Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
OP Offline
I am using RealBand 2016 (3) on Windows 10.

I have purchased and installed the Coyote Electronics ForteDXi synth.

I am using an M-Audio KeyRig 25 MIDI controller.

I have searched and search but found an answer to my question.

I need a step-by-step guide for configuring the ForteDXi synth.

I have been successful at:

- Getting audio from MIDI controller when I press a key - but the sound I hear is the crappy, generic piano sound that comes with Windows.

- I can record a MIDI track and play it back. When I play it back, I can change the sound and select a different sound. (However, I cannot hear this sound when I am actually playing the keyboard - I only hear the generic Microsoft piano.)

Questions:

a. How do I configure the system so I can hear the sound I want while I am playing the MIDI controller?

b. Is there a guide on best practices, a quickstart, or anything like that for this set up - I am assuming that there are a lot of people who have this exact same setup and may be struggling with the configuration.

I'll be grateful for any guidance you can provide.

Thanks!

Hugh Heinsohn
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I only have the basic Coyote, have you done this:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
rb Coyote.jpg (81.1 KB, 110 downloads)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
What Pipeline said

NO offense to Pipeline, but in case that wasn't clear here are some other pics

Good Luck
Larry

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
forte.jpg (711.54 KB, 18 downloads)
forte 2.jpg (1.02 MB, 13 downloads)

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, set Coyote Forte as the default DXi synth in the drop down in Pipeline's image above.
Check the box for Reroute all MIDI ..

Note that RB must be running/active for these settings to take effect.

Also, PGMusic support has recommended that the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth be at the top of the default synth list for Coyote Wavetable use (again, as shown in Pipeline's image), even though it is not technically in use. Not sure if this matters for Forte, it shouldn't, but may be worth testing.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for your help!

I am still stuck, however. When I hit a key on the keyboard, I hear the crappy piano sound with a slight delay (maybe 100 milliseconds) no matter what settings I use for the Forte synth. I can record a MIDI track successfully, and I can change the sound being played back to whatever I want using the Forte control panel (DirectX VST window).

It does not matter what sound I select in RealBand for the track (using the Track/right click/Program menu item).

This has got to be a simple problem but it's really got me stumped.

a. How do I either get rid of or adjust the delay between a key press and sound coming out of the computer when I am playing the keyboard "live"? (I have tried editing the "Visual Delay" and "Audio Delay" settings in the MIDI Driver Setup window and these settings do no have any effect on the delay I am hearing. For example, I can set these to 2000 milliseconds, and the delay stays constant at about 100 milliseconds.)

b. How can I make a different sound come out of the computer when I am playing the keyboard "live"?

See attached screenshots.

Thanks again for any insight on potential fixes!

Forte MIDI Drivers.png (7.15 KB, 88 downloads)
Forte control panel.png (77.64 KB, 88 downloads)
RealBand channel selection.png (26.27 KB, 88 downloads)
RealBand specific synth selection.png (11.78 KB, 88 downloads)
Last edited by hughrheinsohn; 07/03/16 08:42 AM.

Hugh Heinsohn
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I hear the crappy piano sound with a slight delay (maybe 100 milliseconds)

I'm confused; your second image seems to show MIDI channel 1 assigned to a violin, but your 5th image seems to show acoustic guitar.

Are the images correct?
I don't know how you hear a cheap piano sound when using a guitar or violin patch..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
As far as key press to audio delay that is your AUDIO driver (separate from any of your MIDI settings

You are going to need an ASIO driver - if your sound card has a NATIVE one that's usually best. But I suspect you don't have a dedicated USB, Firewire or PCI/PCIe audio device (like a Presonus, Focusrtie, M-Audio, etc. ) probably just the built-in motherboard audio chip (Realtek?), which is fine for most things just doesn't have a good native ASIO driver.

However, there is one call ASIO4ALL

http://www.asio4all.com/

You can google about what ASIO is and does for audio

As to still having "crappy" piano sound I agree with Rharv I would think you are hearing at least a violin? But one problem at a time - pick one

Larry

EDIT-----

Sorry the "pick one" sounds rude, I don't mean it to be. It's just that it's probably just easier for us and YOU to concentrate on one issue at a time so problems and solutions don't get conflated..

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 07/03/16 04:28 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
RealBand
OP Offline
Thanks all and no worries.

I am using the ASIO4all driver.

And yes, it's weird that you can have different sounds selected in the VSTi/DXi control panel and on the RealBand track itself. What I've now discovered is that the RealBand track controls the Forte sound selection, but you can also select a different sound using just the Forte control panel if you like. If you go back to RealBand and select a different sound there, it will override the selection you have in the Forte control panel. I hope that makes sense.

I spent some time in support chat yesterday with a sales rep and he gave me some ideas to try and I've made some progress. He said I should install the LoopBe Internal MIDI driver (http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html). This helped a bit. Now, though, I have the following condition:

a. I can record a MIDI track with the M-Audio KeyRig 25 controller. When I playing the controller live, I hear a weird, heavily echoed sound - unlistenable really - it's like there's a feedback loop somewhere.

b. When I play back the recorded MIDI track, the sound that comes out sounds fine and it's the sound I have selected for the RealBand track.

I'm going to do a chat session with tech support today and I'll report what they tell me to do.

Hugh Heinsohn
RealBand
OP Offline
OK - an update. With the help of Kallum (I believe) in tech support, we got it working.

Here's what they had me do:

a. Update RealBand to 2016 (7) from RealBand (3). (This didn't seem to have any effect but it was a good idea to do in any case.)

b. Close RealBand.

c. Delete the RealBand.INI and RB.CFG files located in the /RealBand/ folder. (I just renamed them at RB.CFG.old and RealBand.INI.old. These files are where the config parameters for the system are stored.

d. Uninstall and reinstall CoyoteForte synth.

e. Relaunch RealBand.

f. Check MIDI Devices menu and make sure it's set up as follows:

- Input Driver: USB O2 (for the M-Audio controller I am using)
- Output Driver: LoopBe Internal MIDI
- Re-Route MIDI playback checked
- CoyoteWT selected as Default synth

At this point the keyboard was working and I was getting CoyoteWT sounds out of it.

g. Now, in the MIDI Devices menu, change the default synth selection to ForteDXi Plug-in.

h. Go to RealBand and select an open track. Make that track a MIDI track. Right click on the Track and select Channel 1. Right click on the Track and select a Program (sound).

Now I have the selected sound coming out of my speakers when I play the MIDI controller and I can record MIDI tracks on RealBand.

Other settings:

- ASIO4All Driver must be selected.
- Make sure the ASIO4All Driver control panel is showing the desired audio output as highlighted in the WDM Device List.
- Set the ASIO Buffer Size to the lowest number of samples possible that don't cause a problem in the sound. Right now I am using 512 samples and this results in very little latency and no audio problems.

Hugh Heinsohn
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hugh

Thanks for the feedback on how you resolved. This can assist others also.

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,689
Posts735,999
Members38,541
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
hcginjections2024, carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez, Isrra29
38,540 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 175