Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
M
OP Offline
M
I`ve been trying to connect for hours now to no avail so I havve copied my Mgu files onto an sd and inserted it into my tablet.
So how do I access them?

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Mitch

What program is running on your Android Tablet that you want to use the .mgu files with?

I'm presuming you're running the Android App and want to play songs on a Windows or Mac computer by controlling them from the Android App.

If you have a 'cannot connect to server' issue, then this probably won't work until that is resolved.

My understanding is that you cannot use the App to play songs by itself, but you use the App to control the BiaB running on the server (Windows or Mac) to play the songs.

Tell us more about your setup, and how you were expecting it to operate. Others may know more.

Oh, and welcome to the neighborhood!

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
M
OP Offline
M
Hi Trevor:I d/l`ed the android app to use on my Galaxy tab 2 in order to replace sheet music in a band I play in.
At this point,I`m stuck
1]Loaded the Mgu`s on an sd card card-couldn`t find it with BIAB app
2]Load mgu`s in Android BIAB app folder-no cigar
3]"Cant` connect to server"continues to plague me.I tried turning firewall off,enter the IP numbers derived from whatsmyip.net,set the router to accept new connections.
Any assistance is appreciated!
Tx A Lot

Veteran
Veteran
The android app is not a copy of BIAB to generate accompaniments from locally stored SGU/MGU files. Your SGU/MGU files need to be on your home computer. It is a client/server application, where you have to run the BIAB server on your home computer, then configure the app to connect your android to the BIAB server. From there, you can select MGU files based on what is on your home computer. The server will generate an audio version of the accompaniment, send that to your android, and then allow you to play the file.

Please see this page for more information and help.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
M
OP Offline
M
I have loaded the mgu files onto the androids SD card.
When i check them,the message is something to the sffect of "there is no application for this"
Baffling...
Can some one explain this?

Veteran
Veteran
If all you want to do is read your music, you should save them as pdf or jpg files, then load them onto your tablet. Check the manual for details on doing this.

Last edited by raymb1; 05/29/16 06:47 PM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
You don't need to 'connect to server', unless you want to *generate* songs from your android device. There are a few ways to get existing songs onto your device.

- First step is to prepare the songs in Band-in-a-Box desktop. You need to have an .mgu and and .mp4 (audio file) for each song. Create a folder of the songs you want to transfer, go to the Window menu | BB2GO, and generate .mp4s for the songs.

- Second step is to transfer the songs. An easy way is to use Dropbox - Open the app on your phone/table and go to File | Download from... dropbox.

Note - if you don't have an mp4 file for your song, you can still see the chords using the app, but you won't be able to play it.

--------

Alternatively, if you connect to the Band-in-a-Box server on your desktop, you can transfer songs by going to File | Server | Get Songs. You then go to the url specified on your desktop internet browser and there is a utility to transfer songs. To make this work:

- First you need to have Band-in-a-Box Server running on your desktop. Check for the little white and green note icon in your taskbar. There is an option to start the server in the BB2GO window.

- Second, Connect to Server on your app. Assuming your phone is connected via Wifi to the same local network as your computer, the Band-in-a-Box Server will show up automatically.

Note - if you don't have a wireless network or you are away from home and so you're connected over the internet, it gets a bit more complicated because you need to configure your home router to handle the connection properly. It's not hard to set up, but it's just not automatic. There are instructions at:
http://www.pgmusic.com/support.android.htm#network

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hello Andrew,
We use the BIAB app also at iPad and Android (I own both) as MusicReader for chords created in BIAB. In fact at both systems I can easily import thousands of files into the app from my dropbox.

Compared to iReal Pro, the app misses some very fundamental options. The most missing option is to be able to transpose per song rather then to transpose in the preference setting for all songs to adapt to the instrument key. Most of the time we always need to transpose all the time not only for adapting to an instrument key but also for the singer at any gig. So this should be a per song based setting and if this is too difficult it should be a transpose option directly available in the song.

Then the mgu files cannot be read by the app. They are converted while downloading from dropbox into .txt files. This prevents the ability to just import .mgu files into an Android directory. Or to attach a file to a pdf file and open it with the BIAB app which might gives you the opportunity to open the app directly and use it for transposing. So why this strange conversion into .txt?.

A second missing feature mainly in iPad is a paging. At iPad only 10x4 measures are present which is many times to less. Scrolling is no decent option. At Android 28x4 measures are visible at one page, which is mostly sufficient.

Solving a few of those shortcomings should already raise the value of these app a lot.
Rob

Musicians and music publishers are still wasting too much paper...come on men we live in the digitised age...Wake up!
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
There are a lot of windows tablets now you can run Biab on, you can copy the wma RealTrack/Drums to a 128G SD card if there's not enough room on the main SSD.

Veteran
Veteran
Nothing is perfect regardless. I use I Real Pro all the time but the huge problem with it is no melodies, only chords which makes it ok for simply faking a song I don't know on piano but having the melody would be much better. One of their biggest assets is the forum where people post literally thousands of songs in all genres. The only way they can legally do that is chords only because the melodies are copywritten. That means if you want a full fakebook chart like the Real Books you need to go the pdf route and upload them into a live stage app on a tablet.

It's true that a Surface Pro 3 is about the same price as an iPad Pro now and will run the full Biab just fine. But, and there's a but with everything isn't there? A full PC doesn't have the apps for manipulating charts on stage like a tablet can. There are Android emulators out there you can install on a PC but who knows if they really work or not.

So many choices, all different, all with pros and cons. It's very confusing. You have to have a clear idea of what you need and what compromises you are willing to accept before you go out and start buying stuff.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Bob,
The BiaB app as well at iPad as Android is probably hardly used, mainly due to basic shortcomings. That is a pity. Many people use biab to create their music.
Many people have enough with using only chords during gigs. Many people want the ability to directly transpose the chords to the key they need. The way uploading chords and transposing has been implemented is so bad and with no reason at all that the app is completely ignored. So most people stick with iReal Pro. Just some better implementation of importing the .mgu files in the app ( doc area of iPad) or in the apps directory (Android) and a suitable direct accessable transpose function should do a lot of good for the BiaB app.
Rob
Anybody will confirm that.

Musicians and music publishers are still wasting too much paper...come on men we live in the digitised age...Wake up!
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, and that has been requested for years so feel free to put it on the Wishlist forum. The problem is Biab is not an Android or IOS app, it only runs on a real computer. I'm not a programmer and I have no idea if that's even possible.

The Android/IOS apps now only act as a sort of bridge between your device and your home computer which must be running Biab at the time you're using the app.

Everything I've ever worked with concerning digital audio recording and everything else we love to talk about here involves lots of compromises. Nothing does everything we want. Note to all the programmers out there: ALL YA GOTTA DO IS...

That's a joke amongst some programmers I know.

PG has been making a lot of changes lately so who knows what the future holds.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I think if you want more control and RealTrack/Drums, then a Win Tab might be the best way to go.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Bob,
Are you aware you can use the app perfectly by importing all your .mgu files directly into both apps from dropbox or google drive, without the need of any server. Then you can use the app as a reader like iReal Pro. And you can even transpose via the preferences, so it is not that very different if you use it as a reader. So it is already very near to what one should want.

Pipeline,
95% of the market is covered by iPad and Android, so at this moment we aren't already interested in Win Tab. It may change but not soon. Too many other apps one should want aren't yet available as well for Win Tab
Rob

P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Veteran
Veteran
This is what I was mentioning earlier. I was considering a Surface Pro and using one of these to run the Android apps to manage all my charts. I might also use the Surface to run ST3 to use those sounds live with my keyboard.

Still thinking about that, but also still reluctant to keep buying more and more stuff...

Bob

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with ST nor with using biab as a play along device in whatever configuration. I just use(d) biab for quickly getting/notating/transposing music and print it as pdf.
Right now I use MuseScore a lot. We uploaded a complete book with 680 (real book) songs into .mscz. So any song can be transposed directly on your tablet to any key.
Any new song for my bands will be converted to .mscz and uploaded. So never any problem anymore with the prefered key. Great.
I convert any song from BIAB via pdf and PDFto Music into MusicXml, import it into musescore and save it as .mscz. (BTW: the musicxml from biab isn't good enough for me). Works for iPad and for Android.
Rob

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Additonally I noticed that if you download .mgu together with an mp4 file in a zip file from dropbox you can play the music as well in the app. This is mentioned as option by BIAB ( instead of using a server) but it functions only for Android I thought first.

From some more experiments I learned using a mp4 does NOT work for iPad, it functions at an Android system. For I pad you explicitly need to use the m4a format. This will function at both systems. So just create an accompanyïng m4a and zip it together with the mgu or alike and email it to your iPad or send It to dropbox or google drive.
You can open the zip from email or dropbox and download it for iPad. However email will NOT function with Android 5.0+ since you cannot choose the BIAB app to open!

Rob

Last edited by robvh; 10/19/16 06:32 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,683
Posts735,913
Members38,538
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb, adolesentcodger, Elizabeth Stephen
38,537 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 177