#352690 06/04/16 06:34 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
hi all,

i've just upgraded to 2016 and i've got a small problem.
when i open any new saved song the song does not "automatically" play after being
double clicked on.
It loads in and all the instruments and chords and all are there but
i have to hit the play "arrow" to get the song to start.
definitely was not that way, for me anyway, on 2015.
don't know if something in my preferences got changed with the update
or if this is something new in this version or is this a glitch in the
latest release.

as i said, it's a small problem but it seems strange.

any help would be appreciated.

john

w Offline
Expert
Expert

Hi john,

When you say

Quote:
when i open any new saved song the song does not "automatically" play after being
double clicked on.
It loads in and all the instruments and chords and all are there but
i have to hit the play "arrow" to get the song to start.

In both 2015 and 2016 versions you can use the " transport bar " ( extreme left hand side ) or from the drop down menu " Play " to start your song playing.

I can not recall that in the 2015 version the song would " automatically " play. I still had to hit the play " arrow ' in the transport bar or go the drop down menu " Play " to start my song playing. Actually the drop down menu " Play " has far more choices and of course they are " hot key " coded. For example Command + A to play and generate a song. ( My comment: it still puzzles me how MR PG came up with using the letter " A " for play but i know that it has been that way for more then 30 years that i have been using this programme )

Anyways, those are my thoughts and more then likely completely missed your question/concern. Just blame it on Mr Magoo - (w)

C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
thanks for your input on this. i appreciate it but i'm certain that it was always playing the song for me when i selected it....i never had to hit any buttons, arrows or anything else. i'm a very long time user as well and this is the first i've seen of this.
hopefully, someone from biab will weigh in on this when they see it and clear it all up.

thanks again,
john

w Offline
Expert
Expert
I found my 2015 Mac BinaBox USB drive and it does not automatically start playing a song selected/loaded. Had to use the transport bar play button or select play from the drop down menu.

Searched the preferences and can't find a setting to toggle on or off automatic play after a song is selected/loaded. There is a repeat play but that is something different.

C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
thanks, it appears to be just you and i on this thread til business opens on monday.
i hear you. i tried to go back to my 2014 version but it's gone now and sadly, my 2015 version
was written over by my upgrade to 2016 but the fact remains for me anyway, the songs did, in fact,
start automatically....
who knows maybe it was a glitch in my setup but i gotta tell ya, i loved it and was totally
used to it.
i use biab alot. when i don't have to hit extra keys, that's a very very good thing.

thanks again, and i would love to hear others input on my very little "drama" here.

w Offline
Expert
Expert

Actually you posted a good question/problem with the 2016 version.

I would also love to hear others chime in on your question and at the same time set me straight on my findings.

Hears hoping to get an answer soon.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: catcrazy
i use biab alot. when i don't have to hit extra keys, that's a very very good thing.

Agreed.

In BIAB 2015 (which I just double-checked) songs did not automatically start playing when opened from the file menu, however they did automatically start playing when you click on the "Prev" and "Next" button. That is still the same in BIAB 2016. Is it possible you forgot that it only auto-played when you used those buttons?

In addition, songs were automatically generated and auto-played when you selected a new style in BIAB 2015. That is unfortunately not the same in BIAB 2016 and the auto-play has been disabled.

I think that in both cases these should be a user preference. I could understand how some users might not want a song to auto-play until they've pressed the PLAY button. But I agree with you that it is great when it just starts playing as quickly as it can, since most of the time I am sitting there waiting to hear the song I have loaded and don't want it to wait for more input from me.

Hopefully they can add the preferences so that users can choose what they want. But regardless, BIAB SHOULD NOT wait to generate the audio for a song style just selected or a non-frozen song just opened. Even if it doesn't auto-play, it should NOT be waiting to generate the audio because then the song will not be ready to play when you actually press the PLAY button and thus you have to wait even longer.

Right now, when you either open up a non-frozen song with the file menu or select a new style for a song, the song will not auto-play AND the song audio will not be generated, which is very inconvenient because it forces the user to wait unnecessarily... twice. I really hope this can be fixed ASAP.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, MacPro (Mid-2010) OSX 10.12.6
DAW: Digital Performer 8

C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
hi zedd,
thanks for your very thorough reply.
hopefully, the moderators of this forum will read your comment and reply.

honestly, i can't imagine why anyone would want to open a file and have it load into biab, load the instruments, chords etc. and then NOT HAVE IT PLAY?
to me, it made perfect sense doing what it always did for me. double click on the biab file that i kept on my desktop and it loaded and played. simple.
as a matter of fact, i can't really think of any other program on the mac that DOES work that way. think about it.
If you have, for the sake of this conversation, a Microsoft Word document called "MYResume" on your desktop and double click on it to open it, it doesn't just open Microsoft word, it opens the Microsoft Word AND "MYResume".....

why would biab be any different?

Last edited by catcrazy; 06/07/16 03:41 AM.
Expert
Expert
to me, it made perfect sense doing what it always did for me. double click on the biab file that i kept on my desktop and it loaded and played. simple.

I just tried that in both BIAB 2015 and BIAB 2016 and indeed you are correct. Opening songs by double-clicking them causes them to play automatically in BIAB 2015 and not in 2016.

It's still something that should be a preference set by the user. No matter which of the 3 (or more) ways are used to open a BIAB file, the song should either auto-play or load itself (and generate it's audio) so that it is ready to PLAY according to how the user has set their preferences.

I could understand how some users might not want auto-play. Maybe they want to load a song while they answer a phone call or go to the restroom. But I'm sure that most of us would probably prefer auto-play since that gets things going as quickly as possible. I still find myself waiting for auto-play when I load up a new style.

as a matter of fact, i can't really think of any other program on the mac that DOESN'T work that way. think about it.
If you have, for the sake of this conversation, a Microsoft Word document called "MYResume" on your desktop and double click on it to open it, it doesn't just open Microsoft word, it opens the Microsoft Word AND "MYResume".....

BIAB 2016 does still load the song if you open it that way. It just doesn't play it.

Using your analogy, for Microsoft Word to behave the same way as BIAB the words of your resume wouldn't actually appear on the page until you pressed the "SEE" or "READ" button. That would indeed be a silly and unnecessary extra step.

C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
THANK YOU, ZEDD.....

i was beginning to think
i lost what was left
of the little bit of brain
i still had.

john

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thank you - we will look into the auto-play. A preference would be ideal.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
thanks for that, andrew.

i agree it would be an ideal preference.

again, thanks to ZEDD for his insight and comments on this thread.

john

C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
hi andrew.

any chance that something like this would be made available as an update to 2016?

Expert
Expert
Hey John,

Since I'm not sure that Andrew will see your message until Monday, I did learn that your double-click-play issue has been attended to and should be working again in the next public build. Apparently some other things discussed in this thread have also been addressed.

Great news, huh?

Have a great weekend!

Zedd

C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
great news....thanks for your reply.

john

C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
just downloaded the latest build.

works like a charm.

Expert
Expert
Indeed! Loving the auto-play!!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,709
Posts736,308
Members38,550
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ricki Susic, kcowmusic, guylamar2006, John Hunt, Oraus
38,549 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176