Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
semar Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Dear all,

I play usually piano and keyboard. Lately I've bought an e-bass and I've having fun playing with it, muting the bass track in BiaB/Realband - and that makes really fun :-)

Now I want add an e-guitar to my instrument arsenal, and as a e-guitar beginner, I need some wise suggestions on the model.

I do usually play pop and soul music, no heavy metal.

I need a warm sound, and often I'll use the Wah-Wah effect to obtain that particular rythmic sound usually in the 80's and 90's songs. I guess that all depends on the effect used (FYI I have already a Stomplab IIG ), and not on the guitar.

Since there are different models out there, like Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, and so on, which one, in your opinion, shoult I get to obtain that sound ?

The model I'm looking for should be easy to play and have a warm sound, and should last a long time. The budget is between 300-400 Euros. Personally I find the shape of a PRS nicer in respect of a Stratocaster.

One thing more, if you are aware of some good and free on-line/youtube e-guitar tutorial, please let me know. I need to play, I hate too mach theory :-)

Thanks in advance,
Sergio.

Veteran
Veteran
I have had great success buying Rondo guitars: http://www.rondomusic.com/

I have a couple of them and they are great sounding and should last a long time. One of my students has an LP copy and it sounds great.

If you are looking for a real warm sound look for a hollow or semi-hollow body guitar. If you like a warm jazz sound look for them then put flat would strings on it.

I should add that I have been playing guitar for 55 years and I have had a lot of experience with guitars so if you need any more help just give a yell.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Mario - I have never had any experience with Rondo guitars and no nothing about them. Do you know if the lower price guitars on their site are decent quality? I am used to playing the cheaper Fender Strats and Telecasters. I know there is a big drop in quality from the top dollar Fenders and the guitars I have owned and then another big drop when you go down to the Squire versions of the same guitars. I was looking at the site and am really impressed with the variety and prices I have seen. I would just like to have a little more knowledge on the quality side before dropping money when I get the chance.

Sergio - I would only say that my personal experience has been that you usually pay for quality up to a certain point. I have played $300 guitars that played and sounded every bit as good as $3,000 guitars. I personally have never owned a guitar that cost more than $600, but I have played many that cost much more. I would also recommend that you try out any guitar before buying it. Some guitars just fit different hand and finger sizes better and some just feel more comfortable strapped on. It doesn't matter much what brand or style you buy if you don't feel comfortable trying to play it. Just my personal opinion and I am far from a guitar hero.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have purchased 2 different guitars from Rondo Music - I was one of the first to brag about them here on the forums 8 or 9 years ago. They are great value.

Details: 1. SX 62 Custom P-J bass - paid about $140 total with tax and shipping and in a medium quality padded gig bag. This had better finishing and shielding than my Made-in-Mexico Fender fat-strat. Over time, the P pickup died or perhaps it was the volume pot - the pickups and pot were pretty cheap, with quite a bit of microphonics. However, it is a solid bass guitar with decent tuners and actually quite pretty figured maple neck. I have recently paid a local shop to put a used Seymour Duncan Bassline pickup in it and that has made a huge difference.

2. I bought a solid cedar topped classical from their Valencia brand which has a Shadow P-7 pickup system installed. That was a little over $150 shipped to my house (no case for this one). It's quite enjoyable to play, and has a very usable tone through the pickup system.

The SX and Agile line of instruments from Rondo have a great reputation as inexpensive instruments with quality that is usually better than the Squier brand from Fender.

After I started buying products from Rondo, I had a tour of one of the top post-production facilities in the Detroit area, Gold Sound http://www.goldsound.com/ and I wasn't surprised to see a few Agile guitars in the different tracking rooms.

To slightly change brands, there's a great value in the Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue - I bought one about a year and a half ago. It has versatility of a hard-tail stratocaster, (same scale length) but with better sustain due to several factors, with the added benefit of two different flavors of humbuckers - a mini in the neck and a slanted HB in the tail. Pulling up on the tone knob taps the humbuckers and with the 5 position switch, you have everything that a strat provides, (without the whammy bar but also without the hassle of the whammy bar), and pushing it in allows access to the creamy HB tone in the neck position, and the tail works great for leads. They are very reasonably priced in the US.

I don't know what part of Europe you live in, but I found one at Dolphin: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/guitars/electric-guitars/98597-epiphone-nighthawk-custom-in-transparent-purple-quilt#sterling_uk for 299 pounds. Mine is the Honeyburst color.

Can't help you with online lessons.

Happy shopping.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks Rockstar for the information. I will be sure to give Rondo a try for my next guitar purchase. I enjoy playing quality instruments, but at my skill level it really doesn't make that much difference what I play on as long as it isn't total garbage. If I were supremely talented, I might be able to justify spending large amounts of money on instruments. Alas, I am a fan of Pawn shop and yard sale buys for many of my instruments and equipment. I will add this warning: always try used electronic equipment before buying. I got hung with a Korg keyboard that had been through a flood and was toasted and on another shopping spree I got a Marshal Amp that the electronics had been completely removed.

Veteran
Veteran
Rockstar_not got me interested into Rondo guitars. I'm very glad that he did. I was, like you, very concerned about the low costs but now I have no reservations in buying them.

I have a Valencia classical http://www.rondomusic.com/classkit1na.html
A 6 string banjo http://www.rondomusic.com/bj16.html
And a Tele http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianmnashnat.html

All are top notch. In fact a friend of mine came over with his expensive Fender Tele and stated that he just blew $3,000 USD. He thought that mine sounded just as good as his and mine cost a whole lot less!

A student of mine bought a Les Paul http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianmnashnat.html
It sounds fantastic.

Thus far I have no reservations suggesting Rondo guitars.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I'm not sure if Rondo will ship to Europe. Send an e-mail to kurt@rondomusic.com and ask. Shipping costs might make it prohibitive. If I recall correctly, he buys the SX brand from a company called Team International in China. Yes - here's the SX brand website. You should be able to contact them to find out who sells their products in your country.

http://www.teamintlco.com/SX/

Again, I've found the SX and Valencia products to be quite good quality as it pertains to frets and so forth. The electronics on the SX bass weren't really that great - but that's not what I was expecting. Build quality is better than low-end Fender/Squier. I know some folks that have also purchased the Douglas brand from them.

Make sure to check to see if you can get an Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue - This is right in your price range and has much higher quality components than the SX line. It's a very versatile electric guitar.

Happy Shopping!

semar Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I'm located in Germany, and I don't know if Rondo sells here too, I'll ask.

Anyway, here there is some good guitar center, one of them is www.thomann.de, where I've found this e-guitar:

http://www.thomann.de/de/epiphone_lp_std_eb_incl_gigbag.htm

Do you know the model ? What is Epiphone ? Is that a sub-trademark of Gibson ? Any experience with that brand ?

Sergio.

semar Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@MarioD,

may I abuse of your more than 55 years of e-guitar experience ?

Since I'm looking for a warm sound that a semi-hollow ( with flat would strings as you suggest ) seems to deliver, the question is if with that e-guitar a 'rocking' strumming with a wah-wah would still sound convincing, as well as a solo like C. Santana in "Samba pa ti" , and also if some rocking distorted sound (but not heavy metal) would possible with it.

BTW, I have found these models:
Fender Squier stratocaster:
http://www.thomann.de/de/fender_squier_classic_vibe_strat_60s.htm

and an Epiphone semi-hollow:
http://www.thomann.de/de/epiphone_the_dot_nt_ch.htm

Any comments ?

Regards,
Sergio.

Veteran
Veteran
Sergio,

With the Vox Modeling pedal you already have, you should be able to get any tone you want, regardless of the guitar. I have a lot of guitars, because none of them do everything well. In your situation, it seems like you're looking for a Swiss Army knife guitar. In that case, I would look at a Strat-style guitar rather than a jazz box or an LP. Much more versatile.

Contrary to popular opinion, I wouldn't discount the Classic Vibe Squires, they are very good guitars.

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
You asked for a guitar that's good looking, has a warm sound, and good action so it's easy to play.

GIBSON or EPIPHONE. Gibson of course will cost more but the Epiphone knockoff's look almost the same and sound very similar. They are certainly warmer sounding than any of the Fender/Squire line.

The Gibson/Epi guitars have the humbucker pickups and they will naturally give you a nice fat, warm tone whether played clean or cranked into distortion. The popular ES-335 semi-hollow series are superb jazz guitars, nice and clean while the solid body guitars, the Les Paul and SG among others, sound good both clean and cranked.

I'm partial to the SG since I have owned one and played it for many decades. Just an all around excellent guitar and one that doesn't kill your shoulder in those 4 hour club gigs. Les Pauls, while sounding really nice, tend to get heavy towards the end of the night. A buddy had a LP Goldtop and used all sorts of wide, padded, straps to alleviate the pain, and he was a "big boy" but that LP worked on his shoulder as the night wore on.

Of course, there are now a number of other manufacturers who are making guitars that are also suitable and fit the needs you asked for.

My advice on buying a first guitar is this: If you are able to afford buying a nice professional level guitar, such as a genuine Gibson (or equivalent), by all means, do so. It will cost more initially, HOWEVER, it will hold it's value and if you decide in a year or so that guitar is not your thing, you can more easily get your investment back out of it. Cheaper guitars lose value very quickly. IN addition to the guitar keeping it's value, a professional guitar will be so much easier to play. Low, fast action, nice sound from the pickups, and will just feel better overall.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
"The budget is between 300-400 Euros."

Yeah, go pick up a 335 for 400 Euros. grin

Here's a nice one.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ESDT14VSNH

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Here's a nice one.

And a good looking one too!!!!

Don't let the semi-hollow body jazz aspect fool you..... Ted Nugent used semi-hollow body guitars for many of his earlier recordings. They will get gritty when cranked....and feedback is easier with the semi-hollow body.... (if you're into that feedback thing) I saw him in concert and he was playing a nice semi-hollow guitar for the entire show.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
Sergio, you are asking a lot out of one guitar but I agree with Bob, a Strat is the most versatile guitar and probably the one I would pick if I were in your situation. I do have a Strat copy much like the Squier you mentioned that is strung with flat wounds. I does give a warm sound in the bridge pickup position; note it is not as warm as my jazz box but I would have no problems using it on a jazz gig. I can get a Santana sound out of it in the bridge and bridge/middle pickup positions when using the right combinations of effects. It can also be used in country, rock and rock-a-billy as I have used it to demonstrate different styles to my students.

I see that you have a Vox modeling pedal so you should be able to coax almost any sound you want out of a Strat.

One word of caution, if you put flat wounds on any guitar be aware of the fact that flat wounds are harder to bend than thin strings. If you are planning on doing a lot of string bending over a half step you better practice a lot and build up your finger strength. If the guitar comes with light/thin strings put extra light gauge (.010-.048) flat wounds on it. If you put heavier gauge flat wounds on you will probably have to adjust the neck and as a beginner I strongly suggest that you do not try to adjust the neck, have a guitar tech do it.

A Gibson Memphis guitar has been suggested but it is way out of your price range; don't get me wrong I would love one but I can't afford it. My advice to anyone just starting guitar is to get a decent guitar that is in your price range. Something like a Squier, Epiphone, Rondo or Jay Turser comes to mind. This price range and brands offer the best price to performance/playability IMO; note there are probably others that I am not familiar with. I have seen parents buy very expensive guitars and amps for their kids only to have them quit after a few lessons. I have also seen some kids and adults unintentionally abuse expensive guitars.

Just my thoughts - MarioD

Ps - let me add one thing. As you improve in your playing you will discover that it isn't the guitar that sounds good, it is the player. A good player can coax just about any sound out of any guitar.

[edit] I should add that Rockstar_not's Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue is an other option. Although I have no personal knowledge of this guitar he knows what he is talking about so if he says it's a good versatile guitar then it is a good versatile guitar.

Last edited by MarioD; 11/03/14 01:36 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Here's a nice one.

And a good looking one too!!!!

Don't let the semi-hollow body jazz aspect fool you..... Ted Nugent used semi-hollow body guitars for many of his earlier recordings. They will get gritty when cranked....and feedback is easier with the semi-hollow body.... (if you're into that feedback thing) I saw him in concert and he was playing a nice semi-hollow guitar for the entire show.

It was a joke man. Miss the " grin " ?

Probably should've added more. grin grin grin

Veteran
Veteran

I sure missed it!

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
The versatility of the Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Re-issue is what I love about it.

I can get it to sound like a strat with it's 5 position switch, humbuckers 'singled', in positions 2 and 4 for those classic SRV tones, then go full humbucker in the neck for a round tone, has a hot middle SC sound, etc. I REALLY love this guitar. I sold my Made-in-Mexico Fat Strat because this guitar is a better 'Strat' than my Fat Strat was with significantly better build quality, benefit of a tilt-back headstock and set neck for great sustain and no wolf-tones of the strings between nut and tuner, etc. For that matter it has Grover tuners on it. I don't think it's very popular because it's not one of the classic Gibson shapes like a Les Paul, SG, Explorer, Flying V, etc. It also has a Fender hard-tail style bridge. I don't really like Tune-o-matic style bridges like on nearly every other Gibson and Epiphone solid-body electric.

The only reason I would advise against buying it is that it will be hard to re-sell, because it's not a popular Gibson/Epi body-style, but I have no plans to ever sell this guitar.

Veteran
Veteran
Scott,

I really wish you would stop talking about that bloody Nighthawk of yours! mad

I can't afford another guitar, and it's very unfair of you to keep fanning the flames of my Nighthawk jones. I THOUGHT YOU WERE A GOOD PERSON, BUT NOW I KNOW BETTER!!!! grin

Veteran
Veteran

I don't use those things much, for obvious reasons....... perhaps if my daughter had been interpreting for me.....

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/04/14 05:11 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
A lot of opinions on this one. Here's one more. Since you describe yourself as a beginner on the guitar definitely consider actually demoing the one or few you think might be worth buying. You can change the sound of an electric guitar through various methods (string type/gauge, tonal controls, pick up selection and amp controls) What you can't change is how the guitar feels to you. A guitar tech can adjust the action of the neck to a degree but if it doesn't feel comfortable no amount of set up will make it feel better.

It will be easier to develop skills and finger strength if the guitar naturally feels good. You will be apt to practice for longer periods of time without getting fatigued. I have seen so many people give up after only a few weeks or even months because the guitar they are playing on is just too hard to play for them. It sucks the fun and enjoyment right of learning and playing.

Every hand is different and certain necks and actions play better with different hand types. Once your finger strength and skill level increase it will be easier to pick up and play a guitar that may have a stiffer action. I have several guitars and play them all but only 2 get consistently played because they just feel good to me. My son who also plays hates them.

Bottom line is that while its nice just to pick up the one you think sounds the best for what you want as a beginner make sure you love the way it feels and plays for you.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,529
Members38,529
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Benfil77, William L, gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess
38,529 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173