Band-in-a-Box for Windows
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Hello,

I have a very old (like version 10 old!) BBiaB which I inherited and played with a bit a few years ago. Recently I dusted it off to create a drum track, but found I couldn't turn off any of the other instruments. It was all or nothing.

Would a newer version of BBiaB allow me to JUST have a drum track? Or to solo out any other instrument for exporting?

I'd try myself but I did not see a demo version anywhere.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi dsbw.

Welcome to the forums.

To answer your questions, "Yes, instruments (including drums) can be soloed in BIAB 2015 and can be individually exported."

I don't know BIAB 10 but it seems unusual that it's not possible to mute the instruments you don't want to hear. That being said, the changes since BIAB 10 are mind-blowing. These days, in addition to midi (which is what you'd have on BIAB 10), we have Realtracks and Realdrums. These are live recordings of some of the world's top class musicians and they're available to us to use to create backings. It is so very easy to create musical backings that sound outstanding!

Just like in the old days, all a user needs to do is to type in a chord progression, generate the song and BIAB creates a backing. If you have a listen to some of the songs on Soundcloud (the link is in my signature), I think you'll be impressed with what BIAB can do these days.

Also, the below link will take you to a webpage that has demos of all the different Realtracks so that you can listen to what's available.

http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.realtracks.htm

Lastly, PG Music does not have a demo of the latest version of the program because it is so big. If you purchase a copy, though, there is a 30-day money back guarantee should you decide that you'd like to return it. (If I remember correctly, all you need do is to cover the freight. It would pay to check this with PG Music.)

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Thank you, Noel, that was quite helpful!

And, yeah, I'd imagine there'd be some changes in the past 15 years. laugh

I had one particular small project in mind, is why I was trying to use the old one. I'll need the new one soon enough, I s'pose.

Thanks again!

Journeyman
Journeyman
This may be of interest to you too.

Videos of BIAB.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

DE

Win 10, 64 bit, love my Lenovo T420, BIAB 2019 (613), RB 2019 (2)

Short term memory is getting shorter.
Veteran
Veteran
You can also do what I do.

Compose the song/tune in BB and then open it in Real Band.

In Real Band, the tracks are displayed and you can select any of them for a quick and easy export. You can also change multiple aspects of a given track easily or render it again. You can also add other instruments that are NOT in the basic BB style. For example, if you are doing a rock style in BB and decide you want a fiddle, mandolin, and a dobro, Real Band lets you add them in a snap.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Did version 10 include RealBand?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I do not think so. I see nothing called "RealBand" or "Real Band" anywhere.

Veteran
Veteran
Version 10 of BIAB dates back to 2001. RealBand was certainly not included (it was released first in 2008).

Version 2010 of BIAB, if that's what you have, is from 2010 and DID have RealBand.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Heh. Version 10. The 2001 version. The not-sure-if-this-XP-thing-is-gonna-last version.

Veteran
Veteran
In version 10, one thing you can do is just right click on each of the instrument radio buttons listed at the top to mute that instrument (basically mute everything except the drums, and you will only hear the drums).

Another thing you can do is set the volume of each non-drum track to zero.

Another thing you can do is to select "File, Save with Patches" and in the dialog box that comes up, uncheck all the tracks except Drums under the "On?" checkbox. Save your file and only the drums will play.

Hope that helps.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
You could also update to the newest version to get Real Band and the new stuff that has been added since your version was new. I like the option of upgrading since that gives you Real Band and that's where you can create some really interesting tracks like steel guitar, fiddle, dobro, strings, cello, piano's, basses, guitars, well beyond what BB will give you.

Or.... get a simple DAW like Cakewalk's Music Creator and import the tracks from BB & RB to it and then add as many more live tracks as you need.

Haha... don't knock XP.... my studio DAW runs XP pro. I'm kinda backed into a corner now as fewer and fewer companies are no longer making things in 32 bit. But my DAW and the software it runs are rock solid....

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/11/15 01:55 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
XP was probably MS's best OS. I mean, out of the box, it was stable. I had Win7 lock up my hardware due to Flash of all things.

I did find a way to mute the tracks in BB10, thanks, but I went ahead and got BB2015 anyway.

What I want to do is use BB to generate tracks, then replace those tracks with me playing. I have not figured this out yet. (I'd say I'm disappointed but I know it's my ignorance, not the program's capability, which is pretty impressive.)

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dsbw

What I want to do is use BB to generate tracks, then replace those tracks with me playing. I have not figured this out yet. (I'd say I'm disappointed but I know it's my ignorance, not the program's capability, which is pretty impressive.)

That is exactly what I do. I usually only keep the BiaB drum track and replace everything else with either myself and/or others playing. You may want to check out my songs in the user showcase forum.

But that is impossible to do with BiaB, you need a DAW. If you do not have a DAW not to worry as BiaB comes with Realband and that is a very good DAW. I do not use Realband however there are many Realband experts here that will gladly help you if you need it.

Remember the only stupid question is one not asked.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dsbw

This is how I use the program. Of course, it's only one way out of many.... chose what works for you.

1. I write the song in Band in a Box. All verses, choruses, etc are put into the proper structure, tempo and key are selected and finally the style....rock, country, etc. When it's right I save it.

2. I open the project in Real Band. RB populates the tracks with the BB tracks according to the style from BB. I select the longest track in RB and then use the track generator to add new tracks for instruments not in that style. I normally write in a rock style but RB lets me add fiddle and steel as well as anything else I want. I save that file.

3. I open Sonar (by Cakewalk) and import the tracks I created and rendered in Real Band into the new Sonar project. I do mixing, EQ, reverb, and add vocals as well as my live guitar and keyboard parts in this stage. When I am finished, the project is ready to be exported as an almost finished song. I export the wave.

4. I open my Wave editor and load the "finished wave" from Sonar. I trim the start and end, and add final touches to what is now the finished song.

And that's how I do it.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/12/15 05:18 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Oh, that is cool. Very good to know, MarioD. Thank you!

Last edited by dsbw; 09/12/15 02:44 PM.
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
GuitarHacker--

That's also good to know! That's sort of what I was hoping for. A lot to learn!

Thanks everyone! The fact that there's a friendly community makes a HUGE difference.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
MarioD Quote: "That is exactly what I do. I usually only keep the BiaB drum track and replace everything else with either myself and/or others playing. But that is impossible to do with BiaB, you need a DAW. "

Not relevant to the discussion, but a fun trivia fact. It is possible to record multiple audio tracks within BIAB and not have to use a DAW or RealBand. (At least in 2015 version)

It's crude and has a minimum of mixing capabilities and any of the other methods mentioned in this discussion will yield far better results but if for some reason BIAB is the only software available for recording, multiple audio tracks can be recorded and never leave BIAB.

Once you have recorded your initial audio track, open the audio menu and select "overdub existing audio". Record another take of audio and it will be merged with the original take. This process can be repeated numerous times.

I use this method as a scratch track to try out different harmonies and backing vocals when I'm creating a song in BIAB and don't want to take time to leave the program and export files into a DAW.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
That's funny. That was the very first thing I did: Record a vocal then overdub it. It was terrible (I mean, I did a terrible job). And I could not figure out how to delete it. And even though there was a Mixer Entry for audio, I could not use the mute. It just merrily pegged the meters and ignored me. (I think I see part of the problem in that the pop-up for the mixer doesn't necessarily reflect the instrument you're hovering over.)

Anyway, I found the WAV file and deleted that. laugh

Veteran
Veteran
Over dub or Punch?

Overdub ......merges the two into the one track in a sort of layering but not into unique tracks.... that's a recipe for disaster except as used for a scratch pad to try things quickly.

Punch, on the other hand, lets you "fix" certain specific places in a track with a mistake in it. Usually available in a DAW

Mutli-tracking..... the best option, is available in a true DAW and lets you do as many tracks as you want, punching the mistakes in the tracks, and all in their own unique track and mixable into the final sound.

www.herbhartley.com

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Over dub or Punch?

Overdub ......merges the two into the one track in a sort of layering but not into unique tracks.... that's a recipe for disaster except as used for a scratch pad to try things quickly.

Punch, on the other hand, lets you "fix" certain specific places in a track with a mistake in it. Usually available in a DAW

Mutli-tracking..... the best option, is available in a true DAW and lets you do as many tracks as you want, punching the mistakes in the tracks, and all in their own unique track and mixable into the final sound.

BIAB will overdub and punch in and Herb is correct it is more effective as a scratch track feature than an actual track to use on a final recording.

I took a look at the BR1600 manual from the Sweetwater site and it indicates that files can be transferred back and forth between the computer and Br1600 as I recalled I could do when I owned the similar BR1200 a few years ago. To me, this is preferable rather than capturing audio from the interface output and eliminates the need for the interface if you want it to. The quality of the BR1600 preamps is similar to both the interface model preamps of your two interfaces. Simply record up to 8 tracks (or more using v-tracks) into the BR1600 and import the wav or aaif files into your DAW via USB for further processing if needed. Conversely, you can also export BIAB saved audio files to the BR1600 for mixing it if you prefer that workflow.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,727
Posts736,578
Members38,556
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Rogee, John Dharmawan, hughesai, BabzColl, bluejaffa
38,555 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 189