#276054 12/22/14 12:36 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
G
gwp99 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
New user here and have gone through some videos while waiting for my HDD to arrive.

I am wondering if RealBand is the full BIAB plus the DAW functionality? Are there any functions in BIAB not available in RealBand?

Last edited by gwp99; 12/22/14 12:37 PM.
gwp99 #276059 12/22/14 01:32 PM
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
RB is a DAW with a lot of BiaB functions. It does not have all the features, but allows one to open BiaB files and add to them and regenerate portions, and mix and complete songs.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
G
gwp99 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
thanks for the reply... that is what I was thinking, so thanks for confirming.

G
gwp99 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
If going to a 3rd-party DAW (with non-FX BIAB/RB tracks) is the goal, would the path BIAB to RB to DAW be the recommended path?

RB allows audio recording but BIAB offers more options (from Robh), so I would think that both BIAB and RB need to be in the equation.

Last edited by gwp99; 12/22/14 02:15 PM.
gwp99 #276086 12/22/14 02:58 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Probably Yes, although I think it would depend on the project. RB is a DAW, so you could use that or you could use something else.

[I happen to use SONAR, but only because I learned Cakewalk programs before PG Music offered their own version. So, my workflow is BIAB into SONAR.]

However, RB can do something NO other DAW can do, and that is open a BIAB song file directly. Then you can regenerate parts of tracks, something even BIAB cannot do.

Thus, my recommendation is that you fire up RB and learn what it is capable of, as you may want to use it even if you also own a third-party DAW.

And, welcome to this forum.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
G
gwp99 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Thanks for the welcome.

As I use only 64-bit vsts, I don't think that is RB's strength. But you are right, I will spend some time getting to know it before I rule it out.

I especially noted your comment "However, RB can do something NO other DAW can do, and that is open a BIAB song file directly. Then you can regenerate parts of tracks, something even BIAB cannot do." That seems to be a big plus!

Last edited by gwp99; 12/23/14 04:32 AM.
gwp99 #276186 12/23/14 06:54 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gwp99
That seems to be a big plus!

'Tis.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
gwp99 #276218 12/23/14 09:31 AM
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
RB 2015 can use 64bit VSTis, and VSTs. So that is not a problem. I have track several projects entirely in RB. I seldom even use BiaB anymore. I find RB does 90% of what BiaB does in simply generating basic tracks for a song bed. I mix and process them right there. If i run into a situation where i can't get RB to do what i want i have Presonus' Studio one Pro where i can do what ever i want.

SIde note i was noodling around in Studio one last night, and trying different sampler sounds that come with the program. I was messing with a drum track that was basically a midi file i downloaded. I ran the file through EzDrummer, which is so easy in SD1, all one has to do is drag the VSTi onto the track, and a box pops up and asks "do you want to replace what ver synth it is using" Which in my case was their "Presence" sampler. Then i opened up EzDrummer and set it to multi output, and in the track inspector in SD1 their was a drop down arrow i opened it and it has check boxes for all the outputs of EZD. check each one and a track appears for each. Add effects to taste and mix down. Very cool deal.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
gwp99 #276395 12/24/14 10:12 AM
Veteran
Veteran
If going to a 3rd-party DAW (with non-FX BIAB/RB tracks) is the goal, would the path BIAB to RB to DAW be the recommended path?

RB allows audio recording but BIAB offers more options (from Robh), so I would think that both BIAB and RB need to be in the equation.

Absolutely.... that's my path... however, rarely does anything I create in BB end up in my finished song projects. Most of the tracks I use are generated in RB and they are the tracks you hear in my tunes, along with me playing live. All live recording is done in Sonar.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
gwp99 #276417 12/24/14 12:07 PM
Veteran
Veteran
... Are there any functions in BIAB not available in RealBand?

Yes.
Depending on how you work you may notice them or you may not.
BiaB is much faster at generating/creating new ideas; it is setup to try a lot of different variations/styles very fast. RB is more of a "I want to do this here and that there' type setup. It requires more input from the user, but also offers some features/controls that BiaB does not, so your question can go both ways.

If you have some DAW experience and familiarity, you may find the RB workflow much more flexible and powerful. It's more linear (like most other DAWs). If you don't, BiaB may be more suitable to you. There are many users who don't seem to mind the difference between the two. They are separate programs for a reason. I hope this remains so for the foreseeable future. Both have their strengths.

They are very different in how they actually perform, but both do indeed share a lot of the same functions .. it's all about your workflow.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #276717 12/27/14 06:44 AM
G
gwp99 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Thanks to all who replied...including tech support.

I have gone through many videos while running both BIAB and RB, and now appreciate the differences between the two.

I am amazed at the power of BIAB and the quickness to get down ideas.

RB is definitely useful - especially, as was pointed out, for loading up a BIAB song directly. However, as a Reaper user, RB probably won't replace it... but who know?

Last edited by gwp99; 12/27/14 06:47 AM.
gwp99 #276728 12/27/14 07:14 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Once you go back and forth a few times between Reaper and RB (to add another part, or change a part you generated previously) you may adjust this opinion. Or you may find that getting the 'basic idea' down in BB (style/chords/tempo) is quick, but then you can have more control finishing up the generating/arranging in RB.
Then comes the decision of 'when do I need to leave RB and go to another DAW?'.

That's the line that fluctuates for a lot of users.
I grew up on PT, so the workflow in RB and knowledge of how it works allows me to stay there for most if not all of the project. Do whatever fits and feels comfortable for you. You're farther than a lot of users already. If you understand what RB does, you'll know when you want to use it. Many BB users never even open RB!

gwp99 #276731 12/27/14 07:36 AM
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have found at times that RB is actually easier than the big DAWs like reaper, sonar, studio one to do basic tracking in. I like to use it for most projects.

Where I tend to move over is where I want to really do some advanced type techniques on a project. Still RB will handle a pretty complex mix if you learn it. It has all the basics.

When I bounce a project to, or start a project in Studio one is where I either have no BiaB tracks involved, or I just need some real complex tricks. Like I said above. SD1 has the best comping and drag and drop features I have seen the more I dig in I appreciate the thought that went into that DAW program. It is a very young program and does not have the crazy routing of reaper, but to me that was too much work. It does not have as many big name plug ins as sonar, nor does it have as rich of a midi system, but I don't do full midi written tracks. What SD1 does best is save workload, and to my ear has the best headroom available for tracking. It also has a plethora of unbelievable workflow enhancements.

We need to see each tool as it wa intended a tool in the box. A good carpenter can make a better piece of furniture with a set of hand tools than I can with a full shop of the greatest tool around.

gwp99 #276906 12/28/14 10:29 AM
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Isn't DAW functionality speculative? Realband recorded audio and will let you split tracks into clips but I don't think it did everything Cubase Sx could do did it. What are things that RealBand does better than
Cubase 5
Sonar X3
Similitude
Reason 7
Apple Logic
Orion Synapse
Reaper
Fruity Loops
Ableton LIve
All of these are so different from each other

We should respect how our competitors do things because more or less most of these aren't that expensive. So I always try to support the creators of products when I can.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: methodman
What are things that RealBand does better than [list]

I gave one example above that Realband can do that NONE of the other DAWs can do: load a BIAB song file and regenerate PART of a track.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, DAWs are all different to suit different needs, and you can always use the one you want for whatever you choose to do. Some of us consider the realtrack/realdrum availability so huge that we end up needing a reason to leave RB as opposed to a reason to use it. If I need something it doesn't do I'll use another DAW at that point.

Realband excels above others at:
Generating/Regenerating tracks (audio and MIDI) like BiaB.
Multiriff - Generates lots of variations to more quickly assemble a track.
Pitch Shift audio; with the algorithm in use (Elastique) it does this quite well and pretty quickly.

other things I like and feel are better than some ..
Direct support of JBridge
A couple of the PGMusic FX included with RB including PeakLimit, RTA and Vinyl Tool make some tasks quick and easy.
Vinyl tool is liked by many who are transferring their vinyl albums to digital. Once discovered it is often used for this task.

MIDI editing is pretty powerful in RB compared to some others, with the data filter options (X2) it can do a lot in one pass. This is especially true if you use Sysex and uncommon CC's and such.
Also routing MIDI to ports; 16 ports with 16 channels and lots of flexibility.

Hidden backups; every time you save you can have a backup of the previous version stored (and with a different filename extension so it doesn't clutter your current lists).
I know a few people that didn't appreciate this until they needed it.
You can also control how many backups of a given file and how many altogether, and even decide what happens when you exceed desired limits.
If more people knew about this it may save them some time/effort when they think they lost work, or a file got corrupted, or a rogue plugin won't allow the song to open, or they messed up a mix ..

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RB-backupOtions.jpg (14.31 KB, 29 downloads)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,745
Posts736,877
Members38,562
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
taylor davis, spec96, Nethan Paul, LesNewzealand, CCCreator
38,562 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 187