Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Just wanted to ask if any folks are currently using BIAB 2016 live? If so, what are your experiences with it and any thoughts postive and negative?

Thanks

Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes, I use it live in a contemporary praise & worship setting, lots of different styles. The songs are selected in advance and saved as Favorites and played using the Jukebox. Works great! I use RealTracks as much as possible, pretty much for everything but strings.

Jim
Psalm 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise.

BIAB 2018 build 519; Dell Inspiron N4110, Windows 10 64 bit, Intel Core i3-2350m running at 2.29 GHz, Memory: 6 GB DDR3, SDRAM 1MHz
Apprentice
Apprentice
Joden, I'm slowly moving toward that direction. I use a Tyros 5 keyboard at the moment, which is a superb arranger. For some songs, I will use BIAB backing tracks. The only drawback is the BIAB scores will be etched in stone. That is, if we have a full dance floor, my music partner can't all of a sudden send us back to a new chorus the way we can with the Tyros 5...unless someone has a way of changing that smile.

Gear: Tyros 5, MOX8, SoundCraft EFX12 mixer, two Bose L1 Compacts, Yamaha HS-8 monitors, BIAB 2016 UltraPlusPAK, Cubase 8, Steinberg UR-44 interface.

"If everyone played a musical instrument, we wouldn't need police officers or armies." Lee B.
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: 1manband
Yes, I use it live in a contemporary praise & worship setting, lots of different styles. The songs are selected in advance and saved as Favorites and played using the Jukebox. Works great! I use RealTracks as much as possible, pretty much for everything but strings.

Yes! It's funny about those strings. The midi strings are still far superior to anything available in RealTracks. The nearest I can get with RT is with Strings Rhythm Pop Country but they just don't sound right somehow.

Not that I have a use for BIAB in a live setting. But for recordings of myself playing; like you I prefer the Midi strings.

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
thanks guys...yeah I'm sorta getting tired of the whole create the song in BIAB then transfer to Sonar, then create MP3 tracks than transfer those to the stage laptop...and then is there is some level of effect that wasn't quite right live as opposed to in the studio, you have to "rinse and repeat" hahaha!...so yeah I'm thinking maybe just take BIAB out ther instead.

D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
I tried the laptop routine, but, I don't lug it around anymore.

I have a pedal I can load the backing tracks into and start them in sequence. Or scroll through the songs and play them in any order I need. All of my songs are praise and worship originals. Usually just playing with another guitarist, and occasionally a drummer. Tracks have drums, piano/keys, bass, steel, sometimes harmonica, or cello. Usually mixed in RB with a short version and a longer version.

The sound guy likes the signal he gets from the pedal, it mixes the track, vocal and guitar levels and sends one signal to the board. I can change the guitar and vocal effects while the song is playing.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"
Veteran
Veteran
As Mac would say others mileage may vary . . . I love using my laptop on gigs. Especially since they are some great laptop stands that fit on Mic Stands these days, not to mention the smaller laptops themselves.

Maybe I am a control freak but I love having my entire rep just a click away, not to mention the the ability to make small changes even while the tune is in progress.

Later,

Last edited by Danny C.; 06/06/16 12:47 PM. Reason: grammer correction
Apprentice
Apprentice
I use BIAB for Praise & Worship leading, as well as Southern Gospel performance tracks. I use BIAB to generate the individual instrument parts, and then drop those into Studio One (DAW) for editing, creating intros and endings and doing the final mix. Once it's in Studio One, I rarely go back to BIAB unless it's to generate a fill part. After mixing, I save the finished track as a WAV file and play it from my laptop on stage. I've tried other workflows, but this is definitely the best I've found for my needs.

Rich

Windows 10, 64 bit | BIAB 2019 PlusPak | Studio One 2 Artist
D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Rich if you are just playing .wav files why do you need the laptop? Couldn't you just as well use a smartphone? or a tablet?

D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Danny what kind of small changes can you make while the song is playing?

Veteran
Veteran
LEE BATCHELOR:

"my music partner can't all of a sudden send us back to a new chorus the way we can with the Tyros 5...unless someone has a way of changing that smile."

FF: Try the Condutor window...

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: flatfoot
FF: Try the Condutor window...

Ummmm, no. I did quite a lot of that several years ago when I worked with a sax player and occasionally him and a singer. The saxman also fronted us and likes to talk and extend parts of tunes. The problem with the Conductor is you still need some warning that the vocalist or leader has decided to extend a verse or stops singing to talk to someone and I was expected to vamp. It was a near disaster several times. In the heat of battle neither one of them could give me any warning. They're used to bands and they just signal a vamp or take the bridge or whatever.

I finally had to get the guys to swear they would follow the song rather than try to lead it like they normally would. They kinda sorta did it but were not happy about it. They couldn't be themselves any more and it is a legitimate part of performing. It wasn't the sound quality, they loved that, it was the lack of control.

After a few gigs like that I broke out my Korg Pa1XPro arranger keyboard for the reasons mentioned earlier. I have total control that way even if the Korg's styles are not as good as Biab's. It does sound great though and if I had more time I could have created better song specific styles for it.

Playing Biab live on stage is fine as long as you're the leader, singer, whatever and if you have a partner they follow you. Then the Conductor can work.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:
Rich if you are just playing .wav files why do you need the laptop? Couldn't you just as well use a smartphone? or a tablet?

Yeah, I could do a smartphone or tablet, but the .wavs are already on my laptop and transferring tracks to a smartphone or tablet would be another step. My setup is to go from my laptop out to a USB Audio Interface and then to the Mixer. I also use a web-based app for playing the tracks. It stops at the end of each song and I just hit the enter key when I'm ready for the next song.

Last edited by Takamine; 06/07/16 03:19 AM.

Rich

Windows 10, 64 bit | BIAB 2019 PlusPak | Studio One 2 Artist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Lee Batchelor
Joden, I'm slowly moving toward that direction. I use a Tyros 5 keyboard at the moment, which is a superb arranger. For some songs, I will use BIAB backing tracks. The only drawback is the BIAB scores will be etched in stone. That is, if we have a full dance floor, my music partner can't all of a sudden send us back to a new chorus the way we can with the Tyros 5...unless someone has a way of changing that smile.

See if using Ableton can change things for you.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
This and other Abelton vids I've seen are simply playing back static full songs, no different than rendering a Biab song to a wave file.

This thread is about how to rearrange a tune while it's playing like suddenly deciding to skip a verse, extend a solo or you decide to cut it short and jump to the ending.

I think Abelton can do that but I've never found a vid showing exactly how that could work plus Abelton is an expensive program, around $600.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
" This thread is about how to rearrange a tune while it's playing like suddenly deciding to skip a verse, extend a solo or you decide to cut it short and jump to the ending. I think Abelton can do that..."

Yep. It does all that BB Conductor does and much more. Not only does it allow verse, chorus, bridge, intro, outro, etc live control, it will sync video and lights to your show. It brings the miracle of the click track to life....

Click Track Workshop

This video gives a complete walk thru and demonstration of a live stage show using live vocals mixed with pre-recorded vocals, live instruments mixed with live instruments and how to flow into and out of the click track, how to use the click track in conjunction with a cue track.

At around the 52:45 mark, the speaker gets into how to re-arrange a tune while playing live. Everything you question in your quote above is addressed in this video.

Regarding the cost of the software package, you are investing in yourself and a professional career. It is a tool that is necessary if you want to compete at the level as the band in this workshop. That means to me me the same as if you play electric guitar, you also have to invest in an amplifier. So, a satisfactory compromise to me would be to purchase a $600 Epiphone knockoff rather than a $1800 Gibson and purchase Ableton with the money I saved..

In your case, as a keyboardist, if you have 4 keyboards, you may choose to sell one to cover the cost.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 06/07/16 08:54 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thing I found with AL - is it is really tough to get audio parts to jump nicely without obvious artefacts. Although tbh I never used it with BIAB tracks. It (AL) worked well with MIDI files though.

I am using 100% realtracks and getting the segments perfectly aligned (without using bespoke audio loops, or painstakingly creating loops from BIAB RT's) in AL would be tricky and in some cases nigh on impossible I'd reckon.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Wow, great input guys!

I was thinking along the same lines. That is, I would not bring BIAB to the stage, just the exported wave files. I believe there are programs you can get where you can place markers at certain song points, and then skip to them at will. The Tyros 5 may already have that feature. Perhaps this is what Al does? And I quite agree, the skips would need to be seamless. Don't know if that's possible.

Thanks.

Gear: Tyros 5, MOX8, SoundCraft EFX12 mixer, two Bose L1 Compacts, Yamaha HS-8 monitors, BIAB 2016 UltraPlusPAK, Cubase 8, Steinberg UR-44 interface.

"If everyone played a musical instrument, we wouldn't need police officers or armies." Lee B.
L
Expert
Expert
L
Just wondering, if you can control start and stop, choruses etc using midi in BIAB. If so, you could run it with a midi controller. I bought a neat software based midi controller, but I haven't had time to try it out yet.

Luckily I work on my own with BIAB box so I sort of follow my own plans. Certainly, I love having my effects units changing automatically using midi. Even then I get caught out by jukebox from time to time. Even when I write down the lengths of intros, where the solos are etc, in the heat of the moment it goes belly up as anyone who's seen me playing on streetjelly will know! :-)

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: joden
Thing I found with AL - is it is really tough to get audio parts to jump nicely without obvious artefacts. Although tbh I never used it with BIAB tracks. It (AL) worked well with MIDI files though.

I am using 100% realtracks and getting the segments perfectly aligned (without using bespoke audio loops, or painstakingly creating loops from BIAB RT's) in AL would be tricky and in some cases nigh on impossible I'd reckon.

There is a tutorial video (that I can't find quickly this morning) where the instructor builds a song specifically to be able to seamlessly jump from section to section.

He uses an original song (which he obviously knows the tempo and could just input that tempo) but -- to avoid glitches that you mention, he processes the song creating a tempo map that syncs the song with AL. The recorded song BPM is 130 but after the song is synced with AL, he changes the tempo to 132 for live use and the tempo map adjusts as well. He places markers to organize the song in AL and the markers are synced with the tempo map. Jumping from section to section is seamless.

Once a song has been processed, sections can be moved, deleted, copied and pasted, lengthened and shortened as desired.

I will search some more for that YT video and post here for those who may be interested.

An off topic piece - The syncing process to create a tempo map is similar to using the Audio Chord Wizard in BIAB to create an accurate tempo map.

That may be a tip to try that will help tighten up a song for those who may use the BIAB Conductor feature. The ACW creates a unique and accurate tempo map for any song and sync the tempo map to the BIAB chord chart. My thinking is that process should work the same within BIAB as it does in the AL instructional video.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 06/08/16 02:56 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,521
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173