to record or to consider I have totally given up on that. To be honest most of the time there is no response. Even if it is a good song the singer will get all the glory and the songwriter is still a nobody (maybe the exception in the case of a massive hit)

That is not to say if someone heard my song on youtube and wanted to record it, I would say go ahead no problem, wouldn't be too bothered if they made any money out of it either.

As regards the formula for writing a good song I think the old adage still goes, it has got to be simple enough, catchy enough, a nice maybe even simple melodic line, for the guy driving the pickup truck down the road to sing.

As regards doing songwriting courses such as the Pat Patisson course which I have done bits of (and I know is well respected on here) I just consider that pure drudgery and for me totally takes the fun out of writing the song, and I just stopped his course. God knows if he has all the answers then why is he not drowning in hits. That saying he is a lovely guy to listen to and some of his little stories are great. But his course just drove me crazy.On the other hand the music production course by Louden Stearns was a real eye opener for me, couldn't get enough of it, but everyone to their own as people are different.

I do think that eventually some one will make it big because of streetjelly that kind of website, (how's your site coming on Pat if you are reading this?)

Anyways I think the main thing we all try out hand at this is for fun, and other than buying biab and a few other small items I don't throw any money atall at it.

Just my thoughts.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
I do think that eventually some one will make it big because of streetjelly that kind of website, (how's your site coming on Pat if you are reading this?)

I am reading this! wink

It's my son's project... and he is still working on it... but he also works two programming jobs, has a family and plays in a jazz band, so his personal project isn't moving along as quickly as I hoped. Also one of the key programmers at his place of employment quit recently, and my son inherited all his projects, so you know how that affects discretionary time.

He's actually had it ready for Beta testing for months, but he's waiting for a certain server to offer discounted pricing (which they do about twice each year.. last time he missed it by days)

As soon as the server offers another introductory deal, he will put it online and apply the domain name we've already bought... then we can start beta testing. I'm not going to predict when that might be... (I already feel like the boy who cried wolf...)

Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Pat
you hit the nail on the head when you talked about music for film. The record sales market is a thing of the past. The last real bastion for making money from writing music is in the media industry (film, tv etc). It all depends on what youaspire from your music but if you want to make a (real) living then you have to start composing for media. While I am saying this I would totally advise people to avoid sites like Taxi, any site who asks you to pay money to them to be interested in your music is a rip off!!!

Last edited by bupper; 05/12/14 12:59 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bupper
Pat
you hit the nail on the head when you talked about music for film. The record sales market is a thing of the past. The last real bastion for making money from writing music is in the media industry (film, tv etc). It all depends on what youaspire from your music but if you want to make a (real) living then you have to start composing for media. While I am saying this I would totally advise people to avoid sites like Taxi, any site who asks you to pay money to them to be interested in your music is a rip off!!!

Absolutely.

You fine folks here do get to hear the songs I write but you don't hear everything I write. The vast majority of things I write are instrumental cues and short songs.... 1 to 2 minutes. These almost entirely are getting signed and placed into some of the better and top line music library sites for film and TV use. I have 42 cues submitted to a major reality TV show that is, as I write, filming and in production for their next season. I won't hear from that until after the fact.... but that's cool.

This song..... New Grass Lullaby is one of those 42 that I did actually put up here. And it's on some producer's desk right now..... hoping it gets used in the show.

Yes, the chance of getting a cut in TV or film as source or underscore is vastly greater than getting a cut in N-town from anyone, even the artists that have no hope of making it.

Produce radio ready stuff, style it like the music you hear in the reality shows and get it to the screeners for the publishers and perhaps you will get the greenlight to submit. Send in the music and see if they sign it. I get about a 50% or slightly better signing rate on that kind of music. Still, it's not a slam dunk since there are thousands of writers out there with the same goals in mind writing every day, and submitting song after song, and cue after cue.

But I personally do see this as a more easily achieved goal for getting my music into wider distribution.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/12/14 01:19 PM.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

I think it's great you're having success with TV! I personally think that market will soon be overcrowded and difficult to break in and actually make money but there is much more demand so perhaps it will balance out.

@bupper

I am not currently a member but I can assure you TAXI is NOT a ripoff company.

Josie

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
A collaborator of mine (on the classic kids song: Cheez Pizza) at February Album Writing Month is a TAXI member, and has been picked up by some TV shows through TAXI. TAXI actually did a vlog with him back a few months ago. It's actually quite a good vlog as it showcases Steve's incredibly variety in the type of music he writes and records. Steve is very prolific. He's a middle school teacher for his day job and a very clever songwriter/home recordist for a hobbyist. He's gone beyond the amateur phase as a songwriter as he's now got real credits and payments for his writing/recording. Here's the YouTube of that video blog with the guy that runs TAXI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jtWGxE6qeM

Steve practices writing. He probably writes a couple of songs per week, when he's not doing FAWM or 50/90. He has made it become habit.

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I am in agreement with Sundance regarding TAXI and as Herb pointed out, I also use their listings and deadlines to sharpen up my songwriting. I think Taxi is more relevant today than it was several years ago for several reasons. One, it has expanded into film/tv area and generates more placements for members. Second, it is an endless producer of details for song ideas, song construction and motivation to write outside of my normal genre of music.

I have also been playing with the BIAB melodist feature after learning about it from another thread here on the forum. It seems to be a good starting point to jump-start new song ideas. I began two new song ideas using it over this past weekend. It's akin to someone approaching me and asking "Can you write me a song in *** genre about ***".

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Herb,

.....that market will soon be overcrowded and difficult to break in and actually make money but there is much more demand so perhaps it will balance out.......
I am not currently a member but I can assure you TAXI is NOT a ripoff company.

Josie

It's already crowded and the bar has been raised. The music has to be good, well written, and produced and recorded to high standards. There are a few folks who make a living from this niche and a ton of others who supplement their daytime income with music. The money on a cut varies from around $5 for a cut played in a TV show as underscore for 10 seconds, to tens of thousands in a national TV commercial for a major product in an "all in" license deal.

I met a few of the TAXI heavy hitter stars at the LA road rally and yeah, TAXI is for real. The listings are legit. Most folks who don't get forwards are falling short of the mark in one way or another. The songs are either not well written, well recorded, or the wrong genre.... in other words, off target.

I submitted a bunch of songs while a member there and got about the average of 10% forwards. Out of all those I ended up with several signed into a very top tier East coast library. As it turned out the pres of the library signed a number of my songs, including the one that the TAXI screener "returned".

Getting past the "guardians of the gates" is the hardest part of the job. Having said that, while I disagree all the time when I get a song rejected by anyone, the fact of the matter is, most of the time, those folks are professionals. As such, they have heard music and know instantly whether a song has potential or not. They instantly spot the issues that keep the song out of the running. I find myself doing a similar thing as I listen now. I hear issues that keep songs from being commercial. Yeah, the song is good, the person really tried hard, but the reality is that it's just not able to make it over the bar into the professional class. And please don't misunderstand me. This is not putting anyone down. We're all just having fun and writing what we feel.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/13/14 08:32 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
And please don't misunderstand me. This is not putting anyone down. We're all just having fun and writing what we feel.

its also worth noting... given the fact that your comment is posted to the PGMusic web site, but the topic is TAXI... that the two sites are vastly different in terms of purpose. On this site it is the very absence of commercial constraint that allows people to experiment and try new things... so its expected that people aren't writing songs to pass a test

For that reason, the way a song would be evaluated on TAXI should be vastly different than the way it is evaluated here... two different sets of ears, so to speak.

On TAXI the critics look for polish and for how well it met the criteria the project was looking for...

On the User Showcase, the comments revolve more around clever use of the software, whether it make us feel good when we listen, whether the persons skills are improving, etc etc

In a nutshell, this is an INCLUSIVE environment, while TAXI is an EXCLUSIVE environment.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

In a nutshell, this is an INCLUSIVE environment, while TAXI is an EXCLUSIVE environment.

I participate in about 4 different forums. Each one has it's special purpose and a different objective and reason for being.

That's probably a fair way to describe it.However, I've seen plenty of really well spoken and gentle comments over there. They are in fact, focused on the art and skill of song crafting and that is certainly the place to get a relatively unbiased opinion of your song's commercial potential. You don't have to be a registered member of TAXI to participate in the forums. That, I think, is a good thing.

Just like here, they tend to be kind to even the most obviously beginner songwriters. The goal is to help one another excel and learn the craft.

That has gotten me into hot water when for example I offer unsolicited songwriting advice or production advice and ideas on the user forum here.... oooops.... sorry... just trying to be helpful......

I now, try to remember where I am, and make my comments accordingly and based on what I believe to be that particular writer's level of progress with not only writing but production chops.... and sometimes that goes horribly wrong.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Writing songs is like capturing birds without killing them. Sometimes you end up with nothing but a mouthful of feathers."

Tom Waits

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"Writing songs is like capturing birds without killing them. Sometimes you end up with nothing but a mouthful of feathers."

Tom Waits

Thank you. I needed that.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That has gotten me into hot water when for example I offer unsolicited songwriting advice or production advice and ideas on the user forum here.... oooops.... sorry... just trying to be helpful......

I now, try to remember where I am, and make my comments accordingly and based on what I believe to be that particular writer's level of progress with not only writing but production chops.... and sometimes that goes horribly wrong.

yeah, offering (and receiving) critiques can be tough. I have had songs accepted into libraries and I sometimes have a smug feeling like "well, of course they accepted that one". conversely, those same libraries have rejected a few of my songs and it is really hard not to think "that dang guy doesn't know what he's talking about!" but generally, I consider those learning experiences when dealing with pros who do this day in and day out.

a forum like this or some of the songwriting challenges I have done is a totally different thing. most folks are doing it for fun and I try really hard to comment on the nice things about their songs and leave the serious critiquing to someone else! smile

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
that the two sites are vastly different in terms of purpose. On this site it is the very absence of commercial constraint that allows people to experiment and try new things... so its expected that people aren't writing songs to pass a test.

For that reason, the way a song would be evaluated on TAXI should be vastly different than the way it is evaluated here... two different sets of ears, so to speak.
On TAXI the critics look for polish and for how well it met the criteria the project was looking for.
On the User Showcase, the comments revolve more around clever use of the software, whether it make us feel good when we listen, whether the persons skills are improving, etc etc.

IMO...(with no presumption of being a 'heavy hitter' here)

The above are very important distinctions to consider when one is looking for comments or quite honest critiques.

Responses to songs posted here (and similar sites) tend to be more about encouragement to all song writer submissions regardless of any perceived skill level.
For the most part, critiques will be soft and cater more to the 'can't say something nice, don't say it' approach.

BUT, for the record....BOTH have their place for participation and will depend on one's musical goals and the thickness of their skin.

Personally, I've never joined TAXI or any related sites over decades of songwriting because I don't write to the masses nor do I think my material would have any possible mass appeal anyway.
Just because I've written a song that took me weeks of angst to flesh out does not necessarily equate to a masterpiece...well...maybe in my dreams.
I'd be elated just to elude the 'you totally suck' genre. smile

I'd guess many to most here (including me) likely write/record for their very personal creative therapy.

Best to all here with their music pursuits....one never knows what can happen should the right person hear something one has written.

That's my take on it....carry on.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 05/14/14 08:50 AM.
Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
Jim mentioned Bill Anderson awhile back. I wrote to Bill Anderson once about songwriting and got a very nice personal Email back saying there are sharks in the waters here., my phrasing not his.
I have watched the Country Family Reunion shows and the ones featuring the "Songwriter" give an interesting look at the on air relationships and friendships that have developed over their lifetimes.
There seems to be a genuine respect and admiration in this "Old School" bunch that grew up lean and relied on one another.
There seems to be something that a newer generation seems to have missed with the big buses and mega stag shows.
I think the heart of Country Music was in part the struggle to survive that created the genre.
Wyndham

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Country music used to be called "the white man's blues" due to where it came from and how it spoke to the trials of ordinary people.

The early pioneers of country music, as was stated above, did not rely on fancy light shows and pyrotechnics and all sorts of technology and certainly didn't have the huge sound systems that are common in today's country music and no, they didn't travel round in caravans of buses and semi trucks as some country stars I have seen.

Hank Sr packed everything in a station wagon, tied the instruments on the top, and the rest of the band and suitcases crammed inside. At the shows, a few theatrical lights, if they were in a theater, and maybe a speaker on each side of the stage designed for speaking rather than music.

It was certainly a totally different world they lived in from what we see now days. Musically speaking.

Back then many secondary roads were only dirt roads. Pickup trucks were used by farmers and ranchers for work and they had yet to become a status symbol for men who would know which end of a cow was which. Old ponds and lakes were the only swimming pools people had unless they were rich. If you went messing with the farmer's daughter you were likely to get a backside filled with rock salt from his shotgun. Today, all that and more is grist for country songwriters, and for most people...it's a fantasy, not reality.

What I mean by fantasy is...when was the last time you drove a shiny pickup down a dirt road to a bonfire at the pond with the farmer's daughter sitting beside you? Never?

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/16/14 04:41 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,526
Members38,529
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
William L, gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay
38,528 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173