Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tobias
Okay, here's what makes it Country. At 29 seconds he says "No-ow" with an Oklahoma accent. At 1:46 I hear about 6 plucks on banjo strings. And, the guitar in the video looks like a Telecaster. So, yeah, that's country music.

Awesome! I think you may have been the only one to point to specific examples of how this is country. The 29 second part I'm still on the fence about, but I'm with you on eh banjo plucks! wink

GREAT job!

I really should have listen to the video myself better! I was going off of what I heard while driving and didn't come up with those two! smile

Who's the guy with 2 first names trying to pass off a song with the hook line, "She was like, Oh my God. That's my favorite song" as country music? That just drives me crazy.

Luke Bryan. I actually like that song and many of his. To me they are MUCH more country than this song is. Not old school country by a long shot, but has a fair amount of country still to it IMHO.

Thanks again!...and GREAT ears!

Last edited by HearToLearn; 12/02/16 04:14 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have to say this has been a very civil conversation on a hot button topic for a lot of people! I'm impressed!

Overall, I wasn't looking to debate what country is or isn't. I feel I have a pretty good grasp of what sells, and what is "current." It was more in my one listen, I really couldn't find the country in this song. To me it sounds along the lines of something Maroon 5 would do. From phrasing, pacing, lyrics content/theme, instrumentation, production...I just wasn't finding ANY country.

I'm not a lump every song and artist from a genre together kind of person. To me, I see the similarities of a Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan. They have some of the same writers and musicians. I also see the differences. I feel that's what many seem to miss...except for their fans. I think that is in ANY type of music.

For work, I have to listen to A LOT of music that I may not care for...initially. I have found an appreciation for a lot of artists by HAVING to hear the differences. I'm not gifted in theory AT ALL, so I have to make up for it in "just listening."

I have a lot more I will say regarding some of the awesome comments and observations from others. Right now, the chiropractor is calling me in so that is what has to happen now.

Thanks for the great comments! I didn't think I would open the conversation it did. You all rock!...or whatever preference of music you have;)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
its true that all genres are in a state of continual adaptation to changing taste... but there are normally traits that define a genre and make it different from another genre.

The original question asked us to point to ANY part of the song that might have a common denominator with other songs in the country genre. The inclusion of a banjo part seems to be the only one

So in this case, I still say that (even accounting for the natural evolution of genres) this is less a "country song" than it is a "song" performed by a country artist.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think it's a good thing that new Country doesn't sound like the old stuff. All that jangle, twang and steel was gettin' old. grin

If people are buying it, more power to them.

I agree with Bud. I think the real New Country is called Americana now. For me, I'll stick with Rock. laugh

Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
this is less a "country song" than it is a "song" performed by a country artist.

That about sums it up! That is enough to qualify it being on a country station.

Now that I know the rules, I can get in the game wink

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Before replying I did a little research and found some sources of his influences from his site's bio. ( http://www.chasebryant.com/bio/ )

I also found a video that probably sounds more like what would be considered as contemporary country. Judge it yourself . ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f103D9c5OYk )

My humble conclusion... he considers himself a mainstream modern country artist while trying to get a cross-over pop hit with "Room to Breathe".

BTW my searches did produce a country artist thats a lit more to my taste... a real beer joint country artist! Give him a listen. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foVnLIWSir0 )

Note the sign that outlines the sections of the song. Kind of cute.

Last edited by JBlatz; 12/02/16 07:29 AM.

JBlatz
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Well technically speaking, radio stations aside, the song has just joined this collage, not matter what you call it, or how young or old you might be.

Axis of Awesome says it all.

Long commercial but worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ

It's called 4 chord pop people, play it on any station you want.

Listen to it if you are two in the crib, 85 in the assisted living center.

It is what it is and always will be. It's what people buy, whether you make fun of it, love it, or hate it They have been buying it before Elvis was out of high school.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I do know they pulled in some heavy hitters for it. Ashley Gorely and the crew at combustion have done "pretty ok" for themselves!

Quote:
It's called 4 chord pop people, play it on any station you want.

If only it was that simple...it has the potential to be played on any station they want wink

As proof, I remember the Axis Of Awesome thing from a while back. Almost 31 Million views...that's 31,000,000 views...but how many songs have they sold? A lot of people willing to watch "for free." Gotta love 'em though. It's fun to see...at least I think so.

Last edited by HearToLearn; 12/02/16 10:14 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
You gotta remember the CMA show just featured Beyonce and the commie Dixie Chicks together.... so, you figure it out.

Ha...no can do....I heard that too and don't get it either.

Makes one wonder is she that much of an attention [*****] to just show up or did some suit within the CMA staff think it was great idea and actually invite her?!

Back to it...

Kinda made the show way back when Olivia Newton John's winning envelope oops sorry it was John Denver was set on fire by Charlie Rich look kinda tame now. LOL!

HTL - Just sounds like a country singer sangin' a pop song in his country drawl voice to me. It is amazing to watch and hear country get more and more homogenized into the "sound" and beat that's in so many other genres now. But there's an old saying "everything old is new again" so when this fad is over who knows what will be next.

Last edited by Sundance; 12/04/16 04:42 PM.
Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
There was a wonderful quote by Louis Armstrong:

"All music is folk music, I'aint never heard no horse sing a song!"

Last edited by lambada; 12/02/16 09:22 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
"But" . . . it's "not new", you can hear this on any pop station in the world.

So what? Really, who cares what they call country? Not me! If I like it I listen. If I do not like it I don't listen. If someone wants to listen to "real" country (whatever that is) head on over to Amazon or Spotify or wherever and you can grab enough to listen to for the rest of your life! laugh

Hey Three J's . . . I don't care either.

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So, if it sounds good, has some element of something resembling Country, it MUST be Country! That's what I get from all of this. LOL

Carry on... nothing to see here! laugh

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
From my point of view, in Germany we don't get to hear all the music from your side of the pond, when I listen to (mainstream) country music through the decades I'm able to detect the era just by the style of the music. (Mainstream) Country always reflected the current popular music styles. In many cases it was country just because the singer or bandleader wore a cowboy hat or cowboy boots. Yes, there are others where the steel guitar whines so hard or the banjo has a so dominant role that you couldn't sell this in any other market.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Personally, I don't see what the big fuss is about.

Country.... pick your decade.... has never been "one kind of music". It has always been a wide, encompassing genre. It has had influences from jazz, bluegrass, rock, and everything else under the sun in it at one time or another.

To say that "real country" is Haggard, Jones, and Strait..... well I could agree with that assessment on a personal level, but in reality, it's just not so.

If you don't like "modern country", the simple solution..... don't listen to the radio. Dig out the old records and have fun.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Personally, I don't see what the big fuss is about.

Country.... pick your decade.... has never been "one kind of music". It has always been a wide, encompassing genre. It has had influences from jazz, bluegrass, rock, and everything else under the sun in it at one time or another.

To say that "real country" is Haggard, Jones, and Strait..... well I could agree with that assessment on a personal level, but in reality, it's just not so.

If you don't like "modern country", the simple solution..... don't listen to the radio. Dig out the old records and have fun.

I couldn't agree more! Perfectly said. It's not like anyone makes you listen to the radio/specific station/cd/mp3...it's your choice. If it's not, call the authorities...you have MUCH bigger problems!

That being said, my only point was, I couldn't find what would identify that as being a country song. Not upset. Not complaining. I was just curious.

I do feel when you tune to a station to listen to a type of music, you have somewhat of an idea the type of sound you will hear. That the idea behind genres I feel. It helps you sort things. If you like a certain genre, you can find more of the same. If you dislike a genre you can avoid it. It's not a be-all-end all, but a simple reference.

I'm fine with cross-over as well.

This just happen to be a song that really didn't sound like the genre station it was on. To say there are others like it, I would disagree...again, just my opinion. There are some close, but there always seems to be that one or two identifiable things that make you go "oh! there it is!"...lol. I couldn't find it with this.

So for me, there really isn't a fuss. I tried to start the thread by pointing that out. I'm not offended, upset...whatever you want to call it. Simply curious.

Thanks again for all of the input! I keep think I will be able to give better responses to some of the great response we've gotten here. I just haven't had the time to really put them together as there are so many.

I'm all for listen to what you like. If you don't like it, what are you listening to it? Life is simple for me that way.

smile

Off-Topic
W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

As proof, I remember the Axis Of Awesome thing from a while back. Almost 31 Million views...that's 31,000,000 views...but how many songs have they sold? A lot of people willing to watch "for free." Gotta love 'em though. It's fun to see...at least I think so.

If they have those videos monetized at even a 1/4 of a cent per view (and it's probably more than that) that's 7.75 million cents. Which is... a lot...

Will - PG Music
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music

If they have those videos monetized at even a 1/4 of a cent per view (and it's probably more than that) that's 7.75 million cents. Which is... a lot...

I figured someone would say that. And just shy of $80k is nothing to sneeze at by any means...but...it's still not airplay on a station (which was the point that was being made) or people willing to pay for it for that matter. There is a HUGE difference in that.

Sure you can argue that people are paying with their time of sitting at the computer, but there is surely a difference between that and handing over your cash to enjoy something.

I still love the video though smile

Off-Topic
W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music

I figured someone would say that. And just shy of $80k is nothing to sneeze at by any means...but...it's still not airplay on a station (which was the point that was being made) or people willing to pay for it for that matter. There is a HUGE difference in that.

Sure you can argue that people are paying with their time of sitting at the computer, but there is surely a difference between that and handing over your cash to enjoy something.

I still love the video though smile

You're very right! I guess the key these days is diverse revenue streams. $80K every year or so from popular YouTube vids, quadruple that every quarter with t-shirt sales, tours on top of everything, plus $14.31 per year with record sales laugh

Will - PG Music
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
but...it's still not airplay on a station or people willing to pay for it for that matter...Sure you can argue that people are paying with their time of sitting at the computer, but there is surely a difference between that and handing over your cash to enjoy something.

"Airplay" is only one metric nowadays and, arguably, rapidly becoming a less important one. And people never paid for airplay listening...they "paid" by listening to ads just like those on Youtube pay by watching ads.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And just shy of $80k is nothing to sneeze at by any means

Just for perspective, after taxes, I used to bring home about $27,000 from my various IT jobs over my contracting career.

That "just shy of $80,000" would be about 3 years take home pay, so in that position I would have had the option to not work for 3 years, live off residuals, and not take a hit.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,686
Posts735,942
Members38,539
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb
38,539 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 178