#355662 06/29/16 11:36 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
barryjo Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
When I hit a note on my keyboard, thee is a delay before I hear the note from BiaB. I am using a M-Audio USB to midi interface. Is there a setting to eliminate this or maybe I have to select a different sound. It seems there is about a 1/2 second delay.

barryjo #355689 06/29/16 02:15 PM
Veteran
Veteran
A half second is typical for a basic windows setup using MME drivers. This would be the default settings.

What synth is sending the MIDI and what synth is playing the MIDI (generating the actual sound) and what sound cards/interfaces do you have available?

Knowing these 3 things helps narrow down the answer a bunch (especially 2&3)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #355696 06/29/16 04:58 PM
B
barryjo Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
At this time I am attempting to use what comes with BiaB and Win 10 and this means MME. I read that I should install an ASIO4ALL driver that I will do tomorrow. With this delay, it is impossible to play the keyboard and hear what you are playing so there must be a way to solve this.

Am I asking for to much? I would like to play my midi keyboard along with the BiaB sounds.

barryjo #355699 06/29/16 05:46 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Using ASIO drivers should significantly reduce the latency and allow you to play in real time.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
barryjo #355725 06/30/16 02:26 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Yes... Download the ASIO driver from the manufacturer's web site or load it from the installation disk.... be sure it's the most recent ASIO version for that interface.

ASIO is much better for your interface and it's possible you may need to make some tweeks to the latency and buffers settings but you should be able to easily get the latency numbers under 10ms with ASIO. Anything less that 10ms is practically real time. It's the equivalent delay one hears being 10 feet from the stage amp in a band.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Guitarhacker #355728 06/30/16 02:48 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes, definitely go with ASIO drivers. Steinberg invented the concept. Their main goal was to virtually eliminate latency.

Guitar Hacker: great info. I never knew what the "real world" affect was. 10 ms = roughly 10 feet away. Good to know!! Thanks.

Gear: Tyros 5, MOX8, SoundCraft EFX12 mixer, two Bose L1 Compacts, Yamaha HS-8 monitors, BIAB 2016 UltraPlusPAK, Cubase 8, Steinberg UR-44 interface.

"If everyone played a musical instrument, we wouldn't need police officers or armies." Lee B.
barryjo #355761 06/30/16 12:53 PM
Veteran
Veteran
That's a handy little thing to remember, but it is off by about 10%
I think 1ms is actually closer to 11 feet ..
smile

B
barryjo Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
The ASIO4ALL driver fixed the problem. The latency is minimal now. Thanks all.

barryjo #355788 06/30/16 07:20 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Great. Thanks for letting us know it resolved for you.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
rharv #355801 07/01/16 02:24 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
That's a handy little thing to remember, but it is off by about 10%
I think 1ms is actually closer to 11 feet ..
smile

You misplaced the decimal point.... it's closer to 1.1 feet per second. Do the math.

Sound travels approximately 1100 ft per second depending on a number of factors including altitude and temperature.... it takes approximately 5 seconds to travel a mile.... the old count to 5 to determine how far away lightning is from you, we learned as kids...

1100 feet in a second is 1.1 feet per millisecond (Thousandths of a second. The rule of one foot per millisecond works well enough for rock and roll.

www.herbhartley.com

barryjo #355841 07/01/16 05:50 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Which is why a player sitting at a piano is still getting about a 3ms delay from their fingers hitting the keys to the hammer hitting the string to hearing the sound. It cracks me up on some forums where people say they just can't play at 10ms, the delay is too much. Riiight.

Barryjo, to clarify something you wrote, Biab has no sound, it's a midi generator. Midi is simply computer commands telling a synthesizer what sounds to play. It's the synth that makes the sound. All PG does is include the Wavetable so you can hear something but it's pretty weak. What synth you think has the best sounds is up to you. Synths can be hardware or software. The best ones can cost thousands, good ones several hundred and so-so ones $40-50.

Also, midi has nothing to do with the Real Tracks/Drums. Those are audio files, not midi.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 07/01/16 05:55 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #355858 07/01/16 08:36 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Which is why a player sitting at a piano is still getting about a 3ms delay from their fingers hitting the keys to the hammer hitting the string to hearing the sound. It cracks me up on some forums where people say they just can't play at 10ms, the delay is too much. Riiight.

Bob

Bob, I have read that very few people can detect delay below 15ms and the no one can hear a delay below 10ms. Some can hear delay between 15-20 ms and everyone can hear delay over 20 ms.

Any one who says they can hear a delay below 10ms cracks me up also.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #355870 07/01/16 10:06 AM
Expert
Expert
Just some thoughts;
I used to play guitar in a 6 - 8 piece worship team with a drummer that played an early design Roland V-Drums set. The sound module claimed something like an un-noticable 8 ms latency. I guess that's the time from hitting a trigger to processing the sound through the headphone jack or other output. But, when he monitored only through floor monitors via aux sends from Front Of House "analog" mixer he always seemed late and everybody would follow whatever the actual latency was in the monitors. Then he would correct his trigger strikes by feel of stick on drum head to the band which would then sound late again and in no time everybody was way out of timing. Even though the his floor monitor was right next to his throne this still happened. I connected a KC500 keyboard amp from the sound module and put it right behind him facing forward. Somehow this solved the problem. Don't know why. I suspect he is naturally a late drummer and the keyboard amp just had a better feel than monitors. So, I wonder if some of us have our own human latency that adds to it all. Hopefully we can adjust that to stay on better timing. Kind of like learning to shake a maraca. You have to end your swing/snap a little early so the beads inside strike at the right time. Same might go for those sensitive to computer latency. Practice to get use to the feel, if that even works.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
barryjo #355894 07/01/16 11:45 AM
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Bob, Mario, you're probably right. But I've had audio engineers tell me no one can hear pitch differences of less than six cents, until I thoroughly proved them wrong. Maybe there is somebody out there who can hear tiny delay.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Guitarhacker #355904 07/01/16 01:50 PM
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW
It wasn't the math, it was a typo, I could have swore I quoted your 10 Ms example .. not 1 ms .. getting old I guess.

What I meant to say was 10 ms (your example) is closer to 11 feet than 10 .. and it was meant as humor.. nobody is going to notice the extra foot.

It's amazing the times we live in; we can generate a sound from software in our computer quicker than the actual sound being 12 ft away.
In reality we still need to account for the actual distance we are from the speakers. So in reality, maybe 15' away for many .. but still very acceptable.

Sorry, a bit of humor gone awry.

Last edited by rharv; 07/01/16 01:52 PM.

rharv #355930 07/02/16 02:50 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Very enlightening, guys!

I've played some very large stages where the lead guitarist was 40 or more feet away. The sound operator always asked me if I wanted a wee bit of guitar in my monitor. I always said, "Hell no because they are always so friggin' loud. I can hear him just fine." Trouble is, the songs didn't "feel" right. Based on the formula, the time delay would be about 44 ms! It would be made worse by the fact the amp was pointed toward the audience and not at me! I assume 44 ms is quite significant. I'll never turn down the guitar monitor feed again.

Also, monitor speakers of old were absolute crap. Fortunately, most companies have revamped their designs so monitors are now full range. In my earlier example, I wonder if it be beneficial to bleed some bass guitar through as well? Some how I doubt it because bass waves are extremely long and you're also getting a fair amount of side wash from the subs.

I know we're drifting off topic a bit but this is very important. We're also still talking about producing quality music - Dr. Peter's life-long goal smile.

Last edited by Lee Batchelor; 07/02/16 02:52 AM.

Gear: Tyros 5, MOX8, SoundCraft EFX12 mixer, two Bose L1 Compacts, Yamaha HS-8 monitors, BIAB 2016 UltraPlusPAK, Cubase 8, Steinberg UR-44 interface.

"If everyone played a musical instrument, we wouldn't need police officers or armies." Lee B.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Lee Batchelor
Very enlightening, guys!

I've played some very large stages where the lead guitarist was 40 or more feet away. The sound operator always asked me if I wanted a wee bit of guitar in my monitor. I always said, "Hell no because they are always so friggin' loud. I can hear him just fine." Trouble is, the songs didn't "feel" right. Based on the formula, the time delay would be about 44 ms! It would be made worse by the fact the amp was pointed toward the audience and not at me! I assume 44 ms is quite significant. I'll never turn down the guitar monitor feed again.

Also, monitor speakers of old were absolute crap. Fortunately, most companies have revamped their designs so monitors are now full range. In my earlier example, I wonder if it be beneficial to bleed some bass guitar through as well? Some how I doubt it because bass waves are extremely long and you're also getting a fair amount of side wash from the subs.

I know we're drifting off topic a bit but this is very important. We're also still talking about producing quality music - Dr. Peter's life-long goal smile.

And that's the beauty of those in-ear-monitoring systems..... no matter where you go, as long as the IEM's have radio signal, you have a no-latency audio feed to keep perfect time.

As a player in a 3 piece band, we had to learn the hard way about latency on large stages. After a few gigs where things just "didn't seem right" we learned that no matter how big the stage, we needed to build our nest in the center/front and keep everything close just like the small club stages we played. That solved the issue.

www.herbhartley.com

Guitarhacker #355983 07/02/16 09:24 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Great idea, Guitarhacker. Just because you own three acres of land doesn't mean you need to place the house, garage, and pool 700 feet apart crazy.

Veteran
Veteran
Unless you haven't cleaned the lead singer, er ...ah .... I mean the pool in a few months grin

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
barryjo #359073 07/31/16 07:57 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice
One time in Des Moines, it took me 2 minutes to play the "Minute Waltz" because of latency!!

Having fun!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,659
Posts735,506
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173